FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

Like always, consoles ruin PC games. I'm having great fun and the game still looks gorgeous, but it could have looked better:

http://games.on.net/2015/05/the-witcher-3-graphics-downgrade-pc-ps4-xb1/

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

If they made the foliage look less 2010 and more 2015 it probably wouldn't even matter. That's one of the most noticeable downgrades I can tell from the screenshots I've seen.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

That's why I don't pay attention to hype and early looks. Developers like to display screenshots straight out of powerful development workstations. It's almost guaranteed the final product will be downgraded to accommodate a variety of hardware, including less capable PCs.....

Developers have been doing this for decades. Not surprised at all.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#4 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69362 Posts

I find this claim awfully hilarious when computers have the widest range of performance when compared to consoles. The fact of the matter is that when games are made for PCs numerous hardware considerations has to be considered that significantly dwarfs console limitations. Consoles aid in setting the standard and PC gaming has always benefited graphically from newer consoles.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FelipeInside

@Pedro said:

PC gaming has always benefited graphically from newer consoles.

Huh?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Pedro

@FelipeInside said:
@Pedro said:

Huh?

That is surprising info to you? Where have you been the last 10+ years?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#7 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58847 Posts

The mouse and keyboard controls are horrific.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Pedro

@uninspiredcup said:

The controller isn't better.

Priestwithgun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Priestwithgun
Member since 2015 • 132 Posts

@FelipeInside: Well he is not wrong,new consoles means better graphics for multiplatform games

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

Only problem I have is the grass.

Everything else looks good enough to me.

Priestwithgun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Priestwithgun
Member since 2015 • 132 Posts

Still waiting for courier to deliver it(preordered) *sigh*

I get a free witcher 3 t-shirt as preorder bonus though,will post when I get my hands on it

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Pedro

@RyviusARC said:

Whats wrong with the grass?

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

@Pedro said:
@RyviusARC said:

Whats wrong with the grass?

It's basically just 3 cardboard pieces laid out to form a triangle and it looks really flat.

And for some reason there is very little in shading on the grass to differentiate one piece from another so it all just merges together which doesn't look that good.

And this is with HBAO+ on.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FelipeInside

@Pedro said:
@FelipeInside said:
@Pedro said:

Huh?

Still don't get what you mean.

Alucard1475

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 Alucard1475
Member since 2004 • 564 Posts

"The billowing smoke and roaring fire from the trailer? "It's a global system and it will kill PC because transparencies...."

What does that even mean? Why did they show it if they knew it wouldn't work?

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#16  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Patch to tweak the .ini files more? Sweet. I'm here hoping there is a foliage mod. It really makes the game look bad with its draw distance.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#17  Edited By deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

I love how most of the PC players are having trouble running this, yet they think that the game should push the graphics even harder.

I'm playing this on a modest PC, and I'm happy that I can run it well. I'm sorry for holding back the people with the $1000 GPUs.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By uninspiredcup

I agree, the foliage does look like shit. I had GTA San Andreas booted up the other day, and it was shockingly comparable, that also has intersected X textures.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

Like always, consoles ruin PC games. I'm having great fun and the game still looks gorgeous, but it could have looked better:

http://games.on.net/2015/05/the-witcher-3-graphics-downgrade-pc-ps4-xb1/

Downgraded fallout new vegas too.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@FelipeInside said:
@Pedro said:
@FelipeInside said:
@Pedro said:

Huh?

Still don't get what you mean.

devs focus on consoles, when consoles are outdated, it affects us too. Problem being this gen is still shitty for console hardware

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#21  Edited By Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

Actually they didn't confirm a downgrade. The info here is contradicted by an interview with Eurogamer where they state the game in its initial state was a vertical slice. It worked well for what it was, but once they actually started building a real game around it things started breaking. This wasnt an issue over things working poorly, but not working at all.

In short, there never was a version of TW3 that actually looked like the original trailer (something CDPR communicated extremely poorly). Only disconnected segments of demo.

Now could we have gotten a game that looked like that? Sure. But then there would have been "downgrades" in other places, making the game less fleshed out in some ways than what we see now. The only differnece between the graphics downgrade and this hypothetical one is that we can see and get angry about the former, we know exactly what we are missing out on. But if it was the latter downgrade we had would we be more or less upset?

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#22 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

...They aren't that bad at all. Dragon Age 3 had horrific keyboard controls at launch. W3's are a little funky but its 100% playable once you turn the mouse sensitivity down a bit. They are no more funky than Arma 2/3's for instance and those are the most PCish PC games around. I'm using a kb/m even though I have the option to use a controller.

Please keep your unsubstantiated drivel to system wars.

SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#23 SerOlmy
Member since 2003 • 2369 Posts

I find it amusing up until a week ago CDPR was on the same pedestal as Valve and deified because of their anti-DRM and PC first stance. Now they have sold out to the consoles and everyone has turned on them, just like with Crytek 5 years ago. I can't comment personally on their games, I have never played any of them, but I find the irony particularly entertaining.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By uninspiredcup

@with_teeth26 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

...They aren't that bad at all. Dragon Age 3 had horrific keyboard controls at launch. W3's are a little funky but its 100% playable once you turn the mouse sensitivity down a bit. They are no more funky than Arma 2/3's for instance and those are the most PCish PC games around. I'm using a kb/m even though I have the option to use a controller.

Please keep your unsubstantiated drivel to system wars.

I'm sorry if having an opinion on something that has been regarded by many as bad has offended you my friend, no disrespect.

Not sure why you brought up Arma 2/3, an entirely different genre. Two Worlds 2, Assassins Creed, Grand Theft Auto and even Batman: Arkham City and Shadow Of Mordor would have been more comparable. All of which work perfectly fine on a mouse and keyboard, btw.

Doozie78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By Doozie78
Member since 2014 • 1123 Posts

Oh my god, people are still bitching about graphics? Let it go.

I've only used the kb+m controls and it feels just fine to me, quick and accurate as usual.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

They didn't admit to "downgrading" it, they admitted to needing to scale back to get it running at reasonable levels on consumer hardware. They said, as they have all along, that development process goes down like this. And I agree. I really don't believe it's a scam.

I just don't get it - half the threads on here are complaining about how high the requirements are, and the other half are complaining that it needs to look even better... people wouldn't even be able to play the thing with 980s then! Fact is, this is the most gorgeous and fleshed out fantasy world I've played in, period

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 uninspiredcup

A patch has been released, supposedly performance as well as the keyboard controls have been improved.

PDATE: CDPR just released patch 1.03 for the PC, this is what it contains:

Improves stability in gameplay and the UI

Improves performance especially in cutscenes and gameplay

Fixes grass and foliage popping that could occur after density parameters were changed

Improves Nvidia Hairworks performance

Boosted texture anisotropy sampling to 16x on Ultra preset

Sharpen Post-process settings extended from Off/On to Off/Low/High

Blood particles will now properly appear after killing enemies on the water

Corrects a bug where player was able to shoot bolts at friendly NPCs

Improves menu handling

Corrects an issue with Stamina regeneration while sprinting

Fixes a cursor lock issue that sometimes occcured when scrolling the map

Generally improves world map focus

Improves input responsiveness when using keyboard

Corrects some missing translations in the UI

Corrects an issue in dialogue selections

Rostan Muggs is back

Minor SFX improvements

XIntoTheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 XIntoTheBlue
Member since 2009 • 1070 Posts

People froth at the mouth too much about this. The game looks good as it is. It doesn't need to beat out the best game with the shiniest graphics to be enjoyable. I'd also rather not shell out hundreds of dollars just to get acceptable framerates, either.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#30 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@xantufrog said:

They didn't admit to "downgrading" it, they admitted to needing to scale back to get it running at reasonable levels on consumer hardware. They said, as they have all along, that development process goes down like this. And I agree. I really don't believe it's a scam.

I just don't get it - half the threads on here are complaining about how high the requirements are, and the other half are complaining that it needs to look even better... people wouldn't even be able to play the thing with 980s then! Fact is, this is the most gorgeous and fleshed out fantasy world I've played in, period

Yeah, the article didn't really complain that they had to nerf the PC version for consoles. It just said that logically by having to support multiple platforms that they can't put as much into it as they would have if they had focused on a single platform, but releasing the game on any one platform is not economically viable.

-Byshop

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 FelipeInside

@Byshop said:
@xantufrog said:

Yeah, the article didn't really complain that they had to nerf the PC version for consoles. It just said that logically by having to support multiple platforms that they can't put as much into it as they would have if they had focused on a single platform, but releasing the game on any one platform is not economically viable.

-Byshop

"It just said that logically by having to support multiple platforms that they can't put as much into it as they would have if they had focused on a single platform"

That's basically what is known as downgrading. The REAL reason is that they didn't want console gamers to complain when their version looked inferior.

"but releasing the game on any one platform is not economically viable."

Witcher 1, Valve and Blizzard say hello.

(I say all this but at the same time say that Witcher 3 looks great, and it's an awesome game)

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Byshop  Moderator

@FelipeInside said:

"It just said that logically by having to support multiple platforms that they can't put as much into it as they would have if they had focused on a single platform"

That's basically what is known as downgrading. The REAL reason is that they didn't want console gamers to complain when their version looked inferior.

(I say all this but at the same time say that Witcher 3 looks great, and it's an awesome game)

Witcher 1 was PC exclusive, but that was eight years ago when PC exclusives were not yet that uncommon. Obviously, this is an ever changing industry so you can't really point to something that worked nearly a decade ago and say "hey, it worked then so it would also work today!". Also, Blizzard games, while mostly (but not entirely) PC exclusive have a HUGE following already that they can bank on, but that didn't stop them from releasing Hearthstone on pretty much every platform they could and later porting Diablo 3 to consoles.

Sure, games like Starcraft II are more expensive to make and are PC exclusive, but that game has a huge competative multiplayer component to drive it. Competative gaming leagues will keep that game alive for YEARS just like Starcraft 1 and Warcraft 3 before it. Witcher 3 is a single player, story driven RPG.

Like it or not, the PC market has dwindled because consoles have eaten some of its market share. It was different when there was a large rift between what a console could do versus a mid to high end PC, but these days the latest gen consoles can keep up with many of the PCs out there. The average gamer doesn't really care about the differences between what a PS4 can do versus a much more expensive gaming PC when the console is much cheaper, easier to set up, less prone to issues, etc. That is the reality of the gaming climate we live in today. PC exclusives can still exist, but if you look at all the recent PC exclusive single player RPGs that have come out you'll see that many of them had to resort to crowdsourcing to get made (Wasteland 2, Shadowrun Returns, Divinity: Original Sin, Pillars of Eternity, etc).

-Byshop

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 FelipeInside

@Byshop said:
@FelipeInside said:

Witcher 1 was PC exclusive, but that was eight years ago when PC exclusives were not yet that uncommon. Obviously, this is an ever changing industry so you can't really point to something that worked nearly a decade ago and say "hey, it worked then so it would also work today!". Also, Blizzard games, while mostly (but not entirely) PC exclusive have a HUGE following already that they can bank on, but that didn't stop them from releasing Hearthstone on pretty much every platform they could and later porting Diablo 3 to consoles.

Sure, games like Starcraft II are more expensive to make and are PC exclusive, but that game has a huge competative multiplayer component to drive it. Competative gaming leagues will keep that game alive for YEARS just like Starcraft 1 and Warcraft 3 before it. Witcher 3 is a single player, story driven RPG.

Like it or not, the PC market has dwindled because consoles have eaten some of its market share. It was different when there was a large rift between what a console could do versus a mid to high end PC, but these days the latest gen consoles can keep up with many of the PCs out there. The average gamer doesn't really care about the differences between what a PS4 can do versus a much more expensive gaming PC when the console is much cheaper, easier to set up, less prone to issues, etc. That is the reality of the gaming climate we live in today. PC exclusives can still exist, but if you look at all the recent PC exclusive single player RPGs that have come out you'll see that many of them had to resort to crowdsourcing to get made (Wasteland 2, Shadowrun Returns, Divinity: Original Sin, Pillars of Eternity, etc).

-Byshop

I don't disagree with any of your points, but Witcher 3 being a PC exclusive would have sold well.

And I still think that developers should code backwards:

- Create the PC version first pushing the tech as far as it can go

- Offer lower graphical and demanding versions for console and people with medium sized gaming PCs.

- Those that can afford to buy the latest tech should be allowed to play the game at highest setting. Those that can't and don't want to, tough. (You can't drive a Ferrari if you only have money for a Kia)

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 uninspiredcup

The patch did seem to help the controls abit, the weird 1-2 second pause while turning appears to be much more immediate.

The game has kind of pissed me off so I will play Shadowrun Dragonfall instead and come back at a later date when all the DLC is implemented as well.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 FelipeInside

@uninspiredcup said:

The patch did seem to help the controls abit, the weird 1-2 second pause while turning appears to be much more immediate.

The game has kind of pissed me off so I will play Shadowrun Dragonfall instead and come back at a later date when all the DLC is implemented as well.

Shouldn't let little things like that piss you off. Game is awesome if you can get past it.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Byshop  Moderator

@FelipeInside said:

I don't disagree with any of your points, but Witcher 3 being a PC exclusive would have sold well.

- Offer lower graphical and demanding versions for console and people with medium sized gaming PCs.

- Those that can afford to buy the latest tech should be allowed to play the game at highest setting. Those that can't and don't want to, tough. (You can't drive a Ferrari if you only have money for a Kia)

That would have resulted in a much more expensive game. Salaries have to be paid to your developers if you're going to keep them around, and starting on a port right after the PC release could significantly increate production time (not to mention delaying DLC). These companies don't have unlimited resources, and Witcher 3 is already the most expensive game to come out of Poland.

-Byshop

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 FelipeInside

@Byshop said:
@FelipeInside said:

That would have resulted in a much more expensive game. Salaries have to be paid to your developers if you're going to keep them around, and starting on a port right after the PC release could significantly increate production time (not to mention delaying DLC). These companies don't have unlimited resources, and Witcher 3 is already the most expensive game to come out of Poland.

-Byshop

I would think it would be easier to create your best product, and THEN take things away (lower requirements) for the weaker platforms.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Byshop  Moderator
@FelipeInside said:

I would think it would be easier to create your best product, and THEN take things away (lower requirements) for the weaker platforms.

If those platforms were just weaker PCs, sure, but they are completely different platforms with their own development tools. The game has to be written for each one, it's not just a question of taking away graphics options that they can't handle. Scoping out a significantly different version of the game for each platform in addition to writing it for each platform is expensive and time consuming.

-Byshop

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts
@FelipeInside said:
@Byshop said:
@FelipeInside said:

-Byshop

I don't even understand how that makes sense to you.

Creating a game that works on all platforms at the start is far less expensive. Creating a graphical powerhouse and then spending more time and money trying to get those high end visuals to work on lesser hardware is definitely not the best approach for any game these days.

The Witcher 2 on 360 wasn't just the PC version on lower settings. They had to completely change the lighting and effects just to make it run on that platform.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 FelipeInside

@JangoWuzHere said:
@FelipeInside said:
@Byshop said:
@FelipeInside said:

I don't even understand how that makes sense to you.

Creating a game that works on all platforms at the start is far less expensive. Creating a graphical powerhouse and then spending more time and money trying to get those high end visuals to work on lesser hardware is definitely not the best approach for any game these days.

The Witcher 2 on 360 wasn't just the PC version on lower settings. They had to completely change the lighting and effects just to make it run on that platform.

That's what I mean though.

Take GTA5. The PS3 and XBOX360 version are basically the same game but with low settings (you can tell cause of the lower textures on the ground etc).

Aren't engine scalable? Wouldn't it be easier to create an engine (and game) that pushes the PC platform to the max it can go, and then just lower each asset for other platforms? (I'm no programmer, just my train of thought here)

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

To be honest I don't really care since I'm too busy enjoying the game. Game still looks great anyway.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto said:

That's why I don't pay attention to hype and early looks. Developers like to display screenshots straight out of powerful development workstations. It's almost guaranteed the final product will be downgraded to accommodate a variety of hardware, including less capable PCs.....

Developers have been doing this for decades. Not surprised at all.

AC: Unity didn't have this issue. Despite it's initial performance problems and bugs, It was made for consoles too and graphically it's fantastic. Even the shingles on the roofs are tessellated all with excellent detail but in Witcher 3 you can see how flat most everything is. They downgraded for the wrong reasons...to meet deadlines and save the headaches and time of dealing with scaling graphics to hardware and all the engine issues that arise from doing that.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#44 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

@doozie78 said:

I've only used the kb+m controls and it feels just fine to me, quick and accurate as usual.

They will always bitch about graphics. It's what validates most of their existences.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Byshop  Moderator

@FelipeInside said:

Take GTA5. The PS3 and XBOX360 version are basically the same game but with low settings (you can tell cause of the lower textures on the ground etc).

Aren't engine scalable? Wouldn't it be easier to create an engine (and game) that pushes the PC platform to the max it can go, and then just lower each asset for other platforms? (I'm no programmer, just my train of thought here)

No, the PS3 and 360 versions aren't the "same game". They are two games designed to be the same but written for two completely different platforms. Things like art assets, 3d models, voice active, music, and the fundamental rules of the game are common between the two but they are written in different development platforms/languages/etc. It's not as much effort as making two completely different games, but it's still a lot of effort and it's a lot more effort if you do it in two completely separate development efforts.

-Byshop

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 FelipeInside

@JustPlainLucas said:
@doozie78 said:

They will always bitch about graphics. It's what validates most of their existences.

Who are you referring to as THEY and THEIR?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By FelipeInside
@Byshop said:
@FelipeInside said:

No, the PS3 and 360 versions aren't the "same game". They are two games designed to be the same but written for two completely different platforms. Things like art assets, 3d models, voice active, music, and the fundamental rules of the game are common between the two but they are written in different development platforms/languages/etc. It's not as much effort as making two completely different games, but it's still a lot of effort and it's a lot more effort if you do it in two completely separate development efforts.

-Byshop

Yeah but my point is, wouldn't it be easier to create the game at it's highest setting, then lower each asset depending on platform (and requirements)

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Byshop  Moderator

@FelipeInside said:

Yeah but my point is, wouldn't it be easier to create the game at it's highest setting, then lower each asset depending on platform (and requirements)

You're not understanding me. Trust me on this, I work for a software development company and I understand how development projects work.

-Byshop

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 FelipeInside

@Byshop said:
@FelipeInside said:

You're not understanding me. Trust me on this, I work for a software development company and I understand how development projects work.

-Byshop

It's not that I don't trust you, I was just wondering if there was another way where everyone is happy and there isn't a need for downgrading :)

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Pedro

@FelipeInside said:

The answer is no. Its easier to create a game with at the "lowest" to completion and add more advance effects and features for the higher end systems afterwards. There is no magical switch that will automatically downgrade a game for the desired platform. Think about it like this, if the game can run well on the weaker system you know with great certainty that the faster systems would not have a hiccup when running the said game.