Battlefield 3 Keeps Crashing

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kebab4tw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 kebab4tw
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
I can play for a random amount of time, usually 5 minutes, before the game suddenly freezes completely, causing the audio to be distorted and me having to manually turn off my computer. Sometimes when it crashes it will take me back to my desktop instantly, and I still see the Battlefield 3 icon on the taskbar, but it will not let me go back into the game, and I must then end it using task manager. This exact same thing was happening to me in the beta as well, and I figured the problem would be fixed when the full game was released, but evidently, it has not. I have updated drivers, tried older drivers, and even tried wiping all the drivers off my computer and reinstalling them. Since the beta, when I was having the same problem, I have changed my CPU, my GPU, my motherboard, and upgraded my RAM from 4GB to 8GB. I have already tried repairing the game and reinstalling, but nothing seems to fix the problem. I have two GIGABYTE GTX 560 Ti Overclocked (Factory Overclocked to 900Mhz) graphics cards. I have tried them both together using SLI, and each one individually. I can not find out what the problem is, and as you can imagine, it is very frustrating. Anyone know how I can fix this? Both the campaign and multiplayer have this issue. One of my graphics cards is the one I used during the beta, and I figured the reason it was crashing was because it was faulty, even though it doesn't crash on any other game. However, I recently bought another of the same card to SLI, and used it by itself, and it still crashes the same. Also, I haven't been able to see this yet on full release, but during the beta, when my computer allowed me back to the desktop, I caught glimpses of "nvidia driver blah blah blah has stopped responding". I know it's not a heat problem, as I constantly moniter the temperatures of my GPU and CPU with PC Wizard, and I just got a brand new case with excellent cooling. If you need any other information about my computer to help me, please ask. Thanks, and I hope somebody out there will be able to help me, as I am desperate to play this game.
GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Have you tested your RAM?

kebab4tw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 kebab4tw
What do you mean tested? Every other game I've played has worked fine so far, and I used to have 4GB when this problem was happening in the beta, now I have 8GB. Is there a specific test I need to do?
GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GTR12

Memtest86, run that.

Also what CPU do you have?

kebab4tw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 kebab4tw
The command "Memtest86" doesn't seem to be working. I have an Intel i5-2500 Quad-Core 3.60GHz EDIT* It's a program I have to download, riiight. I'll get right on that.
kebab4tw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 kebab4tw
I don't have a cd-rom or floppy disk available right now to use the Memtest86 program unfortunately. Is there anything else you think could be a problem?
tomrullmann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 tomrullmann
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Hey, My game is also freezing or just completely shutting down. I have the same 'symptoms' as you might call them as you. I'm really keen to play the game and its really frustrating. Anyone got any way to fix it? I also dont have a floppy or CD to run that program. I have 8GB of Ram and a Quad processor on my Dell XPS 17 laptop. Graphics aren't a problem has 3D capability and 1.5GB of graphics memory. Help???
ey_son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ey_son
Member since 2005 • 246 Posts

what's your specs

tomrullmann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 tomrullmann
That what you mean by specs? 2nd generation intel core i7-2630QM processor If not tell me where i can find what my specs are. I'm not much of a computer guy ;).
julianbebawi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 julianbebawi
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Hi i have the same probleme, i have an i7 2630qm, 8 gd of ram 1.5 gd for gtraphic card

julianbebawi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 julianbebawi
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

it can not be an hardware problem because when i play for the randdom period of time it does not lag at all and its really nice graphic but then it freeze completly and have to manually turn it off

tomrullmann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 tomrullmann
i dont have to turn off my computer cuz i can exit out using ctrl+alt+del but its still freezing which is super annoying. Are alot of other people experiencing these problems?
jfcundiff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jfcundiff
Member since 2007 • 6365 Posts
You are not alone TC. I am having the same problem with crashing. The only difference is I crash back to desktop all the time. I have tried every possible solution in the book and nothing has worked. If you go to the BF3 forums, and the Nvidia forums as well, many people are having the same issue. We might have to just wait for a patch for something to get fixed, but it sucks spending money on BF3 and not being able to play it for more than 5 minutes.
kebab4tw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 kebab4tw
I know... Was so excited for this game, now I have to wait longer to play... =| Hopefully a fix will be up soon. *EDIT* I managed to convince one of the EA support guys on live chat that it wasn't a "server problem" as they seemed so set on telling me, and apparently he's passing on the information I gave him to the people responsible for patching the game. I'm not sure how reliable he'll be though. xD He did say they were aware of the issue and were working on fixing it, or at least will start working on a fix for it... One day...
kebab4tw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 kebab4tw
To anyone still having this issue, I got an interesting post on another topic I posted on the Battlefield forums. http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/0/7666804.page#17807266 I haven't tried it yet, and I'm going to go about doing it tomorrow. I'm just throwing this out there for anyone interested.
GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GTR12

Tried running it in compatibility mode or setting affinity to fewer cores?

UR2EZ4BEn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 UR2EZ4BEn
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
hi i have the same problem but on my new alienware m17xr3 i can play for 5 mins smoothly then it crashes im also frustrated with the fallout nv infinite loading screen as i was looking forward to playing it
Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts
I realise this thread is from last October, but I've just started having this same problem. Was running perfectly until a few days ago. Grrr
yachtboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 yachtboy
Member since 2003 • 1612 Posts
I had that problem until I realized I had my page file set too low... make sure it is set to auto or at least 2gbs if you only have 4gigs of ram like me.
danjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 danjammer69
Member since 2004 • 4331 Posts

Same thing used to happen to me.

It came down to the massive overclock I had applied to my video cards.

BF3 is known to be very sensitive to GPU overclocks. I reduced mine by over 120Mhz allowing me to play with no lockups ever.

Even the Battlelog forums make the overclocking issue clear and known.

It sucks though as every other game I play does not have lock-ups with those overclocks.

So give that a try and let us know if it works for you.

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

Grr Im having a feeling bf3 has bad memory leak issues. Im running out of system memory after a long session to the point of crashing and is killing my 570 too with the settings bumped up.