Bioshock Infinite Discussion, Screenshots, Videos - Keep it here.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#101 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38219 posts) -

I have one question about the ending.

[spoiler]

Why did Comstock/Booker gave off Anna/Elizabeth to those people through the portal? I'm kind of confused and the ending was so overwhelming.:P

[/spoiler]

klusps

[spoiler] Okay, some context first.  The Lutece twins invented the time tear mechanic and that's how Comstock saw all his "Prophecies". But by using the machine he couldn't have children anymore due to radiation exposure or something like that but he really wanted a kid. So he knew at some point in time Booker (himself) would have a gambling problem and would easily give up his daughter for a promise to wipe away all his debt. So he went to another universe/time and said he would wipe away the debt if Booker sold his daughter to him. Booker agreed but then regretted it and followed Comstock. When he tried to pull the child back her pinky got severed in the portal, her body being in two timelines/universes at once gave her the ability to tear between universes [/spoiler]

Hope that cleared things up a bit

#102 Posted by klusps (10385 posts) -

[QUOTE="klusps"]

[spoiler]

Why did Comstock/Booker gave off Anna/Elizabeth to those people through the portal? I'm kind of confused and the ending was so overwhelming.:P

[/spoiler]

seanmcloughlin

[spoiler] Okay, some context first.  The Lutece twins invented the time tear mechanic and that's how Comstock saw all his "Prophecies". But by using the machine he couldn't have children anymore due to radiation exposure or something like that but he really wanted a kid. So he knew at some point in time Booker (himself) would have a gambling problem and would easily give up his daughter for a promise to wipe away all his debt. So he went to another universe/time and said he would wipe away the debt if Booker sold his daughter to him. Booker agreed but then regretted it and followed Comstock. When he tried to pull the child back her pinky got severed in the portal, her body being in two timelines/universes at once gave her the ability to tear between universes [/spoiler]

Thanks for clearing that up. Also I just noticed

[spoiler]

The ending is kind of like Looper.

[/spoiler]

#103 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38219 posts) -

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="klusps"]

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

klusps

Thanks for clearing that up. Also I just noticed

[spoiler]

The ending is kind of like Looper.

[/spoiler]

Yep, it's incredibly similar. 

#104 Posted by the_bi99man (11062 posts) -

Ho. Ly. Sh!t. WHAT A FVCKING ENDING! New favorite game of all time. Not even a contest. This sh!t is on a whole new level of story and narrative, that I, for one, have never even come close to seeing in any other game, and have only even seen in a very select few movies and books. Absolutely astonishing. Also, SUPER HARD. Jesus, that last level. I was thinking about trying 1999 mode before, but I think I'm done with that idea. I almost regretted even bumping it up to hard. But holy jesus christ monkey balls was it worth it.

The video during the credits was a fantastic treat, too. :D

#105 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38219 posts) -

Ho. Ly. Sh!t. WHAT A FVCKING ENDING! New favorite game of all time. Not even a contest. This sh!t is on a whole new level of story and narrative, that I, for one, have never even come close to seeing in any other game, and have only even seen in a very select few movies and books. Absolutely astonishing. Also, SUPER HARD. Jesus, that last level. I was thinking about trying 1999 mode before, but I think I'm done with that idea. I almost regretted even bumping it up to hard. But holy jesus christ monkey balls was it worth it.

the_bi99man

Now off to spoiler and explanation threads on the internet for you :P

That's all I've been doing for 2 days since I finished it. Trying to get my head around lots of aspects, when you hear some people mention certain things you're like "holy sh!t that's impressive" cos it was so well thought out

#106 Posted by the_bi99man (11062 posts) -

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

seanmcloughlin

Now off to spoiler and explanation threads on the internet for you :P

That's all I've been doing for 2 days since I finished it. Trying to get my head around lots of aspects, when you hear some people mention certain things you're like "holy sh!t that's impressive" cos it was so well thought out

Yeah, I feel like I have a pretty decent grasp of it. But it is just way too good. Also, yeah, having that one spoiler already known didn't even matter. The reasons it turned out like that are far more interesting than the simple fact that it did. Now for another playthrough! Or maybe I'll replay bioshock 1 for the billionth time... Or 2 for the... third time. :P

#107 Posted by the_bi99man (11062 posts) -

So, I just looked through most of the spoiler tagged discussion in this thread, and I saw a lot of talk about 

[spoiler] how there may or may not have been one elizabeth left in the end, and also about where/when rapture was and all that jazz. What I'm thinking is that, since all of time and space is existing together, and the different worlds/dimensions/whatever that are connected with the tears contain every possible scenario, from the very similar to the very different... Rapture is Columbia. Comstock/DeWitt was also Andrew Ryan. It was just one of those universes where there was more different than same. Still an idealistic man, with an idealistic dream for an isolated city, where things go wrong, and internal power struggles and idealistic extremism destroy the city. But different location/time of the city, and different ideals driving it.

Also, regarding elizabeth in the end, I assumed it was implying that she did completely cease to exist. All of them one at a time. They just didn't show the last one, cutting the scene on the cue, instead. [/spoiler]

#108 Posted by a_sh0pping_cart (354 posts) -

Looks like devs got their Bioshocks mixed up!

ynKqHak.jpg

#109 Posted by MLBknights58 (5015 posts) -

So the game is good.  Nothing special, but its pretty good and I'm having quite a good time with it so far.

A few grievances:

- Elizabeth becomes bugged sometimes during combat, while hiding she will sometimes get stuck in an endless animation loop while being stuck inside terrain.  Another case involved her endlessly going back and forth on the skyline, while hilarious, forced me to restart checkpoints, as did the previous situation.  It's only happened 3 times so far, but still thought I should mention it.

- Vigors seem highly ineffective or too effective.  Against normal scrubs, vigors are great, but against anything other than a normal bad guy vigors seem like minor distractons to the more nasty bad guys.

- Of the vast array of weapons the game lets you wield, I've only found 2 to be really satisfying and fun to use (Carbine, Hand Cannon). 

So yeah just some random thoughts.  Dunno.  Bout 8 hours in.

#110 Posted by the_bi99man (11062 posts) -

- Elizabeth becomes bugged sometimes during combat, while hiding she will sometimes get stuck in an endless animation loop while being stuck inside terrain.  Another case involved her endlessly going back and forth on the skyline, while hilarious, forced me to restart checkpoints, as did the previous situation.  It's only happened 3 times so far, but still thought I should mention it.

MLBknights58

Hmm. I've ran into those issues as well, but it never made me restart. I've always just pressed on, and before too long, she gets teleported back to me. Happens all the time when she's trying to throw me things in combat, too. She'll say she found salts just as I run around a corner, and I hit F while there's something between us, so she just teleports to a corner with a shot at me, and makes the throw.

#111 Posted by the_bi99man (11062 posts) -

Also, for those who care and/or are still on the fence and worried about the length, I played on hard, and finished in just a hair over 15 hours. I thought I was pretty thorough about looking and exploring everywhere, but I just started another playthrough and, less than 2 hours in, I've already found a couple things I missed before.

#112 Posted by lockjaw333 (1741 posts) -
This game is incredible. Storytelling just on another level from most games, so refreshing. My only minor gripe is the autosave/ checkpoint system. With a 9 month old at home, I don't always have large chunks of time to play. Having to replay sections because I'm not at a checkpoint and have no idea when the next one will be but the baby is crying so I have to exit...that is annoying. I'll never understand why devs are fascinated with autosave and checkpoint systems. To me it doesn't really add any difficulty, it just annoys me. I want to save when I want to save.
#113 Posted by with_teeth26 (6324 posts) -

This game is incredible. Storytelling just on another level from most games, so refreshing. My only minor gripe is the autosave/ checkpoint system. With a 9 month old at home, I don't always have large chunks of time to play. Having to replay sections because I'm not at a checkpoint and have no idea when the next one will be but the baby is crying so I have to exit...that is annoying. I'll never understand why devs are fascinated with autosave and checkpoint systems. To me it doesn't really add any difficulty, it just annoys me. I want to save when I want to save.lockjaw333

Agreed, its especially stupid when you take into account the fact that if you die you get respawned then and there, not at the last checkpoint. 

Didn't the first Bioshock have quicksaves? Its a bit baffling why they are not present here. 

#114 Posted by harry_james_pot (11233 posts) -
Can someone who finished the game tell me how much % am i into the game? I'm at the part where [spoiler] I'm supposed to find the 3 tears. [/spoiler]
#115 Posted by kozzy1234 (35378 posts) -

16 hours on Hard, god damn that last fight is hard on this difficulty lol.

Hunted down all teh side quests to :D

Great game overall, of course I could have used a few more missions but thats only because its so good hehe, it was a nice length for a solo fps campaign.

The presentation, atmosphere and characters are all fantastic. The story is good to, as is the gameplay (I feel like I was much more engaged in fighting then I was with Bioshock1/2). The music and sound editing was also very very well done.

Only real negatives I have is that there is no proper save feature and that there is some stuttering (most of this was fixed for me by doign some ini things thankfully). Two very small issues though in an otherwise wonderful game, what an experience! Hope to hear good things about the upcoming DLC and ill def cop em.

#116 Posted by kozzy1234 (35378 posts) -

Can someone who finished the game tell me how much % am i into the game? I'm at the part where [spoiler] I'm supposed to find the 3 tears. [/spoiler] harry_james_pot

Id say 60% done

#117 Posted by couly (5862 posts) -
Anyone know what the best FOV is for 1920 x 1200 ? What does it start at? wish they wouldn't use a slider bar.
#118 Posted by harry_james_pot (11233 posts) -

[QUOTE="harry_james_pot"]Can someone who finished the game tell me how much % am i into the game? I'm at the part where [spoiler] I'm supposed to find the 3 tears. [/spoiler] kozzy1234

Id say 60% done

Really? Amazing! I thought i was near the end! :D How is it possible that some people finished the game in 9 hours? It took me 16 hours just to get to this point!
#119 Posted by harry_james_pot (11233 posts) -
Anyone know what the best FOV is for 1920 x 1200 ? What does it start at? wish they wouldn't use a slider bar. couly
Actually, all the default values are way too low. You have to edit the ini file to get a proper FOV.
#120 Posted by Ben-Buja (2796 posts) -

Made a video of Bioshock Infinite (No spoilers)

#121 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38219 posts) -

Ben-Buja

Nice one man ;)

#122 Posted by Ben-Buja (2796 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ben-Buja"]

seanmcloughlin

Nice one man ;)

#123 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -
Fedex, don't fail me now. My copy is out for delivery today. x)
#124 Posted by kozzy1234 (35378 posts) -

Another wonderful video Ben, great work.

#125 Posted by with_teeth26 (6324 posts) -

I'm getting my ass kicked at [spoiler] the second fight with Lady Comstock's ghost after you open the second tear. So many freaking guys, I can't seem to get her health down before I get overwhelmed and killed, and I run out of ammo for my upgraded weapons before I can get through it. Any strategies for this one? First time I've had a hard time progressing due to playing on hard difficulty. [/spoiler]

#126 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -

Bioshock Retail copy

My turn! x)   Apologize for crappy photo quality.

#127 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38219 posts) -

I'm getting my ass kicked at [spoiler] the second fight with Lady Comstock's ghost after you open the second tear. So many freaking guys, I can't seem to get her health down before I get overwhelmed and killed, and I run out of ammo for my upgraded weapons before I can get through it. Any strategies for this one? First time I've had a hard time progressing due to playing on hard difficulty. [/spoiler]

with_teeth26

[spoiler] Bucking Bronco takes them out of the fight for a while, also Devil's Kiss burns their bodies so she can't revive them again. If you just kill them she will bring them back to life over and over [/spoiler]

#128 Posted by with_teeth26 (6324 posts) -

[QUOTE="with_teeth26"]

seanmcloughlin

[spoiler] Bucking Bronco takes them out of the fight for a while, also Devil's Kiss burns their bodies so she can't revive them again. If you just kill them she will bring them back to life over and over [/spoiler]

[spoiler] yea I got it eventually using crows and bucking bronco to stun them while I blasted away. I was all "yes, FINALLY!, I can  move on" then of course you have to do the same fight again like 10 minutes later. Went smoother the second time once I know what strategy to  use. [/spoiler]

#129 Posted by with_teeth26 (6324 posts) -

Well I finished it....and wasn't all that impressed with the ending. 

I think if they were trying to leave the ending open for interpretation they gave you too much information, and if they wanted you to understand a specific outcome they were not clear enough. Its an uncomfortable middle ground. 

[spoiler]  

I've dug around on the internet and read some interpretations that make sense but I still feel it was a bit muddled and didn't necessarily speak to the most interesting themes in the game, religion and racism, not crazy multiverse science fiction theories. 

I also feel there are some character inconsistencies, like how does a gambling lowlife like Booker turn into a racist lunatic like Comstock? There is also some wonky territory around Booker and Comstock existing within the same space at the same time while Elizibeth is hooked up to the Syphon and unable to open tears. I'm sure that can be explained using some abstract multiverse logic, but that also seems like a bit of a narrative shortcut. 

I honestly think that final 'twist' of booker becoming comstock with that baptism weakened the entire story. [/spoiler]

just noticed my spoiler tag wasn't actually covering the spoilers, hope I didn't ruin the ending for anyone. Friggen glitchy gamespot HTML. 

#130 Posted by BaronBifford (25 posts) -
SPOILERS I thought the whole game was a dream happening in Booker's head. He was actually the guy in the lighthouse with a bag over his head. The gangsters he owed money to executed him, but he didn't die instantly, and as his brain is bleeding out he's hallucinating this whole Columbia adventure, an elaborate way of confronting his past sins. It would have explained why so much of Columbia paralleled his past, and some very odd moments in the game that the time-travel story doesn't adequately explain.
#131 Posted by SKaREO (3161 posts) -
I've finally found a game worse than Duke Nukem Forever! 2/10
#132 Posted by kozzy1234 (35378 posts) -

I've finally found a game worse than Duke Nukem Forever! 2/10SKaREO

And the troll is back, took longer then I thought :lol:

Today it will be worst game ever then it will be best game ever, Counterstrike GO all over again, this troll cant make up his mind :lol:

#133 Posted by SKaREO (3161 posts) -

[QUOTE="SKaREO"]I've finally found a game worse than Duke Nukem Forever! 2/10kozzy1234

And the troll is back, took longer then I thought :lol:

Today it will be worst game ever then it will be best game ever, Counterstrike GO all over again, this troll cant make up his mind :lol:

I thought we went over this: a bad game can still be the best game available at the time.

But seriously, Wolfenstein3D had a better storyline than this game.

#134 Posted by harry_james_pot (11233 posts) -
BaronBifford
I almost read that by accident.. :| Can a mod put that in a spoiler tag please?
#135 Posted by CUDGEdave (2590 posts) -

When you ring the bells in the intro,It reminded me of the Close encounters movie when the felas in white were playing a that tune to the UFO...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98wPfMn2QSk&feature=youtu.be&t=3m55s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4Kgzn3tDQU

NO SPOILERS

#136 Posted by the_bi99man (11062 posts) -

[QUOTE="BaronBifford"]harry_james_pot
I almost read that by accident.. :| Can a mod put that in a spoiler tag please?

Don't worry. It makes no sense, and isn't even close to being a spoiler, because it's not even close to what actually happens.

#137 Posted by the_bi99man (11062 posts) -

So I've found a bug that causes a guaranteed crash to desktop every time. I've done it 4 times now. If you find the shirt that increases all clip sizes by 75%, beware of putting it on. Trying to change it to something else crashes the game. I'm assuming it has something to do with having guns equipped with more ammo in the clips than they'll be able to hold after taking off the shirt. Gonna see if I can switch it to something else (blood for salts is an awesome shirt), by making sure I only have a couple rounds loaded in both guns when i change it.

Also, I'm starting to think that 1999 mode might actually be impossible. At the [spoiler] first fight with Lady Comstock's ghost. Completely overwhelming. She takes soooo much fvcking damage. And all the dudes she revives deal so much damage. And her health regenerates when you die, too. I got to a point a minute ago where I had actually killed and burned all the guys she kept reviving, so it was just her. But, I was completely out of ammo and salts, and had meticulously searched and scoured the entire area, and had used every single gun the guys had dropped. Literally no way for me deal any more damage, except melee attacks, and she still had about 3/4 health. And her little explosion attack she does when you get close drains my shield (which is fully upgraded) entirely, and kills a quarter of my health bar on top of that. [/spoiler]

#138 Posted by harry_james_pot (11233 posts) -
Just finished the game, and holy freaking crap that ending was amazing! The whole game from start to finish has been an epic experience! (Took me 20 hours, btw) I.. can't even begin to explain how much i loved this game! Everything was done so perfectly and so beautifully, it deserves a 10 without any doubt. Actually, i'm so happy right now i might even write a review! :D Also, [spoiler] that part were i went through the tear, watched as songbird was drowning, and then turned around to realize i'm in Rapture.. Oh man.. just.. WOW! [/spoiler]
#139 Posted by the_bi99man (11062 posts) -

Just finished the game, and holy freaking crap that ending was amazing! The whole game from start to finish has been an epic experience! (Took me 20 hours, btw) I.. can't even begin to explain how much i loved this game! Everything was done so perfectly and so beautifully, it deserves a 10 without any doubt. Actually, i'm so happy right now i might even write a review! :D Also, [spoiler] that part were i went through the tear, watched as songbird was drowning, and then turned around to realize i'm in Rapture.. Oh man.. just.. WOW! [/spoiler] harry_james_pot

Right? Seriously, it's been a very long time since a game completely floored me in every aspect like this. My personal GOTG I think.

#140 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -
I entered the thread just to say I love the combat. That is all. x)
#141 Posted by harry_james_pot (11233 posts) -

[QUOTE="harry_james_pot"]Just finished the game, and holy freaking crap that ending was amazing! The whole game from start to finish has been an epic experience! (Took me 20 hours, btw) I.. can't even begin to explain how much i loved this game! Everything was done so perfectly and so beautifully, it deserves a 10 without any doubt. Actually, i'm so happy right now i might even write a review! :D Also, [spoiler] that part were i went through the tear, watched as songbird was drowning, and then turned around to realize i'm in Rapture.. Oh man.. just.. WOW! [/spoiler] the_bi99man

Right? Seriously, it's been a very long time since a game completely floored me in every aspect like this. My personal GOTG I think.

Yeah! I was having a discussion with a friend recently about how games have been very bad lately, and that it's never going to be the same again. But then this comes a long and restores my hope.. and not only by being a game that doesn't suck, but being perfect in every aspect! I mean, the art direction is beautiful, graphics are technically great, amazing sound design and music, gameplay is really fun, wonderful atmosphere, voice acting is one of the best ever, levels are big and open and allow for lots of exploration, interesting characters, fantastic story with great twists and an epic ending, and the game is long! What more can we ask for? I really can't wait to see what Irrational Games comes up with next. :)
#142 Posted by harry_james_pot (11233 posts) -
I entered the thread just to say I love the combat. That is all. x)Elann2008
It's really awesome! Also the sky lines is one of the best gameplay mechanics i've seen in years! They add a whole new layer to the combat.
#143 Posted by andmcq (253 posts) -

Completed the game today. Nothing special to warrant 10/10s. Complex story for the sake of being complex & solid gameplay mechanics. Sound, graphics, A.I and level design are par for the course. 

-Actually colour palette aside, the graphics aren't up to scratch for a 2013 PC release.

#144 Posted by the_bi99man (11062 posts) -

Okay, so, upon testing, yes, you have to make sure you have less than the default clip capacity loaded in the clips for both of your equipped guns, before removing gear that increases clip capacity. If not, the game will crash. And that being able to remove my +75% clip capacity shirt, and equip Blood for Salt, i got through the part that was destroying me. Moving on with 1999 mode...

#145 Posted by mitu123 (154668 posts) -

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

[QUOTE="harry_james_pot"]Just finished the game, and holy freaking crap that ending was amazing! The whole game from start to finish has been an epic experience! (Took me 20 hours, btw) I.. can't even begin to explain how much i loved this game! Everything was done so perfectly and so beautifully, it deserves a 10 without any doubt. Actually, i'm so happy right now i might even write a review! :D Also, [spoiler] that part were i went through the tear, watched as songbird was drowning, and then turned around to realize i'm in Rapture.. Oh man.. just.. WOW! [/spoiler] harry_james_pot

Yeah! I was having a discussion with a friend recently about how games have been very bad lately, and that it's never going to be the same again. But then this comes a long and restores my hope.. and not only by being a game that doesn't suck, but being perfect in every aspect! I mean, the art direction is beautiful, graphics are technically great, amazing sound design and music, gameplay is really fun, wonderful atmosphere, voice acting is one of the best ever, levels are big and open and allow for lots of exploration, interesting characters, fantastic story with great twists and an epic ending, and the game is long! What more can we ask for? I really can't wait to see what Irrational Games comes up with next. :)

I never seen you give a game so much praise like this before.:o

#146 Posted by with_teeth26 (6324 posts) -

After mulling over the ending and the game as a whole I'm feeling a bit more positive about it. 

When I finished the game it was right before I tried going to sleep, but I must have just lain there for 2 hours trying to work through the story and the ending in my head. Once I thought back to some of the earlier events in the game a few things did eventually click, and just the simple fact that it had me thinking so hard is pretty impressive for a game ending. 

I'm still not convinved the ending can be fully rationalized but its certainly interesting. 

Still, its far and away the best of the Bioshock games. Bioshock 1 was essentially a remake System Shock 2 without the RPG elements and tension, 2 was a cash grab that simply capitalized on the success of its predecessor, but Infinite felt like its own thing, and it was mechanically better than the other two games as well. 

#147 Posted by Miroku32 (8666 posts) -
Finished this, personally this gets a 9/10. It isn't perfect but it is an excellent game. I'm glad Irrationale Games used healthpack system instead of regenerative health that has plagued almost all the games since CoD became popular. Gameplay was fun, story was interesting, liked DeWitt and Elizabeth, graphics aren't top notch but the artstyle is which in my opinion is more important than graphics. [spoiler] Loved the part when Elizabeth and DeWitt go to Rapture [/spoiler]
#148 Posted by harry_james_pot (11233 posts) -

[QUOTE="harry_james_pot"][QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

mitu123

I never seen you give a game so much praise like this before.:o

I'm surprised too. I always have something to complain about :P , but not this time!
#149 Posted by SerOlmy (1817 posts) -
I would really love to know why the trolls are coming out of the woodwork on this one. I never liked the original Bioshock, tried to get into it several times and just couldn't, but I was blown away by Infinite. I don't think I've ever seen the degree of trolling associated with a game this good, trolling every Infinite thread, downvoting good reviews and positive comments, 1 paragraph 0-4/10 reviews. All of it seems to just be incoherent hate for the sake of riling people up.
#150 Posted by Miroku32 (8666 posts) -
So, ummm, has anyone tried 1999 Mode? How is it?