Can't Install The Witcher 2! WTH!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

robertoenrique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 robertoenrique
Member since 2004 • 1191 Posts

Guys I just finished the 1st Witcher so I went to my PC gaming shelf to unpack, unbox and installmy Witcher 2 copy. I am getting this error:

Feature: Required Files

Component: Data

File: F:\data2.cab

Error: Data Error (cyclic redundancy check).

This error pops after about 5 secs of running the setup. Game of course is original retail copy (the only way its supposed to be) and my DVD drive is a LightScribe HP DVD1170. Can someone please give me a hand here??? Thanks.

robertoenrique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 robertoenrique

BUMP :cry:

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts
Dude I feel you, Ive been trying to get the game installed, activated, and registered, and to work for two days. Yesterday I figured out that the game (discs) do not like my dvd drive at all as soon as it hits the pack0.dzip it would stop installing and I would get the crc error. I used another Pc on my network and shared its dvd drive and install the game off there onto my Pc and it installed just fine. Then after entering my Product code it the patcher wouldnt decrypt the game at all. then I found out today that there is no zeros in the code its an O. So I reinstalled and the patcher then was saying the install wasnt complete or invalid. the I contacted CD and they shot me an email saying to run the setup as admin under compad mode. and use a different patch tool they linked me too. After that the game installed, activated, and registered. But guess what... the dumb game will not even launch, I get a black screen and it goes back to the desktop without no errors or anything. I have never had so much trouble installing a game before in my life......
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

Dude I feel you, Ive been trying to get the game installed, activated, and registered, and to work for two days. Yesterday I figured out that the game (discs) do not like my dvd drive at all as soon as it hits the pack0.dzip it would stop installing and I would get the crc error. I used another Pc on my network and shared its dvd drive and install the game off there onto my Pc and it installed just fine. Then after entering my Product code it the patcher wouldnt decrypt the game at all. then I found out today that there is no zeros in the code its an O. So I reinstalled and the patcher then was saying the install wasnt complete or invalid. the I contacted CD and they shot me an email saying to run the setup as admin under compad mode. and use a different patch tool they linked me too. After that the game installed, activated, and registered. But guess what... the dumb game will not even launch, I get a black screen and it goes back to the desktop without no errors or anything. I have never had so much trouble installing a game before in my life......04dcarraher

Just wondering but what resolution do you run at?

robertoenrique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 robertoenrique
WOW... That sucks dude, looks like I'm just beggining the installation ordeal then :( Im just going to borrow a DVD drive from someone tomorrow and see how it goes. Blows my mind how a game of this caliber can have so many issues.
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 04dcarraher
Well that doesnot matter Ive tried different resolutions to fullscreen to windowed in the options in the launcher
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ChubbyGuy40

Well that doesnot matter Ive tried different resolutions to fullscreen to windowed in the options in the launcher04dcarraher

I'm saying adjust your desktop resolution. The launcher can be anything, including your native resolution.

For example I run 2048x1152 because thats my natural resolution. Everytime I start TW2 I get the same error you do. I have to change my desktop's resolution to 1920x1080 before the game launches. Oddly enough the game works perfectly fine with my native resolution, yet it won't start at all when the desktop is set to my native res.

EDIT: Also make sure its a 16:9 resolution.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ChubbyGuy40

WOW... That sucks dude, looks like I'm just beggining the installation ordeal then :( Im just going to borrow a DVD drive from someone tomorrow and see how it goes. Blows my mind how a game of this caliber can have so many issues. robertoenrique

I know its looked down upon, but go find a torrent of the game. Nothing wrong with it since you bought the game and have your own CD-key. I had to do it with Battlefield 2 and Oblivion when I lost their disks.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 04dcarraher
Well Ive tried changing my desktop res it didnt work
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ChubbyGuy40

Well thats a damn shame. Not even 720p would work?

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 04dcarraher

Well thats a damn shame. Not even 720p would work?

ChubbyGuy40
Nope that was the first resolution I tried.
akashkoppa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 akashkoppa
Member since 2010 • 84 Posts

i think you need to have a ntfs drive. check your format

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 04dcarraher
lol, I havent had a fat 32 partition since Windows Me.
akashkoppa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 akashkoppa

i saw the witcher website. they list a couple of things you can do,

1)your anti virus needs to be disabled

2)your DVD drive may not be compatible with DVD 9 standard. you can try copying the files to your hard disk and then trying to install from there.

3)contact help2start@thewitcher.com

i hope this helps.

if none of this work, take the refund and buy at GOG( digital version)

akashkoppa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 akashkoppa

the solutions i listed is for the CRC problem not the resolution problem.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 04dcarraher
ya Ive already done all those things on the list, their support is the ones who gave me a patcher version that allowed me to activate the game but its still not running.
akashkoppa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 akashkoppa

wait for the patch(v1.1). it should have been up by now but isnt.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
What's all this about changing resolution? He has a cyclic redundancy check on one of the data files....last time I checked that meant it can't read the CD. On topic: - try copying all the files to ur HDD and then install - try CD on another PC - try another reader - worst comes to worse, then take it back to shop and exchange for another copy
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ChubbyGuy40

What's all this about changing resolution? He has a cyclic redundancy check on one of the data files....last time I checked that meant it can't read the CD. On topic: - try copying all the files to ur HDD and then install - try CD on another PC - try another reader - worst comes to worse, then take it back to shop and exchange for another copyFelipeInside

I was trying to help 04hcarrier since I had the same problem he did with getting it to start, not the TC

And stores don't accept PC returns once its opened, even if it doesn't work last time I checked.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]What's all this about changing resolution? He has a cyclic redundancy check on one of the data files....last time I checked that meant it can't read the CD. On topic: - try copying all the files to ur HDD and then install - try CD on another PC - try another reader - worst comes to worse, then take it back to shop and exchange for another copyChubbyGuy40

I was trying to help 04hcarrier since I had the same problem he did with getting it to start, not the TC

And stores don't accept PC returns once its opened, even if it doesn't work last time I checked.

Ah sorry...just saw some resolution change comments and I was like "WTH, I've gone crazy,...." lol.... Yeah, it's hard these days to exchange with PC...but if you can prove it's a bad burn and that you haven't activated it (since you couldn't install), sometimes you can get lucky...
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ChubbyGuy40

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]What's all this about changing resolution? He has a cyclic redundancy check on one of the data files....last time I checked that meant it can't read the CD. On topic: - try copying all the files to ur HDD and then install - try CD on another PC - try another reader - worst comes to worse, then take it back to shop and exchange for another copyFelipeInside

Ah sorry...just saw some resolution change comments and I was like "WTH, I've gone crazy,...." lol.... Yeah, it's hard these days to exchange with PC...but if you can prove it's a bad burn and that you haven't activated it (since you couldn't install), sometimes you can get lucky...

Yeah sometimes. At least with console games you can get them re-wrapped at OfficeMax/Office Depot and return them :lol:

robertoenrique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 robertoenrique

What's all this about changing resolution? He has a cyclic redundancy check on one of the data files....last time I checked that meant it can't read the CD. On topic: - try copying all the files to ur HDD and then install - try CD on another PC - try another reader - worst comes to worse, then take it back to shop and exchange for another copyFelipeInside

I live in Venezuela :(, my sister brought me the game from the states. I'll try that borrowed DvD today and post back. Quick question, after installing the game can I return the borrowed one and use the my DVD that's giving me the problem to actually run the game??

JKnaperek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 JKnaperek
Member since 2006 • 2023 Posts
[QUOTE="robertoenrique"]

Guys I just finished the 1st Witcher so I went to my PC gaming shelf to unpack, unbox and installmy Witcher 2 copy. I am getting this error:

File: F:\data2.cab

This error pops after about 5 secs of running the setup. Game of course is original retail copy (the only way its supposed to be) and my DVD drive is a LightScribe HP DVD1170. Can someone please give me a hand here??? Thanks.

The only way it's supposed to be? Should give D2D and Steam a try and save yourself all the headaches you've given yourself. Afterall, how much time are you going to sit there admiring the box art and smelling the box?
robertoenrique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 robertoenrique

[QUOTE="robertoenrique"]

File: F:data2.cab

JKnaperek

The only way it's supposed to be? Should give D2D and Steam a try and save yourself all the headaches you've given yourself. Afterall, how much time are you going to sit there admiring the box art and smelling the box?

Dude relax I meant original non pirated software.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

This is why console gaming can be nice

Rickylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Rickylee
Member since 2002 • 1342 Posts

[QUOTE="JKnaperek"][QUOTE="robertoenrique"]

File: F:data2.cab

robertoenrique

Dude relax I meant original non pirated software.

Dude these people are confusing me and I've had and fixed this problem as had many other people. The game hates certain DVD drives. I resolved my problem first by installing the game on my son's computer to make sure the disc's where good, they where. ThenI went and bought a Blue Ray R/W (cause I always wanted one anyway) and the game installed perfectly. But a note that seems to be not mentioned is that after everything was installed and authorised I didn't need a disc in the drive to start the game. Don't know if anyone else tried it but I did mainly to see which disc the game would want in the drive to start. Just sayin'.8)

Avatar image for deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

User Lists: 1

#27 deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
Member since 2008 • 4403 Posts

I remember that redundancy error means that it hasn't been uninstalled on another computer.

Skeptomania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Skeptomania
Member since 2004 • 8104 Posts

This is why I buy most of my games digitally. People complain and worry about games that are bought digitally, but I've had way more problems with games I bought on disk than digital games.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 04dcarraher
Well, Ive contacted them again about my black screen and back to desktop issue and it goes around and around.
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
CRC check is the data failing the test to make sure it's the same as where it started from, i.e. the DVD. for whatever reason, the hash it generates for the file it tries to install with isn't what it expected it to be - either something with the disc itself, the cd drive, the hard drive, or maybe even the RAM. nothing to do with activation or resolution or anything of the sort, at least
robertoenrique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 robertoenrique
Don't think so a lot of people have this issue and I'm 100% sure that the Witcher 2 dislikes certain DvDs.