Check Out 'Torment: Tides of Numenera'

This topic is locked from further discussion.

vespuche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By vespuche
Member since 2007 • 1078 Posts

IGN Review - 8.8

$45 on Steam

So it is a successor to Planescape: Torment. I personally haven't played Planescape but I know it is considered a classic. I am sure someone is hyped for this. :)

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Yeah it's very exciting. These games have notoriously unpleasant combat - as fair warning to those who didn't grow up playing old infinity engine games of this sort. But the world, story, player choice, and artistry are superb. If you're a fan of ROLE PLAYING (not DMC or Souls combat styles with light stats/inventory management) these are a dream

vespuche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 vespuche

Gamespot Review is up. 9/10 :)

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 xantufrog  Moderator

rock on. I would be all over this if I didn't have a huge backlog! This is a must-buy for me sometime later this year

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

I actually bought it mostly to support the developer because these hardcore RPGs should always be made.

Setting is great, writing is superb but I personally just don't like turn based RPG combat.

I prefer the Baldurs Gate/Icewind Dale/Pillars of Eternity combat (real time with pause).

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7700 Posts

Have it but I'm going to finish Zelda before I dive in to Torment, Planescape is one of my favorite games all time.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58257 Posts

Really, really, really want to play these kinds of games again, but I find myself dozing off when I do.

I just don't have the focus, energy, or whatnot to do it because of the reading, which is funny because I can read a book no problem. LOVE reading books.

Tyranny, Pillars of Eternity, and Divinity: Original Sin have been sitting on my computer for what seems like an eternity because I just can't play them. Not just those, but Wasteland 2, Shadowrun Returns, Legend of Grimrock 1/2...I've dabbled in all these games and recognize their awesomeness but I just fall asleep.

As a kid I loved Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights, Fallout, etc...all those classic games that were heavy on reading and had slow action. I wonder what happened.

@FelipeInside said:

I actually bought it mostly to support the developer because these hardcore RPGs should always be made.

Setting is great, writing is superb but I personally just don't like turn based RPG combat.

I prefer the Baldurs Gate/Icewind Dale/Pillars of Eternity combat (real time with pause).

Same. These games must keep being made.

vespuche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 vespuche

IGN is live on YouTube, right now!

Link

Drael64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Drael64
Member since 2017 • 2 Posts

Played it right through. Almost plays touch only too if you add gesturesign. It's a great game but its a little buggy at this point. Worth saving often. Honestly this and tyranny were both excellent narratives and this one takes the cake. Neither of those games are long either.

Games I have not made it through however, include wasteland 2, and any of the later shadowruns. I think the combat in the later is a little boring, not so in the former though. Its intimidatingly open world, like Oblivion games, so I just get kind of lost rather than drawn in.

Numera however, you really only need to get past the first area, and it draws you in. Suits my attention span better than the 100 odd hours of yore. Text heavy though. Almost got bored of walls of text just before the end, and ...payoff. Great game, loved it.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#10 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

Really, really, really want to play these kinds of games again, but I find myself dozing off when I do.

I just don't have the focus, energy, or whatnot to do it because of the reading, which is funny because I can read a book no problem. LOVE reading books.

Tyranny, Pillars of Eternity, and Divinity: Original Sin have been sitting on my computer for what seems like an eternity because I just can't play them. Not just those, but Wasteland 2, Shadowrun Returns, Legend of Grimrock 1/2...I've dabbled in all these games and recognize their awesomeness but I just fall asleep.

As a kid I loved Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights, Fallout, etc...all those classic games that were heavy on reading and had slow action. I wonder what happened.

I know how you feel man, I have the same problem these days. Come home from work tired after doing a lot of sitting at a computer reading emails and whatnot, and basically doing the same thing, no matter how good the writing, is just hard to do. Really sucks because I love the idea of these games but I just can't seem to get into a state of mind where I'm not trying to rush through the reading/dialogue and that ends up ruining them.

one day I will hopefully be able get into these types of games again

SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#11  Edited By SerOlmy
Member since 2003 • 2369 Posts

I finished it a week or so ago and have mixed feelings. I kind of agree with Ars in that it is fun to read the narrative, but not really fun to play. The Crisis system maybe works well one time out of the 6 or 7 times I encountered it. And the first city drags and drags much longer than it should IMO (and the desert area is not well done either). Once you reach the Bloom it becomes interesting, but that means the first half of the game doesn't hold up as well. I was a backer so it was a sunk cost for me 4 years ago, but IMO I would not pay full price for it in it's current state. It didn't turn out nearly as well as I had hoped - 6.5/10 from me.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 xantufrog  Moderator

@SerOlmy: that's disappointing to hear

SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#13 SerOlmy
Member since 2003 • 2369 Posts

@xantufrog:

Actually that would be the exact word I would use to describe it - Disappointing. Not terribly so, but not what I had hoped for.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@SerOlmy said:

I finished it a week or so ago and have mixed feelings. I kind of agree with Ars in that it is fun to read the narrative, but not really fun to play. The Crisis system maybe works well one time out of the 6 or 7 times I encountered it. And the first city drags and drags much longer than it should IMO (and the desert area is not well done either). Once you reach the Bloom it becomes interesting, but that means the first half of the game doesn't hold up as well. I was a backer so it was a sunk cost for me 4 years ago, but IMO I would not pay full price for it in it's current state. It didn't turn out nearly as well as I had hoped - 6.5/10 from me.

That's sad.

I bought it just to support these old school RPGs (probably will never get the time to play the game properly).

From what I played though the writing is superb, the setting is great, graphics could be better but are fine yet I can't stand turn based combat. Pillars is more my style.