Best PC controller for a good price?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Meta-Gnostic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Meta-Gnostic
Member since 2007 • 977 Posts
What PC controller do you recommend for the best price? I'm looking for something with a good D-pad, analogs, and buttons, rumble would be good too. I was going to get the 360 controller but the D-pad on it sucks so that is not an option. Also, where would I go to buy the controller for the best price?
greedom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 greedom
Member since 2005 • 347 Posts
That's a good question, I'll also be watching this topic. You can run a 360 controller off your computer? I would use that!
Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
lol, just use your mouse....
Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

That's a good question, I'll also be watching this topic. You can run a 360 controller off your computer? I would use that!greedom

360 controller is made to run with Pcs! I use one right now :D, just gotta get the software from MS

greedom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 greedom
Member since 2005 • 347 Posts
No kidding? Hey I'll have to invest in that. Is wireless an option or do I have to buy a corded one because I already have a few wireless ones lying around.
SuperQ-2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 SuperQ-2
Member since 2008 • 51 Posts

Your limited in options, 360 controller is actually about the best for the pc if you can get all the crap to run on it, but if your wanting another controller you could get an adapter for a ps2 controller, the rip off ps2 remakes they make for the pc SUCK, so use an actual ps2 controller if you want that. you'll need an adapter 2 by the way.

Or you could use a wii mote.

Or a joystick.

After that im not sure.

And the wii mote (num-chuck too) im not sure how people get it to run on there comps. i've seen it though, you'll have to look into that if thats what you'd like.

DGFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DGFreak
Member since 2003 • 2234 Posts
You can use the wireless 360 controller on your pc by purchasing the separate $20 usb wireless dongle for it. Otherwise you can just use the wired controller. It's probably the best controller for the money.
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23832 Posts
Walmart has Philips Pc controllers and they are better than the 360 controller in my opinion. They they different versions wired and wireless ranging from $15 and $35
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23832 Posts
They can let you adjust the rumble force and other things and you can also emulate mouse control too with these controllers.
GodMin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GodMin
Member since 2007 • 178 Posts

i use a chillstream love it

Meta-Gnostic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Meta-Gnostic
I really do not want a 360 controller despite the money I would save because the D-pad is just too horrible for 2d gaming. My next thought was Logitech. And wow does that Chillstream look nice and for only $30. How is the D-pad, analog, buttons, and rumble on that? Where can I buy it not online?
musclesforcier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 musclesforcier
Member since 2004 • 2894 Posts
http://compactiongames.about.com/od/hardware/tp/gamepads.htm
Sundodger04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Sundodger04
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

I use a wired 360 controller.

BTW, there's a program called Pinnacle Game Profiler that lets you download profiles for most games that automatically maps the buttons to your controller.

Works really well with my 360 controller, probably works well with others too.

www.pinnaclegameprofiler.com

ikwal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ikwal
Member since 2004 • 1600 Posts
I would suggest the 360 even though you don't like the D-pad, why do you need the D-pad anyway? You can also use the PS3 controller if you want to, just plug it in with a usb cable (one with mini usb in one end and normal usb in the other). I don't like any other controller I've tried, they all feel so cheap.
OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 OoSuperMarioO
Member since 2005 • 6539 Posts
What PC controller do you recommend for the best price? I'm looking for something with a good D-pad, analogs, and buttons, rumble would be good too. I was going to get the 360 controller but the D-pad on it sucks so that is not an option. Also, where would I go to buy the controller for the best price?Meta-Gnostic
You have... the greatest sig.
G-Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 G-Lord
Member since 2004 • 2141 Posts
I'm happy with my Logitech Rumblepad 2
Avatar image for deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711
deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#17 deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711
Member since 2004 • 13995 Posts

the d-pad on the 360 controller doesn't bother me too much. i've used it for dpad-intensive games such as a few fighters, but for the most part it works great. there's a couple of tutorials on how to mod your d-pad, so if you're willing to bring out a few tools, then it's an option. so really, the 360 controller is probably the best way to go for now.

TheBigBadGRIM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TheBigBadGRIM
Member since 2005 • 1159 Posts
I've had my Logitech Rumblepad 2 for over 3 years already and I still recommend it more than any other controller.
Meta-Gnostic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Meta-Gnostic

I would suggest the 360 even though you don't like the D-pad, why do you need the D-pad anyway? You can also use the PS3 controller if you want to, just plug it in with a usb cable (one with mini usb in one end and normal usb in the other). I don't like any other controller I've tried, they all feel so cheap.ikwal

Edit. My post did not show up... 360's D-pad is absolute garbage, don't want it. I need a D-pad for 2d gaming. So the PS3 controller works for PC just by plugging it into a PC? Maybe I'll get a Logitech, not sure which one though. The Chillstream didn't get as high ratings as some other Logitech's on that site, but maybe they were not ranked in order.

anolecrabcf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 anolecrabcf
Member since 2005 • 658 Posts

i use a chillstream love it

GodMin

Yeah I love it too

Haviyak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Haviyak
Member since 2008 • 36 Posts
My brother uses a Saitek Controler, Which he uses for older aditional games he downloaded like Majora's mask and Conker. I'd recomend not using a controller for any real PC games. Keyboard / Mouse wins all.
ainouta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22 ainouta
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
You wouldn't said that if you are playing Tales of destiny 2. Using keyboard for tales of destiny 2 is rather hard for me.
Cryptecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Cryptecks
Member since 2004 • 610 Posts

I use one of these from my original Xbox, wired to USB like so:

http://www.fury-tech.com/en/Guides/Xbox-Controller-PC-Conversion-Mod

And using the most up-to-date XBCD drivers, and with a little tweaking, it's the perfect cheap controller with familar-feeling buttons and whatnot. If anyone goes this route, the driver has trouble with EA Sports games for PC, but I think I may be one of few people to get fully around the problem (right analog stick not working for tricks and the like), so message me and I can help you out. I recommend this for anyone with any old Xbox controller (wireless ones may work too, that's be awesomely cheap for wireless if you already have it and don't use it), and a spare end wire for USB (everyone should have at least one of these somewhere).

Avatar image for AuthenticKaizen
AuthenticKaizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 AuthenticKaizen
Member since 2008 • 284 Posts

I've had my Logitech Rumblepad 2 for over 3 years already and I still recommend it more than any other controller.  TheBigBadGRIM

i own myself a rumblepad 2 too. great controller!

the black which is shown above is available for 30$ and the normal version (with cable) which i own is available for 20$.

Jamiemydearx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Jamiemydearx3
Member since 2008 • 4062 Posts
Xbox 360's wired controller.
xjjbakxjojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 xjjbakxjojo
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Would the 360 controller work for pc games as well as 360 on pc gaming?
DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

I use this the hori turbo pad ex2 The best control i've ever used just feels perfect in my hands.

http://site.unbeatablesale.com/img087/pehrix345.gif

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#28 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Buy the new Xbox 360 controller with improved D-Pad and Analog sticks.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#29 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

I use this the hori turbo pad ex2 The best control i've ever used just feels perfect in my hands.

http://site.unbeatablesale.com/img087/pehrix345.gif

DJ_Headshot

For some reason, at first glance I thought of Modern Warfare 2 :P I don't even play the game though...

mkaliaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mkaliaz
Member since 2004 • 1979 Posts

You will get the 360 controller and you will like it.

paladinqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 paladinqueen
Member since 2010 • 509 Posts

Walmart has Philips Pc controllers and they are better than the 360 controller in my opinion. They they different versions wired and wireless ranging from $15 and $3504dcarraher
:oops: ,oh, it is not expensive..

sammysalsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 sammysalsa
Member since 2004 • 1832 Posts

Xbox 360 controller is pretty much the best, also heaps of games have default support for it so you dont need to set it up.

ventnor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ventnor
Member since 2010 • 1061 Posts

I've had my Logitech Rumblepad 2 for over 3 years already and I still recommend it more than any other controller.  TheBigBadGRIM

I used to have one of those, it broke after some years due to leaking batteries. However I wouldn't recommend it, if you look at the borders of the stick things(Name?) They are square shaped, that gets awfully annoying when moving around.

TTwizardYer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#34 TTwizardYer
Member since 2004 • 78 Posts

Unfortunately for you I wouldn't buy anything else than xbox 360 controller because newest games only support microsoft product. You can play Blur, Split Second and lot of other games only on xbox pad. There's a solution to emulate xbox controller but it's complicated and never 100% compatible. Despite medium quality of dpad I would still buy xbox pad because analog sticks are great(very accurate) and you won't have any problems to play new games.

hamelkarl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 hamelkarl
Member since 2009 • 207 Posts

I have an xbox 360 controller and it's pretty good for most games. It's pretty much plug and play for most games without the need to tweaks anything. The d-pad still ain't great and the triggers can be a **** to set up for some function in some games. I won't recommend it if you want to play mostly specific d-pad games. I still haven't found a good d-pad on any controllers. PS pad ain't that bad, but I found them to hurt a lot's when playing for lot's of hours.

IU_Stizzal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 IU_Stizzal
Member since 2010 • 382 Posts

I've been needing a controller as well. I was thinking about getting a 360 controller but I like the looks of this one. I'll check it out.

covertgamer78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#37 covertgamer78
Member since 2005 • 1032 Posts

I use several controllers. I use Logitech PS2 Cordless w/ USB adapter/receiver for SF IV and ePSXe & PCSX2 for example. The most essential controller is the Xbox 360 controller, wired or wireless. If you get wireless, make sure you get the receiver with the controller or else you could buy a Chinese receiver that doesn't really work with it.. I recommend the wireless as I love having no cord. Games For Windows games that support controllers support the Xbox 360 controller 100% as a requirement, so you should get that one. I also use Saitek P2900 for retro games as it feels awesome in my hand. Occasionally use the Xbox Logitech Cordless controller , 1st gen w/ USB adapter/receiver, but not as much anymore.

coughlanio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#38 coughlanio
Member since 2005 • 4306 Posts
They're releasing a new XBOX 360 controller with a better dpad.
covertgamer78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#39 covertgamer78
Member since 2005 • 1032 Posts
D-pad is good on the original IMO. Works fine for me in SF IV but I prefer my Logitech PS2 Cordless controller or my Saitek P2900 for d-pad games because the controller layout is better for d-pad IMO.
MGS-GrayFox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#40 MGS-GrayFox
Member since 2008 • 319 Posts

I say your better off waiting for the Razer Onza. Buying mine day 1!
Razer Onza Tournament Edition

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#41 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10591 Posts
Zombie thread won't di-! Oh wait, a "legitimate" rez. People should read threads more carefully. Anyway,
Would the 360 controller work for pc games as well as 360 on pc gaming?xjjbakxjojo
Depends on the game. Generally, third-person action games and console ports supported the 360 controller automatically, as the expectation is that many PC gamers will use a pad to play them. Games such as Street Fighter IV, Batman: Arkham Asylum and the Assassin's Creed games are like this. For FPSs, they vary, but generally tend to be poor. Halo 2 and Crysis comes to mind as games that have decent support, but i haven't tried many. I think the main thing is that there very little expectation that PC gamers will use controllers to play FPSs - most will use KB&M. You can just forget about it for strategy games.
madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#42 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10591 Posts
[QUOTE="MGS-GrayFox"] I say your better off waiting for the Razer Onza. Buying mine day 1

Very sexy. And even though it's a console peripheral, the FAQ confirms it works for PC too. The only thing is that I've become a bit spoilt by my wireless 360 pad. It feels freer and lighter without the chord. No more getting my feet tangled in the chord. Keeps my desk tidy too.