Assistance with a new machine

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by D3nnyCrane (12058 posts) -

Hi team - am hoping this is the right place to ask.

I've decided to make a new PC from scratch, but have absolutely zero/zip/nil idea of how to start. I dunno what's good, I dunno what makes one component better than the other, etc. I can strip and assemble a car engine in half a day but PC's - nope!

SO - I'm respectfully asking advice on how best to build a pc within these parameters:

Able to run CPU-intensive games (think Shogun II, etc) without breaking a sweat.
Preferably stacked with dual 2TB Hard Drives
Comes to around $1000USD, happy to extend a bit beyond that as necessity dictates.

I live in NZ but can get free shipping through work (US Embassy/Diplomatic mail), so all prices in USD is fine.

Really appreciate any/all help and advice you're willing to offer!

#2 Posted by spittis (1875 posts) -

Here's a demo build

XFX 7950 GPU - 309,99$

Asrock Z77 Mobo - 134,99$

i5 3570k CPU - 229,99$

Seasonic 620W PSU - 89,99$

2x Seagate 7200 RPM 1TBHDD - 179,98$

2x4GB RAM - 39,99$

Corsair Carbide 400R case - 99,99$

Total: 1084,92$

#3 Posted by psymon100 (6835 posts) -

Hi team - am hoping this is the right place to ask.

I've decided to make a new PC from scratch, but have absolutely zero/zip/nil idea of how to start. I dunno what's good, I dunno what makes one component better than the other, etc. I can strip and assemble a car engine in half a day but PC's - nope!

SO - I'm respectfully asking advice on how best to build a pc within these parameters:

Able to run CPU-intensive games (think Shogun II, etc) without breaking a sweat.
Preferably stacked with dual 2TB Hard Drives
Comes to around $1000USD, happy to extend a bit beyond that as necessity dictates.

I live in NZ but can get free shipping through work (US Embassy/Diplomatic mail), so all prices in USD is fine.

Really appreciate any/all help and advice you're willing to offer!

D3nnyCrane

Hey man. If you're in New Zealand. Why not just use pricespy? http://www.pricespy.co.nz

Happy to create a list on there if you specify a new zealand dollar budget ceiling. Also, do you need an OS?

#4 Posted by D3nnyCrane (12058 posts) -
@ Spittis - much appreciated, thank you! @ Psymon - I'd be honored if you could whip something up. The reason I'm leaning towards US piece-building is, because I get free shipping via Diplomatic pouch, the parts are generally cheaper from there. But if you can find something that fits the NZ $1200 or so range, then just as good.
#5 Posted by psymon100 (6835 posts) -

No problem man. I start by basing the build off of TomsHardware. So I took that build and loosely plugged it in, conforming to your specific hard disk requirements, but excluding windows. It was over budget.

Now I could be wrong, but I don't see you overclocking. I don't bother with it myself. So, the rig undergoes a little evolution, basically dropping to an H67 board which is still fine for gaming.

Pricing for the base of your build, the 2x 2TB hard disks, 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 RAMs, SSD (you didn't ask for this but I feel it makes a massive difference and can fit into the budget), DVDRW, Chassis, PSU and H67 motherboard is $696.85. This gives $503.15 to play with for GPU/CPU. I would be inclined to consider the Core i3 3220 CPU, with a Radeon 7870GPU. This puts you at $1221.11. This machine would be no slouch.

If disk latency is no big deal, you could dump the SSD. Though I would advice against this. Might be a better option to dump one of the two terabyte drives, as the price of non-volatile storage is always plummeting, unless you have over 2TB of media incoming the instant the machine is running. Either way, without one of the two hard disks, or without an SSD, you're looking at a fairly similar price change. This would give you $561.45 to $586.86 as a base, then again we add the CPU/GPU from the remaining $613.14 to 638.55. This is much healthier as you can go really fast.

Some choices, base minus 1x2TB plus:

Core i3-3220 with Radeon 7950 - $1188.39

Core i5-3450 with Radeon 7870 - $1206.98

If it were my money, I'd go with the core i3-3220 with the Radeon 7950. I would forego one of the 2TBs initially, planning to buy it later. That 7950 is pretty capable, check out this multi monitor gameplay of Battlefield 3.To be frank I find the Pentium G860 works great with my Radeon 7850.

Let me know if you want me to re-jig anything. I took pictures but for some reason I can't get them shared properly today. If you want them for your reference please hit me a PM with your email address and I'll flick them through.

#6 Posted by psymon100 (6835 posts) -

Oh yeah and obviously if you just order from America anyway - it's no skin off my back!

#7 Posted by D3nnyCrane (12058 posts) -
Psymon - that sounds awesome, have PM'd you with my email address for pics and setup description! Is this hardware priced from Pricespy vendors?
#8 Posted by clyde46 (48972 posts) -
Nice to see you again Denny!
#9 Posted by D3nnyCrane (12058 posts) -
Nice to see you again Denny!clyde46
Thanks man :) Also, belated, but a huge thanks to Psymon100 - incredibly helpful and put together several options, one of which I am running with (so... much... HD space...) Thanks again all who helped out!
#10 Posted by psymon100 (6835 posts) -

You're welcome man.

#11 Posted by Allicrombie (26185 posts) -
A full moon shines in the west, smoke rises from the mountain of fire, and Denny posts on the PC Hardware board. What a night.
#12 Posted by D3nnyCrane (12058 posts) -
A full moon shines in the west, smoke rises from the mountain of fire, and Denny posts on the PC Hardware board. What a night. Allicrombie
baby how come you never call me, anymore?
#13 Posted by Allicrombie (26185 posts) -
[QUOTE="Allicrombie"]A full moon shines in the west, smoke rises from the mountain of fire, and Denny posts on the PC Hardware board. What a night. D3nnyCrane
baby how come you never call me, anymore?

I always assume you're busy eating vegemite.