Change Laptop Screen To One With A Higher Resolution

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Decrate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Decrate
Member since 2004 • 1731 Posts

Anyone done this before? What exactly do I need to know in order to do this?

I understand that each laptop has a different connector to the screen and that is information I have to know in order to pick the right one.

Is that really it? My laptop screen is currently a 17.3 inch and has a resolution of 1600x900. It is also a shitty TN panel that has horrible viewing angles.

I would like to replace it with another 17.3 inch screen with a resolution of 1920x1080 and a higher quality display such as an IPS or PVA panel.

Any help is greatly appreciated fellow gamers.

Also, my laptop model is HP dv7-7023cl though i dont think it matters too much

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
Not worth it,forget that.
GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Not worth it,forget that.MonsieurX

This, and you need to find an Apple screen, I think they are the only Laptop manufacturer that uses IPS screens.

Decrate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Decrate
Member since 2004 • 1731 Posts

Not worth it!??!!?

you havent seen how bad my viewing angles are and how bad the screen washes out!

with 1920x1080 I can also have 2 Word documents side by side without having to zoom out

but thats besides the point, I dont exactly need an IPS panel, any VA panel is fine, or a super high quality TN panel.

also I know screens cost less than 100 dollars and that makes it worth while for me.

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

Get a monitor :P?

No clue. I'm guessing you may need some soldering skills.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

Not worth it!??!!?

you havent seen how bad my viewing angles are and how bad the screen washes out!

with 1920x1080 I can also have 2 Word documents side by side without having to zoom out

but thats besides the point, I dont exactly need an IPS panel, any VA panel is fine, or a super high quality TN panel.

also I know screens cost less than 100 dollars and that makes it worth while for me.

Decrate
He most likely meant it's not worth it learning how to do it on top of the chance of screwing something else up in the process. laptop screens aren't just plug n play. It simply isn't worth the money or effort to replace the screen.
imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts
don't bother, this is why the screen is thing thing you should look at the most when buying a laptop, people will always look at the cpu and maybe gpu then get a i7 laptop with a crappy 1366 x 768 tn screen rather than some amd system with a nice isp 1920 x 1080 display and mostly they don't even need the slightly faster cpu.
soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 soolkiki
Member since 2008 • 1783 Posts

You have two choices: Learn to solder and spend less money, or take it to a place and replace the screen and spend about $250. (I repaired my screen for $200, I imagine that getting a better screen might just be a bit more money).

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

Anyone done this before? What exactly do I need to know in order to do this?

I understand that each laptop has a different connector to the screen and that is information I have to know in order to pick the right one.

Is that really it? My laptop screen is currently a 17.3 inch and has a resolution of 1600x900. It is also a shitty TN panel that has horrible viewing angles.

I would like to replace it with another 17.3 inch screen with a resolution of 1920x1080 and a higher quality display such as an IPS or PVA panel.

Any help is greatly appreciated fellow gamers.

Also, my laptop model is HP dv7-7023cl though i dont think it matters too much

Decrate

http://www.laptopscreen.com/

Also as someone who has changed out laptop screens, it isn't as hard as all these dufuses are trying to say.  No soldering required.

Now, depending on the connector you may be able to put a higher res panel on it, however that isn't likely unless your model came with a version that had a higher res screen.

To cut costs they put in a connector that will be the bare minimum to drive the resolution usually and in that case you are SOL.

You can also go from crappy gloss to glorious matte.