Can't pick discrete GPU over integrated GPU (MSI GS70)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Right before the board changeover, I started a thread about wanting a newer and lighter gaming laptop. After a few recommendations I picked up an MSI GS70 and I've been loving it ever since. For some reason the original thread didn't survive the transition from Computer Hardware to the new PC Games forum.

I am having one annoying issue with it, though. In some older games like Hydrophobia, X3: The Reunion, and Deus Ex I don't have an option to use the discrete Nvidia 765m GPU over the integrated HD4600. Only the HD4600 shows up in the available GPU list. I've tried playing around with the Nvidia control panel to force the 765 to be used globally -and- I've tried setting it as the primary GPU for these specific apps but the behavior is the same. Fortunately, the HD4600 isn't a terrible GPU so I can actually run these older games on it but not maxed like I should be able to.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

-Byshop

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Byshop  Moderator

@c_rakestraw, any ideas. If I remember correctly, you were one of the main people who suggested the GS70 as an alternative to the Razer Blade Pro so thanks for that! It's great, minus this one, minor issue.

-Byshop

bigfootpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By bigfootpart2
Member since 2013 • 1131 Posts

Is there a way to disable the intel onboard in the BIOS?

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Byshop  Moderator

Not on a laptop, I don't believe. It's tied into the power saving settings and I don't think you can use the 765 for normal bootup/Windows display.

-Byshop

RaZoR500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 RaZoR500
Member since 2005 • 381 Posts

I have the MSI GT70 with the GTX770m so its very similar to yours. Never had any issues like you are having so far. One suggestion I might have would be to go to your nvidia control panel, find manage 3D settings and add the game to the profiles. From there you have an option on what card to use when the game launches. I hope that works for you

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Byshop  Moderator

@RaZoR500 said:

I have the MSI GT70 with the GTX770m so its very similar to yours. Never had any issues like you are having so far. One suggestion I might have would be to go to your nvidia control panel, find manage 3D settings and add the game to the profiles. From there you have an option on what card to use when the game launches. I hope that works for you

Yeah, I tried that. I set the global profile -and- tried game specfic Nvidia control panel settings but it still -claims- to be using the 765 (in the case of some games, I'm not even sure if it is or not). It's only for a handful of specific, older titles, but in the case of Hydrophobia or X3 these games would reall benefit from the newer card.

-Byshop