Are wireless keyboards and mice viable for gaming yet?

brodelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By brodelin
Member since 2005 • 583 Posts

I haven't used wireless keyboards and mice since 2008 and then they were quite bad for gaming due to the input lag and connectivity issues.

However now Im tempted to buy wireless since my PC is connected to the big screen in the livingroom and its quite cumbersome to have my gaming pheriperals wired.

I sit at a distance of about 3-4 meters from my PC and Im wondering if anyone can reccomend me a good wireless keyboard and mouse that would work good at this distance.

Illuminated keys would be a good bonus for the k/b and my preffered brand is logitech.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

No problems with single-player games which are what I play nowadays. I've been using wireless keyboard/mouse for years.

I also use HDTVs as PC monitors. But, I avoid HDMI and stick with either VGA or DVI. To be honest, I can't perceive any lag.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

Modern wireless devices are pretty much lag free. Just as much lag as a typical wired device. The technology has definitely improved.

bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts

Single player games, no problem. I wouldn't recommend them for competitive multiplayer though.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

If the wireless mouse is 500hz or greater it's fine. The vast majority are 125hz and it's definitely noticeable. Keyboards I can also tell they have input lag, but I'm not sure how wireless keyboards work over wireless because they don't do polling(to my knowledge).

However since you are already 3-4 feet away, then wireless is fine. You can't play tryhard mode if you are busy being comfy. The input lag isn't huge or anything, it's just noticeable if you can compare side by side.

Of course if you just got a 500hz mouse or greater then it's pretty much the same as wired.

brodelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By brodelin

Well I play mostly Dota 2 and other multiplayer games such as mmos...

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@brodelin:

G700s and umm a wireless KB, mine is a cheap K320 from Logitech.

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 cyloninside
Member since 2014 • 815 Posts

@brodelin said:

I haven't used wireless keyboards and mice since 2008 and then they were quite bad for gaming due to the input lag and connectivity issues.

However now Im tempted to buy wireless since my PC is connected to the big screen in the livingroom and its quite cumbersome to have my gaming pheriperals wired.

I sit at a distance of about 3-4 meters from my PC and Im wondering if anyone can reccomend me a good wireless keyboard and mouse that would work good at this distance.

Illuminated keys would be a good bonus for the k/b and my preffered brand is logitech.

are you so amazing at games that about a millisecond actually makes a difference for your gameplay? no?

ok then, wireless mice and keyboard are just fine for you.

brodelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By brodelin

@cyloninside: No Im not concerned about those milliseconds for my competive play but more for the feeling of controll. Also besides imput lag Im morre worried about connection issues while in game.