Anyone running the BF3 Beta using a GTX260?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Gamesterpheonix
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Gamesterpheonix
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts

Thats what I have an Im hoping I can run it med-high with my current setup. Would really suck if I had to wait til I upgrade to play it with at least some eye candy. I cant really compare BF3 to any game so be running anything else doesnt really give me an answer. What do you say? I think its getting to the point where I have to upgrade a good bit eh? Also have a Q6600 at 3.2GHz and 4 GB of RAM. Lemme know. Thanks.

szafto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 szafto
Member since 2006 • 1389 Posts
I have a gtx 260 too and i would love knowing what kind of performance and setting i should be able to play with!
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Gamesterpheonix
Anyone? Theres gotta be someone.
brandojones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 brandojones
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

GTX 260 core 216? And yea, I'm in the same boat as you guys.

darkmagician06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 darkmagician06
Member since 2003 • 6060 Posts
why don't you just wait till tomorrow and try for yourself...
ShoTTyMcNaDeS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 ShoTTyMcNaDeS
Member since 2011 • 2784 Posts

I have been playing the BF3 beta on my Dell XPS Laptop at medium settings with silky smooth frames. I have a Nvidia GT540M card, 6 GB RAM , i-7 2620 2.7 GHz CPU. Im sure you guys can handle it!

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

I ran the alpha at 2048x1152 when I still had a GTX 260. It ran really well even though it was low settings.

Gokuja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Gokuja
Member since 2005 • 3767 Posts
i have i5-2500k and gtx260, im expecting to run at med/high. As long as fps is 30+ its good enough for me. Plan on upgrading when new cards are released however soon that may be
KameKamesan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 KameKamesan
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
I'm running a GTX 260 on a P4 dual core 3.16 ghz, 4GB RAM. Just for this game, I overclocked it pretty much as high as a 260 will safely allow. It runs OKAY on medium or lower settings, which basically make the game look closer to BFBC2 (a game this card handles perfectly well). I'm talking like 30-40 fps with some major hiccups if something super intense goes down. This card is just not built to handle this game, it's too old. It's a great card, and a survivor, but if you want to play BF3 I think this will just frustrate you. Frankly I think my card might have some heat damage so maybe you guys are having a smoother ride than me. I'd also be interested to check performance on an 8GB RAM system because I know BF games are very RAM intensive amongst PC games. tl;dr just use the Auto settings for your GTX 260 in BF3, it will do you fine and probably put everything to medium except textures (it's on high!). Game is definitely playable. But if you really want *THE EXPERIENCE* I recommend you move up to the 400 or 500 series cards.
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Gamesterpheonix

These are my specs:

Q6600 OCed @ 3.2GHz

4GB RAM

GTX 260 Core 216

Windows 7 64 Bit

On Operation Metro I got around 40 FPS. My settings were Medium-High. Medium Shadows and Terrain Quality (locked for some reason) and the rest High with no AA. On Caspian Border I got between 20-35 FPS. I have to say - after trying the game twice - the graphics arent as they should be. I can run BC2 on all high with 2xAA and get not less than 35 or 40 FPS.

I understand that BF3 is a next gen game but it truely doesnt look like that. The graphics are cheap and papery. I know you're going to flame me for saying it but it truely is. The fire and effects are trashy and there is too much going on on the screen. Explosions and particle effects are similarly sub par for me. I have all those settings on high and yet it looks that poor? I dont get it. The game confuses me more than anything else.

Im sad the game has to be like this. Its as if it will only look good if you're running it on Ultra. Models seem so sub par compared to BC2. Sure BC2 had its rough edges but at least it had a consistent and very solid feel to it compared to BF3. Its sad - first Dead Island, then Rage and RO2 and so many other games being released and sub par. Disappointing.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ChubbyGuy40

I have to say - after trying the game twice - the graphics arent as they should be. I can run BC2 on all high with 2xAA and get not less than 35 or 40 FPS.

I understand that BF3 is a next gen game but it truely doesnt look like that. The graphics are cheap and papery. I know you're going to flame me for saying it but it truely is. The fire and effects are trashy and there is too much going on on the screen. Explosions and particle effects are similarly sub par for me. I have all those settings on high and yet it looks that poor? I dont get it. The game confuses me more than anything else.

Im sad the game has to be like this. Its as if it will only look good if you're running it on Ultra. Models seem so sub par compared to BC2. Sure BC2 had its rough edges but at least it had a consistent and very solid feel to it compared to BF3. Its sad - first Dead Island, then Rage and RO2 and so many other games being released and sub par. Disappointing.

Gamesterpheonix

You do know the graphics aren't finished right? DICE already stated these are not final.

Also you can set it to ultra, but that doesn't matter. There's only medium-quality assets in the beta, so you won't see anything above that.

Rage and Dead Island are so not subpar!! :evil:

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#12 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

I don't have one myself, but a close buddy of mine does and he runs it just great. I'm using a GTX 460 and I haven't actually played it myself sadly since I don't want to explode my measly PSU until I can upgrade it.

Also, does anyone have a link with DICE stating the beta isn't the final build? I'm hearing everyone make fun of the beta and saying DICE is bsing us, but then when people say its not a final build we don't get a link of DICE saying that.

Mystic-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Mystic-G
Member since 2006 • 6462 Posts

I don't understand how I can max out BC2 and run it buttery smooth, but for BF3 I gotta run it on low/medium on Caspian otherwise it's practically unplayable. That makes no sense. It's inexcusable when the performance impact doesn't match the graphical output considering the previous game did exactly that so much better. I knew it was gonna be more demanding but damn, I gotta make BF3 look like crap for it to be playable.

It's making me consider holding out on the game till someone confirms the performance is much better for it. I'd rather not buy a game that runs so inconsistent and choppy. If that's the case I'll just save my money.

inb4 "it's a beta"

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ChubbyGuy40

I don't understand how I can max out BC2 and run it buttery smooth, but for BF3 I gotta run it on low/medium on Caspian otherwise it's practically unplayable. That makes no sense. It's inexcusable when the performance impact doesn't match the graphical output considering the previous game did exactly that so much better. I knew it was gonna be more demanding but damn, I gotta make BF3 look like crap for it to be playable.

It's making me consider holding out on the game till someone confirms the performance is much better for it. I'd rather not buy a game that runs so inconsistent and choppy. If that's the case I'll just save my money.

inb4 "it's a beta"

Mystic-G

It's a beta.

Also get a quad core :P

Mystic-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Mystic-G
Getting a quad core won't change anything unless i get something serious. My E8400 can keep up and surpass similarly priced core 2 quads in bad company 2. So unless u pull up a cpu benchmark showin otherwise for BF3 then ill have to dish out like $280 for a core i3 build and reinstapl windows in the process. Again... this doesn't change the fact that the performance to graphical ratio is waay off. Bad company 2 on max looks better than low/med settings on bf3
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ChubbyGuy40

Getting a quad core won't change anything unless i get something serious. My E8400 can keep up and surpass similarly priced core 2 quads in bad company 2. So unless u pull up a cpu benchmark showin otherwise for BF3 then ill have to dish out like $280 for a core i3 build and reinstapl windows in the process. Again... this doesn't change the fact that the performance to graphical ratio is waay off. Bad company 2 on max looks better than low/med settings on bf3Mystic-G

Techspot has a small benchmark showing the advantages of a quad-core.

Also doesn't change the fact that graphics aren't final and will be better and more demanding when it finally launches. Stop saying it's disappointing or bad.

Mystic-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Mystic-G

[QUOTE="Mystic-G"]Getting a quad core won't change anything unless i get something serious. My E8400 can keep up and surpass similarly priced core 2 quads in bad company 2. So unless u pull up a cpu benchmark showin otherwise for BF3 then ill have to dish out like $280 for a core i3 build and reinstapl windows in the process. Again... this doesn't change the fact that the performance to graphical ratio is waay off. Bad company 2 on max looks better than low/med settings on bf3ChubbyGuy40

Techspot has a small benchmark showing the advantages of a quad-core.

Also doesn't change the fact that graphics aren't final and will be better and more demanding when it finally launches. Stop saying it's disappointing or bad.

It's disappointing when I can go into Bad Company 2 and make the game look and run better on my screen. If that's not bad or disappointing to someone then they're clearly blinded by the hype surrounding the game.

The only thing even showcasing the performance difference in real comparable spotlight is the AMD Phenom II X2 560 (3.30Ghz) vs. AMD Athlon II X4 645 (3.10Ghz). Which is a difference of 6 frames per second. Hardly something worth buying a quad core over.

gunmaster55555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 gunmaster55555
Member since 2009 • 712 Posts

These are my specs:

Q6600 OCed @ 3.2GHz

4GB RAM

GTX 260 Core 216

Windows 7 64 Bit

On Operation Metro I got around 40 FPS. My settings were Medium-High. Medium Shadows and Terrain Quality (locked for some reason) and the rest High with no AA. On Caspian Border I got between 20-35 FPS. I have to say - after trying the game twice - the graphics arent as they should be. I can run BC2 on all high with 2xAA and get not less than 35 or 40 FPS.

Gamesterpheonix
lol you're an idiot.
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ChubbyGuy40

It's disappointing when I can go into Bad Company 2 and make the game look and run better on my screen. If that's not bad or disappointing to someone then they're clearly blinded by the hype surrounding the game.

Mystic-G

Why are you completely ignoring the fact that the graphics are not final in the beta and will look much better, and be harder to render with the final release?

PS: Bad Company 2 is pretty ugly at times, especially if you turn off bloom so you can actually see in multiplayer maps.

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts

Mystic-G

Wow, wtf, that graph is bs.

A8-3850 faster than 2500K?

No.

red12355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 red12355
Member since 2007 • 1251 Posts

[QUOTE="Mystic-G"]

ChubbyGuy40

Why are you completely ignoring the fact that the graphics are not final in the beta and will look much better, and be harder to render with the final release?

PS: Bad Company 2 is pretty ugly at times, especially if you turn off bloom so you can actually see in multiplayer maps.

Yeah, imo Bad Company 2 looks better and runs better. I hate how the new engine makes msaa such a big performance hit... The post processing AA just makes every thing look blurry so it's either blur or jaggies. :x

The effects/shaders definitely look better but it's canceled out by the crappy AA.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#22 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

inb4 "it's a beta"

Mystic-G

What res are you playing at? If above 1440x900, good luck, BF3 beta ate up nearly all my VRAM even though I have 2 1GB 460s.

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts
Just to prove how full of s*** that graph is, I just did a quick test... Standing in the same spot, last part of Metro map (outside). 1 core: 5 fps 2 core: 15 fps 3 core: 40 fps 5 core: 50 fps (less difference here, as CPU was no longer bottlenecking GPU)
Mystic-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Mystic-G

[QUOTE="Mystic-G"]

inb4 "it's a beta"

mitu123

What res are you playing at? If above 1440x900, good luck, BF3 beta ate up nearly all my VRAM even though I have 2 1GB 460s.

I was playing at 1152 x 864. Hardly that demanding of a resolution. I can play BC2 maxed out at 1280x1024 with smooth gameplay. Also, even though you have two 1GB 460s, you still only have 1GB of VRAM available but I'm sure u already know that.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mitu123

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

[QUOTE="Mystic-G"]

inb4 "it's a beta"

Mystic-G

I was playing at 1152 x 864. Hardly that demanding of a resolution. I can play BC2 maxed out at 1280x1024 with smooth gameplay. Also, even though you have two 1GB 460s, you still only have 1GB of VRAM available but I'm sure u already know that.

Yes, I do know that about my VRAM and even at 1600x900 I've seen it used 1014(of 1024) before, I'm scared.D= And yeah, Caspian is cpu extensive while Metro runs much better, I know this because when my gpus get higher usage the FPS goes way up when it needs to, but I'm betting the beta isn't all optimized anyways, Ultra doesn't even work.

Mystic-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Mystic-G

[QUOTE="Mystic-G"][QUOTE="mitu123"] What res are you playing at? If above 1440x900, good luck, BF3 beta ate up nearly all my VRAM even though I have 2 1GB 460s.

mitu123

Yes, I do know that about my VRAM and even at 1600x900 I've seen it used 1014(of 1024) before, I'm scared.D= And yeah, Caspian is cpu extensive while Metro runs much better, I know this because when my gpus get higher usage the FPS goes way up when it needs to, but I'm betting the beta isn't all optimized anyways, Ultra doesn't even work.

All I know is that i'll probably hold out on buyin it till I see that there's a significant difference with performance. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place because I'll have to spend a lot of money on a decent Core 2 Quad or even more money on a Core i3-2100 build. And my E8400 hasn't done me wrong so far while being overclocked to 3.6Ghz. I'd like to see a more in-depth CPU analysis with the final build.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mitu123

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

[QUOTE="Mystic-G"] I was playing at 1152 x 864. Hardly that demanding of a resolution. I can play BC2 maxed out at 1280x1024 with smooth gameplay. Also, even though you have two 1GB 460s, you still only have 1GB of VRAM available but I'm sure u already know that. Mystic-G

All I know is that i'll probably hold out on buyin it till I see that there's a significant difference with performance. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place because I'll have to spend a lot of money on a decent Core 2 Quad or even more money on a Core i3-2100 build. And my E8400 hasn't done me wrong so far while being overclocked to 3.6Ghz. I'd like to see a more in-depth CPU analysis with the final build.

The worst part is that DICE said Caspian Border isn't the biggest map in the game...

Mystic-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Mystic-G

[QUOTE="Mystic-G"][QUOTE="mitu123"] Yes, I do know that about my VRAM and even at 1600x900 I've seen it used 1014(of 1024) before, I'm scared.D= And yeah, Caspian is cpu extensive while Metro runs much better, I know this because when my gpus get higher usage the FPS goes way up when it needs to, but I'm betting the beta isn't all optimized anyways, Ultra doesn't even work.

mitu123

The worst part is that DICE said Caspian Border isn't the biggest map in the game...

Well let's hope a big part of the day-1 patch is performance increases.
threeplusfour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 threeplusfour
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

I run at work an i3 with 6GB crappy RAM and a GTX260 stock. Its running on medium settings at present and Metro map is stable at 40-45fps but Caspian lacks definition which is ok if your having a sit back game but when in the thick of it its not pleasant.

Personally with the cost of GFX cards like the 460 being so cheap i would sell off the GTX260, still get £50 and purchase a newer one

Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Gamesterpheonix
[QUOTE="Gamesterpheonix"]

These are my specs:

Q6600 OCed @ 3.2GHz

4GB RAM

GTX 260 Core 216

Windows 7 64 Bit

gunmaster55555
lol you're an idiot.

Huh? Why?
kaitanuvax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 kaitanuvax
Member since 2007 • 3814 Posts

Someone shoulddo a BF2 and BF3 screenshot comparison. I do agree it would be complete BS if the BF3 turned out looking worse than BF2 at "high" (beta max) settings, yet require much more power to run. That just screams unoptimization. And the fact that its a beta doesn't make the situation any better, because it won't mean that it'll require less power to run in the final build.