Can I even upgrade?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for StealthPlatypus
StealthPlatypus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 StealthPlatypus
Member since 2008 • 44 Posts
sdhjbdsf
darkmagician06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 darkmagician06
Member since 2003 • 6060 Posts
u cant upgrade that. doesnt even have agp slot so i know it doesnt have pci express slot. your boned. better get a new tower. you can keep you monitor and whatnot
blooddrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 blooddrunk
Member since 2008 • 1036 Posts

Bumpcopter.StealthPlatypus

you can use a pci gpu but theyre all crap....

Eastdabest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Eastdabest
Member since 2006 • 652 Posts
pci-e and pci are 2 very different slots. In order for you to upgrade youd need a pci gpu not pci-e.
Eastdabest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Eastdabest
Member since 2006 • 652 Posts
The 8500 you posted wont be compatible with your pc because your pc only has pci slots and not pci-e. The 8500 requires a pci-e slot which you dont have. If you notice when your looking online for a card it will usually say the type of card it is (PCI, AGP, or PCI-e). Basically what Blooddrunk said all PCI cards are pretty much crap. It would be easier to just buy a whole new pc. If you choose not to then im sure you can find a few pci graphic cards out there that might get you by. About the DDR2, i dont think your pc is compatible with ddr2 so stick with plain ddr if you are still willing to upgrade.
WDT-BlackKat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 WDT-BlackKat
Member since 2008 • 1779 Posts

Basically what they're saying is you need to build a new computer. Essentially the only parts you can carry over from your old one might be the mouse, keyboard, and monitor. Of course, if you're going to spend several hundred or more building a new computer, you might as well shell out the extra $10-50 for a new mouse and keyboard too. And you'll want a bigger flatscreen monitor.

Aim for building around a motherboard that supports DDR2 or DDR3 memory, and has 1-2 PCI-Ex16 or PCI-E 2.0 slots for the graphics card. You'll want a more robust graphics card than an 8500 as well. At least an 8800GT, or if money's tight a 9600GT

swehunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#12 swehunt
Member since 2008 • 3637 Posts

So in conclusion:

I'm drowning in the water right now due to compatibility issues, and I'll be dead in the water come June when XP loses support. Everything I'm running right now, save the mouse, keyboard, speakers and hardly even the hard drive and monitor is competely outdated with no hope of return except on the absolutely bare bones minimum settings which could at the most run WoW, yet not even the expansion that is coming out in November.

The moral of the story is to never buy a Dell computer ever again, I suppose. The notion of "LOLWOWZACOPTER TOTALLY CUSTOMIZABLE AND DELIVERED TO YOUR DOOR" sounded awesome from what I overheard back then, but not so much when they block your most vital upgrade ports and give you a power supply that doesn't fit in other shells.

And I'm broke with no job. End thread.

StealthPlatypus

Well it´s not just Dell´s fault, the whole Computer is old and hardware evolves, old goes out and new goes in.

It always been so, and always will. Soon the nahalem processor comes with a new socket, all current mobos will be usless for the new nahalem.

You could save up a few buck if you save the chassie to.

You´d need new:

PSU

Motherboard

CPU

Ram

GPU

Hardware is cheap nowday´s, save a few $ per week and you´ll soon have a new rig.

Tvac897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Tvac897
Member since 2008 • 82 Posts
Yeah...you're screwed dude.
WDT-BlackKat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 WDT-BlackKat
Member since 2008 • 1779 Posts

And I'm broke with no job. End thread.

StealthPlatypus

I've seen plenty of placing offering up to $5000 signing bonuses because they're desperate for employees. Granted you need some sort of experience/skill for those jobs. But that's one way to get some cash quick.

But once you've paid off any overdue bills from being jobless just start saving up. Or if you build youself you have the advantage of buying one part a paycheck so that you're still paying your bills and eating and such. Just buy the parts with the least chance of something new replacing them and minimal price fluctuation first, and the graphics card last.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Entry level Dells are awesome man, it's better than say my parents who overpaid for a PC before i even knew anything about computers. You're pretty limited with PCI man, i don't think you'll be able to pull off Spore or Starcraft 2 with those cards :? Here is the cheapest Dell i could find with XP, add 2GB and an HD 2600XT :? http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=ddcwfas&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&kc=productdetails~inspndt_530s
dippy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 dippy88
Member since 2007 • 360 Posts

I had that same computer like years ago, I brought an old FX5200 normal PCI GFX Card, and 1gb of stig ram and I was able to run WoW on minimum settings but it was still poor FPS like 15fps, but I put up with it for like a year, then decided 1 month that i'll buy a new computer, I don't play warcraft anymore but I checked it out and it was running at 70fps which is like an insane difference, what I suggest you do is save some money, get a job or even wait till a birthday or christmas and buy a mid range computer for like £600 which is not really alot of money.

death1505921

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 death1505921
Member since 2004 • 5260 Posts

With £450 I bought 8800GT/E8400/DS3L/Case/2x1gb OCZ 800mhz DDR2 RAM/DVD drive/PSU.

Then I just ripped out my old HDD and wiped it and installed windows i borrowed off a friend (He had retail). I know that old HDD might sound like crap when you see 500gb ones. But the way I see it is with my current (160gb) one I didn't run out of space in the 3 years I had it. So I don't see it happeneing now.