Blizzard:Your physical copy is useless paper weight.

Dante9916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 Dante9916
Member since 2006 • 203 Posts

I finaly bought Starcraft 2 heart of swarm.Doesn't work.

I put dvd in, it starts Blizzard updater,Battle net.Doesn't patch, doesn't install, doesn't work.

I have been trying to fix this problem about a week now.I'm IT professional actually..I know sometimes you have problems with games, but this is just horrible..

Anyway been connectin to Blizzard support, trying and doing everything they told me..Now they sent me this message:

Hello Jaakko.

I understand there is an issue with installing starcraft 2? It sounds like you are trying to install the game from the disc. We no longer install the game that way and we now use the desk top app and you can download that from here.https://eu.battle.net/support/en/article/battlenet-desktop-application .

Make sure you are using a wired connection also be sure that all of the computers drivers are up to date. The net work card and the Graphics card were both out of date and you are using a wireless connection so once you get it wired and update the network and Graphics card you should be fine. There were some issues with the path ping and tracert that you sent to us showing packet loss on hope four long before it reaches us.

That will take you some time to do so make sure you update everything and get a wired connection and then use the inBattle.net app to install the games.

App that doesn't work.And for some reason, need wired conecction.I can at the moment use wireless only.So I can't play the game.Even after few days of doing all other shit,like yes updating every single driver,enabling full rights trough firewalls etc..I just wasted my money.

I mean this is Blizzard, for heavens sake..NOT EA.

Oh and yeea some of my friends say theyr updater works fine no problems etc,maybe I am 1%.But for some reason doesn't work on me..I wouldn't mind playing little buggy single player campaing.

This is the future eh..

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Kjranu
Member since 2012 • 1802 Posts

Yeah, I bought physical copies of Diablo 3 and the RoS expansion ... turned out all the discs did was install the downloader.

Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Nick3306
Member since 2007 • 3429 Posts

You dont need a wired connection to download from the app, just wireless.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

Doesn't seem like that big of a deal...

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#5  Edited By Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

the whole reason to buy a physical copy is to save on bandwidth and time and get playing the game faster. I can see this for maybe WOW since the game has a lot of updates since its 2004 release.

Starcraft 2 is a single player game at its core, and should be playable out of the box... you shouldn't be required to install updates unless you want to play it online.

Glad i haven't bought any blizzard games since Warcraft. I was thinking about buying Diablo 3, but probably won't since I don't want to do deal with online crap like this.

If you are really wanting to play the game still you probably could update it using a VPN since it'd bypass any connection problems probably. I've been able to access sites i thought were down before by doing this... some reason just wouldn't load on my internet. Mind you a good vpn provider requires a small monthly fee, but its practically nothing.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@JangoWuzHere said:

It is for people without internet, with slow internet, and with internet with low download quotas.

If the customer bought a physical copy, he should be allowed to install from that media.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By SaintSatan
Member since 2003 • 1986 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

people without internet

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Pretty Soon your Digital Copy will be useless too....

WELCOME TO THE CLOUD !

I can't imagine whats going to replace streaming games.......

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Lulu_Lulu

This brings up something thats been bothering me lately.....

In music and movies.... When a new distrobution pops up.... They don't give up on the hold unless its really obsolete, and I mean really really obsolete..... I can still buy CDs, I can still buy DvDs.

But then again, unlike movies and music, it seems like games are getting bigger and bigger, why the hell was Metal Gear Rising over 10 Giggs ? What the hell was in that thing, I mean it wasn't even that pretty....

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

Just download it from their website under your account.

Its not that big of a deal, really.

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#11 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4400 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

It is for people without internet, with slow internet, and with internet with low download quotas.

If the customer bought a physical copy, he should be allowed to install from that media.

When I last installed SWTOR I installed the game from the DVD and then only had to download updates. Saved me some time. So it is nice in that aspect and I think it should stay that way. Then again - Blizzard wants to control as much as possible on their end from what I've seen.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

I just buy them to own them... I never use them because of this reason.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

This brings up something thats been bothering me lately.....

In music and movies.... When a new distrobution pops up.... They don't give up on the hold unless its really obsolete, and I mean really really obsolete..... I can still buy CDs, I can still buy DvDs.

But then again, unlike movies and music, it seems like games are getting bigger and bigger, why the hell was Metal Gear Rising over 10 Giggs ? What the hell was in that thing, I mean it wasn't even that pretty....

Basically the same story since FFVII on PS. All the cutscenes are video files.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#14 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58842 Posts

So's the game according to Diablo 3.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

Yeah discs were my way of saving bandwidth, now with fiber I don't need to but still, not fair selling discs of a game that simply downloads the installer. Then again I have popped in discs and been greeted with a downloader long before this move by Blizzard so can't say it's a surprise.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Lulu_Lulu

@glez13

Breaks My Heart :(.

they looked Expensive too.... Which is a shame because lets Face it.... story is not Platinum Games Forte.

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By cyloninside
Member since 2014 • 815 Posts

@Old_Gooseberry said:

the whole reason to buy a physical copy is to save on bandwidth and time and get playing the game faster. I can see this for maybe WOW since the game has a lot of updates since its 2004 release.

Starcraft 2 is a single player game at its core, and should be playable out of the box... you shouldn't be required to install updates unless you want to play it online.

Glad i haven't bought any blizzard games since Warcraft. I was thinking about buying Diablo 3, but probably won't since I don't want to do deal with online crap like this.

If you are really wanting to play the game still you probably could update it using a VPN since it'd bypass any connection problems probably. I've been able to access sites i thought were down before by doing this... some reason just wouldn't load on my internet. Mind you a good vpn provider requires a small monthly fee, but its practically nothing.

lets get one thing straight... SC2 is NOT a singleplayer game at its core. starcraft has, and always will be, a multiplayer focused game.

voljin1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 voljin1987
Member since 2012 • 1135 Posts

Sucks when games do this.. Had the exact issues with bot Shogun 2 Total War and CS GO.

mep69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mep69
Member since 2008 • 1926 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Pretty Soon your Digital Copy will be useless too....

WELCOME TO THE CLOUD !

I can't imagine whats going to replace streaming games.......

A nuclear holocaust.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Lulu_Lulu

@mep69

If theres Co-Op... I'm so in there ! :p

Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
deactivated-5920bf77daa85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#21 deactivated-5920bf77daa85
Member since 2004 • 3270 Posts

I mean this is Blizzard, for heavens sake..NOT EA.

Blizzard is far, far worse than EA - they are worse than Ubisoft at this point actually. I bought Starcraft: HOTS because I love Starcraft, but if it weren't for nostalgia I would say avoid their games entirely.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

@Dante9916: You must be some tier 1 status help desk guy. Just download from the internet, I haven't even had an optical drive in my computer since 2009.

Realmjumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 Realmjumper
Member since 2007 • 840 Posts

You do have a valid point that the game should be playable without any updates from the DVD.