Buying Laptop - $1.3k Budget

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by LukaBServices (29 posts) -
Hey, I am going to the US in june and would be buying a new laptop as my current one sucks (Toshiba Satellite - WORST MISTAKE). I have a budget of around $1.3k-$1.4k (USD). I was thinking buying the laptop from Bestbuy maybe or so.... Which laptop would you recommend? I am a gamer and play the latest games (BF3/MW3/BF4/CRYSIS etc). Highly Appreciated!
#2 Posted by the_bi99man (11062 posts) -

For that much, you should be able to get something in the Dell XPS line. They usually have at least halfway decent GPUs in them, and you can customize them, and have them sent to you with just a clean windows install, no bloatware. Don't get a laptop from a box store. They'll be loaded with bloatware, and usually nothing in the way of graphics cards. Whatever brand you decide on, use their website and do whatever customization you can. 

I got my Studio XPS 17 from Dell in 2009, for right about that same price. It ran the current games at the time at high settings, with a few exceptions (crysis and crysis 2, mostly). These days I still use it for the latest games, and can usually get plenty playable framerates, albeit by turning down to medium/low settings. It also has a 1080p native screen, which is great for movies and stuff. With most modern games, I have to turn down to 720p, but that still looks pretty good, on such a small screen.

Edit: Just took a glance at Dell's website, and it looks like they've reorganized their lines since I was shopping for mine. The XPS line doesn't look to be as good of a deal for the money anymore. The Inspiron 17R looks decent though. Here's the lineup page. See the one second from the right. Only $1100, and it's got an i7 3.4 ghz, 8gb RAM, and a GT 650m 2gb. With a 17" 1080p screen. That would get respectable performance in modern games, I do believe. Especially if you don't mind maybe turning down the resolution on some of the more demanding games. Even if you don't use the whole resolution for gaming, the 1080p screen is great for movies and stuff. Then the next one up is $1300, with the same stuff, but also a 3D capable screen, and blu-ray drive.

#3 Posted by Richard_The_Gr8 (620 posts) -

lenovo have some really good gaming laptops, You could probably get one with a gtx670m for that price.. my friend has one and its amazing.

#4 Posted by Gammit10 (2310 posts) -
That's about 200% what I've ever paid for a laptop.
#5 Posted by clyde46 (47869 posts) -
If you're paying over a grand for a laptop, get a Macbook Pro.
#6 Posted by LukaBServices (29 posts) -
Nah not a fan of macbooks, and I use a lot of softwares often that are not available for iOS :) Inspiron 17R SE looks like the best option right now, thanks a ton bi99man
#7 Posted by WinsteadVolve (366 posts) -

The sky is almost the limit with that kind of budget, a macbook pro would suite perfectly for leisurely work and convenience, and you could get an alienware (yes, a gaming PC, we are on a gaming website after all, might as well give you the option) the specifics on those things are perfect for gaming and work/streaming videos/all the leisurely things a household man/woman can do, look at reviews on numerous websites, we can only send you in that direction, apart from price, they are the only other good indicator as to what hardware you should aquire.

#8 Posted by LukaBServices (29 posts) -

The sky is almost the limit with that kind of budget, a macbook pro would suite perfectly for leisurely work and convenience, and you could get an alienware (yes, a gaming PC, we are on a gaming website after all, might as well give you the option) the specifics on those things are perfect for gaming and work/streaming videos/all the leisurely things a household man/woman can do, look at reviews on numerous websites, we can only send you in that direction, apart from price, they are the only other good indicator as to what hardware you should aquire.

WinsteadVolve
I Saw the pricing, they're like 1.9k for good ones, the dell one is a lot better for that pricing. I want a gaming, and I don't realyl see an Apple laptop being good for it overall, it's over-priced anyway.
#9 Posted by WinsteadVolve (366 posts) -

oh dear, I've miss-read it, I am terribly sorry, I was thinking in terms of Sterling. I wish I could give you links to some decent laptops I am aware of. Firstly I must be cautious of the rules on this website, and secondly I must be aware of the conversion of sterling pounds to dollars, but ASUS can do no wrong, I have one myself, and can vouch for it's reliabilty, specifically the k55a, it's practical use is un-matched. No advertisement was meant by this input, but that is the direction I can send you in.

#10 Posted by clyde46 (47869 posts) -
Nah not a fan of macbooks, and I use a lot of softwares often that are not available for iOS :) Inspiron 17R SE looks like the best option right now, thanks a ton bi99manLukaBServices
What software isn't on OSX?
#11 Posted by blaznwiipspman1 (6108 posts) -

can't believe people are actually recommending macbooks.  PChardware forums has gone downhill.  Anyways, you could get a decent gaming laptop for under $1000.  $1300 is overkill, save the rest of the money on a desktop or something else.

#12 Posted by clyde46 (47869 posts) -

can't believe people are actually recommending macbooks.  PChardware forums has gone downhill.  Anyways, you could get a decent gaming laptop for under $1000.  $1300 is overkill, save the rest of the money on a desktop or something else.

blaznwiipspman1
You want a good laptop, you buy a Macbook Pro. Simple as that.
#13 Posted by sSubZerOo (44567 posts) -
You can get the MSI or Asus gaming laptops for as little as 1100 (I have once seen them on sale for $950).. With that cost you get a I7, 8 to 12 gb ddr3, 1tb hd, Nvidia 660m GT, and a 17 inch screen.. Yeah I would like to see a Mac book match those stats for similar cost..
#14 Posted by blaznwiipspman1 (6108 posts) -

[QUOTE="blaznwiipspman1"]

clyde46

lol, uve been brainwashed good, real good.  Macs and macbooks make up what 4% of desktop computers/laptops?  Macs are garbage for just about everything, its sad but true, they especially suck at gaming since 90% of games arent compatible.  Their are laptops out there like the lenovo thinkpad that wipe the floor with any apple lineup.  Its sad how people can be brainwashed so easily by marketting.  

OP, these are the same people who wear nike shoes, have ipod mp3 players, have ipad tablets, have an iphone/samsung galaxy, use a macbook, drink pepsi, use nvidia graphics in their computers, drive a benz (c class) and play call of duty.  All this so people think they're cooool :D  You're better off not listening to these types of people, /ignore.

#15 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -
Well you said it yourself, Worst mistake. Stop buying from Bestbuy.

blaznwiipspman1
This.
#16 Posted by mastershake575 (8364 posts) -

I would recommend something with a 660M or a 670MX GPU

#18 Posted by kraken2109 (13257 posts) -
hi i would like to suggest you a Apple MacBook Pro 15-inch MD103HN/A Intel Core i7 8 GB 750GB 512MB Graphics OS X Mountain Lion ...The Apple MacBook Pro MD103HN/A speeds things up with the 2.3GHz Intel Core i7, the fastest mobile dual-core processor available. With Turbo Boost speeds up to 3.4GHz, this processor brings more power to everything you do. It is processed by 512MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M GPU takes your gaming graphics to a whole new level with no extra hardware needed. Ultra-fast and ultra-flexible, the Thunderbolt pipeline is up to 12 times faster than FireWire 800 and offers unprecedented expansion capabilities... can also make video calls to iPad, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPod touch and other Intel-based Mac computers. martinluthra14
dat bot
#19 Posted by Sweetbackhair (1926 posts) -
Lenovo has some gaming laptops that are a little under $1000 with the coupon that they give you.
#20 Posted by lostrib (44531 posts) -

Are you just visiting the US or are you moving to the US? If you're moving (ie going to live here) better to get a cheaper laptop and a gaming desktop

#21 Posted by lostrib (44531 posts) -

[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="blaznwiipspman1"]

blaznwiipspman1

lol, uve been brainwashed good, real good.  Macs and macbooks make up what 4% of desktop computers/laptops?  Macs are garbage for just about everything, its sad but true, they especially suck at gaming since 90% of games arent compatible.  Their are laptops out there like the lenovo thinkpad that wipe the floor with any apple lineup.  Its sad how people can be brainwashed so easily by marketting.  

OP, these are the same people who wear nike shoes, have ipod mp3 players, have ipad tablets, have an iphone/samsung galaxy, use a macbook, drink pepsi, use nvidia graphics in their computers, drive a benz (c class) and play call of duty.  All this so people think they're cooool :D  You're better off not listening to these types of people, /ignore.

But macs don't get viruses and they're better for graphic design and music

#22 Posted by sleepingzzz (2263 posts) -

This site has good gaming laptops.

http://www.xoticpc.com

If you're patient you can wait for a good deal.  Always look around everywhere.  Alienware may be overpriced but, now and then they may have a sale that makes it worth it.

I bought my laptop for work last year.  The screen on it is really nice.

http://store.sony.com/laptop/Custom-Sony-VAIO-Laptop-15.5-S-Series/SVS151190X-Performance/en/vaio/8198552921666456543

I bought it refurbish and found a coupon online for half off.  Paid $600 with taxes and shipping.  Price for that model new when I bought it was around $1500 which is over priced.  But, the price I got it for was more than worth it.  Just look around and keep an eye out for deals.    

#23 Posted by Gammit10 (2310 posts) -

[QUOTE="clyde46"] You want a good laptop, you buy a Macbook Pro. Simple as that. lostrib

LOL, last stats I looked showed over 50% of the MACs in the USA were infected.
#24 Posted by lostrib (44531 posts) -

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

Gammit10

Nope, macs don't need anti-virus

#25 Posted by sleepingzzz (2263 posts) -

[QUOTE="Gammit10"][QUOTE="lostrib"]

lostrib

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2012/04/06/how-to-protect-your-mac-against-malware/

#26 Posted by Gammit10 (2310 posts) -

[QUOTE="Gammit10"][QUOTE="lostrib"]

lostrib

Can't tell if troll or ignorant...
#27 Posted by lostrib (44531 posts) -

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="Gammit10"] LOL, last stats I looked showed over 50% of the MACs in the USA were infected.Gammit10

Can't tell if troll or ignorant...

lulz http://lifehacker.com/5865131/the-best-antivirus-app-for-mac

#28 Posted by lostrib (44531 posts) -

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="Gammit10"] LOL, last stats I looked showed over 50% of the MACs in the USA were infected.sleepingzzz

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2012/04/06/how-to-protect-your-mac-against-malware/

lulz that was a problem with java.  And it doesnt compare at all to the Conflicker infection