Best Total War game

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Drukter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Drukter
Member since 2006 • 1484 Posts
What is in your opinion the best Total War game in the series? I haven't played any of them and I want to know which one to get. :p
Mazoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Mazoch
Member since 2004 • 2473 Posts
The one I enjoyed the most was "Total War: Medeival". However today I think I'd suggest going with the latest one in the series (Medeival II). They are all good game if you like the genre so dig in and enjoy :)
Avatar image for Indestructible2
Indestructible2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Indestructible2
Member since 2007 • 5935 Posts
Once i got Medieval 2,i rarely ever played Rome again,but they're both great games.
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

Medieval 2.

I would recommend Rome for someone completely new to the franchise though. But if they just wantto buy one title, i'd get Medieval 2.

futs22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 futs22
Member since 2005 • 1452 Posts
Between Rome: Total War & Medieval 2: Total War.....well, it's hard to say. I personally prefer the units in Rome:TW but there are certain features in M2:TW that are also nice and are not present in Rome:TW. Get both if at all possible. Of course M2:TW has better graphics since it's newer but gameplay is essentially the same.
mfsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 mfsa
Member since 2007 • 3328 Posts

I'd say the original Medieval is by far the best, and would recommend that you get the Total War: Ages or Eras compilation, whatever it's called. It comes with every TW game and every expansion until Medieval II. Buy Medieval II as well.

They're all awesome, and all worth owning and playing. But I would definitely say Medieval is the best. But Medieval II is the best looking. If the Roman era appeals to you, you may enjoy Rome most. It has plenty of refinements and improvements, and looks awesome. I just can't stand the Roman setting.

But I highly recommend all of them.

Anofalye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#7 Anofalye
Member since 2006 • 702 Posts

For me,

Medieval Total War 1; including the Viking expansion not as much for what it bring, but for what it doesn't break. It adds a few twists and a new map which is less interesting then the original maps IMO, yet, it doesn't break the game in anyway.

Why is it better for me? On a GBT (Game Base Turn) strategic point of view, the game is CLEARER and less micro-management. Each state can work on 1building/improvement and on 1 unit at the time, and you have provinces divisions. The result is, that you follow a lot more easily on what is happening everywhere. I can load any old save, and I will be able to kick in and play. If I load an old save of Medieval 2, there is no way I would kick in fast, I would have to study the map and waste time, as it isn't clear and would need to figure out what is happening.

Again, simple (not stupid) is good. Maybe they could explore a mix of both, provincial divisions and hex by hex squares for a future sequel...or revert back to whole provinces simply...the mix could be that old provinces, they lose all complex divisions and are just handled with a provincial square...while conquest areas might be square by square until they have been pacified or something, at which point a unit anywhere in it is stationned as overall province rather then just an hex. Exceptionnally, for some invasions, they may revert back from provincials to hex, but it should be exceptionnal rather then the norm, once you simplified, you keep it simple unless it is critical.

Medieval Total War 1 is the game which puts them on the map, and no other game they release achieve a similar progression in "notoriety" for the compagny as this game did.

Newer titles, they always have better rules, if you take each rule seperatedly. But the overall game is heavy, complex, tedious. It is less a game, more a simulation...and even if challenges and deephness are welcome, complexity for the sake of complexity alone isn't what I want ina game.

Maybe they could explore provinces merging, either at key history dates, or when you conquer all the requested province. For example, maybe conquering Bordeaux, Provence and Marseilles could create Languedoc (or whatever the correct name for southern France), and merge the province. By merging it, all the other provinces nearby merge as well and the map expand. So you still have about 50 provinces on the maps, but instead of just been western Europe, it is all Europe now...and/or maybe new building/units could be produce, units/building you really want bad...and you keep each and every building from each of the 3 old states, any duplicate could give some form of bonus either in raw $, in revenues or whatever. So France, instead of been 8-12 provinces, is now 3-4. Eventually you may even go further and merge them all to get France...and maybe even later get the EU if we play modern. Upon merging you would have to consider what happen if more then 1 faction is on many provinces, you could have a simple clashtillvictory setting, or have special rules if you deem them worthy, at any rate, it give you a direct goal...if you play with province merging, it has to be SIMPLE...so maybe you have 2 type of borders, normal and highlight...where the highlight show clearly which provinces are connected with each other for later...unless you want to allow the merging options to the player, so when he has 3 provinces he can merge them, but such an option would require quite some work from the devs so I would recommend and prefer the simple highlight, yet, if you want something superior, it is there, but just finding the names for all possible combinations is a lot...the rules, and what to do if 2 small provinces are lock away and unable to merge because of players choices and so on...highlighting pre-define merging would be my preferrence and by far, as it is clear, simple, and the devs could put work on other aspects...they could always explore leaving more options to the players in ulterior sequels as to how provinces are merged.

Taysir_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 Taysir_Z
Member since 2007 • 297 Posts
I think Medieval 2
Guiltfeeder566

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Guiltfeeder566
Member since 2005 • 10068 Posts
I would say Rome. M2:TW was just the same game with better graphics and animations. But thats why I'm looking forward to Empire so much, it will be a fresh game.
ninjadxt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 ninjadxt
Member since 2007 • 227 Posts

¨medieval 2 is great as well as romeotal war

Poshkidney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 Poshkidney
Member since 2006 • 3803 Posts
All of them none of them are dissapointing to me.
Tharros89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Tharros89
Member since 2007 • 118 Posts
I have both Rome and Medieval 2, and I would have to say I am playing Rome more at the moment. This is mainly due to the host of mods for Rome - like "Europa Barbarorum", that add alot more immersion, historical accuracy and gameplay options to the game. It will be a while before mods of that caliber are released for Medieval 2, but there is one soon to be released called "Broken Crescent" which looks interesting. If your computer is the less powerful kind (like mine) then I'd go with Rome + mods, if you like the graphics and the medieval era go with Medieval 2.
Rikstah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Rikstah
Member since 2005 • 540 Posts
I think the factions are far more varied and interesting in Rome TW. I found the recruitment system simpler in Rome TW, all in all i thought Rome was a fresher and better game. But that being said, M2 looks gorgeous.
flyingsnail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 flyingsnail
Member since 2009 • 793 Posts
I enjoyed empire and rome but I think Medieval 2 was much better
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
I think the factions are far more varied and interesting in Rome TW. I found the recruitment system simpler in Rome TW, all in all i thought Rome was a fresher and better game. But that being said, M2 looks gorgeous.Rikstah
Seriously? no really, seriously? how on earth did you find this ancient thread?
flyingsnail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 flyingsnail
Member since 2009 • 793 Posts
lol, I dint spot the date on the original post. nice catch DanielDunst
aura_enchanted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17 aura_enchanted
Member since 2006 • 7942 Posts

mainly because i dont own the tohers and am biased like that:

shogun: total war.

thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
Why resurrect 2 years old thread?
soliderPp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 soliderPp
Member since 2004 • 1991 Posts

My experience with Total War are: Shogun, Rome, Medieval 2, and Empire.

Of those I'd say I like/liked Rome the best. It was a major improvement over Shogun: Total War

and forever sealed itself as one of my favorite games of all time.

That being said I play ME2 way more than Rome as it's essencally the same game just all around improved.

True_Sounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#20 True_Sounds
Member since 2009 • 2915 Posts

[QUOTE="Rikstah"]I think the factions are far more varied and interesting in Rome TW. I found the recruitment system simpler in Rome TW, all in all i thought Rome was a fresher and better game. But that being said, M2 looks gorgeous.DanielDust
Seriously? no really, seriously? how on earth did you find this ancient thread?

Search engines most likely. If it's a thread with an unresolved problem I see no reason in bumping it to post a fix, and don't know why members complain. This on the other hand...

Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 Snipes_2
Member since 2009 • 17126 Posts

I used to love Rome Total War. My lame laptop couldn't run Medieval 2 :P

Pixel Shader :(

JonSnow777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JonSnow777
Member since 2009 • 787 Posts
Empire
xwolfghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 xwolfghost
Member since 2005 • 6076 Posts
Shogun Total War! I miss those little guys that could take out entire armies, funny making an entire army of them. And the assassins that never fail. Seriously though, I think either Rome or Medieval 2. I never played enough of Medieval 2 so I can't be sure.
Brendissimo35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 1

#24 Brendissimo35
Member since 2005 • 1934 Posts

What's the point of reviving this thread? I'd chose Rome.

muuuc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 muuuc
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Rome is best by far, no contest
morrowindnic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 morrowindnic
Member since 2004 • 1541 Posts

Rome is best by far, no contestmuuuc

Thanks for bumping a two year old thread.

Tolinoli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Tolinoli
Member since 2005 • 173 Posts

Rome Total War was really great, but Medieval 2 had some really awesome mods.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#28 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49581 Posts
I can never choose between them. I love them all equally. :cry:
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Rome imho. The multiplayer in particular was amazingly robust and dense.
lettuceman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#30 lettuceman44
Member since 2005 • 7971 Posts
Third Age Total War :P
Skullsoldi3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Skullsoldi3r
Member since 2010 • 169 Posts
Rome Total War is my favorite, although I own Medieval 2: Total War I never got into it that much.
razormenacer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 razormenacer
Member since 2008 • 29 Posts

I guess I'm unlike everyone else, since I like Medieval 2 the most. Just somehow never got that much into Rome. Maybe some day... really looking forward to Shoqun 2!

Vfanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Vfanek
Member since 2006 • 7719 Posts

[QUOTE="muuuc"]Rome is best by far, no contestmorrowindnic

He could've made the exact same thread again, but then he would be told to use the search function. I personally preferred Rome, but that's probably because it was my first TW game. The unit variation was nice though, unlike Medieval where it felt like you had the Western units and the Eastern units and that's that. Historically it makes sense, but variety is nice. One reason I don't like Empire, y'know, line infantry everywhere.
therancors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 therancors
Member since 2005 • 709 Posts
Rome! But I love them all.
morrowindnic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 morrowindnic
Member since 2004 • 1541 Posts

[QUOTE="morrowindnic"]

[QUOTE="muuuc"]Rome is best by far, no contestVfanek

He could've made the exact same thread again, but then he would be told to use the search function. I personally preferred Rome, but that's probably because it was my first TW game. The unit variation was nice though, unlike Medieval where it felt like you had the Western units and the Eastern units and that's that. Historically it makes sense, but variety is nice. One reason I don't like Empire, y'know, line infantry everywhere.

And what use does bumping an old thread have over creating a new one?

You search for answers, not to bump 2 year old threads.

Vfanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Vfanek

[QUOTE="Vfanek"][QUOTE="morrowindnic"]

morrowindnic

And what use does bumping an old thread have over creating a new one?

You search for answers, not to bump 2 year old threads.

It looks like he's revived the thread, in other words it's just like if he re-opened the thread and it's up and going again. What have you contributed to the thread?
martinX3X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 martinX3X
Member since 2009 • 4488 Posts

Rome Total war is the best.

Medeival 2 is close, but cavalry units are way too unbalanced.

Vfanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Vfanek

martinX3X
I agree that they are stupidly unbalanced and gamebreaking. But keep in mind that it's Medieval Total War. Wars back then consisted of cannon (well, arrow) fodder and knights. The fodder was everythign except the nobles and they weren't there to cause any serious damage, that was the job of the cavalry. It was an era dominated by heavy cavalry.
martinX3X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 martinX3X
Member since 2009 • 4488 Posts
[QUOTE="martinX3X"]

Vfanek
I agree that they are stupidly unbalanced and gamebreaking. But keep in mind that it's Medieval Total War. Wars back then consisted of cannon (well, arrow) fodder and knights. The fodder was everythign except the nobles and they weren't there to cause any serious damage, that was the job of the cavalry. It was an era dominated by heavy cavalry.

hmm you do have a point. But they still could have turned it down just a notch. From the matches ive played online people were using All-Cavalry armies which were hard to beat.
KeithFerns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 KeithFerns
Member since 2005 • 796 Posts

Rome by far

In all the other total war games all the factions felt a little too similiar. In rome you have phalanx units, legion heavy infantry, chariots, elephants, heavy cavalry, horse archers etc

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

Rome by far

In all the other total war games all the factions felt a little too similiar. In rome you have phalanx units, legion heavy infantry, chariots, elephants, heavy cavalry, horse archers etc

KeithFerns

All you needed was to spam your entire army with 1 unit to win. What could beat 16 Praetorian Cohorts? 16 cataphracts, 16 forrester archers, 16 spartans, 16 elephants, etc.

Vfanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Vfanek

[QUOTE="KeithFerns"]

Rome by far

XaosII

All you needed was to spam your entire army with 1 unit to win. What could beat 16 Praetorian Cohorts? 16 cataphracts, 16 forrester archers, 16 spartans, 16 elephants, etc.

You'd need quite the economy to support that, adn you'll never manage that in any semi serious multiplayer game.
markcaniga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 markcaniga
Member since 2009 • 244 Posts

It all depends on your preference.

I love Rome and Medieval 2, I don't really like Empire and Napoleon though.

And I am very ecstatic for Shogun!!!!!

lordreaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 lordreaven
Member since 2005 • 7239 Posts

Rome, or Medival 2, its a tough choice, Rome had the Better visuals for teh Battlefeild (like seeing cities in the distance, mountains with snow, wonders in the background.

SazzyDCFC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SazzyDCFC
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
I've played Rome: Total War and the Barbarian Invasion Expansion Pack, Empire: Total War, and Napoleon: Total War. Out of those, I would 100% say Rome. Empire didn't work on my pc (it kept freezing), and Napoleon was a complete let down. However, what I've seen on Medieval 2 (which should arrive tomorrow (ebay)), I would say that Medieval 2: Total War is the best Total War game, without a doubt.
shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 shakmaster13
Member since 2007 • 7138 Posts

I would say Medieval 2: Kingdoms (with stainless steel 6.3) and Empire (with darthmod of course)

THGarrett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#47 THGarrett
Member since 2003 • 2574 Posts

For me it's Rome Total War just because of the hundreds of hours I've put into the vanilla game, and with mods compared to the other games.