Baldur's Gate series - Still worth playing?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Jxy
Member since 2004 • 4378 Posts

Somehow, I completely missed out on the Baldur's Gate series.  I didn't play either one of them, but I did pick up the Baldur's Gate II Collection from Amazon yesterday (had a deal where it was like... $7.99.)  So are these games still worth playing today?  Have they aged well?

johnnyv2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#2 johnnyv2003
Member since 2003 • 13762 Posts
recommended that you start from original Baldurs Gate before playing BGII but definitely still worth playing, to me it easily has the greatest storyline in RPG history spanning over 4 epic games. Graphics are about the only downfall in the "aging" process, gameplay is top-notch and has a great action feel to it while still be strategic
Jxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Jxy
Member since 2004 • 4378 Posts
Yeah, I've heard that I really need to play the first game before the second game... I'm asking about how well the games have aged because the first game is kinda expensive and I don't want to drop the cash for that if the game isn't really anything special anymore. Just out of curiosity, how high does the resolution go in these games?
godofratz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 godofratz
Member since 2005 • 398 Posts

If you never played it before then its totally worth getting a copy. Sadly, no RPG has come close to the non-linear, story-driven gameplay that BG offers. But if graphics make or break the game for you, then don't bother. Honestly, I'm tired of fooling around with camera angles with NWN games and I wish things went back to fixed, top-down view.

Anyways, check out some screens or get the demo from somewhere and play that. That's the easiest way to know.

BloodMist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BloodMist
Member since 2002 • 32931 Posts
I didn't play the BG games until a couple years ago, and i found them to be just as epic, and excellent, as i had heard.If you're an RPG fan, it really doesn't get any better than the BG games.And yeah, you definitely wanna play BG 1 first if you can.As far as resolution, BG 1 only goes to 640 but BG2 can go as high as 1024.
blank_wave13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 blank_wave13
Member since 2006 • 349 Posts
I just recently got into Baulder's Gate 2 and it rocks, so they are certainly worth playing.
A-S_FM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 A-S_FM
Member since 2004 • 2208 Posts

if you enjoy d&d or d&d pc rpgs, the baldur's gate games are worth playing now and forever, no amount of time or technology will ever change that 

jackalv666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jackalv666
Member since 2004 • 85 Posts
Awesome, I actually have Baldur's Gate II sitting somewhere on my desk here, but I've never actually gotten into it. It's just been sitting way in the back for about a year... Maybe it's about time to discover what everybody is talking about.
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#10 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
You don't really need to play the first one first. They are great game and are always worth playing. I loved the second one and would still play it, but the disk broke somehow when I moved.
warstrekkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 warstrekkid
Member since 2005 • 465 Posts

Absolutely worth playing.  I stick to my belief that BGII is the greatest game ever made, and the family of games is just as good.

I do know that the original game is locked to 640x480, but if you want higher resolutions, there's a mod called the "tutu mod" that basically takes the BGII updated engine and pastes the BGI files on top of it, so you can get the higher resolutions.

Honestly, though, the graphics don't bother me.  The sprites still look decent, and it's clean.  You're not going to be in awe of it, but you can admire the fact that the graphics and UI don't hinder the game. 

stiker71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 stiker71
Member since 2005 • 4737 Posts
Yes it is.