godonholiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By godonholiday
Member since 2009 • 379 Posts

Is the new Apple 5k iMac the best consumer grade gaming pc you can buy?

Bieberfan147

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Bieberfan147
Member since 2012 • 106 Posts

Yes everything apple is the best

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@godonholiday said:

Is the new Apple 5k iMac the best consumer grade gaming pc you can buy?

"best consumer grade gaming PC"???

Ummm....as in only the Apple range or in general gaming PCs?

godonholiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 godonholiday

@FelipeInside: I guess i am comparing it to what Alienware, Dell etc.. have.

Building a PC as I know is the way to go, and best value for money... but for the average joe who only buys from the store,,, this has to be the highest end product they can get right now.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FelipeInside

@godonholiday said:

Building a PC as I know is the way to go, and best value for money... but for the average joe who only buys from the store,,, this has to be the highest end product they can get right now.

LOL no.... Apples are not gaming PCs.

You have to also realize that an Apple has a different Operating System than a PC (Windows), and it plays LESS games.

Alienware and Dell gaming PCs are overpriced.... If you don't want to build it yourself just go to local computer shops and see what they can build for you.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Coseniath
Member since 2004 • 3183 Posts

Nope, its an absolute garbage.

i7 4790K, 8GB RAM and R9 M290X 2GB.

For $2499...

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts
@godonholiday said:

The so called average joe who just buys a PC from the store would go with Intel NUC, Gigabyte BRIX, Zotac ZBOX for casual use (movies, internet, music) for 200-300$ not a 2500$ MAC

EDIT: basically what you get for 2500$: 5K monitor, 8Gb of RAM, i5, R9 M290X.

Alienware Aurora 4000$: i7 4930K, 16Gb of RAM, Titan Z

So no, Apple does not sells the best gaming PC.

godonholiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 godonholiday

@PredatorRules: thats true. but eh spec is quite impressive. The 5k display, down sample for 4k games.. might be nice

godonholiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 godonholiday

@FelipeInside: lol I know about the OS.. there are more and more games being released on the Mac. Not fewer and fewer.

I have a PC, I am a PC gamer. It is just interesting that none of the companies that piggy back on the phrase PC Gaming have inovated in any way and brought a new monitor to the market.

The iMac is the only store machine that ships with a 5k display, That is interesting. That is all

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

Everything Apple sucks imo.

I will never, ever buy another apple product so long as I live. Overpriced and over controlling company that has an ego problem....never. Did I mention Apple sucks?

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GeryGo  Moderator

@godonholiday said:

@PredatorRules: thats true. but eh spec is quite impressive. The 5k display, down sample for 4k games.. might be nice

Read my edit, also you wouldn't benefit from the 5K display because the monitor is wayyyyyy too small for such tech, and trust me when I say it wouldn't run next gen games on 4K, it's too weak for that.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

@Coseniath said:

For $2499...

Apple fans will love it. Under powered and massively over priced just what every Apple consumer wants.

Lol at the rebadged 8970M GPU for $2499. It's a rip off, on the same scale as the PS4 laptop, just with less games to play. Unless of course a windows dual boot is installed and if you dual boot a Mac, why the f*ck did you waste your money on a Mac in the first place?

godonholiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 godonholiday

@Coseniath: How much will a 27 inch 4k display set you back? I mean its not 5k but you know..

The value is not only in the components.. that is evident by this very forum with people showing how they have customised their rig or even parts.

People want a certain aesthetic, home built machines get you close to what you want.. Apple fills the market for those that want that particular look, like a Ferrari over a Honda or Toyota sports car

godonholiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 godonholiday

@GarGx1: You are right there is no argument there. But there are a lot of people that want that.. more than the numbers who want a Dell PC for sure.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator

@GarGx1 said:

Apple fans will love it. Under powered and massively over priced just what every Apple consumer wants.

Haha so true

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

@godonholiday a 28" 4k display today will set you back £500 for one with g-sync (source) or £450 for one without G-sync.

Yup Apple fans will lap this thing up. On the Dell thing, they are more of a corporate supplier than a home PC seller, They do of course sell domestic PC's (Both as Dell and Alienware) and are almost as much of a rip of as Apple are. I'm not going to defend either company as they are both in the market of fleecing the gullible and uninformed.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Coseniath
@godonholiday said:

@Coseniath: How much will a 27 inch 4k display set you back? I mean its not 5k but you know..

The value is not only in the components.. that is evident by this very forum with people showing how they have customised their rig or even parts.

People want a certain aesthetic, home built machines get you close to what you want.. Apple fills the market for those that want that particular look, like a Ferrari over a Honda or Toyota sports car

I like that you mention cars. Apple is not just like ferrari. Apple's 5K is like Ferrari and its GPU is like a 90year old driver who just got his driving lisence. You think that this garbage can run games on 5K? It cannot run games even on Ultra 1080p60FPS. In short words. Monitor and GPU are baaaaad combination.

2nd. Who told you that Apple is the only with 5K monitor? Dell has a 27" 5K coming soon.

3rd. If you like certain or better aesthetic buy furnitures. Not PCs. It will be cheaper and better looking.

edit:

@godonholiday said:

@GarGx1: But there are a lot of people that want that.. more than the numbers who want a Dell PC for sure.

Haha, nice joke...

quebec946

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 quebec946
Member since 2007 • 1607 Posts

lol at the resolution and the piss poor rebranded 2 year old mobile gpu it will even struggle running league of legends at that res even on low and overheat what a piece of ishit for brain dead apple buyers.

zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 zaku101
Member since 2005 • 4641 Posts

Rip 4k...

quebec946

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 quebec946
Member since 2007 • 1607 Posts

do apple fanboys even know they're harware that thing wont even play most new games at low settings.

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts

iMac's are a horrible joke.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

its nearly $2500 on the Apple store lol, and there are several games on it you would ha e to lower the settings to get running.

godonholiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 godonholiday

@Coseniath: :( your stats show a decline in the PC market % not great.

Coming soon is not now.

I get it.. I am not an Apple fan boy, I have a good gaming PC. I also use Apple products at work as a developer and they are great.

Coming soon.. as I said, its interesting that Apple beat these established players to the market. That is all.

We all benefit from these products getting to market sooner rather than later. It drives price down further. I just thought it interesting that Apple has it at the market now, and the others dont. In fact many are pulling out of the market.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By FelipeInside

@godonholiday said:

Coming soon is not now.

I get it.. I am not an Apple fan boy, I have a good gaming PC. I also use Apple products at work as a developer and they are great.

Coming soon.. as I said, its interesting that Apple beat these established players to the market. That is all.

We all benefit from these products getting to market sooner rather than later. It drives price down further. I just thought it interesting that Apple has it at the market now, and the others dont. In fact many are pulling out of the market.

Apple can maintain that market because the majority that buy those kind of things have no clue about hardware.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

So apple sells you a $2500 pc with a mobility GPU ( m290x according to this ) which is basically an underclocked 7870 and a corei5 and you call that best gaming grade pc ? You will be lucky if you can play solitaire at that resolution with that GPU ( the gpu is perfectly fine for 1080p but 5k ? No nono no. )

You can build a similar performing pc including a 4k monitor ( though i dont know who in their common sense will build a 4k gaming pc with only a 7870 ) for half the money or buy from another company and save at least $700-800 compared to apple

Oh apple i thought you couldnt come up with an even more overpriced product than you already have yet you amazed me once again

Avatar image for deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
Member since 2009 • 7779 Posts

Based Apple

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
@adamosmaki said:

Oh apple i thought you couldnt come up with an even more overpriced product than you already have yet you amazed me once again

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#28 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

@Coseniath said:

For $2499...

Agreed, garbage! The only thing I'll ever own from apple is an iPhone.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Coseniath
@godonholiday said:

My stats are showing that there are twice as many people that buying Dell than buying Apple :).

@godonholiday said:

@Coseniath: Coming soon is not now.

True. Although Dell was first to have plans for 5K when Apple was not decided what monitor will use. Apple might used Dell's monitor in the end.

And the only thing that is good in this system is its 5K display. Although this is yesterday's tech beaten by Sharp's 8K....

@godonholiday said:

@Coseniath: I get it.. I am not an Apple fan boy, I have a good gaming PC.

You are telling us that you are not an Apple fan boy. Yet you trying to:

1. Convice people that inferior hardware is superior (i7 4790, 8GB RAM and 7870 / R9 270 2GB is by any means NOT high end).

2. Claiming that Apple is ahead of others while in the only thing that is doing good (5K monitor), it's not even their tech, its probably LG's, Sharp's or even Samsung's.

3. Claiming iMac are doing good sales and better than Dell, but in reality they are the abysmal 10% of the market while Dell has more than 20%.

May I ask cause I might don't really know well how an Apple fan boy would be. What is missing from here for someone to be an Apple fan boy?

@godonholiday said:

@Coseniath: I also use Apple products at work as a developer and they are great.

Now this is the only thing that I and I think a lot of people will agree. For professional use is nice.

@godonholiday said:

@Coseniath: Coming soon.. as I said, its interesting that Apple beat these established players to the market. That is all.

Now this is the 4th reason... In case you didn't noticed in my previous image, Apple has only 10,9% of the market, in the 3rd place and Lenovo is coming closer year after year.

Now if you are talking about PCs that Apple offers, other companies like Alienware or Origin PC or w/e already offer 11520x2160 solutions with real capable hardware of handling those resolutions (even with not so high settings) with 5960X and 4x 980 or 4x Titan black. We are talking about 8-9 times the GPU power of the poorly GPU selected new iMac.

@godonholiday said:

@Coseniath: We all benefit from these products getting to market sooner rather than later. It drives price down further. I just thought it interesting that Apple has it at the market now, and the others dont. In fact many are pulling out of the market.

I think your information is a little bit false. Apple is losing market on iMacs (-3,3% year after year) cause of decisions like this poor GPU on a 5k $2500 system.

And like Steve Wozniak (I hope you know who he is) said, "Apple is behind the competition"...

-----------------

My $0,02...

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

Just watched the conference...

• i7 4790 4 core
  • 16GB RAM
  • r9 M295X... Equivalent to a 7970!
  • 5K TN!...

£2559.00?!

With this amount you can build

• 4k panel... or Asus Swift... or LG 34"
  • i7 5820 6 core
  • 16GB DDR4
  • GTX 970 SLI
  • 250GB SSD + 1TB HD

Its shocking how much of ripoff it is.

insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By insane_metalist
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

• i7 4790 4 core
  • 16GB RAM
  • 5K TN!...

£2559.00?!

• i7 5820 6 core
  • 16GB DDR4
  • GTX 970 SLI
  • 250GB SSD + 1TB HD

Why are you shocked? It's apple. Their standard desktops are $1100.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Grey_Eyed_Elf

@insane_metalist said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

• i7 4790 4 core
  • 16GB RAM
  • 5K TN!...

£2559.00?!

• i7 5820 6 core
  • 16GB DDR4
  • GTX 970 SLI
  • 250GB SSD + 1TB HD

Why are you shocked? It's apple. Their standard desktops are $1100.

I know... Its only shocking because I am currently thinking about what GPU purchase to make and these f***ers are using a 7870 for a 5k panel what the f*** will that 7870 do at that resolution?!... Dumb.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts

It's actually not that bad of deal, coming from an Apple hater. Good quality IPS 4K monitors are still going for $2,100+ on the market.

With the new iMac, you get a good quality IPS 5K monitor for almost the same price as a competitors 4K monitor, plus an Apple computer with it.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Grey_Eyed_Elf

Even a gaming pre-build with a Asus Swift is cheaper...

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Coseniath

Wait a min.... according to Apple's site, it doesn't use an i7 CPU on the $2499 model. It uses an i5 (4690 probably). Oh God...

Price

$2499

Processor

• 3.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz)
REKThard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#36  Edited By REKThard
Member since 2014 • 479 Posts

i'm surprised that Apple still continues overpricing products.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Grey_Eyed_Elf

@ShadowDeathX said:

It's actually not that bad of deal, coming from an Apple hater. Good quality IPS 4K monitors are still going for $2,100+ on the market.

With the new iMac, you get a good quality IPS 5K monitor for almost the same price as a competitors 4K monitor, plus an Apple computer with it.

Its not using a IPS panel... Its a 5K TN.

A 4K TN is $500-600... $1200 is it would cost to build a i5 with a 7870 and 4K panel and they are charging a extra $1K for that extra 1K pixels. Kinda funny when you think about it.

Dell has a 5K IPS coming for $2500.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

@ShadowDeathX said:

A 4K TN is $500-600... $1200 is it would cost to build a i5 with a 7870 and 4K panel and they are charging a extra $1K for that extra 1K pixels. Kinda funny when you think about it.

I'm looking everywhere and I can't find a source that states it's a TN panel. I'm seeing many sources confirming it is a IPS panel.

The official Apple announcement just states "iMac with Retina 5K display uses a precisely manufactured oxide TFT-based panel to deliver vivid display brightness from corner to corner."

Which says nothing if it's TN or IPS. I'm just going by Apple's history of using IPS panels.

and the Dell monitor uses MST.

insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 insane_metalist

@Grey_Eyed_Elf: Exactly, they should have thrown 970 or 980 or 290/290X. Otherwise it's useless. Specially with new games starting to demand 4GB of VRAM.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Coseniath

@insane_metalist: They abandon Nvidia in the wrong time. Maxwell high efficieny and low temps actually benefit far more the laptops than the desktops.

Nvidia's GTX 980M 8GB GDDR5 is actually a downclocked GTX970 with 8GB VRAM.

They could still sell lower 2560x1440 imacs with GTX970M 6GB and higher imacs with 5120x2880 and SLI GTX980M 8GB.

I think the person who takes these decisions should be sacked...

napo_sp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 napo_sp
Member since 2006 • 649 Posts

anyone actually gaming on apple 'pc'? lol

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Grey_Eyed_Elf

@ShadowDeathX said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

@ShadowDeathX said:

I'm looking everywhere and I can't find a source that states it's a TN panel. I'm seeing many sources confirming it is a IPS panel.

The official Apple announcement just states "iMac with Retina 5K display uses a precisely manufactured oxide TFT-based panel to deliver vivid display brightness from corner to corner."

Which says nothing if it's TN or IPS. I'm just going by Apple's history of using IPS panels.

and the Dell monitor uses MST.

The dell uses MST because its two 2560x2880 IPS monitors side by side and both need to be hooked up.

The reason why its a TN panel is because they haven't stated that its a IPS... Apple always do this if its a TN panel.

Trust me if it was IPS they would say it was and it would cost $4000.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

this piece of shit is more overpriced than Alienware trash. WOW the limits have been breached.

maddogmark25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 maddogmark25
Member since 2003 • 3632 Posts

PC's can't even do 4K and yet this piece of garbage is trying 5K? Good grief.

insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By insane_metalist

@Coseniath: You're right, new Nvidia GPUs would have been perfect fit. Oh well what true PC gamer really cares about Apple?

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46  Edited By SaintSatan
Member since 2003 • 1986 Posts

@insane_metalist said:

@Coseniath said:

For $2499...

Agreed, garbage! The only thing I'll ever own from apple is an iPhone.

And the iPhone is not garbage? Don't kid yourself.

insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 insane_metalist

@saintsatan: It's an alright phone, I've had 3 iPhones in past and they all served me well. I care more about reliability of the phone more then anything.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#48  Edited By SaintSatan
Member since 2003 • 1986 Posts

@insane_metalist: I've had iPhones as well until I decided to try out Android. Never again will I go back to iPhone. Android is so much more complex, customizable, and free/open. You're not forced to buy music from iTunes or their App Market, you can use multiple markets on Android. Not to mention Android is way ahead as far as technology, Apple just copies them now. One day you will see the light...

insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 insane_metalist

@saintsatan: I have 5S right now, it's pretty alright. I really don't need so many features and customizable things. It's perfect the way it is for me at least. The only thing I wish it had better then 8 megapixels camera. My favorite phone that I had was HTC HD7 (at that time it was fresh). It had Windows 7 on it without all the unneeded bullshit, easy to use. But I didn't like Windows 8 on a phone or desktop (personally).

GhostHawk196

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 GhostHawk196
Member since 2012 • 1337 Posts

Apple is a company where their customers pay 60% for the brand and the other 40% for the product. I'd be really surprised if this supposed 5k iMac performed better than a 2k custom pc especially when their iphones are a lot more expensive then their competitors who offer superior phones.