Are these good specs for gaming?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

fudgeman7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 fudgeman7
Member since 2006 • 192 Posts

I'm purchasing a custom built PC and I am wondering if these following specs are good. Keep in mind that I am not looking to run Crysis. However what range of games would I be able to run on this hardware?

I''ll start with the motherboard, it is an Asus Crosshair. Which is the ideal foundation for any high performance PC. It has it hasduel IDE, 2x pci-e x16, 1x pci-e x4, 3xpci 2.2, with 6 xSATA, RAID0, 1, 0+1, 5 & JBOD, decent chipset (590SLI), good Award bios (which has countless options for manual overclocking, and some preset options for this too), dualGigabit LAN(can be linked by nVidia ntworking options), 4x DIMM (max. 8Gb DDR2-800), 2x e-STAT connectors on I/O, LCD poster on I/O (to show errors/time )2x IEEE 1394 and onboard LEDs for working on when powered down. Alarge heatpipe that runs around the CPU and chipset, 3x heat sensors, there is a handy block to attach case connectors too before fixing on the board (usually fiddly), plus a windows utility that you can use to flash the bios - easy. Power - ATX 8 & 24 pin 12v, ATX 12v 2.0.4x1GB RAM sticks. (windows XP supports up to 3.5GB)2.61GHZ Processor590SLI chipset
Next the Video Card;Palit Geforce nvidia 8400GSWhich has 512 MB on board memory. HDMI out. and runs any direct X 9/10 games.
Specs;

• Bus interface: PCI Express
  • RAMDACs: 400 MHz
  • NVIDIA® unified architecture with GigaThread™ technology
  • Full Microsoft® DirectX® 10 Shader Model 4.0 support
  • 16x full-screen anti-aliasing
  • True 128-bit floating point high dynamic-range (HDR) lighting
  • NVIDIA® Quantum Effects™ physics processing technology
  • Dual-link DVI output supports one 2560x1600 resolution display
  • NVIDIA® PureVideo™ HD technology
  • HDCP capable
  • OpenGL® 3.2 support
  • NVIDIA ForceWare® Unified Driver Architecture (UDA)
  • NVIDIA® Lumenex™ Engine

Sound Card;5.1 surround soundIt also has an Alaska Fan control unit which can control up to 4 fans, at the moment it is controlling the front hard drive fan and the main back fan. There is an Alaska fan ontop of the cpu's heatsink but this is self regulatory.
Inputs/Outputs6x usb (4 back and 2 front)2x firewire (1 front and 1 back)hdmi out, vga outsurround sound out3x ethernet in2x eSata inSPDIF out

swehunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#2 swehunt
Member since 2008 • 3637 Posts

I'm purchasing a custom built PC and I am wondering if these following specs are good. Keep in mind that I am not looking to run Crysis. However what range of games would I be able to run on this hardware?

I''ll start with the motherboard, it is an Asus Crosshair. Which is the ideal foundation for any high performance PC. It has it hasduel IDE, 2x pci-e x16, 1x pci-e x4, 3xpci 2.2, with 6 xSATA, RAID0, 1, 0+1, 5 & JBOD, decent chipset (590SLI), good Award bios (which has countless options for manual overclocking, and some preset options for this too), dualGigabit LAN(can be linked by nVidia ntworking options), 4x DIMM (max. 8Gb DDR2-800), 2x e-STAT connectors on I/O, LCD poster on I/O (to show errors/time )2x IEEE 1394 and onboard LEDs for working on when powered down. Alarge heatpipe that runs around the CPU and chipset, 3x heat sensors, there is a handy block to attach case connectors too before fixing on the board (usually fiddly), plus a windows utility that you can use to flash the bios - easy. Power - ATX 8 & 24 pin 12v, ATX 12v 2.0.4x1GB RAM sticks. (windows XP supports up to 3.5GB)2.61GHZ Processor590SLI chipset
Next the Video Card;Palit Geforce nvidia 8400GSWhich has 512 MB on board memory. HDMI out. and runs any direct X 9/10 games.
Specs;

• Bus interface: PCI Express
  • RAMDACs: 400 MHz
  • NVIDIA® unified architecture with GigaThread™ technology
  • Full Microsoft® DirectX® 10 Shader Model 4.0 support
  • 16x full-screen anti-aliasing
  • True 128-bit floating point high dynamic-range (HDR) lighting
  • NVIDIA® Quantum Effects™ physics processing technology
  • Dual-link DVI output supports one 2560x1600 resolution display
  • NVIDIA® PureVideo™ HD technology
  • HDCP capable
  • OpenGL® 3.2 support
  • NVIDIA ForceWare® Unified Driver Architecture (UDA)
  • NVIDIA® Lumenex™ Engine

Sound Card;5.1 surround soundIt also has an Alaska Fan control unit which can control up to 4 fans, at the moment it is controlling the front hard drive fan and the main back fan. There is an Alaska fan ontop of the cpu's heatsink but this is self regulatory.
Inputs/Outputs6x usb (4 back and 2 front)2x firewire (1 front and 1 back)hdmi out, vga outsurround sound out3x ethernet in2x eSata inSPDIF out

fudgeman7

Since you don't have the whole PC posted it's quite hard to tell. But the 8400GS is absymal for games, it's in the region of new intergrated graphics, with the rigth CPU it should run games 3-4years and older quite well but new games would struggle even in old games given a normal resolution. (1680*1050 - 1920*1200) If youre getting this custom built then get something with a faster GPU, and if you could the post the rest of the Specs. (CPU/RAM/PSU)

fudgeman7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 fudgeman7
Member since 2006 • 192 Posts
Sorry, here: Brand: Asus Crosshair Motherboard Processor Type: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Processor Speed: 2.61 Ghz Memory (RAM): 4GB Hard Drive: 400GB Also, can you recommend a graphics card for me then? It can't be too expensive because I'm on a tight budget thanks :)
swehunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#4 swehunt
Member since 2008 • 3637 Posts
[QUOTE="fudgeman7"]Sorry, here: Brand: Asus Crosshair Motherboard Processor Type: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Processor Speed: 2.61 Ghz Memory (RAM): 4GB Hard Drive: 400GB Also, can you recommend a graphics card for me then? It can't be too expensive because I'm on a tight budget thanks :)

This is an old build, yes? The Athlon 64 is very old and you should really look at the Phenom II and Athlon II CPU's if youre getting an AMD rig, not woth it to biuld a new rig with old unefficient things in. What PSU does it have? The HD5770 is a great card and is currently almoust the only card for a budjet gaming rig. (It's not a very powerhungry card for the PSU also.) Not sure about that motherboard, i recomend you getting an AM3 motherboard, is it the 590-SLI Asus crosshair?, thats an AM2 motherboard.
gmaster456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 gmaster456
Member since 2008 • 7569 Posts
[QUOTE="fudgeman7"]Sorry, here: Brand: Asus Crosshair Motherboard Processor Type: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Processor Speed: 2.61 Ghz Memory (RAM): 4GB Hard Drive: 400GB Also, can you recommend a graphics card for me then? It can't be too expensive because I'm on a tight budget thanks :)

Those specs are fine but the card you want is not enough for most of todays games.
NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
normal resolution. (1680*1050 - 1920*1200)swehunt
And to think that I generally consider "normal" to be 1024x768, 1280x1024, or 1600x1200... That said, the GeForce 8400 is just plain abysmal for current games. Even my GeForce 8800 GT struggles on some newer games unless I notch the resolution down all the way to 1024x768 to keep framerates up (has to be 40-60 FPS minimum for me; the higher, the better). The lowest you should probably go at this point is the HD Radeon 5770 if you want your card to have any semblance of longevity without spending too much. Also, why an Athlon 64 X2 instead of an Athlon II X2 at the very least? The Athlon 64 X2s are a pretty old architecture by today's standards, surpassed by Intel's Core 2 Duo line back in 2006, while the Athlon/Phenom IIs are much more competitive. Or do you already have the motherboard to begin with, and maybe it's not an AM2+ one? (It'll probably be enough, but while the GPU does do most of the work for most modern games, you can't neglect your CPU or you'll bottleneck your GPU.) Perhaps if you indicated a price range...and yes, you did say that you're not intending to run Crysis or anything, but it could be more cost-effective if you just saved up a bit more and bought something newer.