Cloud Gaming the Future of Gaming?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ihazbadcom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ihazbadcom
Member since 2011 • 90 Posts

There is this application called Onlive which is a cloud gaming application. What is cloud gaming you ask? Well in cloud gaming games are syncronized and renderd on a remote server on the internet. Because these games are on the internet, to play the games smoothly, you dont need a powerful device. You only need a stong internet. Just the other day I was playing Dirt 3 high quality without lag. I was playing on a crappy laptop. Not only does Cloud Gaming allow you to play games without a powerful system, you can acsees and play these games instantly as long as there is internet. This means no downloading, no installing, no memory usage. Can this be the future of gaming? Probably. There are some bugs with Onlive but I am sure that these will be fixed in the future. Also probably someone will say the game devolopers can delete the games permanantly when ever they want but, 1. why the hell would they do that. 2. There are zero cases of this happening. Anyway post your thoughts down below! :D

Gamerperson33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Gamerperson33
Member since 2011 • 557 Posts
Although the technology is quite good in concept, it's not that great in theory. Right now I would rather play on my PC in full 1080p with mods and stuff, then let a server stream a game to me with less than 720p quality, maybe even worse quality than console games. Also the fact that not everyone has a good internet connection, and once your internet connection starts to get jumpy, so does the stream, worsening your game play. Now for multi-player stuff that doesn't matter, but for singe player games that does. So while I do think that OnLive is good and all, it won't be for another couple of years or even a decade that we can see the full potential to it.
Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Rikusaki
Member since 2006 • 16634 Posts

I'm playing Lego Harry Potter on my phone. It's awesome. This is the future. Developers can develop games for Android and iOS using OnLive's hardware. Just imagine how awesome that would be.

James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

Right now Onlive is poor at best unless your sitting next to there servers. I have a 80/80 connection at college and online will not even let me play. There is many issues with it. And really until they make major imrpovments they aren't going to compete with consoles or pc's. I think possibly this is the future, but i don't think onlive will be the company who does it. I think we will see a company take off in 5-10 years.

Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#5 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
Hopefully no. I refuse to play a game that I don't even have the disk of the files on my Hard Drive Disk.
ArchonOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#6 ArchonOver
Member since 2010 • 1103 Posts

It would be sick if we didn't have to upgrade our computers or download large files, but the quality of the stream is too low and it's too shaky to be able to play reliably.

Lex224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Lex224
Member since 2007 • 225 Posts

It would be sick if we didn't have to upgrade our computers or download large files, but the quality of the stream is too low and it's too shaky to be able to play reliably.

ArchonOver

Upgrading is part of the fun! Without it, you wouldn't get that rush when you're able to play the latest games. It'd be a sad day when that challenge dissapeared.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

User Lists: 1

#8 deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
Member since 2008 • 4403 Posts

We need internet speeds to catch up first.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts
I am just getting into PC gaming, so I hope not. The amount of people that don't even like digital distribution yet is quite big so skipping ahead to cloud gaming wouldn't be any good.
James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

I doubt we will see it take off if it does till the next gen of consoles is over. Which may not be til 2020 or later.

Falconoffury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Falconoffury
Member since 2003 • 1722 Posts

The powers that be will be pushing it, because it does kill piracy, completely. It is the only true anti piracy solution I have seen yet.

I don't think it will be all that popular because bandwidth costs money in most countries. A few years ago, I had unlimited internet in the USA, now I have limits and overlimit fees. Bandwidth seems to be increasing in price, when it needs to decrease for cloud gaming to have a future. You are downloading hundreds of Kb/s while playing these cloud games.

As already mentioned, latency matters, and it is noticable in cloud gaming. It might be a great platform for turn-based strategy and rpg games, but real-time, especially competitive games are not going to ever work so well. The whole infrastructure is too much of a mess in the USA. Connections are taking too many slow, inefficient hops to get to their destinations.

I don't think gamers like being in a position where they have so little control over their games. They are depending on internet infrastructure, possibly hundreds of miles of fiber and copper lines, and let's face it, they are prone to problems. They are depending on government and private entities to keep that infrastructure reliable. I would rather depend on my own computer hardware.

xxxLUGZxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 xxxLUGZxxx
Member since 2011 • 511 Posts

Of course it's the future of gaming. A lot of PC elitists will insist that it's not because they don't want their $1500 gaming computer to become obsolete for gaming...but the cloud is most definitley the future.

The technology is only going to improve, and I'd say within a span of 3-5 years cloud gaming will be a major force. In 10 years, traditional desktop gaming won't exist anymore.

achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts

Of course it's the future of gaming. A lot of PC elitists will insist that it's not because they don't want their $1500 gaming computer to become obsolete for gaming...but the cloud is most definitley the future.

The technology is only going to improve, and I'd say within a span of 3-5 years cloud gaming will be a major force. In 10 years, traditional desktop gaming won't exist anymore.

xxxLUGZxxx
As fast as onlive will grow so will graphics quality in games, so while onlive may go up by 5 points so will graphics quality, we'll be in the same exact boat as we are now. There is no way I see internet infrastructures outpacing advancements in desktop tech or graphics technology and application. Onlive will stay where it's at right now and maintain the same position, to play crappier versions of desktop games on hardware never meant to game. Good for some people, but others desire more than mediocrity.
gt350tsc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 gt350tsc
Member since 2004 • 488 Posts

I've tried it with saints row the third. Game played pretty good for me on a wired connection.

Besides if your far from the server or internet not up to speed. There is a bit of data usage issue. 3GB per hour could eat my 250GB comcast data cap. Depending how much I play.

Edit: I really like the idea of not having to upgrade my computer ever again or on my smart phone.

I do see it as the future of gaming. Maybe as far no more consoles if catchs on and if internet gets upgraded more.

True_Sounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#15 True_Sounds
Member since 2009 • 2915 Posts

realguitarhero5

This. Except I don't think the ISPs (at least in Canada) plan on laying down enough fiber optics to make this feasible across the country, any time soon. They are making a killing already with the limited bandwidth plans.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts
Hopefully no. I refuse to play a game that I don't even have the disk of the files on my Hard Drive Disk. Miroku32
This. Goodbye mods, configs, backing up your saves, playing with options.....
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
You won't need options when you'll be maxing anything at any resolution you might dream of, as for the rest, not a big problem, not a problem at all and definitely irrelevant since you'll have your saves online and accessible anywhere you want.
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

[QUOTE="realguitarhero5"]

True_Sounds

This. Except I don't think the ISPs (at least in Canada) plan on laying down enough fiber optics to make this feasible across the country, any time soon. They are making a killing already with the limited bandwidth plans.

OnLive should have launched in Japan, South Korea, and several European countries first where internet speeds are exceptional. Don't know why they didn't.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts
You won't need options when you'll be maxing anything at any resolution you might dream of, as for the rest, not a big problem, not a problem at all and definitely irrelevant since you'll have your saves online and accessible anywhere you want.DanielDust
and when there's no internet, forget it.
James00715

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 James00715
Member since 2003 • 2484 Posts

The average person doesn't have fast enough internet. That problem will go away in time. Some people don't even have access to high speed internet in their area. That problem is going to be around for a while. In some areas it's just not profitable to build the infrastructure for high speed. The government doesn't consider high speed a utility. That means they aren't willing to subsidize infrastructure costs for those no profit areas. I think Europe has better and cheaper internet, so it might work there. America is a long ways off though.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

I'm playing Lego Harry Potter on my phone. It's awesome. This is the future. Developers can develop games for Android and iOS using OnLive's hardware. Just imagine how awesome that would be.

Rikusaki
No it won't, there is too much latency and routing for it to be viable.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JigglyWiggly_

The average person doesn't have fast enough internet. That problem will go away in time. Some people don't even have access to high speed internet in their area. That problem is going to be around for a while. In some areas it's just not profitable to build the infrastructure for high speed. The government doesn't consider high speed a utility. That means they aren't willing to subsidize infrastructure costs for those no profit areas. I think Europe has better and cheaper internet, so it might work there. America is a long ways off though.

James00715
Not so much bandwidth, but when you have 30ms ping to onlive server's it's pretty noticible input lag. Even on university internet with about 12ms latency it was still fairly noticible.
TH1Sx1SxSPARTA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TH1Sx1SxSPARTA
Member since 2011 • 1852 Posts

Rikusaki
iv always wanted to ask, is onlive your only way of gaming? do you not own a console or pc? cuz if you restrict yourself to just onlive... LMFAO
Dante2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24 Dante2710
Member since 2005 • 63164 Posts

If streaming data is the future of gaming, then that is one bleak future.

iv always wanted to ask, is onlive your only way of gaming? do you not own a console or pc? cuz if you restrict yourself to just onlive... LMFAOTH1Sx1SxSPARTA

He hypes anything into oblivion. I remember him hyping Grand Turismo 5 for months non stop and then he moved onto Onlive.

Falconoffury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Falconoffury

I find it strange that they are marketing fast-paced games with Onlive. It seems like an excellent platform for turn-based games. It is also strange that they aren't focusing on regions with strong internet infrastructure, like Japan. Targetting areas with poor internet latency like the USA and UK with fast-paced games is a poor marketing strategy. They need to focus on the audiences that would get the best experience with their system.

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts
If by future you mean the only way people will play games no lol not possible and I would not want a single method of gaming to completely overtake everything nor should anyone else. If you mean another way people will be able to play games through will its already done that.
DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

ArchonOver

The need to upgrade has already slowed down tremendously my 3 year year old pc and gpu can still handle modern games at good quality graphics settings at my native resolution of 1080p while maintaining good framerates sure I could upgrade my gpu to totally max out games and apply a ton of AA and still get really high framerates but its not a necessity my gaming experience is great already and far above onlive which is below even what consoles offer with there 5 year old tech quite sad really. And at the internet speeds you would need to get an ok quality stream on onlive means you would have little problems downloading games quickly off a DD site(I have a 25mb/s down connection and still is poor quality on onlive and latency issues but I can download even big modern games in under 30 minutes and smaller games are done in just a couple of minutes.) and your still wasting bandwidth by streaming video all the time you play so those with bandwidth caps are not spared if anything there worse off since they have to use bandwidth every time they play as opposed to downloading a game once and being done with it.

Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 2

#28 Gammit10
Member since 2004 • 2397 Posts

Right now Onlive is poor at best unless your sitting next to there servers. I have a 80/80 connection at college and online will not even let me play. There is many issues with it. And really until they make major imrpovments they aren't going to compete with consoles or pc's. I think possibly this is the future, but i don't think onlive will be the company who does it. I think we will see a company take off in 5-10 years.

James161324
I don't have 1/4 the connection that you do, and I play fine using Onlive.
xxxLUGZxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 xxxLUGZxxx
Member since 2011 • 511 Posts

You guy's act like internet speeds won't improve over time. Ten years ago DSL wasn't even that widely available, and I was still using dial-up. Now, my current DSL plan damn near seems like my old dial-up speed.

Google has already started deploying it's super high speed internet...in 10 years time it will probably be spread nationwide.

The cloud concept is starting to become pervaise...it's on everyones iPhone, tons of people are using dropbox...there are several popular cloud OS's, so it's only a matter of time until it entrenches itself in gaming. Onlive is already picking up steam, and it's still very rough around the edges.

In 10 years time, we probably won't even have desktops. With the way the mobile market is skyrocketing, we'll be doing 99% of our computing on handheld devices...further increasing the need for something like cloud gaming.

And yeah, it's highly possible that cloud gaming will be a step or two behind a local gaming machine...but I don't think that's going to be a very practical advantage for very long.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

It's bad enough having multiple YouTube junkies at home. Sometimes, I can't even surf when they're streaming off YouTube all at the same time. What more if they decide to game on Onlive? Once fiber-optic is standard everywhere then I might give Onlive a go.

Falconoffury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Falconoffury

In 10 years time, we probably won't even have desktops. With the way the mobile market is skyrocketing, we'll be doing 99% of our computing on handheld devices...further increasing the need for something like cloud gaming.xxxLUGZxxx

Oh, come on. Not everyone is ever going to like using mobile or handheld devices for gaming. Sitting at a desk with a full size keyboard, mouse, monitor, and surround sound is always going to be the preferred way to game for a certain amount of gamers. A more logical answer is that we are going to see growth on all platforms. Gaming at desks, or sitting at living room couches, or on the go, are all going to exist 10 years from now.

This all depends on cheap, unlimited internet plans that are reliable. Like I said in a past post, my internet costs have gone up. I used to have unlimited internet, and now I have to pay for bandwidth. This happened in the USA. People in Canada and many European countries have it way worse than me. To me, 10 years is a little early to believe that the internet infrastructure will get where it needs to be. Take into account that human population is growing, and internet usage is growing in most of the world.

MikeBr0wne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MikeBr0wne
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
I think there is too much to go wrong, lets stick with either digital download or a hard copy of a game. So long as you actually own the files!
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 JigglyWiggly_

You guy's act like internet speeds won't improve over time. Ten years ago DSL wasn't even that widely available, and I was still using dial-up. Now, my current DSL plan damn near seems like my old dial-up speed.

Google has already started deploying it's super high speed internet...in 10 years time it will probably be spread nationwide.

The cloud concept is starting to become pervaise...it's on everyones iPhone, tons of people are using dropbox...there are several popular cloud OS's, so it's only a matter of time until it entrenches itself in gaming. Onlive is already picking up steam, and it's still very rough around the edges.

In 10 years time, we probably won't even have desktops. With the way the mobile market is skyrocketing, we'll be doing 99% of our computing on handheld devices...further increasing the need for something like cloud gaming.

And yeah, it's highly possible that cloud gaming will be a step or two behind a local gaming machine...but I don't think that's going to be a very practical advantage for very long.

xxxLUGZxxx

10 years? Ha, you don't know how anti competitive cable companies are to even let Google set a foot in. And more important than the issue than throughoutput is routing.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd

[QUOTE="xxxLUGZxxx"]In 10 years time, we probably won't even have desktops. With the way the mobile market is skyrocketing, we'll be doing 99% of our computing on handheld devices...further increasing the need for something like cloud gaming.Falconoffury

Oh, come on. Not everyone is ever going to like using mobile or handheld devices for gaming. Sitting at a desk with a full size keyboard, mouse, monitor, and surround sound is always going to be the preferred way to game for a certain amount of gamers. A more logical answer is that we are going to see growth on all platforms. Gaming at desks, or sitting at living room couches, or on the go, are all going to exist 10 years from now.

This all depends on cheap, unlimited internet plans that are reliable. Like I said in a past post, my internet costs have gone up. I used to have unlimited internet, and now I have to pay for bandwidth. This happened in the USA. People in Canada and many European countries have it way worse than me. To me, 10 years is a little early to believe that the internet infrastructure will get where it needs to be. Take into account that human population is growing, and internet usage is growing in most of the world.

No one says that a super powerful future handheld won't be used as the computer and simply hooked up to a keyboard, mouse, surround sound, and monitor.
Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

Hopefully no. I refuse to play a game that I don't even have the disk of the files on my Hard Drive Disk. Miroku32

I'd say DD websites are the stepping stones to Cloud gaming. We used to get the disk. Now we get the rights to the files. Then we'll just get access to the files through a service?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd

[QUOTE="Miroku32"]Hopefully no. I refuse to play a game that I don't even have the disk of the files on my Hard Drive Disk. Cwagmire21

I'd say DD websites are the stepping stones to Cloud gaming. We used to get the disk. Now we get the rights to the files. Then we'll just get access to the files through a service?

Most games now, you use the disk once and then relegate it to a dark corner somewhere.
Falconoffury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Falconoffury

No one says that a super powerful future handheld won't be used as the computer and simply hooked up to a keyboard, mouse, surround sound, and monitor.realguitarhero5

Our technology may one day get to a point where increasing size from a handheld device to a mid tower desktop does not in any way yield a more powerful device. I don't think that will happen in 10 years, but I can't say it will never happen. Handheld devices are getting more powerful.... but so are desktop computers. The mid tower design not only allows more space to include technology, but also better airflow. If my handheld device heated up like the video card in my desktop, I would probably burn my hand, or the handheld would need a cooling fan powerful enough to cause it to fly away. ;)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd

[QUOTE="realguitarhero5"]No one says that a super powerful future handheld won't be used as the computer and simply hooked up to a keyboard, mouse, surround sound, and monitor.Falconoffury

Our technology may one day get to a point where increasing size from a handheld device to a mid tower desktop does not in any way yield a more powerful device. I don't think that will happen in 10 years, but I can't say it will never happen. Handheld devices are getting more powerful.... but so are desktop computers. The mid tower design not only allows more space to include technology, but also better airflow. If my handheld device heated up like the video card in my desktop, I would probably burn my hand, or the handheld would need a cooling fan powerful enough to cause it to fly away. ;)

Well for starters, there are cables for the PSP that let you play it (at the same resolution obviously) on your TV. Seems like a step in the right direction. Also, I can potentially hook my iPod up to an HDMI cable and play Angry Birds on my TV. Another step in the right direction.