Can't login to steam?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Godofnerdyness (3248 posts) -

I try to and I get the error "Steam is having trouble connecting to the steam servers"... Never happened before.

#2 Posted by chris24l (1286 posts) -

yeah I got the same problem, they better fix it soon. Been about 15 minutes so far for me. Probably the sale they are having.

#3 Posted by OoSuperMarioO (6539 posts) -

It'll be available soon bud, same process is occurring with me.

#4 Posted by Tresca_ (869 posts) -

They seem to be carrying out maintenance.

I get the same message.

#5 Posted by stele29 (551 posts) -

yeah I think they are having some problems today. Could be weather related. I remember a while back when a big storm goes through seattle it tends to hit the power grid hard. In any event, if you disable your network connect or disconnect your ethernet cable and try to log on, you should be able to go into offline mode and play your single player games. It only works if you had remember passwork on.

#6 Posted by TheWalrusKing (956 posts) -

what I hate is I cant play empire total war without logging in, that sucks, i mean total war isnt down, steam is!

#7 Posted by TheFragcat (2466 posts) -

Sucks. I was in the middle of UT3.

#8 Posted by REforever101 (11224 posts) -

They seem to be carrying out maintenance.

I get the same message.

Tresca_
wow....i literally just finished downloading fc1. good timing
#9 Posted by chris24l (1286 posts) -

yeah I think they are having some problems today. Could be weather related. I remember a while back when a big storm goes through seattle it tends to hit the power grid hard. In any event, if you disable your network connect or disconnect your ethernet cable and try to log on, you should be able to go into offline mode and play your single player games. It only works if you had remember passwork on.

stele29

how do you have remember passwork on? thanks. looks like their site is back up, I still can't login though.

#10 Posted by chris24l (1286 posts) -

its back up.

#11 Posted by Benjiman_Guile (199 posts) -
YAY, time for some 25 dmg pounces, or ]melee'd-to-death] trying!
#12 Posted by DangerDaveZ (43 posts) -
Don't worry about it. They're most likely just doing maintenance or something like that. Maybe too many people are on or something. Try again in a few minutes.
#13 Posted by stele29 (551 posts) -

[QUOTE="stele29"]

chris24l

how do you have remember passwork on? thanks. looks like their site is back up, I still can't login though.

I mean "remember password". If you have it set to remember you info (no need to type anything to login) and your network connection is gone, it will give you the option to play in offline mode. You will need to disable your network connection to get this to work, assuming you were in online mode last time you played.

Another option is to just keep steam in offline mode all the time except when you need to patch, download, or buy something. After login, under File you can select offline mode. Steam will restart in offline mode. At that point you don't need internet to play any of your games. So if steam dives for a few hours it won't affect you. Obviously if your playing multiplayer games this won't help. But for other posts who were just trying to play Empire or any of the other single player games, offline mode works just fine.

#14 Posted by IC94 (3 posts) -
Hey people can you please help me wehn i start MW2 and click play it says you must be signed in to Steam in Online mode.I dont get it i em signed in to the website and the Steam Program i dont get this some one plsese help.