Can someone help me with getting my router to connect?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

criinok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 criinok
Member since 2006 • 1478 Posts

Beware, this is going to be kind of a long post because I want to be as clear as I can.

I just bought this Linksys routerlast week from Newegg because it was the best rated, and when I got it I quickly set it up and was pleased to find that it connected to my PSP fine, and I'm guessing it would have for my PS3 if I had tried it. I then ordered this Encore Electronics wireless USB adapter When I set it up, it got to a part where I had to enter in my DNS, subnet mask, blah blah blah in order to secure it. I think I entered it wrong. Because when I got off that, I tried to connect and it wouldn't work. So when I tried to get back to the part of the router setup where it asks for my DNS and everything, I was planning on erasing the details I gave so it would work again.

But I can't get to that part of the setup if I'm not connected to the Internet.... So I don't know what to do. Right now I connected to a neighbor's unprotected internet and it's working fine, so it's not the adapter's fault. When I connect the adapter to the neighbor's connection it's very weak and works well, but then when I connect it to my own router I can't get on the internet. What's going on?

freesafety13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 freesafety13
Member since 2008 • 823 Posts
1. Do you have DSL, FIOS, or a Coax based ISP? 2. You should not have to enter any IP Address, Subnet Mask information if DHCP is enabled on your pc 3. What is the USB adapter for? A pc? 4. The ip address for Linksys routers are typically 192.168.1.1. Type that into your address bar and it should pull up the Linksys login page. This will also be the default gateway and dns of your pc if you set it statically. 5. Entering DNS/Subnet/IP address has nothing to do with securing it. You secure it with either WEP, WPA, WPA2, WPA2 TKIP, WPA2 AES, or WPA2 AES+TKIP. I think the reason you can't connect is because you entered the wrong passkey or passphrase for your wireless security. Best way to fix it is to reset the Linksys to factory defaults by pressing the reset button on the back in for 30 seconds and then set it up again. But this time make sure you have a pc directly connected to the wireless router when you set it up.
chadw_genx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 chadw_genx
Member since 2005 • 229 Posts

Like the previous user stated, turn on DHCP by logging into your router. To do that open up a console window (Hold your Windows Logo Key & Press R and type in cmd and then press Enter). From here type in ipconfig and press enter. The gateway address listed is your router's IP address. Type that number behind http:// in your web browser, ie. http://192.168.8.1 ) and enter your username and password. Default is often admin for u/n and password for p/w (depends on router). Once in here you can setup your security settings (preferrably WPA2) and enable DHCP.