Cant find fun RTS game!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by hetwiel (25 posts) -

Hey over the years i've played close to maybe 50 rts games. And i'm having loads of trouble finding any fun games lately. So im basicly wondering, anybody didnt miss what i did?

Unit counts, i want em huge:

I've always been a great fan of the old Empire Earth in multiplayer. Finally a game where i could build a base and loads of units to pursuade my own strategical ideas. I mean, take warcraft 3 for example. How am i supposed to flank my opponent if all i got is maximum 100 units. There's little to no strategy in that entire game!

Genre mwah just swords etc:

I must say i really liked Rome: Total War at first, okey i had trouble with the economics obviously, what does a war general know bout that? Me nothing atleast ;). Anyways, then i figured it was time to go multiplayer vs my lil brother, hey wots that? No empire building? Not even a lil castle with a barracks or something? BAH DELETE.

So yeah i want base building and rome kinda era. But with more then 100 Units to work arround with, in fact, i used to have a lil Empire Earth crack that made the unitlimit go up from 1200 to 50000 ;) Unitlimits are stupid and i wish no game wud use em. I mean how am i to use my superior numbers if i cant continue building units coz im at max?

So erm, anybody seen a game close to this? Or even just a really really fun game to play, specially multiplayer?

#2 Posted by sSubZerOo (46898 posts) -

Hey over the years i've played close to maybe 50 rts games. And i'm having loads of trouble finding any fun games lately. So im basicly wondering, anybody didnt miss what i did?

Unit counts, i want em huge:

I've always been a great fan of the old Empire Earth in multiplayer. Finally a game where i could build a base and loads of units to pursuade my own strategical ideas. I mean, take warcraft 3 for example. How am i supposed to flank my opponent if all i got is maximum 100 units. There's little to no strategy in that entire game!

I beg to differ that game is mainly strategy and micromangement, sense you have such few units every one counts.. And the hero is REALLY improtant with skills they have and which one you choose.

Genre mwah just swords etc:

I must say i really liked Rome: Total War at first, okey i had trouble with the economics obviously, what does a war general know bout that? Me nothing atleast ;). Anyways, then i figured it was time to go multiplayer vs my lil brother, hey wots that? No empire building? Not even a lil castle with a barracks or something? BAH DELETE.

So yeah i want base building and rome kinda era. But with more then 100 Units to work arround with, in fact, i used to have a lil Empire Earth crack that made the unitlimit go up from 1200 to 50000 ;) Unitlimits are stupid and i wish no game wud use em. I mean how am i to use my superior numbers if i cant continue building units coz im at max?

I find this ironic.. You said there is no strategy involved in Warcraft 3, but please explain to me how having more units will give you more strategy ideas? Most games with huge amounts of units come down to who spams the fastest.. Not any real strategic move..

So erm, anybody seen a game close to this? Or even just a really really fun game to play, specially multiplayer?

hetwiel

Though this doesn't meet your specified ancient era requirement, the best I can think of is Warhammer 40k Dark Crusade/Dawn of War. Its futuristic but has tons of melee combat and up to 7 races (soon to be 8).. Resources are some what easier in the sense your economy is maintained by capturing points with troops.. You seldom ever ocntol a single unit but a squad of upwards to 13-15 guys.. That game has your huge numbers requirement with alot of action..

#3 Posted by Marfoo (5994 posts) -
Again, although it doesn't meet the era requirement, and the hardware requirements are steep. I would try Supreme Commander, high unit caps, lots of battling, huge armies, fun game, and when the expansion comes out it will be even better.
#5 Posted by hetwiel (25 posts) -

Yeah true, i enjoyed Supreme Commander but the gameplay didnt feel rite for me. Took me ages to get a decent army together. Nevertheless most definitely the best RTS ive seen in long while. To bad its futuristic.

As for 40k... Erm lotsa units? not really, u control like 10 groups of units max or somethin like that? Thats boring :P Great for fast rushing multiplayer games i guess, but not how me and me friends like to play on LAN. We have 15minutes CeaseFire rule as standard for just about all RTS we play ;)

#6 Posted by ROXLYDE (90 posts) -
Thought World In Conflict was supposed to be all that...you played the demo yet?
#7 Posted by sSubZerOo (46898 posts) -

Yeah true, i enjoyed Supreme Commander but the gameplay didnt feel rite for me. Took me ages to get a decent army together. Nevertheless most definitely the best RTS ive seen in long while. To bad its futuristic.

As for 40k... Erm lotsa units? not really, u control like 10 groups of units max or somethin like that? Thats boring :P Great for fast rushing multiplayer games i guess, but not how me and me friends like to play on LAN. We have 15minutes CeaseFire rule as standard for just about all RTS we play ;)

hetwiel

10 squadsof 9 to possibly 15 units... Thats just one player, you can play with 8 other people.. There is only so many guys you can have on a map before it takes away any tactics or strategy what so ever..

#8 Posted by beachbob1 (518 posts) -

If you like Total War rome have you tryed Total War2? I am looking for a new rts too becuase Total War2 doesn't have human players got a little bored. Got a lot of good suggestions in thread http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=25998316

I am downloading supreme commander demo and looking for Stronghold3 but can only find 2?

#9 Posted by xithrix (583 posts) -

Again, although it doesn't meet the era requirement, and the hardware requirements are steep. I would try Supreme Commander, high unit caps, lots of battling, huge armies, fun game, and when the expansion comes out it will be even better.Marfoo

was there a limit of units in SC? i nver reached it xD

#10 Posted by foxhound_fox (95731 posts) -
You've played 50 RTS games? Long enough to consider yourself a master of even one? Really? Most of the ones from the late '90's early '00's are the best... like StarCraft, Total Annihilation, Age of Empires II, WarCraft II, etc. If you've played 50, I'd bet there aren't many left... even obscure ones that only one person has played.

I've been playing StarCraft for nearly a decade now and am not tired of it. Pick up some of the old ones you haven't touched in years.
#11 Posted by Supy5000 (25 posts) -
Three words... World in Conflict. Best damn RTS I have played to date.
#12 Posted by bangell99 (10567 posts) -
Uh... Maybe Rise and Fall?
#13 Posted by kieranb2000 (7591 posts) -

[QUOTE="Marfoo"]Again, although it doesn't meet the era requirement, and the hardware requirements are steep. I would try Supreme Commander, high unit caps, lots of battling, huge armies, fun game, and when the expansion comes out it will be even better.xithrix

was there a limit of units in SC? i nver reached it xD

Yup, I believe the highest unit Cap you can choose is 700. But, there is also a mod (which comes with the game I believe) that allows you to split the unit cap when an opponent dies (liek, if you are playing an 8 player match, and one player dies, it'll split his 700 unit count up between each remaining player to allow them to have more units at once)

I was thinking of something else too. But I forgot what o.o

#14 Posted by aliblabla2007 (16756 posts) -
Have you tried Battle for Middle Earth II?
#15 Posted by Precyse (487 posts) -
medieval 2 TW and it's exp kindoms.
Avatar image for chessmaster1989
#16 Posted by chessmaster1989 (30204 posts) -
Have you ever played Battle for Middle Earth I or Battle for Middle Earth II? Both are absolutely amazing games! And you can get both (plus Rise of the Witch King (BMEII expansion)) for only $20!
#17 Posted by thusaha (14495 posts) -
SupCom?
#18 Posted by Hot_Potato (3422 posts) -

medieval 2 TW and it's exp kindoms.Precyse

He said he didn't like the Total War games because you can't build bases during combat.

#19 Posted by zaku101 (4611 posts) -
I would recommend Company of Heroes, it's not a MASSIVE army building game but with 4 on 4 your system FPS will drop to 30 or below depending on your hardware.
#20 Posted by StealthKing93 (715 posts) -
Company of Heroes, CoH Opposing Fronts, Axis & Allies, or any of the Blitzkriegs!
#21 Posted by Berserker1_5 (1962 posts) -
Battle for middle Earth 2 is awesome. The best damn game I ever played(excluding diablo2)
#22 Posted by watblud (330 posts) -

either american conquest series or cossacks.

cossacks takes place before and during napoleanic time

american conquest during colonial times

Unit max for both games is something like 18000 great for flanking and stuff

#23 Posted by evilguy12 (26 posts) -
I'd say Company of Hereos. Awesome RTS. Also Commander and Conquer Red Alert and Gold are available free to download too (you probably already have them though).
#24 Posted by JangoWuzHere (19031 posts) -
Company of heros, Age of empires 2/3, Dawn of war
#25 Posted by UrMaster (148 posts) -
yeah dawn of war 40k has a very low unit cap but i believe there is a mod that you can get to fix that. as well there are all the comand and conquer games which don't have unit caps. Comand and conquer zero hour has a very good mod called shockwave which was actually developed by the same team that made zero hour and it is one of the best game mods i have ever played adding tons of unique units for every team which makes it a unique experience each time you play.
#26 Posted by Makari (15250 posts) -
I say forget your era requirement, and do Rise of Nations. You must have liked that game if you already played it; it could get nicely epic. :) Also re: flanking and such, the Kohan series of games were great fun on the unit tactics front (lots of flanking, surprise attacks, 'engaging' units so they can't flee, and the AI was smart enough to do all of it to you too), though the resource system and base-building you probably wouldn't enjoy.
#27 Posted by PSfanboy101 (1733 posts) -
world in conflict. nuff said (sorry if u said somthing about not liking it in ur post i didnt read it just looked at the tittle and here i am)
#28 Posted by Makari (15250 posts) -
world in conflict. nuff said (sorry if u said somthing about not liking it in ur post i didnt read it just looked at the tittle and here i am)PSfanboy101
he didn't specifically nix it in the OP, but he's repeatedly mentioned he wants to be able to have a heavy basebuilding factor in the game, and hates unit caps... i'm pretty sure world in conflict is the exact opposite of what he wants. :P
#29 Posted by t3ch82 (42 posts) -

Company of Heroes + the Expansion are amazing

Warhammer 40k + Expansions are Amazing.

World in conflict is good however to me isnt a"true" RTS as there is no gathering.

Age Of Mythologys + Expansion is good fun.

Rise of Nations is a fun RTS

-------------

Rome Total War is NOT an RTS, its a TBS *turn based stratagy*

are you looking for more turn based? or more RTS?

I think Rise of nations is right for you, its a very arcady RTS

#30 Posted by Twitch118 (25 posts) -
Try the C&C games just came out with a new one plus its exp.I've never ran into unit caps but you will have to ditch the medieval era. Its not too futuristic to the point its boring and theres really no economy building. if you like MMORTS games with NO caps then try C&C Tiberium Wars... plus theres the exp. Kane's Wrath... great game. the Medieval series was great lots of battles and base building but its hard to find... if you really wanna kill a few weeks and dont care about graphics then try Knights and Merchants... Stronghold was decent not the best but certainly not the worst. The Emperor games where good for mainly base building and economy, the battles aren't very good but if you are willing to sacrifice a bit then all in all great games. Theres always AoE, AoM, even the Civ's. Starcraft and Warcraft, well great games but if you hate player caps then steer away from them. CoH games where bangin but i felt like something was always missing. Rise of Nations, good game but im not much for uber future games. Supreme Commander was ok but again futuristic. Battle for middle eath 2 was good i played alot of it on X Box 360. Now if you want plain and simply sloughter then try Demigod, great game. Empire Earth where great games. But in the end i always end up falling back into C&C... Hope I helped a bit...:)
Avatar image for Captain_Waffles
#31 Posted by Captain_Waffles (314 posts) -
Starcraft is the best RTS ever concieved, and arguably the best game ever, regardless of setting. Also. Rise of Nations is pretty fantastic... go from ancient era, all the way to present tech, check it out.
#32 Posted by nicknees93 (3250 posts) -
Try Warhammer or CnC.
#33 Posted by FPS_Gamer123 (4363 posts) -
I would try Supreme Commander or Company of Heroes then.
#34 Posted by markwell9 (25 posts) -
Try this page: http://www.squidoo.com/best-fun-rts-games
#35 Posted by kraken2109 (13271 posts) -
[QUOTE="markwell9"]Try this page: http://www.squidoo.com/best-fun-rts-games

NECRO THREAD