Call of Duty and World of Warcraft.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

HyperWarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 HyperWarlock
Member since 2011 • 3295 Posts

If you look back about 3 or 4 years ago, both of these games were highly praised on this site. Now, however they are being treated like they are the worst creations to come from mankind.

Lets take Call of Duty for an example. Forgetting any sequels or games that came before it, If MW3 was released as the first game in the series, would you have more respect for it? After all, when people complain about the games being rehashed, nobody forces you to buy every sequel. You could buy One game and play it for a few years and then pick up a new one.

And what's wrong with WoW? I think it's in great shape right now and amazingly polished. The questing is less of a grind than most MMO's out there.

I'm not fanboys of any of these games, I just can't understand why two of the biggest games in their respective genres are now being treated like Big Rigs.

JW-toch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 JW-toch
Member since 2008 • 344 Posts

I think they're both great games too. The problem with CoD is that the game gets recycled every time, without changing an awful lot. And both games are very popular and people like to kick on popular things.

HyperWarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 HyperWarlock

I think they're both great games too. The problem with CoD is that the game gets recycled every time, without changing an awful lot. And both games are very popular and people like to kick on popular things.

JW-toch

Yeah, I think it makes them feel different and unique. Even if it means saying they are a hardcore fan of an indie game which is genuinley terrible.

JW-toch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 JW-toch

[QUOTE="JW-toch"]

HyperWarlock

Yeah, I think it makes them feel different and unique. Even if it means saying they are a hardcore fan of an indie game which is genuinley terrible.

Hahaha, they're like the hipsters of gaming :P

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

I have nothing for or against WoW, but CoD is just so stale and recycled can't see why people pay $60+DLC for a game minimaly changed since CoD4. I have every CoD on PC from the first one to CoD4 and I still play them occasionaly, but they havent changed the game in any meaningful way since then that it's just turned onto a yearly cash grab every November. Activision knows it sells so well due to this formula and any small change will make the brogamers cringe. It's an easy game to pick up and play and get loads of killstreaks in. To me, it's as if the new CoD games belong in an arcade at wal-mart where I insert coins for lives.

Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Zubinen
Member since 2011 • 2555 Posts
To me, it's as if the new CoD games belong in an arcade at wal-mart where I insert coins for lives.wis3boi
Let's hope Bobby Kotick doesn't read this, your idea may get stolen in the name of capitalism! I can see it now, in a world where you can't walk 10 feet without running into a COD arcade machine vacuuming the money out of your wallet without your explicit permission... Ah yes, an interesting horror film. In all seriousness, as per the laws of gaming, they're stuck in a creative coffin due to stockholders and the expectations of consumers though this applies to many other games. Reasonably all I'd expect from games like these leading in sales for their respective genres is that they eventually are forced into a point of such rigid stagnation that demand for their games begin to decrease, and boom, Respawn Entertainment's Scifi shooter and Tera take over, for example. And then we have new leaders which over time build expectations from consumers and eventually the games are driven into a creative coffin, and again, boom, new games take over.
Custodian405

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Custodian405
Member since 2003 • 1041 Posts
Why I don't like the CoD series? Well, for example, my buddy refuses to play anything other than "tactical modern military shooters" or whatever. And I've tried playing Boarderlands co-op with him one time and he was like "wtf is this? this is cartoony and not realistic!!" I was like, ok well lets play Halo or Gears then. He was still like "NO, i don't like those games because they have aliens and junk, i only like realistic FPS". I know, im making my friend sound like a total dumbass but what the hell is 'realistic'? CoD is relaistic? what part of it? the quick scoping? the bullet holes that take several seconds to heal or the overal respawn system? or my favourite, that thing that all the 'pros' do where they prone out and shoot at the same time. I guess i just hate how CoD has become the acceptable game for people who don't usually play video games. But how everything else is still lame and geeky and nerdy.
HyperWarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 HyperWarlock

Why I don't like the CoD series? Well, for example, my buddy refuses to play anything other than "tactical modern military shooters" or whatever. And I've tried playing Boarderlands co-op with him one time and he was like "wtf is this? this is cartoony and not realistic!!" I was like, ok well lets play Halo or Gears then. He was still like "NO, i don't like those games because they have aliens and junk, i only like realistic FPS". I know, im making my friend sound like a total dumbass but what the hell is 'realistic'? CoD is relaistic? what part of it? the quick scoping? the bullet holes that take several seconds to heal or the overal respawn system? or my favourite, that thing that all the 'pros' do where they prone out and shoot at the same time. I guess i just hate how CoD has become the acceptable game for people who don't usually play video games. But how everything else is still lame and geeky and nerdy.Custodian405

I don't think Infinity Ward has ever claimed COD to be realistic at any point. It's an arcade type shooter, not designed for realism.

gunmaster55555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 gunmaster55555
Member since 2009 • 712 Posts

I used to hate world of warcraft when I was younger, it was mainly the combat that I didn't like I would say. Now that I got older I played a little WoW (luckily for me I don't get addicted to mmo's, if I do it only lasts 2-3 weeks :D). I didn't play very much, did not buy it and so did not subscribe, just played the trial.I had fun with it just didn't feel like buying and then paying a monthly fee at the time.

I liked call of duty 1-5, then they just kept releasing same game repeatedly with new story and some new perks. realized it was being remade and don't buy that crap anymore.

timma25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 timma25
Member since 2005 • 1131 Posts

You don't need to buy every sequal but at this point what difference is there between cod4 through mw3? As for WoW people who play MMO's have tried it, got sucked in or ignored it by now. Many of the people that got sucked in cant be expected to play the same game for a 10 years straight. Acti-Blizzard needs some new products.

Custodian405

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Custodian405
Member since 2003 • 1041 Posts

I don't think Infinity Ward has ever claimed COD to be realistic at any point. It's an arcade type shooter, not designed for realism.

HyperWarlock

Doesn't matter what they said or didn't say, matters what the people playing the game think. So tell this to my buddy, not me.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="Custodian405"]Why I don't like the CoD series? Well, for example, my buddy refuses to play anything other than "tactical modern military shooters" or whatever. And I've tried playing Boarderlands co-op with him one time and he was like "wtf is this? this is cartoony and not realistic!!" I was like, ok well lets play Halo or Gears then. He was still like "NO, i don't like those games because they have aliens and junk, i only like realistic FPS". I know, im making my friend sound like a total dumbass but what the hell is 'realistic'? CoD is relaistic? what part of it? the quick scoping? the bullet holes that take several seconds to heal or the overal respawn system? or my favourite, that thing that all the 'pros' do where they prone out and shoot at the same time. I guess i just hate how CoD has become the acceptable game for people who don't usually play video games. But how everything else is still lame and geeky and nerdy.HyperWarlock

Correct, but it used to be a hell of a lot more "realistic" before CoD4 hit
TheFatPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 TheFatPerson
Member since 2011 • 1806 Posts

The only people I see that truly "hate" on World of Warcraft are the people that are brainwashed by South Park, "gaming addiction" propaganda and think that anybody who plays WoW is a socially awkward nerd with no life.

That being said, I'm not too crazy about WoW simply because of the really bad direction it has taken starting about two or three years ago when Activision bought Blizzard. Since then, the game has turned into another casual-ridden, dumbed down game. The same people that would pick on me in 2008 for playing are now claiming it's the best game ever.

There's no longer a sense of interaction with the world and no sense of exploration because now with the LFD/LFR tools, you can grind to level 15, and then just do instances over and over, and level to 85 in a matter of three weeks. PVP in the game is virtually non-existant, and end game is pretty much limited to raiding and nothing else. It's all anyone ever does, since it's the easiest way to obtain new gear. There's no longer a sense of camaraderie on the servers now since cross-server dungeon groups have been implemented. And the badge system and emphasis on sub-par vehicle combat at the end of WOTLK was really what ruined the game for me. Everything is now about the rewards, and less about playing the game.

And the new expansion is a f**king joke. That's what's competing with Guild Wars 2? Pandas? REALLY???

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

I have nothing for or against WoW, but CoD is just so stale and recycled can't see why people pay $60+DLC for a game minimaly changed since CoD4. I have every CoD on PC from the first one to CoD4 and I still play them occasionaly, but they havent changed the game in any meaningful way since then that it's just turned onto a yearly cash grab every November. Activision knows it sells so well due to this formula and any small change will make the brogamers cringe. It's an easy game to pick up and play and get loads of killstreaks in. To me, it's as if the new CoD games belong in an arcade at wal-mart where I insert coins for lives.

wis3boi

Pretty much this.

WoW was a lot of fun during vanilla, but it lost its charm after the expansions IMO.

HyperWarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 HyperWarlock

The only people I see that truly "hate" on World of Warcraft are the people that are brainwashed by South Park, "gaming addiction" propaganda and think that anybody who plays WoW is a socially awkward nerd with no life.

That being said, I'm not too crazy about WoW simply because of the really bad direction it has taken starting about two or three years ago when Activision bought Blizzard. Since then, the game has turned into another casual-ridden, dumbed down game. The same people that would pick on me in 2008 for playing are now claiming it's the best game ever.

There's no longer a sense of interaction with the world and no sense of exploration because now with the LFD/LFR tools, you can grind to level 15, and then just do instances over and over, and level to 85 in a matter of three weeks. PVP in the game is virtually non-existant, and end game is pretty much limited to raiding and nothing else. It's all anyone ever does, since it's the easiest way to obtain new gear. There's no longer a sense of camaraderie on the servers now since cross-server dungeon groups have been implemented. And the badge system and emphasis on sub-par vehicle combat at the end of WOTLK was really what ruined the game for me. Everything is now about the rewards, and less about playing the game.

And the new expansion is a f**king joke. That's what's competing with Guild Wars 2? Pandas? REALLY???

TheFatPerson

Thing is though, I found out recently that they have been in the lore since WarCraft 3, It's only since they introduced it to WoW that people don't like it. Also I don't think an expansion is competing with GW2 it's the actual base game.

JW-toch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JW-toch

[QUOTE="TheFatPerson"]

HyperWarlock

Thing is though, I found out recently that they have been in the lore since WarCraft 3, It's only since they introduced it to WoW that people don't like it. Also I don't think an expansion is competing with GW2 it's the actual base game.

Yes, but the panda's were initially an April fools joke, if I'm correct. They're really scraping the bottom of the barrel if they implement an April fools joke as a real feature. Anyway, I would still be playing WoW, if it wasn't so immensely time consuming.

Bruin1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Bruin1986
Member since 2007 • 1629 Posts

People don't have issues with the games on their own. The problem is the effect that these games have on the larger industry.

By itself, WoW is undoubtedly the best MMO created to date. For this reason it has controlled up to 66% of the entire MMO market, an unbelieveably large portion. The problem is that all other game developers have started emulating WoW, sometimes openly with games like Rift, in an attempt to capture part of that market share. This decreases diversity within the MMO market.

CoD is a great FPS by itself with a fun niche. It's done unbelieveably well in sales. That's not a problem. The issue is that both other developers, and Activision itself, has tried to replicate the success over and over and over and over. Once again, it leads to lack of diversity in the FPS market.

That's the problem.

HyperWarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 HyperWarlock

People don't have issues with the games on their own. The problem is the effect that these games have on the larger industry.

By itself, WoW is undoubtedly the best MMO created to date. For this reason it has controlled up to 66% of the entire MMO market, an unbelieveably large portion. The problem is that all other game developers have started emulating WoW, sometimes openly with games like Rift, in an attempt to capture part of that market share. This decreases diversity within the MMO market.

CoD is a great FPS by itself with a fun niche. It's done unbelieveably well in sales. That's not a problem. The issue is that both other developers, and Activision itself, has tried to replicate the success over and over and over and over. Once again, it leads to lack of diversity in the FPS market.

That's the problem.

Bruin1986

I think you just answered my qustion, everything you said makes a lot of sense.

TheFatPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TheFatPerson
Member since 2011 • 1806 Posts

[QUOTE="TheFatPerson"]

HyperWarlock

I think that the pandas would have been a better idea for a patch or something. Not a full-blown expansion pack. I do realize that they are part of the lore (I probably should have mentioned that) but I think that going to the Maelstrom and dealing with Queen Azshara or going to the Eredar homeworld would have been a better idea.

Avatar image for jacobhazard1704
jacobhazard1704

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jacobhazard1704
Member since 2004 • 215 Posts

Wow is just getting stale for me. They took all of the players out of the world, now everyone just sits in stormwind waiting for queue's. I am going to try the new expanision, but the LFR every 3-4 weeks is still too much at this point in my life. Just bought Rift though, we'll see where that goes.

James00715

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 James00715
Member since 2003 • 2484 Posts

The gaming industry is about art, and that means people are looking for innovation. The problem is these popular games rely on the same formula every year. The masses don't really care about this innovation so much, but the more veteran gamers do. CoD is worse than WoW on this with rehashes every year that barely change anything. All the shooters have to follow that same formula to have a chance at getting the masses to try their game. WoW causes this problem to some extent as well as we have seen with all the WoW-clones. Everyone wants to cash in on that same idea, which causes all of us to be stuck with the same games just with better graphics.

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

Call of Duty is the same game with slightly better graphics and a couple of new features. World of Warcraft is also getting the game engine old.

However, they're both great games.

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts

If you look back about 3 or 4 years ago, both of these games were highly praised on this site. Now, however they are being treated like they are the worst creations to come from mankind.

Lets take Call of Duty for an example. Forgetting any sequels or games that came before it, If MW3 was released as the first game in the series, would you have more respect for it? After all, when people complain about the games being rehashed, nobody forces you to buy every sequel. You could buy One game and play it for a few years and then pick up a new one.

And what's wrong with WoW? I think it's in great shape right now and amazingly polished. The questing is less of a grind than most MMO's out there.

I'm not fanboys of any of these games, I just can't understand why two of the biggest games in their respective genres are now being treated like Big Rigs.

HyperWarlock
Regarding CoD, it would not have been respected, if it came at the time of CoD4.You seem to be forgetting about the lack of proper dedicated servers, FOV lock, etc.
jakes456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 jakes456
Member since 2011 • 1398 Posts

The last 3 CoD games are the same thing over and over. Best of the series was COD 2.

WoW was amazing 2004-2010. Since Cataclysm it is on the decline. They are running out of good ideas, the new stuff was nothing eye opening, and the veterans are just bored.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

I didn't even like CoD 4, and that was when everyone was on honeymoon with the series.

Ahead of the curve I guess.

boybrushdred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 boybrushdred
Member since 2007 • 1892 Posts

Why I don't like the CoD series? Well, for example, my buddy refuses to play anything other than "tactical modern military shooters" or whatever. And I've tried playing Boarderlands co-op with him one time and he was like "wtf is this? this is cartoony and not realistic!!" I was like, ok well lets play Halo or Gears then. He was still like "NO, i don't like those games because they have aliens and junk, i only like realistic FPS". I know, im making my friend sound like a total dumbass but what the hell is 'realistic'? CoD is relaistic? what part of it? the quick scoping? the bullet holes that take several seconds to heal or the overal respawn system? or my favourite, that thing that all the 'pros' do where they prone out and shoot at the same time. I guess i just hate how CoD has become the acceptable game for people who don't usually play video games. But how everything else is still lame and geeky and nerdy.Custodian405

i think he meant "realistic" setting. as in real world military setting. set on real world locations with human vs human warfare with real world guns/weapons. and he doesnt like post apocalytic setting with zombies and mutants or sci-fi futuristic setting with blaster weapons set on future earth or other planets with aliens.

Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Zubinen
Member since 2011 • 2555 Posts

I didn't even like CoD 4, and that was when everyone was on honeymoon with the series.

Ahead of the curve I guess.

topgunmv
I don't trust Treyarch to make an enjoyable game(MP wise), ever, period. COD 2 was alright, COD 6 MP was by far the most enjoyable for me, the rest I could care less for. I didn't touch vanilla COD4.
DevilMightCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DevilMightCry
Member since 2007 • 3554 Posts
I enjoyed COD. I loved the 2nd. 3rd was junk. 4 is classic. WaW was ok, and it had Zombies and CoOp. MW2 was imbalanced with massive feature setback. Black Ops started kicking in the COD fatigue. MW3 just ended any joy I had left for the series.
lpjazzman220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31 lpjazzman220
Member since 2008 • 2249 Posts

[QUOTE="HyperWarlock"]I don't think Infinity Ward has ever claimed COD to be realistic at any point. It's an arcade type shooter, not designed for realism.

Custodian405

Doesn't matter what they said or didn't say, matters what the people playing the game think. So tell this to my buddy, not me.

sit ur buddy down with arma 2..."walk for 10 minutes with nvg's on...rustles a bush...hears a few cracks...and u remember u forgot to save recently..."

seriously tho...cod is about as close to realistic as killzone is...realism is goin on a blue milk run...then about an hour in...ur truck explodes adn game over...just saying...doesnt seem like fun huh? honesly tho...i havnt bought a cod game since cod4...mostly cause they dont change enough...my friends end up gettin them...i sit down with the sp for about 4 hours--the end...maybe do some co-op...but i never play online anymore...its just aweful...and cod4 was imho the best online exp a cod game has ever had...and even at that the helicopter made the game feel cheap "oh look ur doing slightly better than everyone else...lets sky rocket u to the top of the score board...and secure ur position so no one else has a good chance"

kriggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 kriggy
Member since 2008 • 1314 Posts

The thing about COD is that even so if they make changes in every installment, I think that some changes in MW3 were not really thought through. For example the spawning in TDM, in 40% of my spawns in MW3 I spawn in front of my enemy with my back turned against them. In MW2 you they atleast had the dignity to make you spawn 5% of the times in front of the enemy and at those times with your face facing him so you atleast had a chance to survive for more than 0,000005 seconds. I even broke my last keyboard in rage because of this, no I'm not kidding...

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#33 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
World of Warcraft (vanilla) and Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare were the best. None of their expansions, sequels, can top them.. period.