Assassin's Creed 2 controls

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SickStench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SickStench
Member since 2010 • 495 Posts

Does anyone else find Assassin's Creed 2's default controls extremely EXTREMELY, terrible? These are the worst I have ever seen, literally.

MrLions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 MrLions
Member since 2007 • 9833 Posts
Controls are fine.
SickStench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SickStench

[QUOTE="SickStench"]

Does anyone else find Assassin's Creed 2's default controls extremely EXTREMELY, terrible? These are the worst I have ever seen, literally.

snipergun2895

you obviously have never played the first AC. and the controls r fine in my opinion. They are just different. Which I think is a good way to look at it...You want the cliche Press X to jump Square to punch Triangle is Strong punch kind of controls?...so be it. You have so much to learn young padawan...

I have played the original AC2, but on Xbox. However, I didn't ask for your attitude, did I? Simply stating the controls fail. Different, okay? Well I can't stand them. You're so cool getting mad over my dislike of the AC2 control mapping. =(. I wish I was you.

soldine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 soldine
Member since 2007 • 1980 Posts

Theres nothing wrong with the controls, like any other game you just have to get used to them.

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

I agree is bad controls, I never played the console, but I assume is much easier. The main story gameplay is very easy, so dont mind the bad kb+m implementation is just that the dungeon thing is bad, easily does the wrong actions :(

Nighteg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 Nighteg
Member since 2009 • 334 Posts

SickStench

Yeah, completely agree. From the moment they tell you to "move your head", and you have no idea how to do that, so you just starting randomly tapping keys on your keyboard untill you hit something. After two hours of this stupidity, i just didn't have the patience anymore. Maybe the game is good, maybe not, but the presentation is horrible.

SickStench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SickStench

[QUOTE="SickStench"]

Nighteg

Yeah, completely agree. From the moment they tell you to "move your head", and you have no idea how to do that, so you just starting randomly tapping keys on your keyboard untill you hit something. After two hours of this stupidity, i just didn't have the patience anymore. Maybe the game is good, maybe not, but the presentation is horrible.

Thank you, much agreed. Rather than giving me some stupid symbol that I have no clue about during the tutorial I would've preferred an actual key on my keyboard to perform the movement. It took me a ridiculous amount of time to get the controls down. I inevitably had to go through and change all of the controls, which was a pain. I even still couldn't grasp the symbols rather than keys to perform things. On top of that I feel like I wasted my money either way because the game to be quite honest is not fun yet.. At all.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

SickStench
Totally agree... as if every human being is gonna remember which key has which icon.
Englando_IV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Englando_IV
Member since 2008 • 4334 Posts
I think it's meant to be played with a controller...
coreybg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 coreybg
Member since 2009 • 2608 Posts

I played AC1, so it took me about 5min to remember the controls again.They're fine imo.

Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts
They are bad because it tells you to push a button and shows a XBox button picture. You have to blindly find your controls. But after you get used to them, you'll find them pretty good.
deathpenn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deathpenn
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
can someone please , please tell me wat the damn controls r in the pc version to bring up the weapons wheel and how or wat the command key is for picking a weapon or fist , or the MONEY icon , lol ? im haveing trouble being able to throw money to ppl to distract them
bobaban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 bobaban
Member since 2005 • 10560 Posts
This is why I have a 360 pad.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
Member since 2009 • 4928 Posts

I have a plug in 360 controller for games like this, so no I had no problems with the controls.

Avatar image for barney_calhoun_
barney_calhoun_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 barney_calhoun_
Member since 2006 • 3887 Posts
The keyboard controls are actually pretty good, the problem is that they dont tell you which button is the lil emblems, but a quick look at the options menu fixes that.
Walincas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Walincas
Member since 2006 • 511 Posts

this is not to be rude or anything, but to me it seems retarded, that people are unable to go into controls and configure keys/find out how to- for instance bring up the weapon wheel.

Seriusly, there was a guy who quit the game cuz he could not find the "move your head key, now thats pretty much insane, spending two facking hours on tapping different keys (I know he probably did not), instead of going into configure controls and find out which key does what in a matter of seconds...

tcplotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 tcplotts
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

I loved AC1 for the record, and that, too, had a nasty little learning curve. But once you got it, you got it. AC2 is many steps backwards from that. I personally think the PC version is a catastrophe. My best guess is that they didn't spend much QA time on PC platforms and didn't really give a crap about how different the game plays off console.

So, yes, the controls are terrible. The platform is even worse. The optimization (memory dumping after transition) is non-existent, which is very bad for a game designed to make you repeat sequences in order to create "challenge", which itself is a massive design fail. Your idiot assassin is very nimble the first couple of times around, but on time 10 (doesn't happen much, but the DLC content--which Ubisoft installed without my effing permission using their crappy DRM system--wasn't tested on the PC at all), poor Ezzio's dragging his feet as much as I am in the real world. We're both obviously bored and/or disgusted.

I played about half way through until I got to Venice where the game just fell completely apart. So, naturally, I switched over to a 360 controller per the box's recommendation. No problem. That solved some of the control issues, BUT it had no impact on the platform issues which are far more damaging.

Sadly, I think the PC platform for gaming is dying by design, something that even one of the EA veeps has already pretty much admitted. Which means you're going to see games come out that no one will spend any time preparing for pc use. That means controls, platforms, frame rate and other cross platform problems will be with us for the forseeable future.

Anyhoo, yes, the controls are terrible...:) But the reality is that as a pc player your needs were really never a factor in this game's release.

I've written only 3 hard letters to gaming companies in the 30 years I've been doing this. Assassin's Creed 2 was so bad that it wound up being my third.

I'll try it on a console at some point and I espect to have a much more positive experience along the lines of the majority of players than I did with this version.

Avatar image for deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
deactivated-64ba3ebd35404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20 deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
Member since 2004 • 7590 Posts
I actually liked the controls more than the console version's. The only issues I had were the lack of decent tutorial ("push the head icon button!") and the sensitivity of the mouse movement felt really low even when turned up to the highest setting. And even if you don't like them, just change them , or use a controller. Nobody is making you use the default scheme. Stop whining and go and fix your personal issues with the game.
AllyGale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 AllyGale
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
i completely agree, i got the game today and i actually find the controls pretty maddening! there are way too many to remember and i keep swapping them but i always forget and end up walking away from targets and into walls and onto roofs i didn't wanna climb and... yeah. it's getting quite annoying. :P
bgdiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#22 bgdiner
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

I just got the game friday night after playing it many times on consoles, and I must say, it was worth the 30 bucks. Yea the controls are pretty awful, especially when they tell you to use the head icon for something, but since I had experience with what the controls did in the game, they weren't that bad. And whoever said PC gaming is dying is totally wrong, AC 2 is so much better on PC, way smoother framerate and better rendering, and I can stand bad controls for great gameplay

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
In my opinion both games have terrible control, i just dont get this right mouse button right and hold down the JUMP KEY to sprint. If i had one cent for every time that lead into a fail. Regarding ac2. Someone gifted it to me in Christmas. Wow i am imrpessed, i totaly hated the first one but the second is quite good. The tutorial was stupid. I was like "godamn it, which button is the fist high profile, i pressed everything, EVERYTHING and it turned out it was neither of the keyboard buttons. It was the right mouse button :D Another thing is the sucky camera sensivity, seriously i need a couple of minutes to get use to it. Every time i play it, i think the game lags or something.
trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 trastamad03
Member since 2006 • 4859 Posts
use an xbox controller, much easier than the default kb/m controls
Twisted14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Twisted14
Member since 2007 • 3497 Posts
I only just started playing AC2 a month ago and I think the controls are fine, they take a little getting used to but I had played through the first AC not too long ago as well. The only real problem is that when they show you what buttons to press they show the stupid little symbols rather than what key it is actually mapped to. So really it's just a crappy port.
Animatronic64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Animatronic64
Member since 2010 • 3971 Posts

[QUOTE="SickStench"]

Nighteg

Well, instead of doing that you can actually, you know, look at the controls scheme from the menu. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Masculus
Member since 2009 • 2878 Posts

It could be a lot better there are clear issues with cameras and lock system. There's also some stupid things, to run after a thief you have to press (X) in order to sprint, but to tackle him, if the camera allows you that much precision, you have to press (X) and (B) at the same time or else you won't catch him. That's retarded in my opinion. But the issue is that most of the times you won't be able to do what you want because of the controller.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58272 Posts

theyre a bit awkward at first, but once you get past the introduction phase its pretty easy. In fact, I'd say its too easy. The only issue I, umm, take issue with is the slight unpredictability of jumping while running; a lot of the times I will be aiming for a ledge or something and holding down the space bar, and I end up going for a different spot. Its not too bad, though, and in fact I'd argue the controls of the AC series are one of its high points.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mrbojangles25

It could be a lot better there are clear issues with cameras and lock system. There's also some stupid things, to run after a thief you have to press (X) in order to sprint, but to tackle him, if the camera allows you that much precision, you have to press (X) and (B) at the same time or else you won't catch him. That's retarded in my opinion. But the issue is that most of the times you won't be able to do what you want because of the controller.

Masculus

keyboard works great for me, all I gotta do is put my pinky finger on the "shift" key (tackle) and its good to go

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mrbojangles25

In my opinion both games have terrible control, i just dont get this right mouse button right and hold down the JUMP KEY to sprint. If i had one cent for every time that lead into a fail. Regarding ac2. Someone gifted it to me in Christmas. Wow i am imrpessed, i totaly hated the first one but the second is quite good. The tutorial was stupid. I was like "godamn it, which button is the fist high profile, i pressed everything, EVERYTHING and it turned out it was neither of the keyboard buttons. It was the right mouse button :D Another thing is the sucky camera sensivity, seriously i need a couple of minutes to get use to it. Every time i play it, i think the game lags or something.dakan45

the beautiful thing about the second game is there is just...so...much...TO DO! You could spend hours in Florence before you even went on your first serious mission just assassinating folks, pickpocketing, etc. Then they open up the AC2 world for you and it gets even larger.

AC1 was a good game, but AC2 is a perfect example of a sequel done much, much, much better. Ubisoft has rarely impressed me over the past few years, but this game (AC2) is just solid.

Is Brotherhood coming to PC, by any chance?

Twisted14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Twisted14
Member since 2007 • 3497 Posts
I agree it's certainly an improvement over the first game, and also chasing theives is quite simple with the keyboard. Brotherhood is coming to PC sometime within the next few months.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
Member since 2009 • 4928 Posts

Not going to bother to read the thread, AC2 plays perfect with the 360 controller, alot of games do. If some of you dont have a plug in 360 control go get one, they are cheap.

mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#33 mhofever
Member since 2008 • 3960 Posts

I've been playing the game with the 360 controller from start to finish but I think they keyboard controls are fine.

Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts
Play with a gamepad like originally intended.
psn8214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 psn8214
Member since 2009 • 14930 Posts

mrbojangles25

Feb. 22 man, cannot wait. I'm going to preorder it from Amazon once I have the money.

PS - to those having issues with controls. Play it with a 360 controller. Maps the buttons to the onscreen prompts and it plays much better. The game was clearly designed with a gamepad in mind.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 dakan45

[QUOTE="dakan45"]In my opinion both games have terrible control, i just dont get this right mouse button right and hold down the JUMP KEY to sprint. If i had one cent for every time that lead into a fail. Regarding ac2. Someone gifted it to me in Christmas. Wow i am imrpessed, i totaly hated the first one but the second is quite good. The tutorial was stupid. I was like "godamn it, which button is the fist high profile, i pressed everything, EVERYTHING and it turned out it was neither of the keyboard buttons. It was the right mouse button :D Another thing is the sucky camera sensivity, seriously i need a couple of minutes to get use to it. Every time i play it, i think the game lags or something.mrbojangles25

the beautiful thing about the second game is there is just...so...much...TO DO! You could spend hours in Florence before you even went on your first serious mission just assassinating folks, pickpocketing, etc. Then they open up the AC2 world for you and it gets even larger.

AC1 was a good game, but AC2 is a perfect example of a sequel done much, much, much better. Ubisoft has rarely impressed me over the past few years, but this game (AC2) is just solid.

Well, the first Ac was ruined by simpicity design choices both in story and freeplay. Missions were identical while in assasin creed there is variety and better sidemissions. Combat is less "press the right button at the right time" and instead of the dumb simplicity of the first, the second uses things like money and upgrades which should be in the first game. I still cant believe how crap the missions in the first game were and how much i enjoyed them in the second game. Perhaps there is hope for far cry 3 yet. I dont see why brotherhood wont come on pc. Just give it some time.
VeryBumpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37 VeryBumpy
Member since 2008 • 1718 Posts

Can't believe no one mentions the crappy mouse acceleration. That's the worst part of the controls and forced me to use a gamepad instead.

coreybg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 coreybg
Member since 2009 • 2608 Posts

Bumping 1 year old threads ftw.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 dakan45

Can't believe no one mentions the crappy mouse acceleration. That's the worst part of the controls and forced me to use a gamepad instead.

VeryBumpy
I DID I DID Seriously, it feels like the game lags or stutters, i mean, it does not even turn properly.
Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts
the icons for the keys are not a good idea for a pc version; the key needs to be shown as well. it took me about 20 minutes to get used to the kb+m controls. after that i had no problems/frustrations/issues whatsoever. later on i tried playing with a gamepad and it felt really awkward, so i went back to kb+m. i don't see what's so bad. i've tolerated worse controls
lucfonzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 lucfonzy
Member since 2008 • 1835 Posts
I always map these games to my USB gamepad (playstation styIee) and I was quite surprised at how well recent Ubisoft games have handled it. Especially Prince of Persia (2008) and AC2, perfect and seamless, not problems at all. Really bugs me when you get games like Just Cause 2 and Batman AA that will only let you map to a 360 controller, and even then its weird, but I find those pretty easy to play on keyboard.
-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#42 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

I agree is bad controls, I never played the console, but I assume is much easier. The main story gameplay is very easy, so dont mind the bad kb+m implementation is just that the dungeon thing is bad, easily does the wrong actions :(

Bikouchu35
I've played AC2 on PC (with 360 controller) and AC2 and Brotherhood on the PS3. They both control exactly the same. PC version runs a LOT better though, and looks a lot better as well.
psn8214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 psn8214
Member since 2009 • 14930 Posts

I dont see why brotherhood wont come on pc. Just give it some time.dakan45

It's coming to NA on Feb. 22.

Kokuro_Kun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Kokuro_Kun
Member since 2009 • 2339 Posts
Well, thats why they give you the 360 controller support. It's what i used, i loved it.
Kokuro_Kun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Kokuro_Kun
Member since 2009 • 2339 Posts

[QUOTE="dakan45"]I dont see why brotherhood wont come on pc. Just give it some time.psn8214

Nice, i was scared they weren't gonna give that one to us. SWEET
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 dakan45

[QUOTE="psn8214"]

[QUOTE="dakan45"]I dont see why brotherhood wont come on pc. Just give it some time.Kokuro_Kun

Nice, i was scared they weren't gonna give that one to us. SWEET

Prepare for calling an ubisoft representive to come to your house and check on you everytime you wanna launch the game :P

XIntoTheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 XIntoTheBlue
Member since 2009 • 1070 Posts
Controls have some issues. The presentation in the PC version is bad. It's fine to show little icons to represent actions, but when they fail to tell you which key it is bound to, then it drives someone to annoyance until they can memorize what key goes to what action. It's retarded really. Okay, it shows an icon to do something. Great. Okay. Now what bloody key is it? Some of the camera view get annoying, particularly with some of the puzzle places where the camera turns for you. Gets annoying because you get into your groove of having your guy zip on through until a sudden change in camera angle causes you to fly off in a direction you don't want to.
valkari72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 valkari72
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
There is nothing wrong with the controls of the game, but i think every person in this thread is confusing mechanics and controls. The developers assigned movement features to specific buttons, for pc or xbox, my version is the xbox360, there is nothing wrong with those controls, or for he pc, but the actual mechanics behind what happens when you press those buttons is where the real flaw of this game comes into. if it was simply a control issue, the error would most likely be user for not mastering the controls, but this isn't the case in this game, instead the mechanics such as jump working together with the directional stick right trigger and the A button are about as awkward together as a 1st grader field trip to a sexual predators rehabilitation center. conceptually the idea behind what the developers wanted to do was pretty incredible and fun, they just didn't pull it off, and didn't clean the game up from the first games problems, instead added more to it.
dubei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#49 dubei
Member since 2006 • 53 Posts

They didn't even boder to change them. I mean replace an icon with F for example. They don't give a frack And this is just basic stuff...