Are EA games coming back to Steam?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

starcrafthenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 starcrafthenry
Member since 2008 • 94 Posts

Last week I got an email from EA stating that Origin accounts will renamed to EA accounts.

Unfortunately, I deleted that email thinking nothing of it. Fortunately, it's a story on Kotaku: http://kotaku.com/origin-accounts-are-becoming-ea-accounts-if-you-ve-got-1718799748

The more I think about it, the more I wonder why they're doing it. It could just be a name change to make it more clear what the product is. It could be that they've tarnished the name with all the buggy releases, and are just trying to get a fresh start. My hope is that it's because they're ending Origin, and coming back to Steam.

I wonder if leaving Steam hurt their bank account. I haven't bought any EA games on PC since they left Steam, and I'm sure I'm not the only person that refuses to use Origin. The only reason I even have an Origin account is because I played Battlefield 3 back when it was in beta.

I also wonder if Disney has some influence in this decision. Since they now own the rights to Star Wars, they want to appeal to the biggest group of consumers possible. I can't say for certain, but I would bet that Steam has a much larger user base, and therefore market-share of PC digital distribution.

What do you guys think? Is it possible that EA games are coming back to Steam? Or is this just a name change?

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#2  Edited By BassMan  Online
Member since 2002 • 17796 Posts

I don't see how this name change has anything to do with Steam. The change is to simplify their account management and branding. One EA account to use on all consoles and PC.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

It said in the email that Origin will still exist, it just wont be called origin.

napo_sp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 napo_sp
Member since 2006 • 649 Posts

the disney star wars thing is surely a factor that cannot be ignored though; at very least they could force EA to release star wars games on steam or taking away EA license on it; provided that the sales are less than satisfactory.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

I was actually surprised they called it Origin in the first place. Origin was the name of a really cool game company that I loved back in the day that EA bought and eventually closed.

But yeah, I don't think that means they are coming back to Steam.

-Byshop

Alucrd2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 Alucrd2009
Member since 2007 • 787 Posts

@Byshop: :O glimse from the past <3 origin game !

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#7 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@Jawad2007 said:

Greatest PC developers of 90s. Followed by Looking Glass and Blizzard IMO.

Alucrd2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 Alucrd2009
Member since 2007 • 787 Posts

@Cloud_imperium:we are too old for the stuff i guess !

Avatar image for deactivated-5938196c2bbcb
deactivated-5938196c2bbcb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5938196c2bbcb
Member since 2013 • 344 Posts

Personally, I think it would be a neat idea. The situation would essentially be the same as with Ubisoft: Sell your games on Steam and require that users install Origin as well in order to play the games in first place. Sure it can be a hassle for some but overall it should work.

The_Funyarinpa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 The_Funyarinpa
Member since 2015 • 504 Posts

As much as I dislike origin, I dont think it will move to steam. They just renamed the accounts, if they closed down origin that would be a different scenario

Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
deactivated-5920bf77daa85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#11 deactivated-5920bf77daa85
Member since 2004 • 3270 Posts

The leap you've made says more about you than about EA. There's no evidence they're going to steam.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#12 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

Doubt it. People that still want to play EA games seem fine with using Origin. Pretty sure the biggest thing that caused the split was the whole debacle about the conflict valve/EA had with the distribution of DLC.

EA are probably losing sales for not being on Steam, but that's on them.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

@starcrafthenry said:

Last week I got an email from EA stating that Origin accounts will renamed to EA accounts.

Unfortunately, I deleted that email thinking nothing of it. Fortunately, it's a story on Kotaku: http://kotaku.com/origin-accounts-are-becoming-ea-accounts-if-you-ve-got-1718799748

The more I think about it, the more I wonder why they're doing it. It could just be a name change to make it more clear what the product is. It could be that they've tarnished the name with all the buggy releases, and are just trying to get a fresh start. My hope is that it's because they're ending Origin, and coming back to Steam.

I wonder if leaving Steam hurt their bank account. I haven't bought any EA games on PC since they left Steam, and I'm sure I'm not the only person that refuses to use Origin. The only reason I even have an Origin account is because I played Battlefield 3 back when it was in beta.

I also wonder if Disney has some influence in this decision. Since they now own the rights to Star Wars, they want to appeal to the biggest group of consumers possible. I can't say for certain, but I would bet that Steam has a much larger user base, and therefore market-share of PC digital distribution.

What do you guys think? Is it possible that EA games are coming back to Steam? Or is this just a name change?

I ain't clicking no kotaku links.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts
@Cloud_imperium said:
@Jawad2007 said:

Origin were a fantastic. Richard Garriot and Chris Roberts are worthy of PC deity status ;)

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#15 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@GarGx1 said:
@Cloud_imperium said:
@Jawad2007 said:

Origin were a fantastic. Richard Garriot and Chris Roberts are worthy of PC deity status ;)

Yeah. Guys, from Origin later handled some of the stuff in Looking Glass as well. People like Paul Neurath along with Richard Garriot and Warren Spector made some of the best PC games of all time. Then there is good old Chris Roberts.