Can I play recent games (2008-2012) games with any of these two set-ups?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheTolemac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TheTolemac
Member since 2013 • 94 Posts
>Set-up 1: Gateway laptop: 3GBs of Ram Intel Hd Graphics 32oGB HDD Intel Celeron B820 1.7GHz Windows 7 home premium Or >Set-up 2: Thinkpad R500 2GB's of Ram Intel Core 2 Duo 2.53GHz 160GB HDD Or do I have no choice but to upgrade or change my laptops and they are outdated?
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

If you want any hope of playing any modern games, a dedicated GPU is an absolute must. "Intel HD graphics" is not a dedicated GPU. At their best, the Intel HD graphics chips can handle flash and facebook/browser games, some modern Indie games, and older 3D games, from like 2005 and back. Gotta get something with a dedicated GPU. Something from Nvidia or AMD Radeon series. Even if it's a low end card, ANY dedicated card will be massive step up from integrated graphics.

TheTolemac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 TheTolemac

If you want any hope of playing any modern games, a dedicated GPU is an absolute must. "Intel HD graphics" is not a dedicated GPU. At their best, the Intel HD graphics chips can handle flash and facebook/browser games, some modern Indie games, and older 3D games, from like 2005 and back. Gotta get something with a dedicated GPU. Something from Nvidia or AMD Radeon series. Even if it's a low end card, ANY dedicated card will be massive step up from integrated graphics.

the_bi99man
Ok, so how about if I upgrade to this laptop: Hp 2000: Intel Celeron T3500 2.1GHz Intel GMA 4500MHD 3Gbs of RAM?
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

TheTolemac

Ok, so how about if I upgrade to this laptop: Hp 2000: Intel Celeron T3500 2.1GHz Intel GMA 4500MHD 3Gbs of RAM?

same problem intel graphics (unless brand new) struggle to play modern games. if you want an idea of how bad im talking about ehre. all three would struggle to play FEAR 1 on any playable setting

khanabyss25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 khanabyss25
Member since 2004 • 279 Posts

You could probably play facebook game with this with a little lag.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 the_bi99man

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

TheTolemac

Umm... is the "Intel GMA 4500MHD" the graphics? If so, no. Same problem. Intel doesn't make graphics cards. They make integrated graphics chips, which come built into their newer processors, and are basically designed for video playback, and casual facebook browser games. You need to find something with an Nvidia GPU, or something that says AMD Radeon.

And yeah, if you're looking at laptops, something with a dedicated nvidia or AMD gpu is going to be much more expensive. That's just the way it is. Everything is more expensive in laptop form, and cheap laptops can't game.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ionusX

[QUOTE="TheTolemac"][QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

the_bi99man

Umm... is the "Intel GMA 4500MHD" the graphics? If so, no. Same problem. Intel doesn't make graphics cards. They make integrated graphics chips, which come built into their newer processors, and are basically designed for video playback, and casual facebook browser games. You need to find something with an Nvidia GPU, or something that says AMD Radeon.

And yeah, if you're looking at laptops, something with a dedicated nvidia or AMD gpu is going to be much more expensive. That's just the way it is. Everything is more expensive in laptop form, and cheap laptops can't game.

mmhmm gotta drop serious coin initially to game pc. thats jsut the way it is (unless you want to play legacy games or indie games)

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#8 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

Drop Gateway and go Alienware. People complain about their prices but that's usually because they just can't afford them...

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 the_bi99man

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

[QUOTE="TheTolemac"] Ok, so how about if I upgrade to this laptop: Hp 2000: Intel Celeron T3500 2.1GHz Intel GMA 4500MHD 3Gbs of RAM?ionusX

mmhmm gotta drop serious coin initially to game pc. thats jsut the way it is (unless you want to play legacy games or indie games)

Yeah, especially with laptops. As has been mentioned on SW countless times, you can custom build a desktop for less than $500 that will play modern games. Laptops aren't so lucky, though. Everything has to be specially made, to fit in the tiny case, and to reduce heat output. That makes comparable parts way more expensive. Looking at any given video card, and comparing it to the laptop version with the same (or similar) name, the laptop version probably costs at least a couple hundred more, and actually has worse performance.

If you want a desktop, you can cut corners, cheap out on stuff that doesn't matter as much, and get yourself a cheap gaming PC that will be competent, at least. But if you want to be able to play modern games on a laptop, cheaping out isn't an option.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 the_bi99man

Drop Gateway and go Alienware. People complain about their prices but that's usually because they just can't afford them...

Starshine_M2A2

I could have easily afforded an alienware when I bought my last laptop. I chose, instead, to save hundreds of dollars by getting the exact same hardware, with a different name on it.

That said, if you want to game on a laptop, an Alienware might not be the worst choice. It'll be expensive, but it will definitely game. Seriously though, if you actually start considering an Alienware, do some real research on the parts, and shop around. I can almost guarantee that any Alienware you find, you can find something from Acer, Asus, or even Dell, that has the exact same hardware, considerably cheaper.

TheTolemac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TheTolemac

[QUOTE="Starshine_M2A2"]

the_bi99man

I could have easily afforded an alienware when I bought my last laptop. I chose, instead, to save hundreds of dollars by getting the exact same hardware, with a different name on it.

That said, if you want to game on a laptop, an Alienware might not be the worst choice. It'll be expensive, but it will definitely game. Seriously though, if you actually start considering an Alienware, do some real research on the parts, and shop around. I can almost guarantee that any Alienware you find, you can find something from Acer, Asus, or even Dell, that has the exact same hardware, considerably cheaper.

I always hear Alienware has a bad reputation. Ok, so i found one upgrade to my gateway> Now if I trade it in and get this (only $70 when i trade in my other Gateway) will this work? Windows 7 Ult 4GB of Ram AMD Dual Core E-300 1.3GHz AMD Radeon HD 6310
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="Starshine_M2A2"]

the_bi99man

Alienware is usually a ripoff on the desktop depeartment, but the laptops are rather nicely priced for what you get. Myself, I got an Acer last summer for $800, has an Nvidia 660 2gb, 8gb ram, and an i7 3610Q. Maxes most games, even doing metro 2033 near max at a playable framerate. I was colored impressed

TheTolemac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TheTolemac
[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

[QUOTE="Starshine_M2A2"]

TheTolemac

I always hear Alienware has a bad reputation. Ok, so i found one upgrade to my gateway> Now if I trade it in and get this (only $70 when i trade in my other Gateway) will this work? Windows 7 Ult 4GB of Ram AMD Dual Core E-300 1.3GHz AMD Radeon HD 6310

What about this guys?
TheTolemac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TheTolemac

go back to OT and troll there. Better yet stop trolling period ;)

wis3boi
How is trying to get a working gaming laptop trolling?
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

TheTolemac

sorry confused this thread with the other craptastic one about nearly the same thing. Anyways, that GPU is pretty bad

TheTolemac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TheTolemac

[QUOTE="TheTolemac"][QUOTE="wis3boi"]

wis3boi

sorry confused this thread with the other craptastic one about nearly the same thing. Anyways, that GPU is pretty bad

Hmm, drat. I guess I'll have to fork over at least $500 than or more. That's the cheapest AMD computer I can find.
TheTolemac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TheTolemac

wis3boi

Hmm, drat. I guess I'll have to fork over at least $500 than or more. That's the cheapest AMD computer I can find.
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ionusX

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="TheTolemac"] How is trying to get a working gaming laptop trolling?TheTolemac

TC if you really need to game on pc one idea is to jsut get ann office laptop now and then get a gaming desktop. b.c would you like to see what you would need just to play games "well"

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834131394

and that would be just to get started. you would need to get something alot better to start talking about maxing out games.

if you went with a gaming desktop and then got a laptop for non-gaming needs what you could do is simply get something on the cheap with a nice battery life for like $300 and then drop 500 dollar on a machine that could do basically the same things as that $625 machine

TheTolemac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TheTolemac

ionusX

TC if you really need to game on pc one idea is to jsut get ann office laptop now and then get a gaming desktop. b.c would you like to see what you would need just to play games "well"

and that would be just to get started. you would need to get something alot better to start talking about maxing out games.

if you went with a gaming desktop and then got a laptop for non-gaming needs what you could do is simply get something on the cheap with a nice battery life for like $300 and then drop 500 dollar on a machine that could do basically the same things as that $625 machine

Except I don;t want a PC I want a Laptop.
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 the_bi99man

[QUOTE="ionusX"]

[QUOTE="TheTolemac"] Hmm, drat. I guess I'll have to fork over at least $500 than or more. That's the cheapest AMD computer I can find.TheTolemac

Except I don;t want a PC I want a Laptop.

Well you'll just have to spend the extra money, then. The laptop ionusX linked to is reasonably solid, for a cheap laptop. It will definitely run any game, but you won't come near max settings in the more recent ones. The AMD one you linked to would be basically bottom of the line, for something with a dedicated GPU. It'll still be leagues better than something with the integrated "Intel HD" graphics, though. I think you'd probably achieve playable framerates in almost anything, but you'd have to go minimum settings and 720p-ish resolution for more graphics intense games. 

I bought my Dell Studio XPS 17 in 2009, and spend about $1200 on it. At the time, it ran just about everything, at decent settings, even. These days, not so much. It's got a dual core i5 2.27 ghz, 4gb RAM, and an ATI 4670 1gb, and most modern games are pushing it to the limit, getting just barely playable framerates, at mostly minimum (with a couple things at medium or high) settings. It also has a native 1080p screen, and I've found turning down to 720p is pretty much essential for anything from the last couple years. 

A couple examples off the top of my head... I get like 25-40 fps in Far Cry 3, with a custom graphics profile, with high textures and foliage, medium shadows, low everything else, with SSAO and AA forced off, and 720p. I played through Crysis 2 at minimum settings (ironically labeled "high" in the options menu), 720p, with sweetfx forcing just a little bit of SMAA, and maintained framerates comparable to the console versions (like 20-35-40 at best). The Witcher 2 is completely unplayable (<18 fps), at any settings, any resolution. Running Diablo 3 at full settings and 1080p, it's playable. Like 20-30 fps, which works for that type of game better than it would for a shooter. I still turn down to 720p, though, and that gets me 40-60 fps easily. I run every Source game totally maxed out, 1080p, 60+ fps. Left 4 Dead 2 will ocassionally drop into the 50s, and Black Mesa was a more consistent 50ish than 60.Â