Can two computers be connected to increase preformance?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jake0425

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jake0425
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Can two computers be connected to increase performance?

Also, what is a good way to cool a gaming laptop? I have tried cooling pads, but it still overheats and shuts down. I was going to try to elevate it above the desk and point a box fan at it. I don't know if it will work.

Crypt_mx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2 Crypt_mx
Member since 2007 • 4739 Posts

no they cannot, you can take the gpu from one and run 2 gpu's in a single one.

But guessing by how much you know, your pc's are too old to support sli or crossfire.

If your laptop is overheating on a cooling station, its messed, RMA dat crap.

MaoTheChimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MaoTheChimp
Member since 2008 • 1727 Posts

no they cannot, you can take the gpu from one and run 2 gpu's in a single one.

But guessing by how much you know, your pc's are too old to support sli or crossfire.

If your laptop is overheating on a cooling station, its messed, RMA dat crap.

Crypt_mx

Overheating doesn't mean the laptop is on it's last thoes. I'd suggest cleaning out the heatsink assembly, as long use generally clogs it up with dust.

Avatar image for UltimateGamer95
UltimateGamer95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 UltimateGamer95
Member since 2006 • 4720 Posts

Also, what is a good way to cool a gaming laptop? I have tried cooling pads, but it still overheats and shuts down. I was going to try to elevate it above the desk and point a box fan at it. I don't know if it will work.

jake0425
Yeah you can connect two computers together in order to increase performance. This would be called a cluster I believe. That's as much as I know though. It's usually meant for working with enormous amounts of data so it wouldn't be an ideal choice for gaming. However, why not search for computer clusters on Google and see what you find? ;) ;)
SgtMoreless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SgtMoreless
Member since 2009 • 311 Posts

Make sure all the fans on the bottom work on the laptop. Oh and 2 PCs together = a Supercomputer. Yes, it is possible. But you need to look up a tutorial. Even if you succeed to hook both up. You probably can not play games better. It just crunches numbers faster.

Avatar image for TrentDondasKhan
TrentDondasKhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 TrentDondasKhan
Member since 2009 • 372 Posts

jake0425

You can connect two computers via usb to transfer data but thats about it.

as far as your laptop you could take it to a computer repair store and have them make sure all your internal fans...or fan is working and clear of dust. or just replace the heatsink for anouther heatsink that may perform alittle better...

d-rtyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 d-rtyboy
Member since 2006 • 3178 Posts
The only way I've seen a cluster set up is using *nix variants. I've also seen it done with PS3's and Xbox's but they weren't being used for gaming. So it is possible, but it's not really for gaming. I suppose you could play games on a cluster, but games aren't coded for multithreading yet so I'm guessing that even if you were to manage to find Crysis for Linux you still wouldn't see a performance boost.
jake0425

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jake0425
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Okay, thanks.

12345678ew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 12345678ew
Member since 2008 • 2353 Posts

yes and no. for gaming, no. for rendering/encrypting and various other jobs, yes, via autodesk backburner or similar programs. but it isn't using multiple computers on a task. it's taking a task, splitting it up according to the computers' strength, and having each do it's respective part then reassembling the final product in one (typically the most powerful one, or the one attached to the monitor)

m45t3rch13f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 m45t3rch13f
Member since 2004 • 1070 Posts
If it is more than one year, your laptop might have a lot of dust bunnies inside the fan. If you can`t clean it yourself, I suggest you go to your local PC store (Don`t go to manufacturer aftersales service, they`ll rip you off). My personal experience: DO NOT try to clean the dust by blowing the vents using cool hairdryer. It`ll make the fan spins and could damage the ICs.
Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts
I have looked into this extensively, even up to the point of creating a system like this. I does work in theory, but the only problem is that games are not programmed to handle a computer cluster. Then there is also the problem of Lag between the computers. Im sorry to say so but taking two computers together does not work at this point in time. Maybe in the future. If you want i can give you a link that will help you create a cluster if you want.
Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts
I have looked into this extensively, even up to the point of creating a system like this. I does work in theory, but the only problem is that games are not programmed to handle a computer cluster. Then there is also the problem of Lag between the computers. Im sorry to say so but taking two computers together does not work at this point in time. Maybe in the future. If you want i can give you a link that will help you create a cluster if you want.
DogDay3k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DogDay3k
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
I know this thread is old, but it bothers me that nobody ever mentioned X-Plane, which has for years given the user the option to use multiple computers over a LAN to provide supplemental displays, as well as an instructor workstation. Multiple computers can indeed be connected for improved performance, though perhaps not in the way the OP intended. It simply requires a third party solution to make this a possibility, and I think those options are still extremely limited. Too bad, though. It would be wonderful if somebody took advantage of the LAN's that are still in existence for other games to have this multi-display functionality--but that doesn't sell more video cards, does it? I have 5-7 computers on my network at any time, with 7-9 monitors. I would love to be able to use them to give me surround vision during solo gaming sessions.
IvanElk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 IvanElk
Member since 2008 • 3798 Posts
NECRO!
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points