bulldozer with amd turbo core 2.0

This topic is locked from further discussion.

akashkoppa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 akashkoppa
Member since 2010 • 84 Posts

http://blogs.amd.com/work/2011/01/31/bulldozer-goes-to-11/

there is quite a bit of info in there but the highlight

"Up to 500MHz of additional clock speed available with all cores active. This means even with 16 cores active with server workloads, all cores can boost at the same time. "

with lesser active cores the overclock is even more but they are not saying how much

it is TDP dependent and not temperature like intel processors.

Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Daytona_178
Member since 2005 • 14962 Posts

So its basically Turbo Boost, but for AMD.

Just so you know, Turbo Boost that is in Sandy bridge ignores temperature if boosting for only a short period of time, this is because it takes time to heat up.

Anyway, its good to hear AMD is adopting this useful feature into their Bulldozer CPU's!

Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Daytona_178

For people who want to understand Intel's new Turbo Boost tech:

http://www.intel.com/technology/turboboost/index.htm

emperorzhang66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 emperorzhang66
Member since 2009 • 1483 Posts
Any word on a more precise release date that isn't Q2 ?
Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Daytona_178
Any word on a more precise release date that isn't Q2 ?emperorzhang66
I spoke with an AMD rep and they said when it releases its going to be purely for Server/workstations....maybe at the end of the year the desktop version will appear. He could be talking rubbish though.
emperorzhang66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 emperorzhang66
[QUOTE="emperorzhang66"]Any word on a more precise release date that isn't Q2 ?Daytona_178
I spoke with an AMD rep and they said when it releases its going to be purely for Server/workstations....maybe at the end of the year the desktop version will appear. He could be talking rubbish though.

You work in IT?
ttobba07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 ttobba07
Member since 2005 • 2396 Posts

[QUOTE="emperorzhang66"]Any word on a more precise release date that isn't Q2 ?Daytona_178

The AMD rep at my career fair last month said mid-March/early April for servers and May before they ship to manufacturers for mainstream use. Then expect July/August individual purchases. That is just a timeline AMD wants and in no way, shape, or form set in stone.

emperorzhang66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 emperorzhang66
[QUOTE="Daytona_178"][QUOTE="emperorzhang66"]Any word on a more precise release date that isn't Q2 ?ttobba07

The AMD rep at my career fair last month said mid-March/early April for servers and May before they ship to manufacturers. Then expect July/August individual purchases. That is just a timeline AMD wants and in no way, shape, or form set in stone.

I was kinda hoping desktop platform would be may/June :( Hopefully its early (but it is AMD). If i have to wait till august i'm buying intel.
Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Daytona_178
[QUOTE="Daytona_178"][QUOTE="emperorzhang66"]Any word on a more precise release date that isn't Q2 ?emperorzhang66

You work in IT?

Yes, I work for Asus.
emperorzhang66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 emperorzhang66
[QUOTE="Daytona_178"][QUOTE="emperorzhang66"][QUOTE="Daytona_178"] I spoke with an AMD rep and they said when it releases its going to be purely for Server/workstations....maybe at the end of the year the desktop version will appear. He could be talking rubbish though.

You work in IT?

Yes, I work for Asus.

Not to hijack slightly, but what do you do? Marketing, engineer, H.R. ? Trying to get into the industry :)
Blackfallen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Blackfallen
Member since 2005 • 857 Posts

[QUOTE="Daytona_178"][QUOTE="emperorzhang66"] You work in IT?emperorzhang66
Yes, I work for Asus.

Not to hijack slightly, but what do you do? Marketing, engineer, H.R. ? Trying to get into the industry :)

Bulldozer will release in Q2 for client and Q3 for servers it have been confirmed by AMD and also JFAMD- he posts in anandtechs forum and techpowerup

Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Daytona_178

[QUOTE="Daytona_178"][QUOTE="emperorzhang66"] You work in IT?emperorzhang66
Yes, I work for Asus.

I provide technical support for motherboards and video cards in the UK.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#13 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

[QUOTE="emperorzhang66"][QUOTE="Daytona_178"] Yes, I work for Asus.Daytona_178

Awesome mate. I love Asus. Keep up the great work!
Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Daytona_178

[QUOTE="Daytona_178"]

[QUOTE="emperorzhang66"] Not to hijack slightly, but what do you do? Marketing, engineer, H.R. ? Trying to get into the industry :)Elann2008

Asus are a great company, its good to work for them. having been to their HQ in Taiwan for 1 months training with their lead engineers its amazing to see how much love and care they put into their motherboards.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23832 Posts

[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="Daytona_178"] I provide technical support for motherboards and video cards in the UK.

Daytona_178

Asus are a great company, its good to work for them. having been to their HQ in Taiwan for 1 months training with their lead engineers its amazing to see how much love and care they put into their motherboards.

And yet you have a gigabyte motherboard TRAITOR !:D

Ive mostly have used ASUS boards and I have used a couple gigabyte boards in the past both are good companies.

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts

[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="Daytona_178"] I provide technical support for motherboards and video cards in the UK.

Daytona_178

Did you get to meet many of the marketing dudes? We may know some of the same people, though I don't work for them. :D
Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Daytona_178

[QUOTE="Daytona_178"]

[QUOTE="Elann2008"] Awesome mate. I love Asus. Keep up the great work!04dcarraher

And yet you have a gigabyte motherboard TRAITOR !:D

Ive mostly have used ASUS boards and I have used a couple gigabyte boards in the past both are good companies.

To be honest I built this rig before I worked for Asus :D Now though if i was to build a new rig I would definitely get a P67 Sabertooth, cant beat military grade components ;)
Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Daytona_178
[QUOTE="Daytona_178"]

[QUOTE="Elann2008"] Awesome mate. I love Asus. Keep up the great work!Makari

Did you get to meet many of the marketing dudes? We may know some of the same people, though I don't work for them. :D

To be honest because I am tech support I don't get too interested in the whole sales side of things, we have a bunch of smooth talker for that! :) I mainly just stay in communication with our engineering team in HQ to troubleshoot and resolve major issues our customers have. So where do you work?
emperorzhang66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 emperorzhang66

[QUOTE="emperorzhang66"][QUOTE="Daytona_178"] Yes, I work for Asus.Daytona_178

Bulldozer will release in Q2 for client and Q3 for servers it have been confirmed by AMD and also JFAMD- he posts in anandtechs forum and techpowerup

Link?
emperorzhang66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 emperorzhang66

[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="Daytona_178"] Yes, I work for Asus.Daytona_178

Link ?
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts

[QUOTE="Makari"][QUOTE="Daytona_178"] Asus are a great company, its good to work for them. having been to their HQ in Taiwan for 1 months training with their lead engineers its amazing to see how much love and care they put into their motherboards.

Daytona_178

To be honest because I am tech support I don't get too interested in the whole sales side of things, we have a bunch of smooth talker for that! :) I mainly just stay in communication with our engineering team in HQ to troubleshoot and resolve major issues our customers have. So where do you work?

Right now, totally unrelated IT in the CA - I used to know a couple guys from the Fremont office who've IIRC scattered around (at least one back to Taiwan).

Way back in the P4 days, I dropped by there and worked with some random dudes who were trying to figure out wtf was up with the SiS 648 chipset and crummy memory bandwidth. :D

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

Your information is backwards, the desktop bulldozers will come out Q2 and the server bulldozers will come out in Q3. The person I heard this from is JF-AMD who is the writer of the blog in the original post.

"That article is incorrect

AMD did not change schedules.

Desktop in Q2
Server in Q3"

The post is him referring to a xbit article saying that the desktop parts were delayed until summer.

Blackfallen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Blackfallen
Member since 2005 • 857 Posts

[QUOTE="Daytona_178"][QUOTE="emperorzhang66"]Any word on a more precise release date that isn't Q2 ?GummiRaccoon

Your information is backwards, the desktop bulldozers will come out Q2 and the server bulldozers will come out in Q3. The person I heard this from is JF-AMD who is the writer of the blog in the original post.

"That article is incorrect

AMD did not change schedules.

Desktop in Q2
Server in Q3"

The post is him referring to a xbit article saying that the desktop parts were delayed until summer.

its the truth go to anandtech and you will see him posting all the time or even check his blog out! But yes this is one of the very few times there releasing a client version before server

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2134911
all the bulldozer info right there

xsubtownerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24 xsubtownerx
Member since 2007 • 10705 Posts
[QUOTE="Daytona_178"] Yes, I work for Asus.

That's awesome. Can you tell me when we should be expecting the re-releases of the P8P67 motherboards?
Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Daytona_178
[QUOTE="xsubtownerx"][QUOTE="Daytona_178"] Yes, I work for Asus.

That's awesome. Can you tell me when we should be expecting the re-releases of the P8P67 motherboards?

As its Chinese New Year right now HQ only had a short time to look into it before leaving for their holidays. Intel are making the new chipsets right now any we HOPE to have replaced ALL motherboards currently on the market (for both customers and re-sellers) in 2-3 month's roughly.
akashkoppa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 akashkoppa
Member since 2010 • 84 Posts

an update - they are going showcase(demo) the bulldozer at cebit 2011

Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Daytona_178

an update - they are going showcase(demo) the bulldozer at cebit 2011

akashkoppa
Sweet.
whet40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 whet40
Member since 2006 • 318 Posts

[QUOTE="Daytona_178"]

[QUOTE="Elann2008"] Not to hijack slightly, but what do you do? Marketing, engineer, H.R. ? Trying to get into the industry :)emperorzhang66

Link ?

here