Better RPG for a mid range RPG player?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

User Lists: 0

#1 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

Which would be the better game to play for someone who hasn't played a lot of classic RPG games but more recent ones like Dragon Age 1, the two Witcher games, Skyrim and so on.

Pillars of Eternity or Divinity?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@biggest_loser said:

Which would be the better game to play for someone who hasn't played a lot of classic RPG games but more recent ones like Dragon Age 1, the two Witcher games, Skyrim and so on.

Pillars of Eternity or Divinity?

Depends if you prefer turn-based combat (Divinity) or real time combat with pause (Pillars).

Both are great in their own right.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

I like Divinity better. It doesn't take itself so seriously, which bothers some people, and I like turn-based RPGs more than real-time /w pause games. With that said, Pillars is probably more similar to the games you have played (or at least one of them). PoE really isn't, combat wise at least, all that different from Dragon Age Origins.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#4 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

They are both great games, I would give Pillars a slight edge do to the wonderful writing of the story, characters and dialogue. Divinity has fun combat and a nice coop feature but I found Pillars slightly better. Enjoyed the hell out of both though... also depends on what sort of combat you prefer, Divinity is turnbased and Pillars is sort of a mix. You can pause it at anytime during combat or you can setup pause options so it pauses when you want. As far as difficulty it is hard to say, I think Pillars might be slightly better for newer rpg fans though, Divinity can be a tad confusing to new players I have seen said many times. Two great old school style rpgs though!

If you liked Dragon Age combat Pillars might be more your style, if you prefer turn based combat you will like that more. Myself I like both styles of combat (Turnbased and Real Time) evenly. Most my friends enjoyed both but there are a few people I know that just couldn't get into Divinity because they don't like turnbased combat and them feeling lost at times of what to do. Myself though I beat em both and liked em both a ton, I do know that not everyone has the same things they like in rpgs. Maybe look at some gameplay videos of both? Atleast at the combat of the two?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59087 Posts

Divinity has less reading, for a new person, it is better, they will probably not have the patience.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 SaintSatan
Member since 2003 • 1986 Posts

@biggest_loser: I'd say niether. Get South Park: The Stick of Truth if you want a mid range RPG that is highly entertaining from start to finish with never a full moment.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 uninspiredcup

@saintsatan said:

@biggest_loser: I'd say niether. Get South Park: The Stick of Truth if you want a mid range RPG that is highly entertaining from start to finish with never a full moment.

I've had that shit on my harddrive going on a year and never clicked it once. Probably a good idea.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

I am going to +1 South Park if you haven't played it. The game is so damn funny from start to finish.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@saintsatan said:

I've had that shit on my harddrive going on a year and never clicked it once. Probably a good idea.

Oh man play it haha, it is a very funny game. Obsidian did a wonderful job

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SaintSatan

@uninspiredcup said:
@saintsatan said:

No matter your expectations it will blow them away. Stick of Truth is far better than you think it is.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

@saintsatan said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@saintsatan said:

No matter your expectations it will blow them away. Stick of Truth is far better than you think it is.

Stick of Truth is a fine game but, c'mon, it's not even in the same league as PoE, or DOS.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SaintSatan

@-wildflower- said:
@saintsatan said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@saintsatan said:

Stick of Truth is a fine game but, c'mon, it's not even in the same league as PoE, or DOS.

You're comparing very different games. They're all equally as good imo. Stick of Truth was more unique and unforgettable.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 uninspiredcup

If all RPG's were as in depth as POE they could get pretty monotonous.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Started POE and so far I was liking it. And then GTA 5 came out for PC and I forgot all about it. Gonna go back to it soon.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 uninspiredcup

POE is a game that requires investment - which can be tiring even if you enjoy it. The dungeon alone is larger than most games.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By Coseniath
Member since 2004 • 3183 Posts
@biggest_loser said:

more recent ones like Dragon Age 1, the two Witcher games, Skyrim and so on.

May I dare to recommend Mass Effect 1,2,3?

And maybe Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas?

Samslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#17 Samslayer
Member since 2005 • 1852 Posts

@Coseniath: I would second the Fallout games, they are tremendous and for the most part user friendly!

voljin1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 voljin1987
Member since 2012 • 1135 Posts

I would suggest Knights of the Old republic 1 and 2. You do not need to really go into the nitty-gritty of DnD mechanics to play and in the Easy mode its quite fun to learn the fundamentals. Moreover teh combat is quasi-turn based (turn based disguised as real time) and you do not have to worry about movement points like other turn based games.