Best RPG of generation?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

shahabzelda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 shahabzelda
Member since 2008 • 130 Posts

In this generation we have seen some great RPGs including Dragon Age: Origins, The Witcher 2, Risen, Mass Effect 1&2, Fable 2, fallout 3, Demon's Souls, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, and so on so far. Please make a list of your top 5 best RPG experiences in the current generation.

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

I'm very fond of Dragon Age: Origins. Bioware did a fantastic job bringing the Infinity engine style of RPG to modern standards. Both of the Witcher games are also fantastic.

CDudu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 CDudu
Member since 2007 • 694 Posts

Tough call.

Which it gets tougher when you add to that list Skyrim, Diablo III and Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

But from that list l 'll pick Dragon Age.

shahabzelda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 shahabzelda

I'm very fond of Dragon Age: Origins. Bioware did a fantastic job bringing the Infinity engine style of RPG to modern standards. Both of the Witcher games are also fantastic.

Phoenix534
Agreed about DA:O. perfect in all ways including storyline, RPG system, graphics and ... . My first choose will be DA:O without any doubt but I am very doubtful about choosing other ones. I can't tell for example Oblivion is better or Mass Effect because I enjoyed the hell of them both!
bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

I agree DAO for me also. But it still pales in comparison to the classics like Baldurs, Planescape, Fallout 1&2..

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

I agree DAO for me also. But it still pales in comparison to the classics like Baldurs, Planescape, Fallout 1&2..

bussinrounds

True, but it's the closest modern thing we have to them.

martinX3X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 martinX3X
Member since 2009 • 4488 Posts

This was NOT a good generation for RPG's since Japan has been really slacking off lately and Western RPGs are still not polished enough.

But I'd say Oblivion on PC with mods and bug fixes is the best rpg this gen. Dragon Age right behind it.

I haven't tried Demon's Souls yet but i hear great things about it.

Former_Slacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Former_Slacker
Member since 2009 • 2618 Posts

DA:O was great, as was ME1 and FO:NV. I've never played the witcher so I can't comment on it. Out of all of them I have to say I had the most fun with FO:NV though. Oblivion and FO3 had quantity (lots of stuff to do) but not quality (quite mediocre); I'm talking about vanilla of course. FO:NV had both quantity and quality.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bussinrounds

This was NOT a good generation for RPG's since Japan has been really slacking off lately and Western RPGs are still not polished enough.

But I'd say Oblivion on PC with mods and bug fixes is the best rpg this gen. Dragon Age right behind it.

I haven't tried Demon's Souls yet but i hear great things about it.

martinX3X

Demons Souls has very good action melee combat and decent character and weapon building, other than that i thought it was pretty lacking. The smallish world resembled an action game, not an epic rpg.

shahabzelda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 shahabzelda

DA:O was great, as was ME1 and FO:NV. I've never played the witcher so I can't comment on it. Out of all of them I have to say I had the most fun with FO:NV though. Oblivion and FO3 had quantity (lots of stuff to do) but not quality (quite mediocre); I'm talking about vanilla of course. FO:NV had both quantity and quality.

Former_Slacker
What do u mean by quantity?
xWoW_Rougex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 xWoW_Rougex
Member since 2009 • 2793 Posts

Hm I'd say Dragon Age Origins and Oblivion are my favorites this generation.

I really digged the combat of Dragon Age, I am sad there were no grand cities to explore. Great game though!
Oblivion was also great fun but I didn't enjoy the combat very much, I did like all the big towns to explore which is something I look for in every rpg.

The Witcher 2 has the most interesting story and you can barely wait for the next game to be released. I am picking up The Witcher 1 tomorrow though, I have high expections but Geralt looks ugly in TW1. The game felt too rushed further on and although many liked the decision making in this game I don't. I like my choices to be black, white and some shades of gray rather than the TW2 **** bloodblack, bloodwhite, bloodgrey. Instead of hurting your toe stumbling on a rock, you evade it and instead fall through a pitfall and impale yourself-st.yled decisions, bad for my conscience!

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
I liked Mass Effect 1 and 2 alot.. TW1 was ok, I honeslty thought there was alot of waste potential.. For instance the fact that you never see the beginning Witchers again even though they act int he beginning of the game that they will regroup soon enough.. Dragon Age Origins I have a love hate relationship with.. I liked alot of its content, but I can't stand the mechanics.. There are ridiculous flaws to the game, such as the game clearly cattering to mages with not only hav ethe most choices.. In both skills and party members, but just the flat out more powerful.. Than there is a sickening small amount of armor graphics, especially the rogue class in which it seems like your wearing the same design the entire game.. WoW for me is up there with enjoyment level and time spent.. For a MMORPG.. But I bet anything my favorite will be Diablo 3 when its released.. Heavy story ones to me usually disapoint with mechanics and choices.. And when it comes to that I might as well just play pnp D&D with my friends... As a pnp D&D player, I despise most group based rpgs in which I must control an entire group.. People often times connect these with pnp, but that is really never the case.. IN pnp inless your a DM, your going to be controlling and focusing on one character while conversing with the rest..
bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 bussinrounds

I used to play some p&p d&d way back in the 80's and to me the party based tactical rpgs are my favorite kinds. There is more strategy and thought involved in the combat, like a game of chess kind of.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#14 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
Dragon Age: Origins is one of my personal favourites! That and Witcher 1. :D
Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts
  1. Fallout: New Vegas
  2. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
  3. The Witcher
luis_07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 luis_07
Member since 2011 • 124 Posts

I haven't played many RPG's but Fallout 3 was good experience. I'm looking forward to Deus Ex: Human Revolution which has some RPG elements..

Grodus5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Grodus5
Member since 2006 • 7934 Posts

DA: Origins and the Mass Effect series are amazing, I'll go with them.

eggdog1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 eggdog1234
Member since 2007 • 831 Posts

Dragon Age and the Witcher top the list for me. I will go so far as to say that DA:O is a perfect RPG from the infinity engine perspective. It may not be as deep as BG and the like, but it really just feels like a gift from Bioware. That is to say that DA is a blast from the past but looks and feels new. I have my doubts that we will see an RPG like DA (or BG, Icewind, etc) ever again as the industry has changed.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

NWN2: MotB without a doubt. Everything else pales in comparison.

I've also enjoyed both Witcher games, Fallout: New Vegas, and Risen. DA:O, despite its many flaws, was okay too. Yes, it was nowhere near BG or BG2 quality (spiritual successor? Yeah, right.) but it was still pretty fun for a single play-through.

Other than those, I haven't really cared for many other modern RPGs. These past few years have not been kind to the genre.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

NWN2: MotB without a doubt. Everything else pales in comparison.

I've also enjoyed both Witcher games, Fallout: New Vegas, and Risen. DA:O, despite its many flaws, was okay too. Yes, it was nowhere near BG or BG2 quality (spiritual successor? Yeah, right.) but it was still pretty fun for a single play-through.

Other than those, I haven't really cared for many other modern RPGs. These past few years have not been kind to the genre.

-wildflower-

I have to say one thing about MoTB is I never understood epic level campaigns... At level 20 and beyond your more or less a demigod.. But campaigns like MoTB you suddenly MAGICALLY get wisked away into a land where it seems like every oen and their moms are super powerful now.

slabber44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 slabber44
Member since 2004 • 985 Posts
Though graphically challenged, Mount and Blade was one I enjoyed. Have DAO, but haven't played it yet. I know don't ask why. Just trying to finish other games before diving in. Also enjoyed Risen and in the midst of trying to finish Divinity II which I like, but can't say was one of the best this generation.
Gibsonsg527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Gibsonsg527
Member since 2010 • 3313 Posts

IMO

1. Mass Effect

2. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

3. The Witcher 2

matrixian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 matrixian
Member since 2003 • 624 Posts

it was nowhere near BG or BG2 quality (spiritual successor? Yeah, right.) -wildflower-

I second that.

My list:
- Fallout New Vegas
- NWN2
- The Witcher
- Drakensang
- Risen

I haven't played The Witcher 2 yet.

gaurav24988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 gaurav24988
Member since 2010 • 28 Posts
Mass Effect 1 & 2
jettpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25 jettpack
Member since 2009 • 3192 Posts

Witcher 2

naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts
My favorite would be NWN 2 : MotB . Found in excelling in every area except few minor ones and length Others would be * Fallout NV * Witcher 1/2 * ME 2 * DAO * Risen * KoTC * Divintiy 2 * Drakensang : RoT