Car audio question pertaining to high pass filters?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by eastsideboy (294 posts) -

I will be getting some 4 inch Polk dxi400 speakers put in soon along with the Alpine MRP F300. I was curious to know what should I set the High Pass Filter to? I was told that it wouldn't be a good idea to try and get any bass out of the speakers and that I should set the HPF to about 400hz. Is this correct, or are there any other suggestions out there? Thanks!

#2 Posted by kraken2109 (13229 posts) -

I will be getting some 4 inch Polk dxi400 speakers put in soon along with the Alpine MRP F300. I was curious to know what should I set the High Pass Filter to? I was told that it wouldn't be a good idea to try and get any bass out of the speakers and that I should set the HPF to about 400hz. Is this correct, or are there any other suggestions out there? Thanks!

eastsideboy

400hz would be way too high. I can't give you an exact number without listening, you'd be best off experimenting.

If you don't have a sub I wouldn't recommend using a high pass filter - you're just losing a load of the music.

#3 Posted by bulby_g (1521 posts) -
Even with a sub that would be extreme. Most of the low end power is around 30-200hz so you'd be looking at fiddling between 80-200 I'd say but that would depend on the car and setup. As Kraken says, if you don't have a sub, don't high pass them.
#4 Posted by edinsftw (4241 posts) -

I tune mine to 40 using alpine type-r for front and rear with an alpine amp and a kenwood amp with a JL 12" v6

You want it tuned low even if u have a sub it helps with the blending between the speakers and sub.

However if you dont have a subwoofer put hi pass on and tune it to 30. 

Ive worked with the polks before and they accept lower end frequencies than the alpine so it should sound great.

#5 Posted by kraken2109 (13229 posts) -

I tune mine to 40 using alpine type-r for front and rear with an alpine amp and a kenwood amp with a JL 12" v6

You want it tuned low even if u have a sub it helps with the blending between the speakers and sub.

Ive worked with the polks before and they accept lower end frequencies than the alpine so it should sound great.

edinsftw
Why would you use a crossover at all if there's no sub? You're just cutting off the music.
#6 Posted by edinsftw (4241 posts) -

[QUOTE="edinsftw"]

kraken2109

Why would you use a crossover at all if there's no sub? You're just cutting off the music.

The speakers he has picked are made to play with a sub, they will attempt to play tones they cant actually play that well, at higher volume levels it becomes distortion. just like how almost all car mono amps come with a cut off for subs from 15hz -25hz. Car audio is quite a bit different than home audio.

#7 Posted by dennickman (4 posts) -
Has any Car Dvd problem? pioneerdoubledin.com give the best solution because here are more best reviews of double din car stereo,receiver. anyone can get this review.