BF3's second hand buyers decision

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for jacobhazard1704
jacobhazard1704

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 jacobhazard1704
Member since 2004 • 215 Posts

I know it doesn't affect many of us here in the PC forums, but for those that are, for some reason, boycotting Origin, if you buy the game used you have to buy a 10 dollar pass to play online. I can see how DICE wants to be compensated, I just can't fathom why a developer would be uneccesarily greedy for no reason, I feel like they would only do this if they had just cause, and they see loss of income from second hand buyers making accounts on EA servers through BC2. Thoughts?

yourmajesty90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 yourmajesty90
Member since 2006 • 1420 Posts

It'd not DICE, dude. It's EA, they introduced the online pass even for Mass Effect and Fifa 10. EA probably to cut the second-hand market, and basically introduced cd-keys even for consoles. Yeah, the online pass is even for consoles. To be honest, it's a stupid move for us gamers, but a good move financially.

Avatar image for Ikuto_Tsukiyomi
Ikuto_Tsukiyomi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Ikuto_Tsukiyomi
Member since 2010 • 822 Posts

Its a good move for DICE/EA but console gamers can't seem to grasp there brains around the fact that Developers dont like second hand sales and think they're entitled to buying the game cheaper at the expense of the developer. Kinda childish IMO. I welcome the PayToUseOnline feature, as it doesnt bother me and will further help DICE get more funds for future products.

Bruin1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Bruin1986
Member since 2007 • 1629 Posts

Its a good move for DICE/EA but console gamers can't seem to grasp there brains around the fact that Developers dont like second hand sales and think they're entitled to buying the game cheaper at the expense of the developer. Kinda childish IMO. I welcome the PayToUseOnline feature, as it doesnt bother me and will further help DICE get more funds for future products.

Ikuto_Tsukiyomi
I wish more people echoed this sentiment. People have become accustomed to purchasing games second hand, as with many other media products, and it unfortunately hurts the publishers and developers. These products MUST make money or else future games/movies/songs etc won't exist...
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#5 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Have no problem with it, buy the game new

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#6 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

My CD key would have been tied to my EA account anyways. That's how PC games have worked for decades more or less.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Buy the game new like the rest of us, or wait a few years for the price to drop.

Papadrach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Papadrach
Member since 2008 • 1965 Posts

Well they made they game, why wouldn't they be mad for the sales of it? I find it understandable, plus buying them used isn't helping developers. Plus i was in Alpha, Origin isn't that bad. I liked it and the battle log worked well. When the game comes around i can only imagine it being better. Yes its not on steam, but thats no reason not to buy it.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#9 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
For the last time, developers and publishers make NO MONEY from second-hand/used games. If all they're asking is $10 so you could play online, then you should do the right thing. You putting down the money for the used copy is your call and totally on you. They don't get any of that money. It's extremely simple to understand but I see that many people still dont get it and live in their little bubble.
Agent_Kaliaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 Agent_Kaliaver
Member since 2004 • 4722 Posts
Its a good move for DICE/EA but console gamers can't seem to grasp there brains around the fact that Developers dont like second hand sales and think they're entitled to buying the game cheaper at the expense of the developer.Ikuto_Tsukiyomi
Like how PC gamers can't grasp the fact that they are not entitled to dedicated servers or other features like LAN capabilities? The used game market has been around for so long we have become accustomed to it just like PC gamers have with many of the features they have been slowly losing lately. I would call it childish to believe console gamers inferior to yourself. I think we grasp the idea that this is more of a move of the publishers than developers. I have no doubt in my mind the publisher benefits far more from these online passes then the developer does. Obviously the developer does get some money from it, but I would be in shock if the publisher didn't take a bigger cut. I understand that the used game market hurts developers and publishers, but I just can't recall a time when developers have complained about it. I can only recall when publishers have. Of course that could be my mistake and I just missed when the developers did.
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#11 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

It's not the developer being greedy, it's just smart business practice. Anyways if you buy a used game and then use their servers, the devloper actually loses money because of you.

SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#12 SerOlmy
Member since 2003 • 2369 Posts

Have no problem with it, buy the game new

kozzy1234

Me either. For PC gamers it doesn't matter anyway, most multiplayer games tie your CDKey to your account be it Origin, D2D, Steam, whatever. As for consoles, I think it is a good plan. Devs/Publishers get ZERO money from second-hand sales, and this helps them recomp some of the lost revenue to keep funding other projects.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Like how PC gamers can't grasp the fact that they are not entitled to dedicated servers or other features like LAN capabilities? The used game market has been around for so long we have become accustomed to it just like PC gamers have with many of the features they have been slowly losing lately. I would call it childish to believe console gamers inferior to yourself. I think we grasp the idea that this is more of a move of the publishers than developers. I have no doubt in my mind the publisher benefits far more from these online passes then the developer does. Obviously the developer does get some money from it, but I would be in shock if the publisher didn't take a bigger cut. I understand that the used game market hurts developers and publishers, but I just can't recall a time when developers have complained about it. I can only recall when publishers have. Of course that could be my mistake and I just missed when the developers did.Agent_Kaliaver

You're talking apples and oranges here. A gamer wanting dedicated servers because they're proven to be better than P2P connections in FPS games isn't the same as someone complaining about having to pay the full-price for a game.

Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
I personally don't have any problems with this model. I already buy all my games new and I have no desire to sell them afterwards. Then again I rarely buy games at full price these days, so doing it once in a while won't hurt my wallet.
yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#15 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts

My CD key would have been tied to my EA account anyways. That's how PC games have worked for decades more or less.

Wasdie
exactly. why would i want to give my entire ea account away? it contains so many bf2/2142 crap anyways, i'd never give that up.
KyBoOtEr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 KyBoOtEr
Member since 2006 • 314 Posts

My problem with this is that if my younger brother tries to play a game that I purchased new he wont be able to without the online pass. This is on top of the cost of xbox live.

AR-15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 AR-15
Member since 2003 • 261 Posts

Do car companies cry like a baby when people sell their cars and trucks after owning them for a while?

Do television companies cry like a baby when people sell their TV's after owning them for a while?

Do movie studios cry like a baby when people sell movies after they have owned them for a while?

The answer is no, they do not, because they realize how idiotic it is to suggest that they should continue to get money every time their products get bought and sold throughout the years. Sadly, game developers and publishers think they are "special", and they continue pushing this nonsense.

The video game industry rakes in an obscene amount of money every year, so they can just drop the poverty act and start accepting the fact that people should be able to purchase a used game without facing a penalty.

Their entire argument is just ridiculous and lame.

Avatar image for jacobhazard1704
jacobhazard1704

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jacobhazard1704
Member since 2004 • 215 Posts

I don't know if I sounded ambiguous, but I am 100% FOR this! See SS below =0

Buy the game new like the rest of us, or wait a few years for the price to drop.

airshocker

For the last time, developers and publishers make NO MONEY from second-hand/used games. If all they're asking is $10 so you could play online, then you should do the right thing. You putting down the money for the used copy is your call and totally on you. They don't get any of that money. It's extremely simple to understand but I see that many people still dont get it and live in their little bubble.Elann2008

theafiguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#19 theafiguy
Member since 2006 • 962 Posts

[QUOTE="Ikuto_Tsukiyomi"]Its a good move for DICE/EA but console gamers can't seem to grasp there brains around the fact that Developers dont like second hand sales and think they're entitled to buying the game cheaper at the expense of the developer.Agent_Kaliaver

Like how PC gamers can't grasp the fact that they are not entitled to dedicated servers or other features like LAN capabilities? The used game market has been around for so long we have become accustomed to it just like PC gamers have with many of the features they have been slowly losing lately. I would call it childish to believe console gamers inferior to yourself. I think we grasp the idea that this is more of a move of the publishers than developers. I have no doubt in my mind the publisher benefits far more from these online passes then the developer does. Obviously the developer does get some money from it, but I would be in shock if the publisher didn't take a bigger cut. I understand that the used game market hurts developers and publishers, but I just can't recall a time when developers have complained about it. I can only recall when publishers have. Of course that could be my mistake and I just missed when the developers did.

There's a major difference there.

What PC gamers have become accustomed to is what has kept games alive for so long. Tell me that CSS would still be here if it weren't for the modders, the dedicated servers, the actual mods themselves, that's what kept CSS a viable product for Valve for the past 7 years. The same can be said for several other older games like BF2, Call of Duty 4, Planetside, so on and so forth. These are things that keep making them money, and pulling these features makes the game less attractive, which decreases sales, which decreases income. So, in essence, the end effect of them being lazy is the same as someone buying a game used.

Now, I'm not personally against buying used games because I know that as time goes on the IP isn't worth as much, but comparing the two of them (features vs used game purchases) is a little unfair of a comparison.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#20 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

Do car companies cry like a baby when people sell their cars and trucks after owning them for a while?

Do television companies cry like a baby when people sell their TV's after owning them for a while?

Do movie studios cry like a baby when people sell movies after they have owned them for a while?

The answer is no, they do not, because they realize how idiotic it is to suggest that they should continue to get money every time their products get bought and sold throughout the years. Sadly, game developers and publishers think they are "special", and they continue pushing this nonsense.

The video game industry rakes in an obscene amount of money every year, so they can just drop the poverty act and start accepting the fact that people should be able to purchase a used game without facing a penalty.

AR-15

It's slightly different because most of the games that incorporate these rules have an online component that costs them money. Why should somebody who gave no money to the developer get access to these things that cost them money?

Hekynn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Hekynn
Member since 2003 • 2164 Posts
I think its a good idea to fight off hackers and used copy sales.
AR-15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 AR-15

It's slightly different because most of the games that incorporate these rules have an online component that costs them money. Why should somebody who gave no money to the developer get access to these things that cost them money?

cain006

I'm sorry, but it's very hard to accept that devs and publishers are struggling due to online costs when they are taking in MASSIVE amounts of money from the sales of their games. They made their money when they sold the game at full price, and crying poverty while lighting their cigars with hundred dollar bills is laughable at best.

The issue is one of greed, plain and simple. They see a huge used game market and they want a piece of it. Why settle for billions, when you can make trillions...

theafiguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 theafiguy
Red Faction Armageddon lost THQ $34 million last quarter. Sounds pretty bad to me.
AR-15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 AR-15

Yeah, hopefully they will learn from that.

Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts

Used game sales are a bigger problem than piracy to publishers (EA), so this is understandable. However, this probably applies mostly to console gamers. PC gamers have to buy the game new, there's no other option.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Ah, Battlefield 2 anyone? The conception of paying for a key then validating it has been around for an extremely long time - and is more common than it ever has been at the moment.
Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
deactivated-5920bf77daa85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#28 deactivated-5920bf77daa85
Member since 2004 • 3270 Posts

Game Publisher's Business Model (a.k.a "Free Money"):

- release unfinished games

- offer no demo

- offer no refund, and prevent any resale

Despite the principle of it, I don't think it makes much of a difference to gamers unless they are new.

Whether I buy a "new game" for 20 bucks or a used game, I'm still not paying full price.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

AR-15

cars wear out. the owner either drives it until its ready for the junkyard or sells to someone who cant afford to buy a new car. same with tv. car and tv manufacturesrs lose no money here. lame and ridiculous analogy.

i remember a few years ago the fiml industry would play a sob story before the previews about the little guys of the film industry who are affected by piracy and used sales. painters, camera men and so forth

SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#30 SerOlmy
Member since 2003 • 2369 Posts

AR-15

Both of these arguments are invalid. The car example, because the car companies still make money off of after-market part sales and maintenance. The TV example... and well actually both examples because you aren't using the manufacturers services after you buy their product. The difference being when you buy a game second-hand and it has multiplayer or have some kind of network integration, you are using the Publisher/Dev's services without giving them a single cent.

So I really don't care to hear whining from console gamers on this one. Buy it new or pay the fee.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Red Faction Armageddon lost THQ $34 million last quarter. Sounds pretty bad to me.theafiguy
Care to elaborate on that? Just curious as to what this story is about. I bought Red Faction Arma. and it's such an awesome game. I'm having a blast. I thought it was going to be terrible but it's very fun.
lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

Ah, Battlefield 2 anyone? The conception of paying for a key then validating it has been around for an extremely long time - and is more common than it ever has been at the moment. skrat_01

true,but the idea is just now starting to transfer over to the console world.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

[QUOTE="skrat_01"]Ah, Battlefield 2 anyone? The conception of paying for a key then validating it has been around for an extremely long time - and is more common than it ever has been at the moment. lawlessx

true,but the idea is just now starting to transfer over to the console world.

Indeed, honestly they're just going to have to accommodate it - the rise of dd and publishers battle against pre owned sales will just accelerate it.
Avatar image for deactivated-597bb01c846a2
deactivated-597bb01c846a2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -3

#34 deactivated-597bb01c846a2
Member since 2011 • 1495 Posts

People who go to GameStop to buy a used copy of a game that just came out, only to save $10, kind of piss me off. I totally understand why EA and other publishers are doing this. However, at the same time, a lot of publishers are trying to push their "permanent Internet connection required/online activation" crap on us. By supporting one, you support the other.

Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
deactivated-5920bf77daa85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#35 deactivated-5920bf77daa85
Member since 2004 • 3270 Posts

The difference being when you buy a game second-hand and it has multiplayer or have some kind of network integration, you are using the Publisher/Dev's services without giving them a single cent.SerOlmy

Someone already paid for that game. One person bought it, and one person is using it. There is no difference as the publisher is supposed to be offering those services to the original owner. If it hurts their profits because they banked on people getting sick of the game they paid for (in a relatively small amount of time) then that is completely their problem.

theafiguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 theafiguy

[QUOTE="theafiguy"]Red Faction Armageddon lost THQ $34 million last quarter. Sounds pretty bad to me.Elann2008
Care to elaborate on that? Just curious as to what this story is about. I bought Red Faction Arma. and it's such an awesome game. I'm having a blast. I thought it was going to be terrible but it's very fun.

Well they made an announcement that they were putting RF on the back burner because of how much RF:A lost.

bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts
This online pass stuff doesnt even concern the PC. Second hand PC sales have been almost dead for a decade. Games always get tied to you in some way with a non reusable CD key. Like Steam for example or EA's online account system.
Cobretti1818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Cobretti1818
Member since 2005 • 511 Posts

I think it is fair for them to charge $10 to play online. You are using their infrastructure, so you shold pay them something.

So much hate towards Devs/Publishers about this, and no one mentions all the retailsers who are making millions out of it at the expense of the people who actually make the games.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

[QUOTE="AR-15"]

SerOlmy

Both of these arguments are invalid. The car example, because the car companies still make money off of after-market part sales and maintenance. The TV example... and well actually both examples because you aren't using the manufacturers services after you buy their product. The difference being when you buy a game second-hand and it has multiplayer or have some kind of network integration, you are using the Publisher/Dev's services without giving them a single cent.

So I really don't care to hear whining from console gamers on this one. Buy it new or pay the fee.

thats not the main reason why a car or tv comparison is no good. a car or tv is only going to last for a certain period of time before its not worth to continue repairing. whether its 1 or 2 owners that use the car or tv to that point is irrelavent. 1 person buying a new car every4 years vs 2 people buying a new car every 8 years is the same to the dealership and car manufacturers

slabber44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 slabber44
Member since 2004 • 985 Posts
It is what it is! End of discussion. Move on!
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Its a day 1 buy for me anyway so I don't really care. And the MP will be fantastic so you SHOULD pay for it. The online pass never bothered me for Dead Space 2 either (even though I bought it new) cos the MP in that game sucked a hairy one

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#42 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
Online pass for BF3 is for consoles only and BF3 will be locked to an EA/Origin account just like BF2 and 2142 were locked to a Gamespy/EA account.
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
[QUOTE="Ikuto_Tsukiyomi"]

Bruin1986
I wish more people echoed this sentiment. People have become accustomed to purchasing games second hand, as with many other media products, and it unfortunately hurts the publishers and developers. These products MUST make money or else future games/movies/songs etc won't exist...

What makes them above the second-hand market for every other product in existence? Oh wait, nothing. :lol: