Best Antivirus for Gaming?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

grafficsak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 grafficsak
Member since 2009 • 304 Posts

What are you guys using as a gaming-friendly anti-virus? "Friendly" as in, doesnt annoy the hell out of you with pop adds minimizing your multiplayer game at the most inconvenient time.

Free or Paid, what are you ya'll using? I've tried Trend Micro, AVG Free, Adaware, Avast, Microsoft Essentials. I haven't gotten a serious virus infection in years, even on older rigs. Just curious what others are using.

ispaans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 ispaans
Member since 2009 • 221 Posts
free version of avast with silent/gamning mode option turened on, and it does not pop up while gaming :)
grafficsak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 grafficsak
Member since 2009 • 304 Posts

I actually just downloaded Avast again, surprised how much it improved since the last I used it several years ago. Thanks.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

MS security essentials never annoys me.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

kraken2109
this
MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

Malwarebytes paid version. The lifetime license is really cheap.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

Lemme see, Kaspersky and Bullguard (on the two Pcs I use myself)

red12355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 red12355
Member since 2007 • 1251 Posts
[QUOTE="kraken2109"]

evildead6789
this

Same here. MSE is nice and unintrusive.
FENTONNNN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FENTONNNN
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
nod 32 master race
Avatar image for General_GeForce
General_GeForce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 General_GeForce
Member since 2009 • 66 Posts

I use VIPRE

Avatar image for deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
Member since 2009 • 7779 Posts

I've always used Avira.

Never had a problem.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

Stay updated, don't download crap, ensure you turn off unneeded services and ports... Then after that all you need is a free version of AVG/Avast/MSE whichever you prefer, but MSE is very nice as it's practically invisible and fairly ok at detection.

fivex84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 fivex84
Member since 2006 • 1216 Posts

I use Norton. No complaints here.

PS1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PS1080
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

I've been using avira for almost 5 years now...there was a tick box for "don't show notifications or updates when in fullscreen mode" that was very useful. And plus, it's free.

kungfool69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 kungfool69
Member since 2006 • 2584 Posts

i switch mine off if i need the etra horsepower. but most of the time i dont worry about it. using the latest kaspersky IS.

mike4realz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mike4realz
Member since 2003 • 2577 Posts
MSE
RaseshX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 RaseshX
Member since 2008 • 404 Posts

I use NOD 32, and out of all the antivirus' iv'e used in the past, Iv'e concluded it's the best.

Daily Updates - Pretty much ontop of any new threat thats on the internet, incredibly powerful - the protection side of this is at the best.

Uses least system resources - Rather than being a huge system hog but being very weak/borderline useless (Norton, McAfee spring to mind) this is very light on the resources and manages to upkeep a powerful protection.

Gaming Mode - Automatically activates when you are gaming, basically stops any annoying pop ups etc whilst you're in the game.

Also without sounding rude, to everyone above mentioning pathetic excuses of antivirus' such as Norton need a spanking. I wouldn't let my mother use that for her weekly internet visit (usually just for e-mails). Nevermind as a gamer.

NOD32 is a paid antivirus though, so overall I'd go with MSE as the best due to the fact it's free, and decent.

AVG isn't too shabby as a free antivirus either, i'm reluctant to go with Avast as I had some bad experiances with it also it uses alot of system resources.

Though if money is a non-issue go with NOD32, trust me.

Neonice901

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 Neonice901
Member since 2011 • 95 Posts

I use Norton. No complaints here.

fivex84
Ditto, I personally think its the best. I've tried Bulldog and Avast, but have never had problems with Norton.
Grovilis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#19 Grovilis
Member since 2008 • 3728 Posts

Started using Kaspersky a few weeks ago. No real complaints so far.

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts

I use NOD 32, and out of all the antivirus' iv'e used in the past, Iv'e concluded it's the best.

Daily Updates - Pretty much ontop of any new threat thats on the internet, incredibly powerful - the protection side of this is at the best.

Uses least system resources - Rather than being a huge system hog but being very weak/borderline useless (Norton, McAfee spring to mind) this is very light on the resources and manages to upkeep a powerful protection.

Gaming Mode - Automatically activates when you are gaming, basically stops any annoying pop ups etc whilst you're in the game.

Also without sounding rude, to everyone above mentioning pathetic excuses of antivirus' such as Norton need a spanking. I wouldn't let my mother use that for her weekly internet visit (usually just for e-mails). Nevermind as a gamer.

NOD32 is a paid antivirus though, so overall I'd go with MSE as the best due to the fact it's free, and decent.

AVG isn't too shabby as a free antivirus either, i'm reluctant to go with Avast as I had some bad experiances with it also it uses alot of system resources.

RaseshX
Symantec's actually been pretty good for a few years, though I still don't use it myself due to residual suck. :) http://www.av-comparatives.org/en/comparativesreviews/dynamic-tests It pretty handily won on the overall detection rate, which it's been doing pretty consistently (top 3) since 2009 or so. http://www.av-comparatives.org/en/comparativesreviews/performance-tests And in here it's trading blows with... well, NOD32 for the best performance. :\ But yeah, I still can't bring myself to actually use it, either. I'm really not sure why, everything I've seen for the last 2-3 years indicates it's one of the best.
RaseshX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 RaseshX
Member since 2008 • 404 Posts

[QUOTE="RaseshX"]

Makari

Symantec's actually been pretty good for a few years, though I still don't use it myself due to residual suck. :) http://www.av-comparatives.org/en/comparativesreviews/dynamic-tests It pretty handily won on the overall detection rate, which it's been doing pretty consistently (top 3) since 2009 or so. http://www.av-comparatives.org/en/comparativesreviews/performance-tests And in here it's trading blows with... well, NOD32 for the best performance. :\ But yeah, I still can't bring myself to actually use it, either. I'm really not sure why, everything I've seen for the last 2-3 years indicates it's one of the best.

Interesting results! Pretty shocked to see Norton coming close to, let alone beating NOD32; would really have never guessed it especially for its infamous reputation amongst gamers! Guess I'm still traumatized from my Windows XP days!

Great find anyway, guess that has shut me up :).

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#23 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
[QUOTE="kraken2109"]

evildead6789
this

I second this. I was so sure of myself with Avira.. and I finally gave in and tried MSSE. It's the best anti-virus out there FOR ME. It doesn't even detect game files that you install as viruses like Avira does. It hasn't been intrusive at all. I say that honestly.
agpickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 agpickle
Member since 2006 • 3293 Posts

[QUOTE="evildead6789"][QUOTE="kraken2109"]

Elann2008

this

I second this. I was so sure of myself with Avira.. and I finally gave in and tried MSSE. It's the best anti-virus out there FOR ME. It doesn't even detect game files that you install as viruses like Avira does. It hasn't been intrusive at all. I say that honestly.

I can 3rd this. I've never had a pop up during a game or any sort of false positive.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

Ad-adware and MSE is nice, MSE does not stop like spyware though, ad-adware handles that nicely.

Like when I installed coretemp, it now comes with so much bloatware, MSE did nothing ,which is fine, but ad-adwarae stopped all that crap.

PresidentSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PresidentSwag
Member since 2011 • 28 Posts

without question kaspersky or eset

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
Interesting results! Pretty shocked to see Norton coming close to, let alone beating NOD32; would really have never guessed it especially for its infamous reputation amongst gamers! Guess I'm still traumatized from my Windows XP days! Great find anyway, guess that has shut me up :).RaseshX
I am definitely not trying to change your mind - as I said, I've been watching results like that for two years and STILL can't bring myself to try using it myself. :D It's just kind of... interesting to read, I guess?
DeX2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 DeX2010
Member since 2010 • 3989 Posts
[QUOTE="RaseshX"] Interesting results! Pretty shocked to see Norton coming close to, let alone beating NOD32; would really have never guessed it especially for its infamous reputation amongst gamers! Guess I'm still traumatized from my Windows XP days! Great find anyway, guess that has shut me up :).Makari
I am definitely not trying to change your mind - as I said, I've been watching results like that for two years and STILL can't bring myself to try using it myself. :D It's just kind of... interesting to read, I guess?

I'm never using Norton again...Thing gives me AIDS. It took forever to eradicate from my system, then a while ago Norton installed on my PC without my permission, I would uninstall it, It would reinstall itself - and no this wasn't a virus, I was a genuine version of Norton.
zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 zaku101
Member since 2005 • 4641 Posts

No viruse scanner is perfect each one is a miss or hit when it comes to viruses. I simply just use MSE, you can't even tell it's running on your computer which is nice.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#30 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

I actually just downloaded Avast again, surprised how much it improved since the last I used it several years ago. Thanks.

grafficsak
Same here. I was using AVG but moved to avast and is definitely a huge improvement over old Avast ( i use silent mode on )
Neonice901

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Neonice901
Member since 2011 • 95 Posts
I want to change my answer to AVG, as soon asa I finished palying that Day i got a rather strong virus that was pretty close to killing my computer :/ The tech support guy said to me" On principle I am not reinstalling Norton, I be aswell give you a virus" :L
BlackDevil99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 BlackDevil99
Member since 2003 • 2329 Posts

Since I built my computer I just use what comes with Windows 7, unless you're really trying or cleuless about the internet/computers, it's hard to get a virus at all.

and for the love of god never use Norton or McAffe, eevvvvvvveeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts
MSE
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#34 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11785 Posts

without question kaspersky or eset

PresidentSwag

These are the 2 I would recommend. That are pay anyway.

We use Nod 32, we are about to renew our licences, New Nod32 version 5 has a gaming mode built right in.

The best Anti-virus is yourself using your brain, but its never a bad Idea to have a little extra anti-virus support, as long as you go with a good one.