Battlefield 3 - There is still hope

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ventnor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ventnor
Member since 2010 • 1061 Posts

Sadly for those of you using XP or having dated graphics cards battlefield 3 will not support DX9, but read the article

http://www.neoseeker.com/news/14494-battlefield-3-leaving-dx-9-behind-frostbite-2-engine-good-news-for-pc-gamers/

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#2 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Thats amazing news! Maybe they are just going to do a port of the PC version to the consoles using the Frostbite engine or something while the PC version is really untouched.

mattuk69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mattuk69
Member since 2009 • 3050 Posts

So the PC is not going to use DX9 but the console are? I dont get it.

Avatar image for Ikuto_Tsukiyomi
Ikuto_Tsukiyomi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Ikuto_Tsukiyomi
Member since 2010 • 822 Posts

mattuk69

It means it wont be a Console to PC port. It'll possibly be a PC to Console port.

acsam12304

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 acsam12304
Member since 2005 • 3387 Posts

[QUOTE="mattuk69"]

Ikuto_Tsukiyomi

It means it wont be a Console to PC port. It'll possibly be a PC to Console port.

yeah like Battle Field 2. there was a totaly diffreint PC verson. and there was a totaly diffreint consoloe version

TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 TerrorRizzing
Member since 2010 • 4232 Posts

[QUOTE="mattuk69"]

Ikuto_Tsukiyomi

sigh not everything is a port to one platform or another. People act like they are developers just because theyve read a few internet blogs. There is such a thing as a multiplatform game!
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="Ikuto_Tsukiyomi"]

[QUOTE="mattuk69"]

TerrorRizzing

sigh not everything is a port to one platform or another. People act like they are developers just because theyve read a few internet blogs. There is such a thing as a multiplatform game!

Well actually what im thinking is it will be like BF2 and BF2 Modern Combat on the PS2 and Xbox. They built the PC version for many years and then released it, later they released a very different version on the consoles.

I'm starting to think that BF3 on the PC is going to be a proper sequel. Dice had been building it up for awhile. It not using DX9 is bold as well. They did that with BF2 though when they didn't support DX8.

From reading everything it sounds like they have several versions of the engine designed on each platform. The PC version of BC2 used the Frostbite engine which was a console engine ported to the PC, it had other limitations but the reason they stated smaller maps and lower players was bandwidth. However since they probably just wanted to get it on the PC they didn't bother making the PC all that much different gameplay wise.

For BF3 they are probably working on all three versions, not just the PC version to be ported, but they are probably building it specific to each platform. The PC version will get all the bells and whistles and the console versions will get what they can handle. Think of Dragon Age Origins. The PC version had different gameplay mechanics. I'm thinking something like that is going to happen.

TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TerrorRizzing
Member since 2010 • 4232 Posts

[QUOTE="TerrorRizzing"][QUOTE="Ikuto_Tsukiyomi"]

Wasdie

Well actually what im thinking is it will be like BF2 and BF2 Modern Combat on the PS2 and Xbox. They built the PC version for many years and then released it, later they released a very different version on the consoles.

I'm starting to think that BF3 on the PC is going to be a proper sequel. Dice had been building it up for awhile. It not using DX9 is bold as well. They did that with BF2 though when they didn't support DX8.

ya im glad actually, I find it funny people talk about dx9 when the ps3 doesnt even support any dx. The failure of windows vista is what kept dx9 going so long, that and the fact that microsoft never upgraded xp past dx9.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Wasdie  Moderator

ya im glad actually, I find it funny people talk about dx9 when the ps3 doesnt even support any dx. The failure of windows vista is what kept dx9 going so long, that and the fact that microsoft never upgraded xp past dx9.TerrorRizzing

DX9 proved to be amazing. Developers really took it to the next levels. Crysis is a DX9 game with some DX 10 features that are kind of useless and unoptimized. Crysis, the game that looks as good as Pixar movies, is DX9. DX9 is insanely flexible.

However DX11 allows different rendering techniques that take advantage of different hardware. A dedicated DX11 engine will run more smoothly on DX11 hardware and still look better than a DX9/DX10 game trying to run at the same graphical fidelity. DX11 seems to be the real next step.

We won't see leaps like DX7 to DX8 or DX 8 to DX9 again, but now stuff just starts to get more detailed and more focus on optimization of current rendering techniques that will make prettier graphics run better

martinX3X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 martinX3X
Member since 2009 • 4488 Posts

Awesome. I love the battlefield games for pc.

Tomemogus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Tomemogus
Member since 2010 • 245 Posts

Good stuff

xXDrPainXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 xXDrPainXx
Member since 2008 • 4001 Posts
Man I really hope they do it like the PS2/Xbox version with BF2 and give us PC gamers a true Battlefield sequel even though Bad Company 2 wasn't bad it still felt like a console-centric game with PC features thrown on later.
CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 CommanderShiro
Member since 2005 • 21746 Posts

If the PC version is the proper sequel, I'll stop being angry.

krazy-blazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 krazy-blazer
Member since 2009 • 1759 Posts
Hopefully the console port isn't crappy.
millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts
My god there is still hope, awesoem news :).
Nino_ze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Nino_ze
Member since 2008 • 368 Posts
those are good news, but I'm afraid that EA have a put something really big in their mouth which they'll hardly be able to chew, and not to tell to swallow. not support Dx9 and XP. 75% of all gamers today use this Windows, and that's something that EA has probably forgotten, but anyway I can't wait that the game comes out.
ventnor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ventnor

Hopefully the console port isn't crappy.krazy-blazer

There is no console port, it's going to be a PC port.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
Sounds too convenient, lately when something said by DICE sounds convenient, it's not true, but hopefully it'll be a true BF game.
gohan2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 gohan2710
Member since 2005 • 4315 Posts
I dont get it, they are going to make a console port, but they are dropping DX9 support? that makes no ****ing sense. I highly doubt they will make a DX10 native game, they`ll prob just add some DX10 effects and thats it. I know im being negative, but i still think BF3 will be nothing more than a console port.
JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 JP_Russell
Member since 2005 • 12893 Posts

The game needing DX10 doesn't necessarily say much. Just Cause 2 needed DX10, and while I enjoyed what I played of its demo on the PC, it most definitely was designed as a console game first and foremost in every conceivable way. And as quoted in the article, they've already come out and said doing the sort of thing they did with BF2: Modern Combat would not be financially feasible, so I don't expect this to be a similar situation to that at all.

While I have hope this will be a truer PC Battlefield experience than BC2 (which I agree with the article's assessment of, DICE did a good enough job making it feel like a PC game, but its game design still felt downsized for consoles), I have no doubt this will still be an attempt to make "the same game," functionally, across platforms, and cynically believe that simply cannot be done without some measure of downsizing to the PC version. Still, hopefully it will be kept to a minimum.

1kalli1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 1kalli1
Member since 2007 • 398 Posts
I hate the frostbite engine. This game will be ok at best.
MykoStation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MykoStation
Member since 2007 • 235 Posts

maybe the movement is smoother.

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#23 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

I'm very skeptical of anything Dice says now. They just seem to rush their games out now too, even moreso than before. I'm very sure BF3 will not be like BF2 was. It'll be a game developed for all 3 platforms. The fact they will include a beta with Medal of Honor just makes me even more dissapointed in Dice. These betas seem to be a trend these days, particularly with console games.

Rob_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Rob_101
Member since 2004 • 3291 Posts

[QUOTE="TerrorRizzing"][QUOTE="Ikuto_Tsukiyomi"]

Wasdie

From reading everything it sounds like they have several versions of the engine designed on each platform. The PC version of BC2 used the Frostbite engine which was a console engine ported to the PC, it had other limitations but the reason they stated smaller maps and lower players was bandwidth. However since they probably just wanted to get it on the PC they didn't bother making the PC all that much different gameplay wise.

For BF3 they are probably working on all three versions, not just the PC version to be ported, but they are probably building it specific to each platform. The PC version will get all the bells and whistles and the console versions will get what they can handle. Think of Dragon Age Origins. The PC version had different gameplay mechanics. I'm thinking something like that is going to happen.

This is the best possible situation I can hope for now. But my hopes aren't very high....

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58489 Posts

I really hope they tone down the unlocks; I thought BF2142 was just right in terms of diversity and cool stuff in that you had two branches for each class

I do not like this "Oh, the guns, look at all the pretty guns we can earn!" with 20 unlockable weapons, etc.

Adam_the_Nerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 Adam_the_Nerd
Member since 2006 • 4403 Posts
Here's hoping that there won't be as many graphical and anomalous glitches present like the ones we saw in Bad Company 2.
psn8214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 psn8214
Member since 2009 • 14930 Posts

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="TerrorRizzing"] sigh not everything is a port to one platform or another. People act like they are developers just because theyve read a few internet blogs. There is such a thing as a multiplatform game!Rob_101

This is the best possible situation I can hope for now. But my hopes aren't very high....

Me neither. I'll wait and see, but it certainly isn't looking good. :( It will be a shame if BF3 turns out like BC2 in an effort by DICE to provide a similar experience across all platforms.

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

I hate the frostbite engine. This game will be ok at best.1kalli1

What's wrong with frostbite?

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

I think the outrage against Battlefield 3 was unnecessary, especially considering that we have basically no info on the game.

argetlam00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 argetlam00
Member since 2006 • 6573 Posts

I love you DICE... *sniff sniff*

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts
those are good news, but I'm afraid that EA have a put something really big in their mouth which they'll hardly be able to chew, and not to tell to swallow. not support Dx9 and XP. 75% of all gamers today use this Windows, and that's something that EA has probably forgotten, but anyway I can't wait that the game comes out.Nino_ze
70% of pc gamers are using Windows 7 or Vista according to the latest steam survey. The majority of the 30% using xp dont have the hardware to run the game anyway.
ekultus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ekultus
Member since 2010 • 1013 Posts

whats the matter you guys already tired of bad company 2 ahahahahahaah, anyways they are dropping the ball hard by not making it DX9 compatible. Ask those Just Cause 2 devs how many PC units that game sold, fail.

mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#33 mhofever
Member since 2008 • 3960 Posts

I'm already satisfied with the graphics in Bad Company 2, so Battlefield 3 will look even more great!

ventnor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ventnor

[QUOTE="1kalli1"]I hate the frostbite engine. This game will be ok at best.Phoenix534

It's a console engine, the map and mod tools are oh so advanced that the people at DICE are having a hard time at using them (Yeah right) but anyways Battlefield 3 will run Frostbite 2 which is being developed as a PC engine (Around DX11 and 64 bit tech)

ExESGO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ExESGO
Member since 2010 • 1895 Posts

[QUOTE="Phoenix534"]

[QUOTE="1kalli1"]I hate the frostbite engine. This game will be ok at best.ventnor

It's a console engine, the map and mod tools are oh so advanced that the people at DICE are having a hard time at using them (Yeah right) but anyways Battlefield 3 will run Frostbite 2 which is being developed as a PC engine (Around DX11 and 64 bit tech)

Lucky me then.