Best Router To Get!!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jakeonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jakeonator
Member since 2009 • 131 Posts

Hi guys i was wondering if you could help me find myself a good router for less than £50.

My household has 2 laptops wireless, 2 xboxes wired and 1 pc wired (along with various phones) This is all being connected to a belkin54g, which is very terrible especially when i connect two xboxes at the same time(Just cuts out and need to restart router)

My idea was to get aLinksys WRT54GL, i heard this was very good at keeping lots of connections at once, and very versitile when it comes to software, as it runs linux that allows many 3rd party software. ( I need this to make servers and stuff)

I am aware its at least 7 years old and was hoping you guys could guide me on whether this is a good choice.

Thanks

heliuminside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 heliuminside
Member since 2012 • 97 Posts
I have a Linksys here at my home, it works just great. It is made by Cisco, go for it. That particular model looks fine, but I'd recommend keeping an eye on the E-series because they are newer.
Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

I doubt you'll get a decent one for under £50, I can really recommend the billion bipac 7800n. It's awesome. Also, two words....netgear suck

heliuminside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 heliuminside
Member since 2012 • 97 Posts

I doubt you'll get a decent one for under £50, I can really recommend the billion bipac 7800n. It's awesome. Also, two words....netgear suck

acanofcoke
You can get a refurbished one they are quite cheap ~ $60.
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts

Hi guys i was wondering if you could help me find myself a good router for less than £50.

My household has 2 laptops wireless, 2 xboxes wired and 1 pc wired (along with various phones) This is all being connected to a belkin54g, which is very terrible especially when i connect two xboxes at the same time(Just cuts out and need to restart router)

My idea was to get aLinksys WRT54GL, i heard this was very good at keeping lots of connections at once, and very versitile when it comes to software, as it runs linux that allows many 3rd party software. ( I need this to make servers and stuff)

I am aware its at least 7 years old and was hoping you guys could guide me on whether this is a good choice.

Thanks

jakeonator
the Asus RT-N16 is pretty much everything the WRT54GL was except better (when it comes to running TomatoUSB at least - not sure how its DD-WRT is on it). gigabit ports, wireless-n, more RAM and CPU horsepower than you'd know what to do with.
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

You can also build a router out of an old computer, all you need is the old computer a few nics (wired + 1 wireless) and untangled.

Slow_Show

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Slow_Show
Member since 2011 • 2018 Posts

I've had issues with every brand I've tried except Linksys, so I'd say just go with whatever E-series fits your needs next time you see them on sale.

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts

You can also build a router out of an old computer, all you need is the old computer a few nics (wired + 1 wireless) and untangled.

GummiRaccoon
i can second that untangled is pretty simple and fun to play with! maybe not as power-efficient, but america eff yeah
yachtboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 yachtboy
Member since 2003 • 1612 Posts
I used linksys forever and I would give it a 4 out of 5. I also used an smc for 3 years until two months ago when I plugged it in and it burned up. The smc was amazing, I had to reset it maybe once or twice a year at most, great speeds, easy setup, etc 5 out of 5. I replaced the smc with a netgear and so far it has been hit and miss, it has dropped the connection one or twice already, but has been a little faster than the linksys or smc. Overall I would say that when this netgear burns up (whenever that is) I am getting another smc and prob not have to replace it for another 3 or 4 years at least.
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

Makari

i can second that untangled is pretty simple and fun to play with! maybe not as power-efficient, but america eff yeah

I've seen it running on atom mini itx based machines, those are pretty low power. I was thinking about doing that myself.

jakeonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jakeonator
Member since 2009 • 131 Posts

Thank you very much guys for the replies, turns out the Lynksys E1200 can be found for about £50-£60 online, also its a N Router Which i believe are more powerful than a G Router like the WRT54GL.