Can't increase the refresh rate passed 60 Hertz! Help!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

XFilthX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 XFilthX
Member since 2006 • 498 Posts

Hey, I've been having some trouble with flickering on my monitor when playing games. Typically it only happens during cutscenes, but it's still pretty annoying.

I looked up online, and everywhere says that to eliminate or reduce flicker, increase your display's refresh rate to at least 75 hertz. But when I tried to do that, the maximum I could have it at was 60 hertz, and it's still flickering.

What's the problem? Is it my computer? The monitor? Or [hopefully] a software/driver issue?

Thanks!

btw, this is the monitor i have:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005125

Andrewz24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Andrewz24
Member since 2009 • 79 Posts

with old CRT monitors when you set high resolution, it automaticly limits your refresh rate
so try to lower your resolution and then check the refresh rate.

If you have LCD then 60MHZ or 100MHZ are the same, as LCD screen dont have refresh rates...

Microwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Microwin
Member since 2009 • 236 Posts

if it's a software/ driver issue, just install the latest

stele29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 stele29
Member since 2008 • 551 Posts

Are you certain your LCD has a native past 60? Newegg often has inaccurate information about specific specs. What does the book that came with it say?

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

Lower the resolution, high resolutions don't support refresh rates over 60hz there are some EXTREMELY expensive monitors that are able to do that but you won't be getting one soon.

XFilthX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 XFilthX

Are you certain your LCD has a native past 60? Newegg often has inaccurate information about specific specs. What does the book that came with it say?

stele29
The sheet I got says that the complete optimal frequency is 60 hertz. I was able to get it up to 75 Hz, but I compromised the resolution from 1080p. It's frusterating, 'cause when I looked online, I looked for the fastest refresh rate, and this was one of the lowest with 2 milliseconds. So what should I do?
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DanielDust
[QUOTE="stele29"]

XFilthX
The sheet I got says that the complete optimal frequency is 60 hertz. I was able to get it up to 75 Hz, but I compromised the resolution from 1080p. It's frusterating, 'cause when I looked online, I looked for the fastest refresh rate, and this was one of the lowest with 2 milliseconds. So what should I do?

You can't do anything your LCD, any LCD has limitations, you'll have to reduce the resolution for higher refresh rates. Also try to use vsync if you didn't activate it, it reduces the "flickering".
XFilthX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 XFilthX
[QUOTE="XFilthX"][QUOTE="stele29"]

DanielDust

You can't do anything your LCD, any LCD has limitations, you'll have to reduce the resolution for higher refresh rates. Also try to use vsync if you didn't activate it, it reduces the "flickering".

how do you toggle the vsync?
ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
In the games menu under display options be sure that V-sync is turned on. See if that fixes your problem.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DanielDust

You have it in the graphics options, under video mode (resolution) anti-alising quality and fullscreen. Well in Warhead, but it should be the same with Crysis (I have it installed but I'm too lazy to go look for the disc :( but I will if you still have problems finding it).

Sacif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 Sacif
Member since 2006 • 1830 Posts

Hey all of the information is correct however sometimes when I game I get some flickering from my PC trying to show my desktop on some gaqmes and it also causes a flicker, so just a heads up if you get the flickering after trying all of the above try closing out of programs that you dont need open to play the game. I doubt that this is your issue, but something I noticed on mine from time to time...good luck :)

XFilthX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 XFilthX

You have it in the graphics options, under video mode (resolution) anti-alising quality and fullscreen. Well in Warhead, but it should be the same with Crysis (I have it installed but I'm too lazy to go look for the disc :( but I will if you still have problems finding it).

DanielDust

Vsync worked! Thanks everyone!!

Feel so much better now! lol

stele29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 stele29
Member since 2008 • 551 Posts

Just remember that in the LCD world the refresh rate isn't the refresh rate. That term is old and referred analog tech that was in CRT. In LCD terms the refresh rate is simply how many times per second the screen is updated relative to pixel change. Unlike crt, where the screen is redrawn continuously. Point being the only reason to have refresh higher than 60 on a LCD is to prevent tearing when your computer puts out higher FPS than your "refresh". V-sync is one fix for this. This long term fix is the wide spread usage of 120hz monitors, which are finally being released as dedicated computer monitors. So, as a note to people shopping for a new computer monitor, i'd recommend researching into getting a 120hz screen.