Can't connect to printer in Homegroup

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SystemsGO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 SystemsGO
Member since 2011 • 1285 Posts

I have literally been trying to connect to a printer in my Homegroup all damned day long so that I can do my Nursing Homework in a nice quiet envrionment(my room), instead of cooping up in the living roomj where it's constantly noisey. I set up a homegroup, and connected my computer to it as well as the main computer where the Printer is located. I go into the Homegroup sharing options and it shows that Windows has detected a shared printer and has a button next to it that says "install", but once you click that button literally nothing happens and you're still unable to connect to the printer.

Once I realized that didn't work I went in the control panel>Device and Printers and scanned for the printer on the Network, it didn't detect the printer. I then tried to connect to the printer by selecting "The printer I want wasn't in the list" It gives you a list to manually connect by typing something like \\computername\printernameOnce I do that, I get an error message "Windows Cannot connect to the Printer - Error 0x0000052e" Which apparnetly implies that the logon credentials are invalid, when they are in fact not invalid. I am connecting to the Network on my desktop via a Wireless Netgear router, although I don't see why that would matter.

Anyway, I also tried to connect to the printer by typing IP address of the other computer, and it brought up a list of drivers and of course the printers drivers that I wanted were NOT in the list. I'm out of idea's.. Anyone? :(

I'm using Windows 7 64 bit

SystemsGO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SystemsGO

Anyone? ;(

SystemsGO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SystemsGO

This is driving me nuts. Has anyone had any experience whatsoever with this?

Another step I've tried is creating log-in credentials to access the other computer. But, for whatever reason that also is not working. I suppose I'm doing something wrong with setting up the credentials to access the other PC?

It asks for a "Internet or Network address", and I put in the other computers IP address. For username I just put "Home", and then a password.

Whenever I go to log-in with those credentials I'm unable to log-in. Any ideas, or any steps to follow with setting up credentials for the home network?

SystemsGO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SystemsGO

Another update, I disabled IPV6 on both machines. Still not working. Go figure, I hate Windows 7. Is there another way to network it without the stupid homegroup?

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

\\remotemachinename

it will probably ask you for user name and password

enter whatever the user name and pass is for that computer

then add the printer.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
So the printer is USB connected to a computer and shared? And u are trying to connect to that computer to install the printer on YOUR computer? 1) Does the computer with the USB printer have a password? (It must).
SystemsGO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SystemsGO

\\remotemachinename

then add the printer.

GummiRaccoon

Is this something that I do within the command prompt?

SystemsGO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SystemsGO

So the printer is USB connected to a computer and shared? And u are trying to connect to that computer to install the printer on YOUR computer? 1) Does the computer with the USB printer have a password? (It must).FelipeInside

That's correct, the printer is USB connected to the other computer and it is shared. I'm trying to connect to just the printer, by having it shared. I've had it installed on this machine as well, but removed everything assuming maybe that would solve SOMETHING. The computer does have a password and username.

This whole thing really sucks. I've done it on other machines before in the past with different printers, with no issues whatsoever for friends. Sometimes it just seems that things I need to do for myself always have issues. :|

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

\\remotemachinename

then add the printer.

SystemsGO

Is this something that I do within the command prompt?

no

start > run

well it won't be called run, it is that empty field right above the start button after you click it

darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 darksusperia
Member since 2004 • 6945 Posts
on the host computer. go to control panel -> network and sharing centre -> advanced sharing settings -> turn off password protected sharing. Share the printer manually. (I assume you know how to do this). On the machine that you are working on, download the drivers from the web, hopefully they have an inf file and dont just give you a setup. (if its just a setup file like some HP's you can start the install process which extracts all the files to a temp folder and grab the inf from there). then you can go to computer and in the address bar type in \\computername or \\ip address, whichever works. Click connect on the shared printer, when it asks for a driver select have disk, browse to inf file, install.... That should be it.
SystemsGO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SystemsGO

on the host computer. go to control panel -> network and sharing centre -> advanced sharing settings -> turn off password protected sharing. Share the printer manually. (I assume you know how to do this). On the machine that you are working on, download the drivers from the web, hopefully they have an inf file and dont just give you a setup. (if its just a setup file like some HP's you can start the install process which extracts all the files to a temp folder and grab the inf from there). then you can go to computer and in the address bar type in \\computername or \\ip address, whichever works. Click connect on the shared printer, when it asks for a driver select have disk, browse to inf file, install.... That should be it.darksusperia

Thank you, all is well now and it works! About time. Not sure why nothing I did worked on it, as it would standardly for other PC's I've worked on with homegroups.

darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 darksusperia
your welcome, anytime.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
I don't even use Homegroups, it creates more problems than it solves. I put all my PCs as WORK. But, you need to know what ur doing to share stuff then.
darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 darksusperia
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]I don't even use Homegroups, it creates more problems than it solves. I put all my PCs as WORK. But, you need to know what ur doing to share stuff then.

yep, me too.
SystemsGO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SystemsGO

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]I don't even use Homegroups, it creates more problems than it solves. I put all my PCs as WORK. But, you need to know what ur doing to share stuff then.darksusperia
yep, me too.

Well, this was my first time networking anything at my house personally, so I decided I'd try that since it's supposed to "simplify", in turn it actually did create more problems than it was worht. However, all is well and my printer is working as intended. :D