ATTN: STEAM USERS Stay Alert!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BrandonStore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 BrandonStore
Member since 2008 • 296 Posts

Looks like Account Theft Season is back, just in time for Summer. A user on my account who I play L4D2 with recently messaged me, not talking like himself, then he asked if I wanted a free steam game, and then sent me a link, pretty generic (i'll describe it, rather then post the exact link) it said steam--games and ended with some shady tags co cjb il etc. I instantly told him to not click that link, thats a website that will steal your information when you type it in. He replied and sounded odd, "Relly? My buddy give me." I didn't know him on a personal level, but I knew for damn sure he doesn't type like that. Anyway, its a shame for him, hopefully he'll contact steam to get his account back, I sent steam a message myself notifying them that I suspect his account was hijacked. So I'm posting here in case this link is popular and its floating around the network again. And remember, Steam does do awesome deals, and once inawhile you really can score a free game, I remember a few weeks back they were giving out Portal for free to celebrate the Mac version of Steam. But they will advertise these deals on the official steam webpage www.store.steampowered.com and within the Steam program. No need for external links.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

I never fall for these things anyway :P

I haven't had anybody try to scam me for a few month now :)

Mazoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 Mazoch
Member since 2004 • 2473 Posts

Good warning. Glad you didn't fall for this, I hope your friend gets his account back.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts
Even if the external link looks legit, ask them to name the game that's on sale, and then go to the official webpage. If the deal is a real one, it will be there, if it's not listed there, it doesn't matter how legitimate the link looks and how trustworthy the person giving it to you... DON'T CLICK!
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#5 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Its so obvious that this is a trick. Anyone who clicks on stuff like that pretty much deserves it, to learn the lesson not to click on garbage like that.

I have a rule.. never click on a link on steam, xfire or email.. its just something i dont like doing.

Vespiion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Vespiion
Member since 2010 • 298 Posts

Thanks for the heads up!

thespywholied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 thespywholied
Member since 2008 • 3358 Posts

the old TK at the end of links kills off the trick now. :p

tjoeb123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 tjoeb123
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

Its so obvious that this is a trick. Anyone who clicks on stuff like that pretty much deserves it, to learn the lesson not to click on garbage like that.

I have a rule.. never click on a link on steam, xfire or email.. its just something i dont like doing.

kozzy1234
Ah, but if you do that, then how are you going to browse the Steam store? It's full of links. And email is another story.
RealKilla_789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#9 RealKilla_789
Member since 2007 • 3669 Posts

Thanks.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 kozzy1234

[QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

tjoeb123

Ah, but if you do that, then how are you going to browse the Steam store? It's full of links. And email is another story.

Steams actual stuff that VALVE does I trust.

But anything that comes to ME in a message I dont trust or go to.

psp_mtness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 psp_mtness
Member since 2008 • 815 Posts

kozzy1234
that's fairly harsh mate, so what a newbie (or anyone for that mater) deserves to have his/her account stolen because they will learn a lesson?...using that reasoning its ok for someone to get beaten up or raped so they learn not to walk around at night!!....and your telling me you never open links sent to you from your friends.......wow kudos to you man OP thanks for the heads up, three of my friends recently got hijacked when one of our friends linked them a "steam promotion saying you could get the MW2 stimulus pack" they immediately got signed out of there account for it been logging on at a different location, fortunately they were able to log back in and change passwords.
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 kozzy1234

^^^^

I dont undestand how you can compare getting raped to getting your account hacked...

If you are going to click on links that say FREE GAMES then I dont feel bad for you. If you got hacked another way then yeah i feel abd for peopel that get hacked, but if you cant tell what is to good to be true and what isnt then maybe a lesson is what you need.

My cousin learned the same lesson, he got a email saying FREE MICROSOFT POINTS for his xbox live. He clicked on the website and added his info and his acocutn got hacked and the person spent 400$ on his credit card that was linked to his ****

It sucks, but it was somthing he had to learn. You cant go clicking on any links that say FREE STUFF OMG! and expect to not have something happen. He use to always click on all these FREE things and I warned him not to do it as most of them are cheats and can be very bad, he didnt listen and had to learn the hard way.

I click on links that people send me if its to sites I know, if i dont know the site then I stay away.

But I DEFINATLY dont click on ANY links that say FREE STUFF, thats just common sense.

Some advice.. dont click on anything that says FREE GAMES OR FREE STUFF and if its to good to be true then it probably is.

I dont wish anyone to get hacked, but if you fall for these kind of things then it doesnt surprise me one bit. Im just trying to help people from getting stuff like this happened to them.. DONT CLICK ON ANY LINKS THAT SAY FREE STUFF! Its easy.

psp_mtness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 psp_mtness

^^^^

I dont undestand how you can compare getting raped to getting your account hacked...

If you are going to click on links that say FREE GAMES then I dont feel bad for you. If you got hacked another way then yeah i feel abd for peopel that get hacked, but if you cant tell what is to good to be true and what isnt then maybe a lesson is what you need.

My cousin learned the same lesson, he got a email saying FREE MICROSOFT POINTS for his xbox live. He clicked on the website and added his info and his acocutn got hacked and the person spent 400$ on his credit card that was linked to his ****

It sucks, but it was somthing he had to learn. You cant go clicking on any links that say FREE STUFF OMG! and expect to not have something happen. He use to always click on all these FREE things and I warned him not to do it as most of them are cheats and can be very bad, he didnt listen and had to learn the hard way.

I click on links that people send me if its to sites I know, if i dont know the site then I stay away.

But I DEFINATLY dont click on ANY links that say FREE STUFF, thats just common sense.kozzy1234

thats cool, dont get defensive mate, i was just saying a simple point, your reasoning for someone getting their account stolen was flawed, and the link that my friends went to wasn't a 'free offer' but a offer saying $5 for the MW2 mappack......now that is something steam has been known to do, offer specials on DLC..........i probably would have headed there myself if i hadn't already uninstalled the game from my pc...... and ahh there is a big difference from saying "But I DEFINATLY dont click on ANY links that say FREE STUFF" and "I have a rule.. never click on a link on steam, xfire or email.. its just something i dont like doing." one states you never click on links from those clients and the other states you don't click on "free stuff" links.... anyway i don't think anyone deserves to have their account stolen, but do agree with you that we do need t use common sense and investigate things a little bit before giving out account details/ C.C information.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 kozzy1234

[QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

^^^^

But I DEFINATLY dont click on ANY links that say FREE STUFF, thats just common sense.psp_mtness

thats cool, dont get defensive mate, i was just saying a simple point, your reasoning for someone getting their account stolen was flawed, and the link that my friends went to wasn't a 'free offer' but a offer saying $5 for the MW2 mappack......now that is something steam has been known to do, offer specials on DLC..........i probably would have headed there myself if i hadn't already uninstalled the game from my pc...... and ahh there is a big difference from saying "But I DEFINATLY dont click on ANY links that say FREE STUFF" and "I have a rule.. never click on a link on steam, xfire or email.. its just something i dont like doing." one states you never click on links from those clients and the other states you don't click on "free stuff" links.... anyway i don't think anyone deserves to have their account stolen, but do agree with you that we do need t use common sense and investigate things a little bit before giving out account details/ C.C information.

I trust steam and xfire with there programs, stuff they post or have on there program I trust. What I dont trust is FREE STUFF links send in messages from people, period.

When I said dont click on a link on email, steam or xfire, I meant dont click on any messages that you get from random people saying FREE THIS OR SALE! while you use those programs. But steam itself I do trust, if its on there store I trust it, but if its someone random or a friend sending something that says FREE THIS AND FREE THAT then I stay away and close it down.

What your friend should have done for the Call Of Duty maps was checked the Steam store for the sale and not click on the links. If there is a sale on Call of Duty maps then I would check the other DD sites first to see if they are doing them like D2D, Steam, Impulse,etc..

Basically just always look at the address in the link.. if its froma site you dont know then stay away, just my opinion.

I have gotten those same messages from randoms saying 50% off on DLC and FREE GAMES,etc... but I just dont trust them. Ill go to D2D, Impulse or STEAM for deals and not some random site. If its a game site that wants your money and isnt STEAM, Xfire, D2D, Impulse or GOG.com then I stay right away.

psp_mtness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 psp_mtness
yep i agree, i was told that this link my friends went to was the same format as steam (looked identical), but like you said the key to it is looking at the address, they are often very dodgy and your advise here is perfect "Basically just always look at the address in the link.. if its from a site you don't know then stay away, just my opinion.". no format is 100% safe and the more aware we are of possible attacks the better we are as a community, which is why i think the OP was worth the effort.
The-Mosher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 The-Mosher
Member since 2009 • 1885 Posts

This has been going on for a while, but now, since its summer like you said TC, this is going to happen more. Thanks for the heads up bro.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
I never click links given to me from Contacts in any chat program if they look shifty.
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

Its not like this steam theft is dedicated to only one time period. This kinda stuff happens all the time. If you use your common sense then you will be fine. I feel no sympathy for any person who clicks on these links.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 kozzy1234

I never click links given to me from Contacts in any chat program if they look shifty.Treflis

Exactly..... look at the address and if it looks shifty then dont click on it, straight forward.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 kozzy1234

Its not like this steam theft is dedicated to only one time period. This kinda stuff happens all the time. If you use your common sense then you will be fine. I feel no sympathy for any person who clicks on these links.

JangoWuzHere

Quoted for truth.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

kozzy1234

Quoted for truth.

Well, some people are just born stupid. Can't really blame people for being easily fooled into giving away their user+pass to anyone. /sarcasm
Dr_Brocoli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Dr_Brocoli
Member since 2007 • 3724 Posts
people s till fall for these things?
The-Mosher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24 The-Mosher
Member since 2009 • 1885 Posts
people s till fall for these things? Dr_Brocoli
Yup. Its pretty sad actually.
jedikevin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#25 jedikevin2
Member since 2004 • 5263 Posts

Outside just not hitting links from people, copy and paste whatever links friends send to you to your web firefox/chrome/safari browser and see it. Never hit a link inside of steam itself.

Avatar image for spiderman120988
spiderman120988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

#26 spiderman120988
Member since 2005 • 1421 Posts
You can never be too safe nowadays, especially with people owning a lot of games through Steam.
BrandonStore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BrandonStore

Yeah hopefully he'll get his account back, once the Phiser understood that I figured him out, he wouldn't comment to me at all. Part of me wanted to be like, I KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING but then I thought, better not. Just quietly notify Steam Support. Pretty unfortunate. :(

chaoz-king

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 chaoz-king
Member since 2005 • 5956 Posts

the old TK at the end of links kills off the trick now. :p

thespywholied
Yeah it really does.
BrandonStore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BrandonStore

funny thing is, this time it actually wasnt a TK it was a cjb what ever that means

mrkiasume

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mrkiasume
Member since 2006 • 78 Posts

dang. why must people steal? dont steal from fellow gamers man. they should go steal other stuff.

england2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 england2010
Member since 2006 • 176 Posts

this happened to me too. now i just feel embarrassed i acutally clicked a link that says 2 FREE STEAM GAMES

True_Sounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#32 True_Sounds
Member since 2009 • 2915 Posts

I read through this entire thread, can someone post how to get that free game already?!!? link me plz :P

BrandonStore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 BrandonStore

lol well it turns out Steam support is a auto communication thing. The response I got was generic computer response, bet the system just looked for keywords in the message to spit something back at me. They were like, to reclaim ownership of your stolen account send us a copy of your CD Key too.... I clearly stated to them it wasn't my account that got jacked, it was a friend, and I can't contact him so its not like there telling me instructions to tell him.... ahhh well.... wonder if he'll get it back or I'll just have a new friend to play with o_O

psp_mtness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 psp_mtness

lol well it turns out Steam support is a auto communication thing. The response I got was generic computer response, bet the system just looked for keywords in the message to spit something back at me. They were like, to reclaim ownership of your stolen account send us a copy of your CD Key too.... I clearly stated to them it wasn't my account that got jacked, it was a friend, and I can't contact him so its not like there telling me instructions to tell him.... ahhh well.... wonder if he'll get it back or I'll just have a new friend to play with o_O

BrandonStore
my experience with them Steam support is that you have to pester them a little bit, they will help but are a little reluctant to start of with, im sure your mate would be happy if he could get his account back...goodluck
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

BrandonStore
You actually dont know yet if it's been hacked, it could've been his buddy playing on his account. Seeing how you dont actually know the dude, You can't really report it for him. He's gonna have to do it himself.
Killer0422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#36 Killer0422
Member since 2009 • 148 Posts
Ha, I got it one time I almost fell for it, looked safe ^^
Ikavnieks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#37 Ikavnieks
Member since 2007 • 2848 Posts
A couple of months ago I fell for one of these tricks, stupidity on my part, and I got my Steam account back within the same day, within an hour or two actually, so I'm not looking for sympathy. However, being on the receiving end of this scam, it really isn't as obvious as "FREE GAME!!!!" as you say Kozzy, the link I was sent to really looked genuine, however, you can't think to badly of these people who have been scammed, especially if they are broke, haven't bought a new game in months and tired as hell :P
cabose38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 cabose38
Member since 2005 • 1162 Posts

Yeah, never click on things that people messae you that has a link to "steamworks," it is a fake website.

BrandonStore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 BrandonStore

[QUOTE="BrandonStore"]

Nibroc420

You actually dont know yet if it's been hacked, it could've been his buddy playing on his account. Seeing how you dont actually know the dude, You can't really report it for him. He's gonna have to do it himself.

That is true, and I kinda had the feeling he has to do it himself, I just wanted to report it anyway, just incase. Cause Steam Support can see if his password and e-mail has been changed on the account, tipping them off that I was probably right. Any way, while I don't know for sure hes been hacked, I'm gonna say its 80% chance he is, and 20% hes just messing with me. His name hasn't logged on since I confronted the possible hacker/thief/douchebag. Ehh sucks.

andalore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 andalore
Member since 2007 • 2644 Posts

Thanks for the heads up, I wouldn't fall for something like that but this'll be good to show to my girlfriend to remind her not to give her details out.

BrandonStore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 BrandonStore

I am awaking this thread one more time, for one reason only. To give Steam Support a big SHOUT OUT to excellent service. My friend didn't know what to do, he created a new name and talked to me, I told him to go to steam support and fill out the application about stolen accounts. One problem for him, he didn't have his Serial key, he apparently lost it >_> (damn 16 year old kids losin stuff) but he did have a retail box, so I suggested, take a picture of your Report Card from school and the Left 4 Dead box and tell them you just lost the key. Reason for taking picture of his report card is because thats a document that states his name, and his name is on said Steam Account (thats something the theives can't change, they can change display name, and delete your friends but not the name of the person the account is registered too) and sure enough Steam Support accepted that as proof and gave him his account back.

mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 mirgamer
Member since 2003 • 2489 Posts
Even if the external link looks legit, ask them to name the game that's on sale, and then go to the official webpage. If the deal is a real one, it will be there, if it's not listed there, it doesn't matter how legitimate the link looks and how trustworthy the person giving it to you... DON'T CLICK!ChiliDragon
Yeah, basically its good practice to simply distrust anything regarding steam links even if its from someone you know or from your friend's list, especially from chat messages. Make it a policy to only deal with steam on its official homepage or your steam program.