Best Diablo clone that meets the following conditions?:

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 SpaceMoose
Member since 2004 • 10789 Posts

What is the best Diablo-like game that:

1. You can play ONLINE on a CLOSED server, such that character files cannot be tampered with.

2. Is a full retail (or free) product that is currently available. (This excludes Mythos, which unfortunately looks like it may be in trouble in the short term, and is in a beta stage anyway, which I do so happen to have access to.)

3. Can still be purchased.

4. Isn't Dungeon Runners.:P

5. Isn't Diablo or Diablo 2 itself, before someone tries to be cute and give that as a response.

6. Preferably does not have any subscription fees.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

Guild Wars

Hardly a clone, but certainly influenced by Diablo 2

Avatar image for metal_head_5566
metal_head_5566

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 metal_head_5566
Member since 2008 • 293 Posts

i used to be a hudge diablo2 fan before and i never found an other game that is simmilar to it and as good.... but for some reason when i bought age of conan (a new mmo) it made me think of diablo for some reason and i love the game

but i guss you and i gota wait for diablo 3 :S

SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SpaceMoose

Guild WarsAFBrat77

I have that and that game does not play like Diablo. It certainly has elements of it, but Diablo 2 is about leveling and getting better gear and most differently being able to fight things without help, AI controlled or otherwise. Maybe that seems to contradict wanting to play online, but I just mean that the game sty!e is quite different.

RT_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 RT_Jackson
Member since 2003 • 3830 Posts

1. You can play ONLINE on a CLOSED server, such that character files cannot be tampered with.

2. Is a full retail (or free) product that is currently available. (This excludes Mythos, which unfortunately looks like it may be in trouble in the short term, and is in a beta stage anyway, which I do so happen to have access to.)

5. Isn't Diablo or Diablo 2 itself, before someone tries to be cute and give that as a response.

SpaceMoose

Closest thing you're going to get is Sacred Gold

Biggest problem is closed server requirement. In general, the companies who make diablo clones are relatively poor financially - a reason why they piggyback onto a proven style of easy-to-make gameplay. Companies with poor funding do not have the ability or willingness to support a closed server like battle.net. Sacred is made by a small firm in some European country - they have a battle.net clone in Ascaron net, but it is nowhere near as fully-featured or stable. I'm also unsure as to how many people play sacred online, but last I heard it was not a substantial amount

Lilgunney612

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Lilgunney612
Member since 2005 • 1878 Posts
Titan quest?
AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

[QUOTE="AFBrat77"]Guild WarsSpaceMoose

I have that and that game does not play like Diablo. It certainly has elements of it, but Diablo 2 is about leveling and getting better gear and most differently being able to fight things without help, AI controlled or otherwise. Maybe that seems to contradict wanting to play online, but I just mean that the game sty!e is quite different.

Well yes, there is a major difference, as GW places emphasis on skill over equipment and Diablo is vice versa.

But much of the game was built on Diablo 2's framework. Arenanet took it a step further. For one they eliminated the constant clicking of enemies in D2, rather click once on enemy, then on skills u use. 2nd, they rationed the loot so the fastest player doesn't get the items, they are assigned. Also, the hero's in Guild wars were taken several steps further than the henchies in D2 in terms of customization.

Snagal123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Snagal123
Member since 2006 • 3524 Posts

Titan Quest?

I know it has online, i just never tried it.

GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts
Titan quest?Lilgunney612

Titan Quest?

Snagal123

Titan Quest's online is open. Meaning anyone can hack their characters and take them online, pretty much ruining the entire online experience.

Lilgunney612

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Lilgunney612
Member since 2005 • 1878 Posts
[QUOTE="Lilgunney612"]Titan quest?GodLovesDead

Titan Quest?

Snagal123

Titan Quest's online is open. Meaning anyone can hack their characters and take them online, pretty much ruining the entire online experience.

Not in online co-op...

xgamer40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 xgamer40
Member since 2006 • 3913 Posts
First thing that came to mind for me was Hellgate London, I love the game and if I remember correctly it was made by some people from the diablo team, that or it was influenced by diablo, I can't remember, but it certainly reminds me of diablo in a lot of aspects.
GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GodLovesDead
[QUOTE="GodLovesDead"][QUOTE="Lilgunney612"]Titan quest?Lilgunney612

Titan Quest?

Snagal123

Not in online co-op...

That's the only multiplayer it has.

SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SpaceMoose

Well yes, there is a major difference, as GW places emphasis on skill over equipment and Diablo is vice versa.

But much of the game was built on Diablo 2's framework. Arenanet took it a step further. For one they eliminated the constant clicking of enemies in D2, rather click once on enemy, then on skills u use. 2nd, they rationed the loot so the fastest player doesn't get the items, they are assigned. Also, the hero's in Guild wars were taken several steps further than the henchies in D2 in terms of customization.

AFBrat77

Yeah, here is how I paly Guild Wars sometimes:

Get a party of heroes and henchmen. Run up to enemies. Stand there and do nothing while party kills them. :P

Guild Wars was always built with PvP in mind first and foremost and that is why its PvE is, in my opinion, not all that it could have been. Yes, there is no grind in Guild Wars. Actually, that is kind of a problem though. You get to the end, maybe unlock all of the skills, and then there is nothing else to do. I totally don't care about amor that merely looks different. Not that much anyway. I appreciate what they were doing and I'm not knocking the game for what it is, which is a PvP focused MMORPG. I've certainly gotten quite a bit a play out of it. I really don't consider it to be a dungeon crawler though. It's more like in some weird middle ground beteween Diablo and a team-based FPS.

SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SpaceMoose

First thing that came to mind for me was Hellgate London, I love the game and if I remember correctly it was made by some people from the diablo team, that or it was influenced by diablo, I can't remember, but it certainly reminds me of diablo in a lot of aspects.xgamer40

I was looking forward to that game, but it was not well-received. Anyway, they are not allowing any more subscribers to Hellgate: London currently, because Flagship Studios is apparently in financial trouble and they just laid off most of their employees, which I only know from participating in the Mythos beta. The future of the company is rather unclear at the moment.

xgamer40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 xgamer40
Member since 2006 • 3913 Posts

[QUOTE="xgamer40"]First thing that came to mind for me was Hellgate London, I love the game and if I remember correctly it was made by some people from the diablo team, that or it was influenced by diablo, I can't remember, but it certainly reminds me of diablo in a lot of aspects.SpaceMoose

I was looking forward to that game, but it was not well-received. Anyway, they are not allowing any more subscribers to Hellgate: London currently, because Flagship Studios is apparently in financial trouble and they just laid off most of their employees, which I only know from participating in the Mythos beta. The future of the company is rather unclear at the moment.

I did not know this, thats weird, the game wasnt well recieved yes and I was really iffy on buying it, but then one of my friends got it and told me how fun it was, and I looked past all of it and bought the game and really dont see why its so badly talked about, its a damn nice game and is pretty much an over the shoulder diablo. But the not accepting any more suscribers thing might be a good reason not to buy it, I'm not sure.
Rotinaj32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Rotinaj32
Member since 2007 • 331 Posts

There are NO GAMES that fit that condition... well Diablo 3 will if you are patient. But irregardless, with those conditions you are out of luck.

TQ/IT... while it doesn't fulfill 'condition 1' , its by far the best diablo clone I have played. It easily surpasses D2 in many areas and has a lot of modern features RPGs in general have that makes many things very convenient. Compared to D2... well you can respec, easily trade items between characters, fantastically beautifal environments and some pretty cool bosses. The only major faults are... lack of replayability, poor support, and bad multiplayer. But for 20 bucks on steam... well I guarantee you will get your dungeon crawling fix with a imperfect but more modern D2.

The multiplayer is bad overall.. but it works well if you have a specific friend you want to play the game with. Otherwise don't bother with it and just play Single Player

therog2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 therog2
Member since 2003 • 465 Posts
Sacred.

The Gold version (With Pluss and the Expansion) has just become available on Steam.
IZoMBiEI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 IZoMBiEI
Member since 2002 • 6477 Posts
titan quest is really awesome, I used to LAN that all the time, I wouldnt play with people I didnt know though, its not a closed online like bnet, the gameplay itself is quite a bit better than d2 though.
flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts
Dungeon Siege 2....?
jedinat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jedinat
Member since 2003 • 3560 Posts
I don't understand everyone's high regard for Titan Quest. I can't even play it through once. I get bored--really, really bored. I tried playing it like a year ago, and then again a few months back. I had much more fun with Diablo 2. (would prabably still have more fun if I installed it again--but I think I've played Diablo 2 quite enough--I'll wait for 3) Titan Quest's atmosphere and art just seems really uninspired--the story is unimmersive and dull; the characters unremarkable.
GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GodLovesDead

I don't understand everyone's high regard for Titan Quest. I can't even play it through once. I get bored--really, really bored. I tried playing it like a year ago, and then again a few months back. I had much more fun with Diablo 2. (would prabably still have more fun if I installed it again--but I think I've played Diablo 2 quite enough--I'll wait for 3) Titan Quest's atmosphere and art just seems really uninspired--the story is unimmersive and dull; the characters unremarkable.jedinat

I agree completely. I thought it looked better than a 7.5 but once I gave it an indepth play-through it isn't great at all.

SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SpaceMoose

Sacred.

The Gold version (With Pluss and the Expansion) has just become available on Steam. therog2

Cool. I've heard good things about it, but for some reason I thought this game did not have a closed server. For $10 for the game with all expansions, it seems kind of hard to go wrong with this. Thanks for the heads-up about it being on Steam.

VinxVince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 VinxVince
Member since 2004 • 219 Posts

SpaceMoose

Titan Quest and Titan Quest Immortal Throne.

SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SpaceMoose

Titan Quest and Titan Quest Immortal Throne.

VinxVince

If I'm not mistaken, that game does not meet condition 1. I know it's a good game and all, but I want to be able to jump in a game online whenever with whomever and not have everyone running around with hacked characters.

chintimin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 chintimin
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

FYI, most of the games people have been listing DON'T meet those conditions. Sacred doesn't - Titan Quest doesn't - Dungeon Siege doesn't, one or two. Also, here's the biggest difference between a Diablo clone and an MMORPG: if running around doesn't quickly and easily lose aggro, it's an MMORPG. :P Like, that's just the basic difference. If you feel like it's dumb/reckless running between groups and quickly killing monsters before more converge, it's an MMORPG.

THAT is what Diablo is. Titan Quest actually manages that, too, for the record - but no closed servers. Sacred sucks, face it. Legend: Hand of God sucks, don't even mention it, please. Loki sucks. Just suck it up and play Diablo II.

I've just spent three weeks trying to find a good diablo clone. reading reviews, paying for games, pirating things, etc. no joy.

Erlkoenig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Erlkoenig
Member since 2006 • 715 Posts
I don't understand condition #1. Can you give an example of games that use closed servers? Or did you mean that all character data needs to be stored on the server and not the client?
dherki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 dherki
Member since 2006 • 33 Posts

Or did you mean that all character data needs to be stored on the server and not the client? Erlkoenig

Yes.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

[QUOTE="therog2"]Sacred.

The Gold version (With Pluss and the Expansion) has just become available on Steam. SpaceMoose

Cool. I've heard good things about it, but for some reason I thought this game did not have a closed server. For $10 for the game with all expansions, it seems kind of hard to go wrong with this. Thanks for the heads-up about it being on Steam.

If you get it maybe we can play :P, because I recently got it and I started from the beginning, not from where Underworld starts and I pretty much got to 90% before I encountered a bug and left it for good (when it was first released) and now I can't really start again because it is a BIG game and it takes a LOT of time, so if you want maybe we can play together :)
thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
Sacred