ARMA II Questions - STEAM SALE

This topic is locked from further discussion.

soliderPp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 soliderPp
Member since 2004 • 1991 Posts

Hey, I've got a question for you guys that own ARMA II. I bought Operation Flash Point: Dragon Rising last year over ARMA II because it was the first of the two to hit a STEAM sale. I enjoyed the game, but overall the experience was a little underwhelming. The graphics were just okay. The firefights and gun-play were just okay, which is to be expected from a military sim. I hoped the game would come togeather in the depth of the battlefield eg large scale battles; flying planes and helicopters; smashing though the enemy's lines with armor; but Operation Flash Point at no point delived. The experece was very close to that of the original Ghoast Recon, so to say the least the game felt dated.

Does ARMA II ever deliver the large scale battles that I'd expect it to? Do you get to fly aircraft for more than 10 seconds and is it fun to do so? Are there any big armor engagements that take place? Or is it just like Operation Flash Point where you spend most of your time running around a big map only to take a few pot shots and some Chinese from 400+ meters?

The game is on sale for $20, which I think is way too much to pay for a game that's only as good as Flash Point.

thespywholied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 thespywholied
Member since 2008 • 3358 Posts

Hey, I've got a question for you guys that own ARMA II. I bought Operation Flash Point: Dragon Rising last year over ARMA II because it was the first of the two to hit a STEAM sale. I enjoyed the game, but overall the experience was a little underwhelming. The graphics were just okay. The firefights and gun-play were just okay, which is to be expected from a military sim. I hoped the game would come togeather in the depth of the battlefield eg large scale battles; flying planes and helicopters; smashing though the enemy's lines with armor; but Operation Flash Point at no point delived. The experece was very close to that of the original Ghoast Recon, so to say the least the game felt dated.

Does ARMA II ever deliver the large scale battles that I'd expect it to? Do you get to fly aircraft for more than 10 seconds and is it fun to do so? Are there any big armor engagements that take place? Or is it just like Operation Flash Point where you spend most of your time running around a big map only to take a few pot shots and some Chinese from 400+ meters?

The game is on sale for $20, which I think is way too much to pay for a game that's only as good as Flash Point.

soliderPp

Scale? You want SCALE?!

This has the biggest scale i have ever seen in a FPS.

Ikavnieks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Ikavnieks
Member since 2007 • 2848 Posts
There is large scale battles in Arma 2, and I think the last mission of the campaign is just a huge battle that takes place over the entire map and can take days to complete. The aircrafts are good imo, and the infantry combat is among the best I've seen, although it can be a little buggy at times. I've only played the demo of both, And I've sunk 9 hours into the Arma 2 demo, and about 15 mins into OFP. Tbh, why have you not tried the demo? Then you can see for yourself.
thespywholied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 thespywholied
Member since 2008 • 3358 Posts

There is large scale battles in Arma 2, and I think the last mission of the campaign is just a huge battle that takes place over the entire map and can take days to complete. The aircrafts are good imo, and the infantry combat is among the best I've seen, although it can be a little buggy at times. I've only played the demo of both, And I've sunk 9 hours into the Arma 2 demo, and about 15 mins into OFP. Tbh, why have you not tried the demo? Then you can see for yourself.Ikavnieks
Also has the editor. :-)

TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 TerrorRizzing
Member since 2010 • 4232 Posts

my only problem with arma 2, is that operation arrowhead looks to be much better content wise.

soliderPp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 soliderPp

There is large scale battles in Arma 2, and I think the last mission of the campaign is just a huge battle that takes place over the entire map and can take days to complete. The aircrafts are good imo, and the infantry combat is among the best I've seen, although it can be a little buggy at times. I've only played the demo of both, And I've sunk 9 hours into the Arma 2 demo, and about 15 mins into OFP. Tbh, why have you not tried the demo? Then you can see for yourself.Ikavnieks

HAHA! Because I'm dumb and I didn't even check to see if there was one =P

I'll give that a shot and see what I think.

Also, I've heard there are a lot of bugs in the game that can keep you from completeing your missions and giving orders to squad mates. Has there been any work on fixing these issues?

TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TerrorRizzing

[QUOTE="Ikavnieks"]There is large scale battles in Arma 2, and I think the last mission of the campaign is just a huge battle that takes place over the entire map and can take days to complete. The aircrafts are good imo, and the infantry combat is among the best I've seen, although it can be a little buggy at times. I've only played the demo of both, And I've sunk 9 hours into the Arma 2 demo, and about 15 mins into OFP. Tbh, why have you not tried the demo? Then you can see for yourself.soliderPp

Also, I've heard there are a lot of bugs in the game that can keep you from completeing your missions and giving orders to squad mates. Has there been any work on fixing these issues?

about 7 patches, seems to be pretty good right now. It was such an ambitious game, there was bound to be bugs at first.
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#8 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11793 Posts

[QUOTE="soliderPp"]

[QUOTE="Ikavnieks"]There is large scale battles in Arma 2, and I think the last mission of the campaign is just a huge battle that takes place over the entire map and can take days to complete. The aircrafts are good imo, and the infantry combat is among the best I've seen, although it can be a little buggy at times. I've only played the demo of both, And I've sunk 9 hours into the Arma 2 demo, and about 15 mins into OFP. Tbh, why have you not tried the demo? Then you can see for yourself.TerrorRizzing

about 7 patches, seems to be pretty good right now. It was such an ambitious game, there was bound to be bugs at first.

agreed, how is the performance, and quality of the engine itself, like is it stable and optimized or just kinda thrown together like Operation Flashpoint Cold War Crises.

TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TerrorRizzing

[QUOTE="TerrorRizzing"][QUOTE="soliderPp"]

Lach0121

agreed, how is the performance, and quality of the engine itself, like is it stable and optimized or just kinda thrown together like Operation Flashpoint Cold War Crises.

people here say its much better now, i havent bought it yet but im more and more tempted.
101ColdOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 101ColdOne
Member since 2007 • 80 Posts

my only problem with arma 2, is that operation arrowhead looks to be much better content wise.

TerrorRizzing

Operation Arrowheads campaign is much more straightforward than the base game (more like what you would find in a game like MW2), its good but not as good as the base games. Arma 2's campaign was very unique as you would be given objectives and it was totally up to you on how to complete them. Like theres a mission where you have to find an escaped war crimanal, and its up to you to travel throughout the region, gather intel, search safehouse etc. before he escapes. And if he does escape before you find him you have missed your opertunity and its on to the next mission, its very open ended. And is one of the best if not thee best (military game) single player campaign in recent memory.

But Arrowheads multiplayer, afhgan setting and editor assets will probablay make for a better online experience than the base game.

khanabyss25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 khanabyss25
Member since 2004 • 279 Posts

poor, pretty poor, i was having like 20 fps with a q6600 as a 8800gt and medium settings

101ColdOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 101ColdOne

[QUOTE="Ikavnieks"]There is large scale battles in Arma 2, and I think the last mission of the campaign is just a huge battle that takes place over the entire map and can take days to complete. The aircrafts are good imo, and the infantry combat is among the best I've seen, although it can be a little buggy at times. I've only played the demo of both, And I've sunk 9 hours into the Arma 2 demo, and about 15 mins into OFP. Tbh, why have you not tried the demo? Then you can see for yourself.soliderPp

Its all been fixed, after release they worked really hard ironing out the bugs. The newest patch improved performance considerably, and im not sure if the demo also got the treatment. So dont let demo graphics performance sway your decision.

TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TerrorRizzing

[QUOTE="TerrorRizzing"]

101ColdOne

Operation Arrowheads campaign is much more straightforward than the base game (more like what you would find in a game like MW2), its good but not as good as the base games. Arma 2's campaign was very unique as you would be given objectives and it was totally up to you on how to complete them. Like theres a mission where you have to find an escaped war crimanal, and its up to you to travel throughout the region, gather intel, search safehouse etc. before he escapes. And if he does escape before you find him you have missed your opertunity and its on to the next mission, its very open ended. And is one of the best if not thee best (military game) single player campaign in recent memory.

But Arrowheads multiplayer, afhgan setting and editor assets will probablay make for a better online experience than the base game.

hmm, decisions, decisions lol. I guess Ill just wait and get both, I have so much to play.
soliderPp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 soliderPp

[QUOTE="soliderPp"]

[QUOTE="Ikavnieks"]There is large scale battles in Arma 2, and I think the last mission of the campaign is just a huge battle that takes place over the entire map and can take days to complete. The aircrafts are good imo, and the infantry combat is among the best I've seen, although it can be a little buggy at times. I've only played the demo of both, And I've sunk 9 hours into the Arma 2 demo, and about 15 mins into OFP. Tbh, why have you not tried the demo? Then you can see for yourself.101ColdOne

Its all been fixed, after release they worked really hard ironing out the bugs. The newest patch improved performance considerably, and im not sure if the demo also got the treatment. So dont let demo graphics performance sway your decision.

After watching most of the videos on STEAM and having more or less everyone here say it's awesome I think I'm sold. I love military sims and this looks to be the best of the lot. You can buy ARMA II + ARMA II: Operation Arrowhead on STEAM for $49.99. That seems like a good deal considering all the content the game has so that's probably what I'll buy.

I'd be really surprised if my two ATI 4870's couldn't run the game even if it is poorly optimised. Now that I think about I said the same thing about GTA4 when it came out on the PC... boy was I was surprised with my 25 FPS on LOW, MEDIUM, or HIGH. It didn't matter what I did to the settings it ran like crap no matter what. =P

psn8214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 psn8214
Member since 2009 • 14930 Posts

If you're worried about performance, it's worth noting that Arma 2 is a very CPU intensive game due to the number of calculations being made at any given time.

101ColdOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 101ColdOne

If you're worried about performance, it's worth noting that Arma 2 is a very CPU intensive game due to the number of calculations being made at any given time.

psn8214

True, and to add to that one of the developers posted some good info. Putting settings like shadow detail, terrain detail etc. to high or above will make them completly GPU dependant, freeing up proccssor power for calculations etc.

TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TerrorRizzing

[QUOTE="101ColdOne"]

[QUOTE="soliderPp"]

soliderPp

After watching most of the videos on STEAM and having more or less everyone here say it's awesome I think I'm sold. I love military sims and this looks to be the best of the lot. You can buy ARMA II + ARMA II: Operation Arrowhead on STEAM for $49.99. That seems like a good deal considering all the content the game has so that's probably what I'll buy.

I'd be really surprised if my two ATI 4870's couldn't run the game even if it is poorly optimised. Now that I think about I said the same thing about GTA4 when it came out on the PC... boy was I was surprised with my 25 FPS on LOW, MEDIUM, or HIGH. It didn't matter what I did to the settings it ran like crap no matter what. =P

gta iv didnt support crossfire, and settings like traffic density and view distance have much more effect than texture quality for instance.
psn8214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 psn8214
Member since 2009 • 14930 Posts

[QUOTE="psn8214"]

101ColdOne

True, and to add to that one of the developers posted some good info. Putting settings like shadow detail, terrain detail etc. to high or above will make them completly GPU dependant, freeing up proccssor power for calculations etc.

I personally max all settings minus AA, and set the view distance to ~5000, which gives me 35-50 FPS in campaign and 60 and over online and in most scenarios.

bogaty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 bogaty
Member since 2003 • 4750 Posts

Arma II is capable of portraying fairly large scale conventional battles but he single player campaign is designed around counter insurgency operations. You command a recon element whose main task is to gather intel about irregular forces acting against US and native forces in the fictional country of Chenarus (based closely on Georgia). There isn't a lot of full scale conventional warfare depicted for most of the campaign. That being said, there are a lot of user-made campaigns available for download that will give you just what you're asking for. Keep in mind that the AI doesn't really do a great job when it comes to "fighting" large actions. There won't be a lot of force cohesion as individual units will attack piecemeal. The AI isn't really big on self-preservation either so expect massive casualties on both sides when the battle first kicks off.