Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition 6.0 @ Gamespot

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Note: The reviewer thinks the original game is still great.

The reason for this low review is because he thinks the enhancements are lackluster, have ben available trough mods for a long time, has new bugs and the novel-style cinematics aren't good, plus some performance issues (believe it or not).

I think it's a fair score, and it's more about preference than anything els. From what i've seen, i think the new cinematics are much better than the old ones. It's barely ben released, and wen the patches and the community mods come out over time, it'll be much better than the modded version.

GreyViper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 GreyViper
Member since 2004 • 122 Posts

I agree that 6.0 to the content added to BG1 is fair. Sure I hold BG1 in more higher regard say 8.9, but its BG2 thats my true love. :P

The problem with EE is that right now it really does come off as not well executed money grab. They could have taken their time and tooth combed the game for bugs or asked permission to use bug fixed modders already did. They could have added few fan mods like Unfinished Business maybe even NPC banter pack, but ok I can get all that and more from BGT or TUTU. I feel instead adding not story related arena, they could have left their mark, by say continuing where BG1 and BG2 started

Somebody diid a good recap.

Yesterday i completed my ironman run of BG:EE. I give a short feedback:

-Buggy as hell

->bugs that were already fixed by modders like Reevor's quest.->Dorn disappearing after area transition and rep 16. He had a huge **** collection of magic items.->2 Neeras in FAI->I had to fiddle a lot to even install it on my laptop->Buggy spell damage from Ai->Buggy damage calculation in Inv. screen->Many other small bugs i'm too lazy to list->Had to kill Sarevok 2 times because after the first time the game just crashed

-I actually don't hate the new videos. But i don't see the point in them either.
-Cut content sucks, wtf, really why?
-Faster and smoother than BG1, TUTU and BGT (no save times, no lag, etc.)
-Small AI improvements even over BG2. I loved how casters follow you through doors and you couldn't interrupt them by transitioning.
-Overall still dumb AI. Help scripts weren't implemented. Why? They are in BG2.
-Some really crucial tweaks implemented for inventory management but still lacking a scroll case
-I love the idea of the better mechanics displays. I hope they work properly some time.
-I'm not sure about the implementation of some ToBEx features, as i didn't encounter them or didn't test them.
-They changed so much in the time i played, you could say the game is still in some kind of beta.
Edit: -I played on core rules, with minimal metagaming and exploiting. The game was easier than BGT/TUTU and a lot easier than BG1. Even if they made the spawns better in the last patch i was missing several scripted enemies. They at least could have worked more on the AI for all the balance changes over BG1.

All in all -
The game is not recommendable at the moment, but i'm still optimistic about the longer term. Even if it's unfinished and lackluster they at least work at the problems and still change stuff and they give some of my favorite modders money for that like aVENGER. I could not name somebody else who i would like to fix that thing. It definately has potential to be a better BGT and TUTU, not in the moment, but the time will come i think.

ArchDemon123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 ArchDemon123
Member since 2010 • 967 Posts

Note: The reviewer thinks the original game is still great.

The reason for this low review is because he thinks the enhancements are lackluster, have ben available trough mods for a long time, has new bugs and the novel-style cinematics aren't good, plus some performance issues (believe it or not).

I think it's a fair score, and it's more about preference than anything els. From what i've seen, i think the new cinematics are much better than the old ones. It's barely ben released, and wen the patches and the community mods come out over time, it'll be much better than the modded version.

Lucianu

Well well deserved. You could ran a much more stable BG2 or 1, if you used mods, tweaks, etc. Never experienced performance issues (played short time though, about 1 hour), but they will probably appear when too much spell effects are used or when dragons appear, that was a huge tank on FPS. Anyways, that is pretty unforgivable because they had to do a MANDATORY optimization work, and it seems that isn't the case. And gotta love the nostalgic cinematics of the first game... :P But i'm glad there's mod support in there so that's cool to see. Anyways, not worth it ATM of course, wait for mods and patches ;)

MacBoomStick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 MacBoomStick
Member since 2011 • 1822 Posts

The issue I am having with BG1 and 2 is the resolution. The widescreen mods work great but make everything to small to read or see the characters. Lowering the resolution and scaling it up looks like a blurry mess. BGEE has a zoom feature so I might try that.

matem8904

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 matem8904
Member since 2012 • 45 Posts
I was planning to buy BGEE, maybe it's not a good idea after all.
Nikalai_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Nikalai_88
Member since 2006 • 1755 Posts

I am playing the original and gave up. Cloakwood area is soooo boring. Might get back into it.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

I am playing the original and gave up. Cloakwood area is soooo boring. Might get back into it.

Nikalai_88

I just skiped trough those Cloakwood maps as fast as possible to advance the storyline. I am almost finished with the original using BGT (a mod which adds all the enhancements of the BG2 engine, and much more) and the BG1 NPC Project which adds a ton of well written banter to your companions.

It's a good game. The characters are memorable, the story gets really interesting once you reach chapter 5, the interface is easy to manage, and almost every area can be easily accesable (there's barely any backtracking trough dungeons since there is almost always a exit at the end).

The settings aren't nearly as interesting as those in Icewind Dale (thus is why boredom can occurefrequently), but there's a ton of exploration trough which you can find aditional quests, caves and loot.