Can't istall Borderlands?!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

leeandziggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 leeandziggy
Member since 2010 • 78 Posts

Hello all, I'm new to PC gaming and have only ever installed 2 games to play before so please bear that in mind. I put my Borderlands DVD in the DVD drive, ran the installer, and the Wizard came up, I agreed to the terms and conditions, close all other aplications, then entered my name, selected the option to allow anyone who accesses the computer, then it tells me where it' going to insall the game,I cick next bt the next screen gives me 2 options, to either cancel or go back and re enter te insallr information?...

Please help.

TheMistique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 TheMistique
Member since 2008 • 1421 Posts
Is your hard drive full? Maybe you have 2 partitions and one is full. Try installing in a different location
leeandziggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 leeandziggy

The drive was quite full so I tried installing it on another one. It still said the same options though. I pressed next anyway and the error I get no is this.

Error 1721. There is a problem with this windows installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

windows 7 vista or xp?

if its vista it wont install normally on vista a workaround must be used (unless this is the goty or bought off steam) and for windows 7 it has NO support for windows 7 and wont install off a disk it needs to be via digital download to work. or you need to get the GOTY edition in retail that too would work.

leeandziggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 leeandziggy

Windows 7 64 bit, so that means I can't use my game?...

Edit: Just realized what GOTY means!, that's what I have?...

no1alboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 no1alboogie
Member since 2003 • 1360 Posts

... here's a few things you can try:

1. make sureyour OSis updated
2 if you have antivirus installed of any version stop the realtime protect side or stop the antivirus service just for the install.
3. if the install will not run now then use a free registry cleaner and delete the install folder under program files.
4. if then it still dosent install , copy the cd's to seporate folders on your harddrive and run from there....
.... I have a feeling no.2 may be your problem

leeandziggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 leeandziggy

Thank you, I will give that a go now. Yesterday I thought I had it cracked when I could get the installer to run by manually double clicking the 63kb file on the disc. Someone else on the Borderlands forum found that that worked for them. But it just froze at 33 minutes left. Then explorer stoped responding.

I already use CCleaner and regularly fix any problems with the registry but thanks for the suggestion, I had neglected it for a while and there were a few errors found. I was up to date on my updates other than I had previously decided to hold off on the service pack, I have it installed now though. With the Borderlands DVD my computer wont even shut down?...

I put the Windows 7 instalation CD in and ran the repair option, there were a few errors that's why I installed the service pack.

What a waste of a weekend!

leeandziggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 leeandziggy
I've done it! For anyone who experiences this problem, the solution for me was the update of Windows 7 to the Service Pack 1 and to ignore the options on the wizard. I found when I double checked the updates that the first time I tried to install service pack 1 the update had failed. But even after this when I ran the wizard (by lauching the 63kb item on the disc) I still only had the two options, one to go back and re enter the instalation information or two to press cancel and abort the instalton. I chose a third option and clicked next anyway, yesterday wiout the service pack installed this did not work, but once the service pack was installed, everything went fine. I hope this works for anyone else that experiences this problem.