Anyone looking forward to Mass Effect PC?

• 67 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

OneNeo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 OneNeo1
Member since 2008 • 390 Posts

I saw that it's being released in May.

I also understand that it is NOT going to be a Windows LIVE game (can we say hellya?) and BioWare is going to host the servers for the stats (achievments?) themselves.

I know ppl that actually pay for live are gonna not be happy, but myself, well I just can't justify paying $50 a year to keep stats on games that I put maybe a couple of hours a month into.

I really do want to play the game, and am looking forward to it, but is it worth it? I have never really played a RPG in any great length before, I have tried, but I lose interest rather quickly, mostly because I can't afford the time to play, as they seem to take a lot more time than a typical FPS style game.

But this one does look pretty cool just the same...

I welcome any thoughts on this one, thanks!

Avatar image for Mapleleafs4life
Mapleleafs4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Mapleleafs4life
Member since 2006 • 524 Posts

if proplerly optimized, I'll be getting it

Vilot_Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Vilot_Hero
Member since 2008 • 4522 Posts
I might get it if It's properly optimized.
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#4 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts
I will probably end up getting it even though i have it on 360 already, as i think some user made mods for the game could be fantastic.. not to mention better graphics and what not.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Indeed I am looking forward to it. The only reason I don't own a 360 right now is because I could smell the PC version from long way away before the 360 version was even released.
Shadow-Eagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Shadow-Eagle
Member since 2004 • 953 Posts

Definately looking forward to it. Almost bought a 360 just for ME, but decided to hold out- Glad it paid off.

Along with The Witcher: Special Edition, and Persona 3: FES (PS2), May is going to be a great month for RPGs.

Franko_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#7 Franko_3
Member since 2003 • 5729 Posts

I also understand that it is NOT going to be a Windows LIVE game (can we say hellya?) and BioWare is going to host the servers for the stats (achievments?) themselves.

I know ppl that actually pay for live are gonna not be happy, but myself, well I just can't justify paying $50 a year to keep stats on games that I put maybe a couple of hours a month into.

OneNeo1

really? I will buy it then. I will left pc gaming before I will give 1$ to a MS game for window live.

cliffgnome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 cliffgnome
Member since 2007 • 321 Posts
Well, never played it on the 360. If it comes out with good reviews and it's fully optimized for pc; definately.
Roris0A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Roris0A
Member since 2007 • 627 Posts
Yep can't wait. I knew all along they had a pc version in mind and in development. May seems so far away..
madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#10 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10585 Posts
Yeah, looking forward to it. I don't think optimization will be much of a problem either - it uses UE3 after all.
Poshkidney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 Poshkidney
Member since 2006 • 3803 Posts
i'm looking forward to it and its high resolutions and pc mods.
mfsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mfsa
Member since 2007 • 3328 Posts

A non-D&D BioWare game? I can't wait.

Not looking forward to the voice acting, though.

mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mjarantilla
Member since 2002 • 15721 Posts
I'm more excited for Dragon Age. IMO Mass Effect was not that great of a game.
wood_duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 wood_duck
Member since 2007 • 990 Posts
ooh ooh me me i am, cant wait for it.
EntwineX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#15 EntwineX
Member since 2005 • 5858 Posts

Definately looking forward to it, I'll prolly get it even if it were crap on the technical side.

I really do want to play the game, and am looking forward to it, but is it worth it? I have never really played a RPG in any great length before, I have tried, but I lose interest rather quickly, mostly because I can't afford the time to play, as they seem to take a lot more time than a typical FPS ****game.

OneNeo1
Well knowing Bioware there's gonna be a lot of dialogue and character development, so even tho the combat might be more suitable to action gamers, I think it's still a RPG in good and bad, and might be a slight dissapointment to someone expecting a shooter.
ElArab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ElArab
Member since 2007 • 5754 Posts
People actually payed for windows live?
artur79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 artur79
Member since 2005 • 4679 Posts

I'm currently on my second playthrough as an evil tech guy with a wicked James Hetfield moustache, so I think I'll wait with the PC version until I see some real benefits of getting it on my computer.

TC, chances are you'll lose interest half way through the game. It starts out a little slow and all those side quests will really test your patience. Grinding is never fun. The last two or three planets are pure gold though. The drama, some choices and the cinematic feel of it all blew me away. The story and the dialog are enough to justify a purchase.

Mfsa, why are you not looking forward to the voice acting? There are some quality actors in Mass Effect that do a remarkable job, certainly better and more professional than in any other game I've played. Except Seth Green. He sucks in Family Guy and he sucks in this game.

mfsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mfsa
Member since 2007 • 3328 Posts

Mfsa, why are you not looking forward to the voice acting? There are some quality actors in Mass Effect that do a remarkable job, certainly better and more professional than in any other game I've played. Except Seth Green. He sucks in Family Guy and he sucks in this game.artur79

I'm sick of science fiction/fantasy games always taking place on planet America. I appreciate that BioWare is a North American company who primaily makes games for a North American audience, but it just really pisses me off that every human and, hell, every alien has a pronounced American accent. How about a little creativity for once?

Now, this isn't a call for British voice actors. I like the voice acting in my science/fantasy to be non-distinct. Exotic, to suit the exotic setting. If I'm talking to some reptile-man on some planet with a pink sun, I just don't want to be thinking this reptile-man is from Texas! Or Britain, or Germany. Or anywhere. Point is, he's a reptile-man from a planet with a pink sun, I don't want him to have an accent I recognise.

Admittedly, I haven't played Mass Effect - so I'm sort of shooting blind here. There may be a broad selection of interesting, unique and mostly importantly to me, unplacable voices. But I really, really doubt it. Developers always treat voice acting and dialogue as a secondary element, but it's a major turnoff for me when there's even slight hiccups in the writing, or inconsistencies in the voicework.

Avatar image for bureksasutlijom
bureksasutlijom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 bureksasutlijom
Member since 2007 • 1317 Posts
I gotta say I'm looking forward to it :)
pwilletts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 pwilletts
Member since 2006 • 881 Posts
Im looking forward to it because of the mods.
Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Hewkii
Member since 2006 • 26339 Posts

Indeed I am looking forward to it. The only reason I don't own a 360 right now is because I could smell the PC version from long way away before the 360 version was even released.foxhound_fox

that's actually the exact same reason for me. that and I'm stingy.

artur79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 artur79

[QUOTE="artur79"] Mfsa, why are you not looking forward to the voice acting? There are some quality actors in Mass Effect that do a remarkable job, certainly better and more professional than in any other game I've played. Except Seth Green. He sucks in Family Guy and he sucks in this game.mfsa

I'm sick of science fiction/fantasy games always taking place on planet America. I appreciate that BioWare is a North American company who primaily makes games for a North American audience, but it just really pisses me off that every human and, hell, every alien has a pronounced American accent. How about a little creativity for once?

Now, this isn't a call for British voice actors. I like the voice acting in my science/fantasy to be non-distinct. Exotic, to suit the exotic setting. If I'm talking to some reptile-man on some planet with a pink sun, I just don't want to be thinking this reptile-man is from Texas! Or Britain, or Germany. Or anywhere. Point is, he's a reptile-man from a planet with a pink sun, I don't want him to have an accent I recognise.

Admittedly, I haven't played Mass Effect - so I'm sort of shooting blind here. There may be a broad selection of interesting, unique and mostly importantly to me, unplacable voices. But I really, really doubt it. Developers always treat voice acting and dialogue as a secondary element, but it's a major turnoff for me when there's even slight hiccups in the writing, or inconsistencies in the voicework.

Well, I guess you have a very, very valid point about the aliens. I liked Kotor's approach a lot better to be honest. Why the hell should 4 eyed humanoids speak English when humanity has just appeared on the face of the galaxy (ME lore)?

The sad reality is that we are living on planet America when it comes to entertainment like music, TV-shows, major movies and so on. Hell, McDonalds and Coke. Who the hell does not know what that is? (Except some bush men who live in the Amazonas or Mongols). More and more countries are getting Americanized, this is especially true in Scandinavia. There are lots of British movies, music and whatnot out there, but they can't really compare/compete with the mastodons that are Hollywood and the American music industry. Although U2 and Coldplay are freaking huge... Anyway, I think that youngsters today are much more influenced by the Eminems and other anti-musicians out there, while the older generation still loves the British bands from the 60's and 70's. I believe that if Earth-society ever becomes a uni-racial population with one common language that every person can understand, it's going to be one with an American accent. I'm talking from a Western perspective here. I know that India is influenced by the brits, but your kingdom has lost it's grip on the world a long time ago.

If you look past the whole aliens speaking with an American accent thing, the dialog is well written and seriously some of the best I've ever heard in a game. Take that for what it's worth from a guy who's mother tongues are Norwegian and Russian.

Avatar image for lBravolASTALKER
lBravolASTALKER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 lBravolASTALKER
Member since 2008 • 42 Posts

Personally I'm not looking forward to Mass Effect on the PC.

I found ME really wasn't all that great past the voice acting and the absolutely HUGE environments.

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts
I'm not a big Bioware fan.
Miguel16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Miguel16
Member since 2004 • 6065 Posts
YES. Cant wait to see how it will play on my pc. The experience on 360 was already superb, but PC will be even better.
Miguel16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Miguel16
[QUOTE="mfsa"]

[QUOTE="artur79"] Mfsa, why are you not looking forward to the voice acting? There are some quality actors in Mass Effect that do a remarkable job, certainly better and more professional than in any other game I've played. Except Seth Green. He sucks in Family Guy and he sucks in this game.artur79

Well, I guess you have a very, very valid point about the aliens. I liked Kotor's approach a lot better to be honest. Why the hell should 4 eyed humanoids speak English when humanity has just appeared on the face of the galaxy (ME lore)?

The sad reality is that we are living on planet America when it comes to entertainment like music, TV-shows, major movies and so on. Hell, McDonalds and Coke. Who the hell does not know what that is? (Except some bush men who live in the Amazonas or Mongols). More and more countries are getting Americanized, this is especially true in Scandinavia. There are lots of British movies, music and whatnot out there, but they can't really compare/compete with the mastodons that are Hollywood and the American music industry. Although U2 and Coldplay are freaking huge... Anyway, I think that youngsters today are much more influenced by the Eminems and other anti-musicians out there, while the older generation still loves the British bands from the 60's and 70's. I believe that if Earth-society ever becomes a uni-racial population with one common language that every person can understand, it's going to be one with an American accent. I'm talking from a Western perspective here. I know that India is influenced by the brits, but your kingdom has lost it's grip on the world a long time ago.

If you look past the whole aliens speaking with an American accent thing, the dialog is well written and seriously some of the best I've ever heard in a game. Take that for what it's worth from a guy who's mother tongues are Norwegian and Russian.

The dont actually speak english. If you've played the game and read the codex, you would find out that they are speaking their own alien languages but you have some device that allows you to hear something understandable and not foreign to you.

artur79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 artur79

The dont actually speak english. If you've played the game and read the codex, you would find out that they are speaking their own alien languages but you have some device that allows you to hear something understandable and not foreign to you.

Oh, ****... I missed that, lol. You mean the Codex in game? Can't remember that they mention that in the book either.

RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
I'll definitely get it.
thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
I'm looking forward to it.
Miguel16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Miguel16

Oh, ****... I missed that, lol. You mean the Codex in game? Can't remember that they mention that in the book either.

artur79

Yea, im positive its somewhere in the codex. I myself never took the time to read it all cus tis flippin huge but its in there. I remember thinking the same thoughts as you guys about why they dont speak their own languages but then i read that and figured "oh that makes sense". And even when you think about it, if they did speak their own languages, how would the human be able to understand, He'd need a device right.

Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#31 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts
Definite buy for me.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

Cant wait.

So tempted to buy it on 360, PC versions enhancements holding me back.

Poshkidney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Poshkidney
Member since 2006 • 3803 Posts

artur79

Just like those worms in the hitchhikers guilde to the galaxy the poo out sound.

But some of the aliens in it look like puppets and that isn't a bad thing they look like they should do.

OneNeo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 OneNeo1

I will probably end up getting it even though i have it on 360 already, as i think some user made mods for the game could be fantastic.. not to mention better graphics and what not.kozzy1234

MODS, excellent point, I love my mods... (isn't that why half-life 1 is still so popular?)

linmukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#35 linmukai
Member since 2003 • 600 Posts

It sounds great. I hope it comes across in the translation even better as promised with improved inventory, etc.

People were talking about Games for Windows Live, etc. Given how irrelevant Games for Windows Live is presently I don't know why anyone other than Xbox players with Gold who get it free would care whether it is live or not. I don't know how it could possibly be worth a nickel until its adoption is widespread and it becomes a significant standard in PC gaming which seems a little far fetched but you never know. Microsoft does have deep pockets and expert marketeers... I guess if we got to a point where support for Windows Games Live reached critical mass with PC game publishers it might take off but that seems far off today. Valve will possibly have more going on there given their already 15 million plus Steam users as they adopt an achievements system, etc. Even for them however, that presently at least is very limited and how will Steam extend outside its own set of games?

I find Xfire hours played tracking kind of cool but beyond that the whole tracking thing is so segmented between just starting efforts by Valve and Microsoft along with limited tracking via XFire that all of it could just go nowhere really for a long time. If I had to bet I'd say GFWL has most potential simply because Microsoft can marry it to Windows as a built in system in various ways and isn't above doing that if that is what it takes to bring adoption and revenue. I think their ticket to ride there is the installed base of XBox Live Gold members who get it free. It's a nice thing if you own a 360 and play any of the very limited few supported games. For anyone else, I just can't see it at all.

Poor Halo 2, once online greatness now a lame behind the times port being milked in fruitless attempts to sell Vista and a Live service nobody has reason to care about as if Halo 2 for Windows is going to bring gamers running. lol

Something tells me a good number of the marketeers involved in that are not gamers as it reeks of not having a clue...

OneNeo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 OneNeo1

You say poor Halo 2, well, at least I can find players online with my free silver account, the same can not be said about my Shadowrun game, I have yet to play a single live human, just bots :wah:

unfortunately, if microsoft has their hands in the development, we can only expect windows LIVE to persist, and unfortunately, it seems they do not wish to support the folks who do not wish to spend the extra $50 a year for something that has far fewer benefits than the GOLD does for 360 users, which I have never even played on one yet.

As far as achievment tracking, ya sure it's a little cool, but be realistic aren't those stats geared for those who wish to dedicate several hours a week playing those games?

I might if I could, but I can't so I don't (what did I just say?)

That's why I never got into the RPG stuff before, too time consuming, at leat FPS style games can be completed in several hours of cumulative play, but hey I can change, I can go for 3 hours of sleep instead of the 4 I get now, I can :head explodes:

ericsytsma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ericsytsma
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
I will get it for sure. Should be worth it after all the good reviews and controversy.
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17810 Posts

ive played it on 360 (so i wont be geting the PC version) and it is a great game. its not bioware at there absolute finest but it is a great RPG. it lasted my about 26 hours (done most of the side quests also) and i really enjoyed it.

however the more i get into the witcher, the more im thinking "this is a better game...bioware have some serious competition now".

but yeah, if the PC version turns out well (and some previews are positive) then i would definately recommend it.

TanKLoveR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 TanKLoveR
Member since 2004 • 5712 Posts
Hell yea im getting this game, but it will probably be really good after the first patch, for some reason all pc games come with 34545 bugs and annoying little details that get fixed a month later.
outbreak201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#41 outbreak201
Member since 2005 • 8372 Posts
i wouldnt be too exicted. Gears of war (published by microsoft) got ported to PC and its one of the worst ports ever.
Makemap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42 Makemap
Member since 2007 • 3755 Posts

Oooo Me! See I knew it delayed. A half made game never ever ever cancels!

:P

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 mracoon
Member since 2008 • 967 Posts
Never got the 360 one so I'm definately picking the PC one because it'll much better.
A1B2C3CAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#44 A1B2C3CAL
Member since 2007 • 2332 Posts
Yes, I hope it's a good port. This is going to be a busy spring/summer for me!
OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 OoSuperMarioO
Member since 2005 • 6539 Posts
i wouldnt be too exicted. Gears of war (published by microsoft) got ported to PC and its one of the worst ports ever. outbreak201
This is flawed info. The only problem noticeable for Gears of War (PC) is crashing.
Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts
Looks awesome and assuming it isn't like baldurs gate (didnt like it, go figure) then I will get it.
blackdreamhunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 blackdreamhunk
Member since 2007 • 3880 Posts

yea I am looking forward to getting it. however I don't think the game will be as good as the hype. I mean it's coming from xbox concle game enough said right there. Alot of game devs even choose the sony kits over the xbox kits. If the games devs were smart they would have started off on pc. Make it to it's full potenional then water it down for concles.

Even ut3 it wasn't ported very well

CavalAnts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 CavalAnts
Member since 2008 • 398 Posts
yeah, i agree with SuperMario. Played it with my friend coop. Played through the whole SP game and it crashed for me only once and twice for my friend and this was it. Didn't occur anything that would ruin fun.
GPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#49 GPAddict
Member since 2005 • 5964 Posts
If I didn't already finish it on my 360, yes, but, well you know. :)
Big_Bad_Sad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Big_Bad_Sad
Member since 2005 • 18243 Posts
If my system can run it I'll probably buy it.