Build Question: i5 4690k vs i7 4790k single GPU

This topic is locked from further discussion.

oflow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 0

#1 oflow
Member since 2003 • 5185 Posts

Working on building a new mid range gaming rig and had a question for the builders here.

I'm building a single gpu rig and not planning on OCing. Probably wont be running 4k.

I've read a few articles and most people say that the i5 4690k is plenty for primarily gaming but i have seen others say buy the i7 4790k for the hyperthreading/future developments.

Money isnt really the issue but I also dont really care about overkill or buying something that wont really give me noticeable differences. From what I've seen the i7 only offers maybe 5 fps difference.

Is it worth buying the i7 or should I stick to the i5 for strictly gaming?

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#3 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

Agreed, go with 4690K & spend more money on a GPU.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

I'd go with the i7, games are going to be heavily multithreaded from here on out.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@oflow said:

Working on building a new mid range gaming rig and had a question for the builders here.

I'm building a single gpu rig and not planning on OCing. Probably wont be running 4k.

I've read a few articles and most people say that the i5 4690k is plenty for primarily gaming but i have seen others say buy the i7 4790k for the hyperthreading/future developments.

Money isnt really the issue but I also dont really care about overkill or buying something that wont really give me noticeable differences. From what I've seen the i7 only offers maybe 5 fps difference.

Is it worth buying the i7 or should I stick to the i5 for strictly gaming?

If you're not going to OC just get the non K version of those CPUs (unless you're talking about OC the GPU)

Go with i5, there's no point in throwing away 100$.