Are you running out of space for games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 slipknot0129
Member since 2008 • 5832 Posts

Lately I have been running out of space for games on my 1tb hard drive. I ordered me a 2tb to add as a second hard drive. I know games are going to be big in size this year. Probably over 40 gigs each.

Have you had to add more storage because you have so many games?

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Postosuchus
Member since 2005 • 907 Posts

I bought a 1.5 terabyte drive 2 or so years back in addition to the existing 750gig. Thought it was overkill at the time but recently have had to start deleting stuff. I really hope that 40gb Titanfall business was just incompetence and not a harbinger of things to come.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3  Edited By the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

@Postosuchus said:

I really hope that 40gb Titanfall business was just incompetence and not a harbinger of things to come.

Why? Games are going to keep getting bigger as they get more advanced. Only way to avoid that is for games to stop advancing. Which would suck.

As for running out of space... not an issue for me. There's no way in hell I could be actively playing every game I own, so I only keep the ones that I am playing installed. Everything else is there in my steam library, should I decide I want to reinstall and play it.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@slipknot0129 said:

Lately I have been running out of space for games on my 1tb hard drive. I ordered me a 2tb to add as a second hard drive. I know games are going to be big in size this year. Probably over 40 gigs each.

How the hell do you run out of space with games on a 1TB HDD?

slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 slipknot0129

@FelipeInside: I keep all my games installed. I have many Steam games. With Steam sales its easy to start running out of space.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@slipknot0129 said:

@FelipeInside: I keep all my games installed. I have many Steam games. With Steam sales its easy to start running out of space.

LOL. I just keep installed what I play.

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#7 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

Most of my games are on Steam. I only keep the ones I play installed. No point of having games installed if you aren't touching them, waste of space.

ForsakenWicked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 ForsakenWicked
Member since 2008 • 3745 Posts

I bought a second HDD last year (2 TB) as I was running on a small 500 GB one at the moment. Now I have an SDD for the OS and regular applications and I've stored my Origin library on the 500 GB drive and my Steam library on the 2 TB one. I might get another HDD later this year depending on how much space I have left for the second half of the year.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Yep , lot of games are out there and I am always forced to delete some of the stuff to clear up the space for more games . Size of games is also getting bigger . I always owned pretty good PCs but one thing that I always lacked is bigger Hard Disk .

IvanElk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 IvanElk
Member since 2008 • 3798 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

@slipknot0129 said:

Dude steam is like a drug. I swear I get steam games that I didn't even know I wanted.

Avatar image for gogoplexiorayo2
Gogoplexiorayo2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

#11 Gogoplexiorayo2
Member since 2013 • 189 Posts

i only buy 3 - 6 games a year so i dont think i will run out of space on my 1tb ssd. And im pretty sure i wont be a huge fan of all the games that i buy in the next years either.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127492 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

@slipknot0129 said:

You have about twice as many games as I do... So over 200.

All installed of course.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@slipknot0129 said:

No, never.

About your assumption that games are going to be over 40Gb each just because you've seen Titanfall bad coding that takes 50Gb doesn't mean all games are going to be alike.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By horgen  Moderator

@PredatorRules said:

@slipknot0129 said:

No, never.

About your assumption that games are going to be over 40Gb each just because you've seen Titanfall bad coding that takes 50Gb doesn't mean all games are going to be alike.

Isn't 15-20GB becoming rather normal these days with games? I wouldn't be surprised if we over this generation (thinking console's) might see another 10GB increase in that, while still being under 40GB, means that games require 40GB or more will be more common. I just hope it isn't because of videos in the game.

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115429 Posts

I still got 1.2 TB left on my 2 TB drive I use for games.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

No. I only install the games I'm currently playing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto said:

this.

then i uninstall them, and install the next bunch from my backlog.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

400GB left, Oh shuddup, it'll be fine...

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

I use my 640GB WD for just games. It's been full for a while now, maybe sometime i'll get something bigger.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

@groowagon said:

@jun_aka_pekto said:

this.

This is my deal, I install what I play and as soon as I beat I uninstall. I am not a completionist, so I will not play them again.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

@Arthas045 said:

@groowagon said:

@jun_aka_pekto said:

this.

This is my deal, I install what I play and as soon as I beat I uninstall. I am not a completionist, so I will not play them again.

yeah me neither. with my backlog, i simply don't have time to be a completionist lol

_Ninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 _Ninja
Member since 2004 • 1193 Posts

On the topic of games increasing in size. I don't see that becoming a problem seeing as hard drives are getting bigger in size as well as getting cheaper. That's just how technology works.

Sleepyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Sleepyz
Member since 2003 • 3805 Posts

I'm still on a 500gig hd, my computer is 7yrs old and only have a 1tb external. Half my steam games are uninstalled just no room to have them all and usually just have about 30gigs free.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 horgen  Moderator

@_Ninja said:

On the topic of games increasing in size. I don't see that becoming a problem seeing as hard drives are getting bigger in size as well as getting cheaper. That's just how technology works.

Haven't really seen anything bigger 4TB in stores here. I can only find one single 5TB drive. Which is new since last time I looked at HDD. That was a few months ago.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

I never have more than 6 big games installed that I am playing...

• Battlefield 4
  • Diablo 3
  • Rust
  • Counter Strike Global Offensive
  • South Park Stick of Truth
  • Torchlight 2

Alll of this is on my 250GB SSD and 500GB HDD combination... 80GB left on the SSD and 220GB left on the HDD.

I delete the games I am not playing. I think its stupid not to.

I am going to get rid of my SSD and HDD around September and I will get my self a 2x 750GB EVO SSD's and RAID 0 them... I am never getting a conventional HDD again.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#26  Edited By vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

@slipknot0129:

Only 18% of the games I own (116 on Steam) are actually installed. No problem here with a 1TB.

Doolz2024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27 Doolz2024
Member since 2007 • 9623 Posts

Nope, between a 500GB SSD and 1TB HDD I have plenty of storage. (The 120GB SSD I've got is only for OS and programs)

attirex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By attirex
Member since 2007 • 2445 Posts

Nope! Only one game installed on my HDD--Path of Exile. Everything else that's come out in the past year either sucks or doesn't interest me.

Yeah, yeah, I know, blog it, die, should kill myself, retard, my sister and mom are whores, etc, etc.

PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

nope. I tend to keep my hard drive half full, just install games that I am currently playing.

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts

I only keep games that I haven't finished installed. I ran out of space last year...

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@horgen123 said:

@PredatorRules said:

@slipknot0129 said:

No, never.

Isn't 15-20GB becoming rather normal these days with games? I wouldn't be surprised if we over this generation (thinking console's) might see another 10GB increase in that, while still being under 40GB, means that games require 40GB or more will be more common. I just hope it isn't because of videos in the game.

Eeither way you can buy a 2Tb real cheap and even a 4Tb is affordable.

MegaMatt91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MegaMatt91
Member since 2011 • 462 Posts

I only have installed what I am playing. My 2tb HDD is 15% full, and my ssd is half, pretty much all from the OS

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 the_bi99man

@PredatorRules said:

@slipknot0129 said:

No, never.

Even if in the case of Titanfall it's just bad coding (which I certainly believe, as there's no reason a MP only shooter running source should take up even half that space), games are definitely going to keep getting bigger. I wouldn't be at all surprised if 40+gb is the norm for most mainstream "AAA" games within the next 5 years. But either way, it's still not an issue. And it wouldn't be an issue for TC, either, if he didn't have the strange habit of keeping every single game he owns installed.

Seriously slipknot, do you not get why steam works the way it does? Go look through your library and count how many games you've actually played in the last week. How about the last month? How many have you had installed for months and never even launched? Uninstall some shit, bro.

slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 slipknot0129

@the_bi99man said:

@PredatorRules said:

@slipknot0129 said:

No, never.

Even if in the case of Titanfall it's just bad coding (which I certainly believe, as there's no reason a MP only shooter running source should take up even half that space), games are definitely going to keep getting bigger. I wouldn't be at all surprised if 40+gb is the norm for most mainstream "AAA" games within the next 5 years. But either way, it's still not an issue. And it wouldn't be an issue for TC, either, if he didn't have the strange habit of keeping every single game he owns installed.

Seriously slipknot, do you not get why steam works the way it does? Go look through your library and count how many games you've actually played in the last week. How about the last month? How many have you had installed for months and never even launched? Uninstall some shit, bro.

I'll keep all my games installed on my pc. Nothing like sitting on the couch with my Nvidia Shield and looking at all the games I can play with it.

I'll get another 2tb drive if I have to in a couple years.

Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts

@the_bi99man said:

@PredatorRules said:

@slipknot0129 said:

No, never.

according to this the install is so large because the audio is uncompressed so that low spec machines will not be overburdened just uncompressing the audio.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 the_bi99man

@slipknot0129 said:

I'll keep all my games installed on my pc. Nothing like sitting on the couch with my Nvidia Shield and looking at all the games I can play with it.

Except, you know, playing those games. However many you can actually play any given week.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 the_bi99man

@Kh1ndjal said:

according to this the install is so large because the audio is uncompressed so that low spec machines will not be overburdened just uncompressing the audio.

Yeah, I'm sure they were concerned about low spec machines. That's why they found some way to make a source game that doesn't look any better than any big budget shooter of the last few years require DX11.

jcknapier711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 jcknapier711
Member since 2012 • 470 Posts

@the_bi99man said:

@Postosuchus said:

I really hope that 40gb Titanfall business was just incompetence and not a harbinger of things to come.

Why? Games are going to keep getting bigger as they get more advanced. Only way to avoid that is for games to stop advancing. Which would suck.

Not necessarily. It's how you use the space that's important. Obviously, I don't think we'll ever fit games on a 5.25" floppies ever again.

But I've declined to buy games solely because they were too big. I was never interested in Titanfall to begin with. I haven't put D3 back on my system just because it's too big.

My 2 cents that nobody else will like...

nicecall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#39 nicecall
Member since 2013 • 528 Posts

making games large makes sense for single player games especially since it really lowers peoples desire to pirate it. I think COD Ghosts is around 30gbs, a lot of people didn't even bother trying the game cause they couldnt download it. Most games higher res textures now anyways so i expect them to be larger. And any game with video in it will naturally be huge in size.

Its too bad though some games are so big cause I play all mine off SSDs and i only have around 500gigs of ssd space to use for games... so i have to delete some after a while if i'm not playing them.

MMOs are huge also, can't have many of those on my pc either they eat up a lot of space.

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

I have 3.5 TB of space and over 500. Games installed I have 20gb free, gonna pick up a 3 TB HDD soon then I should be good for a while.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Nope, 1tb is more than enough for me. I always have 300gb+ to spare. Personally I don't see any reason to install any games other than the ones I'm currently playing (which is never more than a handful at a time). Most of my hard drive is dedicated to movie/show rips and lossless music.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By the_bi99man

@jcknapier711 said:

@the_bi99man said:

@Postosuchus said:

Not necessarily. It's how you use the space that's important. Obviously, I don't think we'll ever fit games on a 5.25" floppies ever again.

But I've declined to buy games solely because they were too big. I was never interested in Titanfall to begin with. I haven't put D3 back on my system just because it's too big.

Well that's all fine and dandy for you, if you don't want to play Titanfall or D3. But that doesn't change anything. Games are getting bigger. Period. That's not going to stop. If you refuse to ever buy a game that requires more than 40 gb, then in 10 years, you're going to be playing nothing but decade old games and a bunch of low-spec indie titles. Maybe you're fine with that. I don't know. But for those of us who intend to keep playing AAA, big-budget games every now and again, when good ones come along, we're going to have to deal with bigger installs.

15 years ago, most games didn't take up any more space than an album worth of MP3s now. Did people give up on gaming when games started to break the 1gb mark? Maybe some did. I feel sorry for them.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 the_bi99man

@nicecall said:

making games large makes sense for single player games especially since it really lowers peoples desire to pirate it. I think COD Ghosts is around 30gbs, a lot of people didn't even bother trying the game cause they couldnt download it.

I really hope you don't actually believe that developers make a decision to make their game take up a lot of space, or that this decision has anything to do with piracy.

Games are getting bigger because graphics are improving, textures are getting bigger, audio is increasing in quality, and CGI cutscenes take up space. That is all. Developers don't sit down and decide, "hey, lets make this game take up 50 gigabytes, because then people won't want to waste time pirating it". They make a game, and if it turns out that it's big... then it's big. Any decision making being done by the devs that has anything to do with install size is centered around cutting things out of the game to keep install size down. Not coming up with arbitrary reasons to make it bigger.

nicecall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#44 nicecall
Member since 2013 • 528 Posts

@the_bi99man said:

@nicecall said:

making games large makes sense for single player games especially since it really lowers peoples desire to pirate it. I think COD Ghosts is around 30gbs, a lot of people didn't even bother trying the game cause they couldnt download it.

I really hope you don't actually believe that developers make a decision to make their game take up a lot of space, or that this decision has anything to do with piracy.

Games are getting bigger because graphics are improving, textures are getting bigger, audio is increasing in quality, and CGI cutscenes take up space. That is all. Developers don't sit down and decide, "hey, lets make this game take up 50 gigabytes, because then people won't want to waste time pirating it". They make a game, and if it turns out that it's big... then it's big. Any decision making being done by the devs that has anything to do with install size is centered around cutting things out of the game to keep install size down. Not coming up with arbitrary reasons to make it bigger.

you edited out my part when i mentioned larger textures and movies, nice one

jcknapier711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 jcknapier711
Member since 2012 • 470 Posts

@the_bi99man said:

@jcknapier711 said:

@the_bi99man said:

@Postosuchus said:

Well that's all fine and dandy for you, if you don't want to play Titanfall or D3. But that doesn't change anything. Games are getting bigger. Period. That's not going to stop. If you refuse to ever buy a game that requires more than 40 gb, then in 10 years, you're going to be playing nothing but decade old games and a bunch of low-spec indie titles. Maybe you're fine with that. I don't know. But for those of us who intend to keep playing AAA, big-budget games every now and again, when good ones come along, we're going to have to deal with bigger installs.

15 years ago, most games didn't take up any more space than an album worth of MP3s now. Did people give up on gaming when games started to break the 1gb mark? Maybe some did. I feel sorry for them.

Well, all I was trying to say is that, I don't really believe 40gigs is necessary. There are techniques they can use to reduce the size. It's just not economical to do so. I do understand that with new effects you're going to need to have more space. I just don't think that there's any effort to optimize the size, just the speed at which it runs. I think most gamers would prefer smooth framerate over size on disk.

15 years ago games were 500 to 1.5gigs. That's quite a bit more than an album of mp3s. I have Fallout 2 installed and that's 600MBs and that doesn't even use 3D. I believe Far Cry was 2 or 3 gigs? That's just off the top of my head, so I'm not saying that with any certainty. Google says Far Cry 3 is 6gbs. It's only recently that we have this bloat. I think from the late 90s until a few years ago games didn't grow much in size.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 horgen  Moderator

@the_bi99man said:

@nicecall said:

If they just used scripted events using the game engine, those would take a lot less space. The only games I remember doing this atm are GoldenEye and Perfect Dark on N64.