Best ways to increase performance without spending a lot

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GabrielVan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 GabrielVan
Member since 2003 • 495 Posts

Hey, would love some feedback from some more experienced PC users/builders..

I'm trying to get my rig to perform better, because I feel my performance is lower than it should be for the system that I have..

Here's my specs..

Monitor: HP vs17e 17" flat

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3800+ X2

GPU: 8800 GTS 320mb SC

RAM: 2 gigs of PC3200 (I'm running 2x 512mb and a 1 gig stick, would it help a lot to remove the 2x 512mb and match my 1 gig?)

HD: 300gig 7200 RPM

3DMark06 present score: 6987

Any ideas? I always run my games on a gaming profile that hasall the windows goodies shut off, I regularly defragment and run disk cleanup. My performance in games isn't bad, don't get me wrong, but I've just got this feeling that my rig should be doing a bit better than it is. I've seen similar systems get 3DMark06 scores of over 8000. Any ideas would be MUCH appreciated! Thansk!

Avatar image for Indestructible2
Indestructible2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Indestructible2
Member since 2007 • 5935 Posts
Get a X2 5600+ or at least a X2 5200+
ZBoater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ZBoater
Member since 2003 • 1855 Posts
Match that memory to get dual channel support going...
GabrielVan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GabrielVan
I'd love to get a new processor, but the problem is.. I'm running a 3800+ X2 939 socket, which means I'd have to buy a new motherboard, a new CPU, and new ram which is quite a bit of money for a young married guy :)
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Can't think of anything other just keeping it clean of spyware, defragging and shutting down services like you say. If your CPU and GPU aren't Overclocked i would go with that, keep the case clean and cool and maybe consider a Western Digital Raptor 10,000 RPM drive :? Update your drivers also. And please get a new monitor!!
RayvinAzn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 RayvinAzn
Member since 2004 • 12552 Posts
Disk cleanup including registry files and such? Or just that gimped Windows utility? A proper cleaning with CCleaner might do wonders, especially the "Check For Issues" scan. Some driver updates would probably help as well, if you don't have them. Last but not least, a spot of overclocking should help as well, as a lot of people with the X2 3800 are overclocking.
imrlybord7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 imrlybord7
Member since 2005 • 5009 Posts
Match the 1 gig to run dual channel, overclock your proc and video card, and enjoy.
Avatar image for deactivated-6031a5a640140
deactivated-6031a5a640140

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 deactivated-6031a5a640140
Member since 2002 • 726 Posts

I would vote for matching that single stick of ram to get dual channel going, other than that I don't see a lot of options for speeding it up other than maybe some software tweaks, geittng rid of un-needed services, start up programs and the like.
WhOOmpa260

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 WhOOmpa260
Member since 2005 • 600 Posts

Can't think of anything other just keeping it clean of spyware, defragging and shutting down services like you say. If your CPU and GPU aren't Overclocked i would go with that, keep the case clean and cool and maybe consider a Western Digital Raptor 10,000 RPM drive :? Update your drivers also. And please get a new monitor!!X360PS3AMD05

Adding a raptor to that rig would have to be one of the worst things you can do, its expensive and wont provide much of a performance boost. If you don't want a big upgrade, get another 1gb stick of RAM and run the RAM in dual channel mode (sooner rather than later, becausein the near future PC3200 is only going to get more expensive). Your big bottlenecks in that system is the RAM and CPU so if you want to get better performance out of the gpu, you should seriously consider overclocking.

GabrielVan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GabrielVan
What's an ideal temp for my 3800+ if I overclock? I usually run 120-130 F during load. Also, what do you mean match my 1gig to run dual channel? If I have 2 gigs of standard, I can run it in dual? And also, any general tips for OCing?
pridetwo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 pridetwo
Member since 2006 • 1226 Posts

What's an ideal temp for my 3800+ if I overclock? I usually run 120-130 F during load. Also, what do you mean match my 1gig to run dual channel? If I have 2 gigs of standard, I can run it in dual? And also, any general tips for OCing?GabrielVan

overclock your processor straight to 2.4ghz on stock volts. thats what ive been running for 2 years and im rock stable at 40C idle. btw all computer temps are discussed in celsius usually so please try to use celsius because I can't think right when you go talking in fahrenheit for computers.

I would definitely swap out those 2 sticks of 512 for a full gig. your mobo will thank you. you can also overclock your ram then if the mood strikes you. some good timings for ram are 4-4-4-12 if the mood so strikes you.

as for your gfx. i would crank the core to 600 and the memory to 1100 on stock volts. i generally don't like overvolting but I might just go for it on my rig thats coming in from newegg soon.

remember: overclocking is the cheapest method for improving performance. time and money are saved if you know what you're doing.

GabrielVan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GabrielVan
What's a good CPU temp for load?
GabrielVan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GabrielVan
Also, any ideas on keeping my case cooler overall? I have a 120mm fan sucking air in from the front, and a 120mm fan blowing air out the rear.
GabrielVan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GabrielVan
Well, I just played with my fan settings a little bit, and I was able to decrease my CPU temps by about 10 degrees on idle, so I OCed my CPU from 2.0 to 2.2 just to test. Ran 3DMark06 again and scored 7545, over 500 points higher! I also ordered another 1 gig ram stick to match my current so that I can remove my 2x 512mb and get proper timings.
IAM-CA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 IAM-CA
Member since 2007 • 364 Posts

[QUOTE="GabrielVan"]What's an ideal temp for my 3800+ if I overclock? I usually run 120-130 F during load. Also, what do you mean match my 1gig to run dual channel? If I have 2 gigs of standard, I can run it in dual? And also, any general tips for OCing?pridetwo

overclock your processor straight to 2.4ghz on stock volts. thats what ive been running for 2 years and im rock stable at 40C idle. btw all computer temps are discussed in celsius usually so please try to use celsius because I can't think right when you go talking in fahrenheit for computers.

I would definitely swap out those 2 sticks of 512 for a full gig. your mobo will thank you. you can also overclock your ram then if the mood strikes you. some good timings for ram are 4-4-4-12 if the mood so strikes you.

as for your gfx. i would crank the core to 600 and the memory to 1100 on stock volts. i generally don't like overvolting but I might just go for it on my rig thats coming in from newegg soon.

remember: overclocking is the cheapest method for improving performance. time and money are saved if you know what you're doing.

Overclocking the CPU will help. Running your RAM in dual channel mode will also help... If you get another 1GB stick, you can run a 1GB and a 512MB in each channel. Good timings for PC3200 are actually more like 2-2-2-5, but just match what you have now.

I wouldn't even bother overclocking the video on that system... A 8800GTS will not in any way be a bottleneck there.

IAM-CA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 IAM-CA
Member since 2007 • 364 Posts
Also depending on your CPU cooler (like if you are running stock cooler), you could spend $20 on an Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro to help keep it cool and stable while you overclock.
jed-at-war

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 jed-at-war
Member since 2005 • 1335 Posts
How much does OCing decrease the life of your CPU?
kruesader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 kruesader
Member since 2006 • 6443 Posts

it doesnt, its the cooling that will, as long as its running at a safe temperature, it will last as long as a safe one.

so basically, if you OC, increase cooling proportionately so it runs at the same temp as a stock one, then it will last the same as a stock one

jed-at-war

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jed-at-war
Member since 2005 • 1335 Posts

it doesnt, its the cooling that will, as long as its running at a safe temperature, it will last as long as a safe one.

so basically, if you OC, increase cooling proportionately so it runs at the same temp as a stock one, then it will last the same as a stock one

kruesader

I have a 5-7yr old CPU that is running at 74C. How is that possible?

I read an OCing article on tomshardware that said that only a certain amout of "stuff" can be processed by the CPU and that OCing would shorten its life by processing that "stuff" faster. Is this not true?

portujoel5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 portujoel5
Member since 2003 • 745 Posts
with 5200+ and a mobo AM2 for around $70 you can do that upgrade for $200... if this is affordable go for it
GabrielVan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GabrielVan
I believe in terms of CPU performance, many CPUs are set to a default even though they're quite capable of higher speeds. I've heard with the AMD X2 series, a lot of them are nearly identical processors that are just set to different speeds, so you could infact run a 3800+ at 5000+ speeds quite easily.
GabrielVan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GabrielVan
In terms of upgrading my CPU, Mobo, and RAM, I'll be waiting to do that. I'll wait until I can afford to get all high end stuff.