Battlefield 1 Now Out on Origin Access

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SaintSatan
Member since 2003 • 1986 Posts

I've been playing the campaign for a while now. It is a far better than anything 3 or 4 had. It is much higher quality with much more time and effort put in to it. Greatness so far. If anyone wants to play add sa1nt_satan.

PS: Origin Access is $5 a month and you can cancel whenever. You can pay the $5 and get 10 hours of Battlefield 1 right now. Pretty sweet deal.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#2 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17805 Posts

I am enjoying Gears 4 right now. I am just going to hold out until the full release. I know I will just start playing BF1 like crazy if I dl it now. hehe :)

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

Does it run better than the beta? I couldn't get constant 60 fps with my FX-6300.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

So this Origin Access lets you play multiplayer games like 3 weeks before launch? That's a bit unfair.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SaintSatan

I just beat the first war story in the campaign. It was pretty awesome.

@PfizersaurusRex said:

Does it run better than the beta? I couldn't get constant 60 fps with my FX-6300.

It runs about the same. FX6300 isn't the correct information to give for game performance. What graphics card do you have?

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#6 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I was really disinterested in this game but the new Operations mode sounds like just what I wanted. Still a bit miffed at the lack of bolt action rifles and lack of WW 1-esque mechanics but I might end up getting this after all. My biggest fear is that everyone will just play conquest even if there are better modes available.

cmon people, conquest is shit. basically Call of Duty writ large

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FelipeInside

@with_teeth26 said:

I was really disinterested in this game but the new Operations mode sounds like just what I wanted. Still a bit miffed at the lack of bolt action rifles and lack of WW 1-esque mechanics but I might end up getting this after all. My biggest fear is that everyone will just play conquest even if there are better modes available.

I've always played Domination type maps (conquest in BF) because they provide a lot of movement from player. Something like Rush is also fun but people just camp a lot.

Don't know what Operations Mode is though.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By with_teeth26

@FelipeInside said:
@with_teeth26 said:

I've always played Domination type maps (conquest in BF) because they provide a lot of movement from player. Something like Rush is also fun but people just camp a lot.

Don't know what Operations Mode is though.

Operations is basically a mix between conquest and Rush, attackers try and capture a couple of flags in a zone while the defenders try and stop them, if the attackers succeed, then they unlock a new zone to attack with new flags. So, more freedom of movement than Rush but less anarchic than Conquest.

my issue with conquest/domination is that there is no established front line and a lack of organic teamwork, everyone just runs all over the place and you constantly get killed from behind and it can be hard to figure out where the action is. I liked how BF1942/2 did conquest where many maps had one team start with all the flags and another team start with way more tickets, this again established a front line. Rush I don't much like either since the action is too focused, the objectives turn into meat grinders. It worked well enough in Bad Company 2 but once they added suppression in BF3, it became way less fun. Operations should be a nice middle ground assuming the map design isn't really bad.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BassMan

@with_teeth26: I love Conquest because it is so dynamic. A good squad can be very effective at sneak attacking and draw attention from the other team and force them to fight on multiple fronts. There are many tactics in Conquest and no match plays out the same.

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

@saintsatan said:

@PfizersaurusRex said:

It runs about the same. FX6300 isn't the correct information to give for game performance. What graphics card do you have?

RX 470 4GB, 1080p res, FX-6300@4.0 and 2x4GB DDR3 1333Mhz CL9. I remember I tried different graphics settings but I would always get frame drops, so I guess it's my weak CPU to blame.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SaintSatan

@PfizersaurusRex said:
@saintsatan said:

@PfizersaurusRex said:

RX 470 4GB, 1080p res, FX-6300@4.0 and 2x4GB DDR3 1333Mhz CL9. I remember I tried different graphics settings but I would always get frame drops, so I guess it's my weak CPU to blame.

I don't know much about AMD but I compared it to mine and well, it's not pretty...

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-6850K-vs-AMD-FX-6300/3606vs1555

I'd say it's probably time for an upgrade.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Put a couple hours into the multiplayer. Amazing game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

Wait... is the multiplayer full version? It says it's a "trial version".

Nvm, i still went for it, since i don't have to purchase the game itself yet. Origin seems to limit download to 20MB/s... can't wait that long lol!

Edit: so can i keep playing it pre-launch even after 10h, if buy the game? Seems like i can't. Oh well, it releases next week anyway. Atleast i get 10% off now because of the Origin Access.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46251 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

So this Origin Access lets you play multiplayer games like 3 weeks before launch? That's a bit unfair.

Game is out next week.

@with_teeth26 said:

Operations looks cool, but I haven't played it.

yeah, i'd really like a gamemode where people had nothing but (no scoped) bolt action rifles. That would be cool.

But anyway, I think this game does a lot to bring another flavor to BF.

-Melee kills add new depth to the game
-Horses
-Juggernauts are also really cool. And remind me very much of BF1942 where you could take the wheel of an aircraft carrier.
-Mud, rain and fog having small to big impacts on the game.

All of that combined do make this feel more like grittier, real warfare. Compared to BF4 where I was just completely disconnected to the conflict at hand.

@KHAndAnime said:

+1

This game is amazing. I had so much fun playing with the Dreadnaught and on horseback.

I also really enjoyed playing on Fao Fortress and St. Quinten.

Still have to try out so much and I can not wait until full release next week.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 KHAndAnime

@R4gn4r0k said:
@KHAndAnime said:

+1

This game is amazing. I had so much fun playing with the Dreadnaught and on horseback.

All the maps are a blast. They blow my mind actually. Each level is huge, but also has some of the best mini-details I've ever seen in a game. The one city map, whatever it's called, actually feels like being in a city. Like, you can go inside most buildings and the detail in each one is simply on-point.

For some reason I kept thinking back to RO2 while playing this. I'm not sure why. Can't help but feel some inspiration there. But graphically, this game would be like, Red Orchestra 5. If I drank enough alcohol I could probably be convinced I'm looking into a window into another reality.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 R4gn4r0k

@KHAndAnime said:

All the maps are a blast. They blow my mind actually. Each level is huge, but also has some of the best mini-details I've ever seen in a game. The one city map, whatever it's called, actually feels like being in a city. Like, you can go inside most buildings and the detail in each one is simply on-point.

For some reason I kept thinking back to RO2 while playing this. I'm not sure why. Can't help but feel some inspiration there. But graphically, this game would be like, Red Orchestra 5. If I drank enough alcohol I could probably be convinced I'm looking into a window into another reality.

The map you are thinking of is Amiens, and yeah I had the same experience. At times you are fighting on the streets, at other times you are shooting from building to building.

Map design is on point and I hope the 4 remaining maps are on point too.

One thing that is lacking for me in this game is the ability for the Squad Leader to order all squad fire on a behemoth or tank, because it truly takes a lot of teamwork and focussed fire to take those down. Would be cool to have a squad mechanic around that :)

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 KHAndAnime

@R4gn4r0k said:

The map you are thinking of is Amiens, and yeah I had the same experience. At times you are fighting on the streets, at other times you are shooting from building to building.

Map design is on point and I hope the 4 remaining maps are on point too.

One thing that is lacking for me in this game is the ability for the Squad Leader to order all squad fire on a behemoth or tank, because it truly takes a lot of teamwork and focussed fire to take those down. Would be cool to have a squad mechanic around that :)

I agree, they should add that. I'm certain eventually it will make its way in - every BF game needs some fixing at launch.

One thing I'm a little confused on is upgrading the vehicles. Is that not in anymore? In the beta you could unlock different types of vehicles and stuff and I haven't found that in this yet.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 R4gn4r0k

@KHAndAnime: I think you're right: I also didn't see vehicle customization.

But it's definitely in there. I heard devs talk about how you could change the Mark IV tank to a 5 crew tank, from the normal 3 crew.

Maybe it's because of early access.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 R4gn4r0k

@KHAndAnime: Just checked and tank customization is definitely in there =)

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By with_teeth26

@KHAndAnime said:
@R4gn4r0k said:
@KHAndAnime said:

+1

this is encouraging, an urban map with lots of enterable buildings is something we haven't really seen much in a BF game. I guess the BF2 remake maps had a bit of that in 3/4. Should make for a nice mix of close-quarters fighting and hiding spots for shooting out of windows.

'operations' sounds really similar to RO2's main mode but I'm guessing you are just referring to conquest. I think a lot of games could learn from RO2, for all its jank, it is a very well designed game. I was hoping for something closer to RO2 with better production values but the beta didn't give off that vibe at all for me.

how does the netcode seem/general polish? hopefully a better launch than BF4

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

very excited. Not buying it for the campaign, but I am happy to hear it is better than previous games (though I admit I have enjoyed previous games).

Can't wait; preloading now, playing in three days I guess. I have a long weekend so that's perfect.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SaintSatan

@mrbojangles25 said:

very excited. Not buying it for the campaign, but I am happy to hear it is better than previous games (though I admit I have enjoyed previous games).

Can't wait; preloading now, playing in three days I guess. I have a long weekend so that's perfect.

No one buys it for the campaign but you will play it and love it. They put 10x more effort into the campaign than in previous games. No wonder Star Wars: Battlefront had no campaign, they put all of their effort into this.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 R4gn4r0k

@with_teeth26 said:

this is encouraging, an urban map with lots of enterable buildings is something we haven't really seen much in a BF game. I guess the BF2 remake maps had a bit of that in 3/4. Should make for a nice mix of close-quarters fighting and hiding spots for shooting out of windows.

'operations' sounds really similar to RO2's main mode but I'm guessing you are just referring to conquest. I think a lot of games could learn from RO2, for all its jank, it is a very well designed game. I was hoping for something closer to RO2 with better production values but the beta didn't give off that vibe at all for me.

how does the netcode seem/general polish? hopefully a better launch than BF4

I don't generally play on high ping servers, but netcode seems to be absolutely fine.

You shoot somebody, he gets hit and dies, as it should be.

Battlefield 4 had terrible netcode at first, but from what I played near the end of the game, or should I say when the last DLCs were released, netcode was definitely fixed.

Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts

if origin access is 5 USD and gives you 10% off the full game, and the game is 60 USD, is it really cheaper to subscribe for one month, buy the game for 54 USD, and you save a dollar in the process?

because if my calculations are correct, any game that costs 50 USD would incur no additional costs if you paid for origin access for a month.

am i missing something here? is it possible to subscribe for just one month, and cancel before you're charged for another month?

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By KHAndAnime

@Kh1ndjal said:

if origin access is 5 USD and gives you 10% off the full game, and the game is 60 USD, is it really cheaper to subscribe for one month, buy the game for 54 USD, and you save a dollar in the process?

because if my calculations are correct, any game that costs 50 USD would incur no additional costs if you paid for origin access for a month.

am i missing something here? is it possible to subscribe for just one month, and cancel before you're charged for another month?

You're not missing anything. That's basically what everyone's going to do.

BTW - they just unlocked the remaining maps. Unfortunately, I already used my 10 hours, guess I'll go kick rocks...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

@KHAndAnime said:
@Kh1ndjal said:

You're not missing anything. That's basically what everyone's going to do.

BTW - they just unlocked the remaining maps. Unfortunately, I already used my 10 hours, guess I'll go kick rocks...

Ooooh nice! I still have 5h left on my trial. I don't have enough time to exhaust that before the early access, but i'll go try them now. I wish i could gift you couple of hours lol

e: looks like they just shut down the servers. awwww man.... seems they are back online.

attirex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By attirex
Member since 2007 • 2449 Posts

Bump for release day. Anyone playing? Good? Bad? Meh? Bargain bin? Steam sale?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 FelipeInside

@attirex said:

Bump for release day. Anyone playing? Good? Bad? Meh? Bargain bin? Steam sale?

Played a bit last night (both SP and MP).

One of the best Battlefields on both fronts.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Looks like release day broke it :/

Servers offline. So much for BF weekend.

attirex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 attirex
Member since 2007 • 2449 Posts

haxxxxxxxxx

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By FelipeInside

@groowagon said:

Looks like release day broke it :/

Servers offline. So much for BF weekend.

Just played then and servers were fine for me. They probably took them down for a bit for emergency maintenance.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 BassMan

The servers were part of the DDOS attacks today. I don't think EA is to blame for this one. Anyway, I only played the Edwards/Tank missions in the campaign so far and the game is pretty good when it opens up and allows you to approach the objectives in your own way. I have not yet played the MP in the full version.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

@BassMan said:

The servers were part of the DDOS attacks today. I don't think EA is to blame for this one. Anyway, I only played the Edwards/Tank missions in the campaign so far and the game is pretty good when it opens up and allows you to approach the objectives in your own way. I have not yet played the MP in the full version.

Ah, ok. They are working again.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By BassMan

I just finished the campaign. This new approach with the War Stories is a fail IMO. They are all so short. Some pre-rendered cutscenes to try and get you to care about the characters, but there is no real interaction with NPCs during gameplay. So, you don't really get attached to the characters. The missions are thin on plot and the objectives are not very interesting. It is lacking good set-pieces and memorable moments. This is by far the worst campaign in the BF series. It just feels cheap and slapped together. Very little effort went into this campaign. More effort was put into the pre-rendered cutscenes than the game itself.

I much prefer Bad Company 2 and even BF3 & 4 had significantly better campaigns. I don't understand where the hype for the campaign came from. For those who have not played the campaign, best to go in with low expectations and I would argue that you can skip it all together as you are not going to miss much. The MP is where it is at... as always.

I give the BF1 Campaign a 5/10.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By FelipeInside

@BassMan said:

I just finished the campaign. This new approach with the War Stories is a fail IMO. They are all so short. Some pre-rendered cutscenes to try and get you to care about the characters, but there is no real interaction with NPCs during gameplay. So, you don't really get attached to the characters. The missions are thin on plot and the objectives are not very interesting. It is lacking good set-pieces and memorable moments. This is by far the worst campaign in the BF series. It just feels cheap and slapped together. Very little effort went into this campaign. More effort was put into the pre-rendered cutscenes than the game itself.

I much prefer Bad Company 2 and even BF3 & 4 had significantly better campaigns. I don't understand where the hype for the campaign came from. For those who have not played the campaign, best to go in with low expectations and I would argue that you can skip it all together as you are not going to miss much. The MP is where it is at... as always.

I give the BF1 Campaign a 5/10.

I played the first war story (the tank one) and I thought it was ok. Nothing espectactular but still better than BF3/4 since it was better structured and the cutscenes make the story a bit more interesting (also the facts about World War 1 really bring it home)

Bad Company is still the best Battlefield campaign.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 BassMan

@FelipeInside: I never played the original Bad Company as it was not available for PC and I don't do BF on consoles. I did enjoy the BC2 campaign a lot though, Is the first campaign better?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 FelipeInside

@BassMan said:

@FelipeInside: I never played the original Bad Company as it was not available for PC and I don't do BF on consoles. I did enjoy the BC2 campaign a lot though, Is the first campaign better?

Sorry, I meant to say Bad Company 2.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#38  Edited By skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

Hi. Is BF1 worth it just for single player?. Thanks.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 R4gn4r0k

@skipper847 said:

Nah, haven't finished it to be honest. But Battlefield 1 is definitely worth it for Operations mode alone :)

You want a WW1 experience, or something that comes close, play operations !

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By BassMan

@skipper847 said:

Definitely not. Read my post above (#34). The campaign is about as bad as Black Ops 3 and that was pretty bad.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By FelipeInside

@BassMan said:
@skipper847 said:

Definitely not. Read my post above (#34). The campaign is about as bad as Black Ops 3 and that was pretty bad.

Just adding my two cents.

@BassMan I don't know why you thought the campaign was so bad. I've done 3 of the 6 war stories so far and they have been pretty good. Nice set pieces and the whole real story that goes with it gives it a bit more weight. Definitely better than BF3/4.

Saying that, it's not worth paying full price just for the single player. Wait for a sale.

@skipper847 why don't you want to play MP? That's where BF really shines.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#42 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

@FelipeInside: I just don't like MP in general I play games to get away from people. Also I don't like 12, 13 year old brats saying I'm going to come and murder you because you beat them and when they beat you they can do nothing but gloat.

I ordered titanfall 2 as like my scifi better and both have good scores any way and both have SP. I will get BF1 on sale.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By FelipeInside

@skipper847 said:

@FelipeInside: I just don't like MP in general I play games to get away from people. Also I don't like 12, 13 year old brats saying I'm going to come and murder you because you beat them and when they beat you they can do nothing but gloat.

I ordered titanfall 2 as like my scifi better and both have good scores any way and both have SP. I will get BF1 on sale.

That's fair enough but to be honest I rarely read the chat so I don't get those young idiots saying stupid things, lol. Battlefield and COD, Titanfall though is very fun if you have friends that play it with you.