COD 4 Demo Problem

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Dot_Idroj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Dot_Idroj
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

ok. i downloaded the COD 4 demo, played it, beat it. but during play it was acting strange and about 3/4 of the way through the sound got stuck and repeated. so i beat it with no sound. so i closed it, wanted to play it again. now i get

Direct X Error

DirectX encountered an unrecoverable Error.

then it closes. i downloaded the newest directx, and ATI drivers. but still nothing.

I DONT GET IT! all of a sudden it just doesnt work.....LAME..

HELP thanks peeps

SPECS: AMD ATHLON XP 3200+ 2.2ghz

1 GB ram

Windows XP Home

ATI Radeon X1300PRO 256mb AGP

DirectX 9.0c

Realtek AC'97 Audio

*before i got the directx error i would get an error sayin somethings wrong with the mssmp3.asi file so i changed it to .bak then it fixed that error only to get my current direct x error*

*also have uninstalled and re-installed twice, still nothing*

*also have restarted computer multiple times*

*have also uninstalled video card drivers and reinstalled, nothing*

Dot_Idroj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Dot_Idroj
forgot to mention, right when i click on the shortcut the screen goes blank like how the it would when it works, then it starts to flicker, once and awhile i will see the explorer bar and my background, this goes on for about 20 seconds then i get the DirectX error.
Dot_Idroj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Dot_Idroj
bump. been trying to get an answer for 2 days...so frustrating:cry:
wigginender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 wigginender
Member since 2003 • 644 Posts

You might not be getting help becauase IMO you are posting in the wrong place or maybe just the wrong forums. Next time try the official COD forums, more fans might be willing to help. ;)

OK, so you claim you had a audio problem but you updated DirectX and your video drivers?! How about the audio drivers? That would make more sense to me. Also, there are some audio in-game settings (options) that you might try lowering to see if that makes a difference. And since this is only a demo, and not the full version of COD4, perhaps youshould justignotre this issue for now and wait and see if the full version has problems (which it probably won't).

karmageddon2k4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 karmageddon2k4
Member since 2004 • 919 Posts
I get the same thing with my ATI x1900xt. My 8800GTX played it without a hitch. Tried my x1900xt and a little ways in the first time i get the direct x error you mentioned. So i decided must be a fluke let me try again...2nd time it locked up my computer. I think it's possibly an ati driver issue with the game
EntwineX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#6 EntwineX
Member since 2005 • 5858 Posts
I got weird sound hickups in the loading screen, which I pressume aren't supposed to be there. Also changing graphics settings didn't work, at least at first, I managed to change the res tho but changing other settings sent the game to desktop with some directx error. But the game itself worked fine, looked good and ran smooth with sound and all using X1950Pro. Aside from reinstalling directx and updating AC97 drivers I have no idea.
Dot_Idroj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Dot_Idroj

You might not be getting help becauase IMO you are posting in the wrong place or maybe just the wrong forums. Next time try the official COD forums, more fans might be willing to help. ;)

OK, so you claim you had a audio problem but you updated DirectX and your video drivers?! How about the audio drivers? That would make more sense to me. Also, there are some audio in-game settings (options) that you might try lowering to see if that makes a difference. And since this is only a demo, and not the full version of COD4, perhaps youshould justignotre this issue for now and wait and see if the full version has problems (which it probably won't).

wigginender

well i posted in 4 other COD forums but they havnt said anyhthing ;)

i also updated my audio drivers that day

well when i access direct x diagnosis tool it says theres a problem accessing directmusic.

but my problem is it doesnt even get to the opening cinematics. just a black screen for 20 seconds and then it gives my my directX error

Dot_Idroj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Dot_Idroj

I got weird sound hickups in the loading screen, which I pressume aren't supposed to be there. Also changing graphics settings didn't work, at least at first, I managed to change the res tho but changing other settings sent the game to desktop with some directx error. But the game itself worked fine, looked good and ran smooth with sound and all using X1950Pro. Aside from reinstalling directx and updating AC97 drivers I have no idea.EntwineX

do you know how i would go about reinstalling DirectX . if you mean re-downloading the newest one and installing i have already done that...:(....multiple times..

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#10 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts
If you do get it running good luck with a X1300. My X1400 bearly ran CoD 2 on DX7 with min settings.
EntwineX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#11 EntwineX
Member since 2005 • 5858 Posts

[QUOTE="EntwineX"]I got weird sound hickups in the loading screen, which I pressume aren't supposed to be there. Also changing graphics settings didn't work, at least at first, I managed to change the res tho but changing other settings sent the game to desktop with some directx error. But the game itself worked fine, looked good and ran smooth with sound and all using X1950Pro. Aside from reinstalling directx and updating AC97 drivers I have no idea.Dot_Idroj

do you know how i would go about reinstalling DirectX . if you mean re-downloading the newest one and installing i have already done that...:(....multiple times..

Well that's what I meant, too bad it didn't help. There is no way to really uninstall it, so the only way is installing again for e.g. the directx version that came with CoD4, it will update files if necessary. I once had a similar problem with Steam games after I had ran scandisk, and "reinstalling" dx9c fixed it.

Dot_Idroj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Dot_Idroj

i just did a DX Diag test and i got a few errors during one of the tests.

Direct3D 7 test results:
Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x80004005 (Generic failure)
Direct3D 8 test results: Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x8876086c (error code)
Direct3D 9 test results: Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x8876086c (error code)

it was working perfectly before i downloaded the COD 4 demo...this is driving me nuts because now i cant play any games...

habitat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 habitat
Member since 2003 • 260 Posts
dude, its a pre-release demo, its bound to have issues. just wait until nov. 5th when it comes out...the issue may be resolved.
habitat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 habitat
Member since 2003 • 260 Posts

i just did a DX Diag test and i got a few errors during one of the tests.

Direct3D 7 test results:
Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x80004005 (Generic failure)
Direct3D 8 test results: Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x8876086c (error code)
Direct3D 9 test results: Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x8876086c (error code)

it was working perfectly before i downloaded the COD 4 demo...this is driving me nuts because now i cant play any games...

Dot_Idroj

you cant play any games? wait...other games are having this issue or just cod4 demo? also, try rolling back your audio drivers, you said something about updating them. did the issue occure before or after you installed the new audio drivers?

Skullheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 Skullheart
Member since 2006 • 2054 Posts

ok. i downloaded the COD 4 demo, played it, beat it. but during play it was acting strange and about 3/4 of the way through the sound got stuck and repeated. so i beat it with no sound. so i closed it, wanted to play it again. now i get

Direct X Error

DirectX encountered an unrecoverable Error.

then it closes. i downloaded the newest directx, and ATI drivers. but still nothing.

I DONT GET IT! all of a sudden it just doesnt work.....LAME..

HELP thanks peeps

SPECS: AMD ATHLON XP 3200+ 2.2ghz

1 GB ram

Windows XP Home

ATI Radeon X1300PRO 256mb AGP

DirectX 9.0c

Realtek AC'97 Audio

*before i got the directx error i would get an error sayin somethings wrong with the mssmp3.asi file so i changed it to .bak then it fixed that error only to get my current direct x error*

*also have uninstalled and re-installed twice, still nothing*

*also have restarted computer multiple times*

*have also uninstalled video card drivers and reinstalled, nothing*

Dot_Idroj

Happens to me too, and pretty much everyone. A lot of people are getting this problem and nobody seems to know what's wrong. Reinstalling, of course, never works either.

Dot_Idroj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Dot_Idroj
it happened before i got the new ones, but yeah first it was on the COD 4 demo but now i cant play any of my games (like battlefield 2)
sparky4550

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 sparky4550
Im getting the same problem :(
Nerevarine-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 Nerevarine-
Member since 2006 • 78 Posts
im having the same problem as you all and i think it's a problem with the new directx. i'm running an x850 pro and since downloading the cod4 demo and it screwing everything, i formatted, and things ran fine for a little bit. i did not install the demo upon format. i did, however, recently get the crysis demo, which also has the newest directx version, and now my computer no longer works again. i have taken every possible measure to fix this, but nothing has worked. it appears that the only solution is to format and avoid getting the new directx version.