This topic is locked from further discussion.

luke-9493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 luke-9493
Member since 2007 • 159 Posts

So I am too young to own a credit card so i have to use my parents but for some reason they think that if I use it too much that they will be scammed or something along those lines. The question is, I know I can only get either audio surf or Gmod. I own HL2, and Ep1 for PC and Orange box for the 360 because my PC is by no means a power house but can play those 2 games fine. So I've been wondering which one I should get. Audio surf looks pretty cool but i don't know if it will keep me occupied for long or if I will just get board straight away. I really liked the demo so i am not sure which one to but.

what is your opinion? and which one do you recommend?

1nverted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 1nverted
Member since 2006 • 1654 Posts

Garry's Mod is far better.

pseudodog07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 pseudodog07
Member since 2008 • 1106 Posts
If you like music, get audio-surf. You can't go wrong.
zeus_gb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#4 zeus_gb
Member since 2004 • 7793 Posts

Audio Surf is the way to go, it's such a simple concept but it's so entertaining. The re-playability of Audio Surf is only limited to the amount of music you have.

Steam does accept PayPal if they would rather pay via that.

Rotinaj32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Rotinaj32
Member since 2007 • 331 Posts

Gmod is the better game, although if you don't have HL2 on the PC you need to get a valve source game, and you'll be limited in content if you don't have Orange Box, CSS and DODS.

Audio Surf isn't bad also, if you love rhythm like games its tons of fun.

In the end Audio Surf has much lower specs if thats your issue and is a much more focused experience. Gmod is a lot more fun but you need to use your own imagination to make it fun.

ElArab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ElArab
Member since 2007 • 5754 Posts

You definetly don't need a power house to play most Valve games. Gmod also uses the same graphics and stuff, so if you can't run orange box on your PC, how could you do Gmod?

Just get audiosurf if you have a lot of music.

EntwineX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#7 EntwineX
Member since 2005 • 5858 Posts
Audiosurf for music lovers, otherwise prolly Gmod. But just tell them to use Paypal and get both.
luke-9493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 luke-9493
Member since 2007 • 159 Posts

BTW my PC does run half games fine, I am running a 3.3Gz pentium 4 with 2gig of ram and a radian 1650pro. So i am sure that either of the 2 games will be fine

bignice12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bignice12
Member since 2003 • 2124 Posts
If you have a creative mind get Gmod, otherwise dont bother getting it imo just get audiosurf. Gmod is a great game tho, you can do lots of crazy stuff it will keep you entertained for hours and hours. If you have a huge library of music I would get audiosurf immedietly. Eventually get both tho, they are both 9.95
krazyorange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#10 krazyorange
Member since 2005 • 2669 Posts
Audiosurf is an excellent game with pretty much inifinite gameplay. Try the demo first though. problem solved.
_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 _Pedro_
Member since 2004 • 6829 Posts

If you don't have HL2 you can't use garry's mod. Besides I doubt your pc could handle garry's mod.

Garry's mod is the better choice, but there are certainly some requirements. One of them is hardware and the other is creativity. Audiosurf requires not much of either so I recommend you get that instead.

Velocitas8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Velocitas8
Member since 2006 • 10748 Posts

You can't go wrong with Audiosurf. Very fun, very addictive. I consider myself to be a pretty casual music listener (my digital music collection isn't too big,) but I simply can't put it down (just got through playing 12-15 tracks straight.)

My only complaint about it is that I had to re-encode a couple batches of music because the game didn't support them. Not really a big deal since it takes only a few seconds per track (mostly going from Monkey's Audio to FLAC level-8..) ..but a slightly wider range of support for audio formats would be nice.

krazyorange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 krazyorange

(mostly going from Monkey's Audio to FLAC level-8..)

Velocitas8

Why was your music in that format?

TeamR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 TeamR
Member since 2002 • 1817 Posts

neither. get puzzle quest imo

but if your really only choosing between those two.....i'd go with audio surf but only if you enjoy small puzzler type games

krazyorange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 krazyorange
Pfft no. If not audiosurf, get rocket mania deluxe.
D9-THC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 D9-THC
Member since 2007 • 3081 Posts

Garry's Mod is godly...

Audiosurf is fun for a little while but Garry's Mod is pure awesome. Multiplayer fort building matches ftw...

thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
Gmod then.
VRN-KingS-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 VRN-KingS-
Member since 2007 • 163 Posts

If you don't have HL2 you can't use garry's mod. Besides I doubt your pc could handle garry's mod.

Garry's mod is the better choice, but there are certainly some requirements. One of them is hardware and the other is creativity. Audiosurf requires not much of either so I recommend you get that instead.

_Pedro_

Sputter Sputter - Sorry thats me coughing.

Garrys Mod will work fine on his machine -_- Heck it works on mine an old P4 3.06HT with only 1Gb Ram and a Geforce7200.

The only quip you might have is if you go online which is what i think most people here are referencing to.

As for a choice. Go for garrys mod, as I stated earlier Audiosurf is just a fancy version of Vibribbion which is now Abandonware.

Also the thing about Garrys Mod is that unlike Audiosurf, if you tire of it, you can simply download "extras" or buy yourself another source game for content.

_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 _Pedro_
Member since 2004 • 6829 Posts
[QUOTE="_Pedro_"]

VRN-KingS-

Sputter Sputter - Sorry thats me coughing.

Garrys Mod will work fine on his machine -_- Heck it works on mine an old P4 3.06HT with only 1Gb Ram and a Geforce7200.

The only quip you might have is if you go online which is what i think most people here are referencing to.

I missed his second post about his system specs. I just assumed he really ment his pc was VERY low spec. Which would've ment that he also had a slight chance of running Garry's Mod. Still Garry's Mod definetly has hardware limitations, much more so with the CPU than GPU. Hell I've been messing around with physics to the point even my E8400 struggles.

Velocitas8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Velocitas8
Member since 2006 • 10748 Posts
[QUOTE="Velocitas8"]

(mostly going from Monkey's Audio to FLAC level-8..)

krazyorange

Why was your music in that format?

Monkey's Audio is a better method of lossless music audio compression. Saves me a little disk space.

Going from Monkey's Audio to FLAC level-8, I saw a gain of about 200MB of space consumption per 20 tracks or so.

crazymonkey092

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 crazymonkey092
Member since 2005 • 974 Posts

Tell your parents that if they call the credit card company they can get a temp CC number that can only be used once. I do that a lot, once u buy one thing, it can never get used again.

For games, Ive really never played Gmod, ive seen it in action at a friends house, but havent tried it myself. I've played audiosurf and it was fun.

Look for videos of both, and see if u can find one u like the best.

error11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22 error11
Member since 2006 • 7163 Posts
I suggest you only get audiosurf if your a big music guy. If not then I HIGHLY recommend GMOD.
waza000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 waza000
Member since 2005 • 1906 Posts

garry's mod is complexe, and if you have no modding skills, or if you don't have the desire to build stuff ... you might get tired of seeing people all around you building better stuff

audiosurf is very fun gameplay, when you just want to listen to music, why not play on it ... i find it extremely fun
the videos on youtube just can't make it justice, try out the demo, and buy the game !!!!

Noldorin2646

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 Noldorin2646
Member since 2007 • 641 Posts
The thing about Audiosurf is, every kind of music work well for it (other than folk I think), not just your typical rock anthems, but electronica, hip hop, and yes, even classical and opera. Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture was incredible.
VRN-KingS-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 VRN-KingS-
Member since 2007 • 163 Posts

Hell I've been messing around with physics to the point even my E8400 struggles. _Pedro

Actually that is a good point - the more complex you make your contraptions (especially if youre a Rubik Gmodder) the more CPU strain there will be. But TBH not many people actually make the massive contraptions you see on youtube.

However I do have to admit they are good, I mean whole flying deathstars, - the battlestar galactica, pirateships and robots :S makes me squirm xD