any ways to prevent wrist pain?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

laliberte11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 laliberte11
Member since 2008 • 4246 Posts

just built my new pc a few days ago and havent got off it O_O...but my rist frequently hurts due to the positioning of my hands...any way people have learned to stop this?

kaealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 kaealy
Member since 2004 • 2179 Posts

It could mean that you are beginning to experince Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, that means less time at the computer before it becomes permanent. Google it.

RobertBowen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 RobertBowen
Member since 2003 • 4094 Posts

I started to develop wrist pain/RSI some years ago, to the extent that I had to wear a wrist support almost constantly.

The solution was simple for me - I changed the mouse I was using to a more comfortable fit for my hand, and adjusted the height of the keyboard/mouse by getting a desk with a pull out keyboard rest. In your post you seemed to indicate your hands were at an awkward position - so you really need to change that until it feels natural. If your mouse surface is too low, raise it, or vice versa. And maybe you need to find a different mouse.

Avatar image for IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#4 IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
Member since 2006 • 1508 Posts

My wrists used to kill me when i spent all day playing WoW on my tiny laptop. They dont hurt anymore since im using a desktop with some slight wrist pads, and playing less cause of work.

edit: My wrist issue got so bad my pinkie was numb for almost a straight month, even off the pc. It thankfully went away.

arcknight38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 arcknight38
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Relax your arm and wrist, move your arm around from time to time to get blood moving. Don't lean your arm or wrist on the edge of a desk. Just becouse something your doing now its not making it hurt now dose not mean it wont cause it to hurt later or the next day. But key thing is to keep your hand/wrist relaxed... don't use any more pressure then you need to.
D1zzyCriminal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 D1zzyCriminal
Member since 2009 • 1839 Posts

Get a more comfortable set up on your desk, wrist pads, gel mouse mats etc. Stretch regularly and do hand, finger and wrist excersises. I play guitar so I have that covered, but a Powerball or hand grips may help.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

as others said, you need to have your hand relaxing more. the form your mouse has CAN help with this, if the house has a form your hand can not relax with, it will be tense.

Also, its important not to have your hand reaching too far up (sitting on too low a chair for your table, or too high).

Also do remember to stretch from time to time, just something like 20 secs when youre dead in a game, and the hand feels a bit stiff. clense and release works well (altho Ive rarely playied long enough to have it happen to me by time, I DID have a mouse that caused it pretty quick tho)

Tuzolord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#8 Tuzolord
Member since 2007 • 1409 Posts

i use mousepad with wrist rest on both keyboard and mouse, never had any problems anymore since then.

masterdrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 masterdrat
Member since 2006 • 1075 Posts

just built my new pc a few days ago and havent got off it O_O...but my rist frequently hurts due to the positioning of my hands...any way people have learned to stop this?

laliberte11
You're not moving enough, so can't heal it the same way you would for a tenis player. yoga and exercises, trust me, heals faster than waiting for it to heal by itself. I found that the Razor R.A.T. 7 helps a lot too.
masterdrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 masterdrat
Member since 2006 • 1075 Posts
Here is a link to some exercises: http://www.eatonhand.com/hw/ctexercise.htm I found out push-ups works best for me.
Celifrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Celifrog
Member since 2011 • 44 Posts
Same thing here! :(
bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts
get a gel mousepad with a wrist rest.
Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#13 Gooeykat
Member since 2006 • 3412 Posts

I started to develop wrist pain/RSI some years ago, to the extent that I had to wear a wrist support almost constantly.

The solution was simple for me - I changed the mouse I was using to a more comfortable fit for my hand, and adjusted the height of the keyboard/mouse by getting a desk with a pull out keyboard rest. In your post you seemed to indicate your hands were at an awkward position - so you really need to change that until it feels natural. If your mouse surface is too low, raise it, or vice versa. And maybe you need to find a different mouse.

RobertBowen
This, I get wrist pain and have to wear a wrist supporter, the key is to adjust the height of your keyboard and mouse correctly.
threeplusfour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 threeplusfour
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Having you chair and desk correct will also help, make sure your arms are hanging from your shoulders so they are not resting on the desk. I use 2 Razer mouse mats to soften my desk and picked up a G500 mouse so i can adjust the weight for comfort. Also take a break every hour or so and get a drink and stretch a little as it will all help. A high backed chair with lumbar support will set you back about 35ish
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

My wrist issue got so bad my pinkie was numb for almost a straight month, even off the pc. It thankfully went away.IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
Had this problem when I was just a kid, but only for two weeks, thanks to a Superman game back when 600 key presses per minute compared to 60-180 in a game meant barely passing the level or failing terribly hard.

Just be relaxed, get a chair that's comfortable and your hand sits relaxed at the level of your desk (if the hand is hanging it actually puts more stress on your wrist than "resting" your hand on the desk and mouse) and don't squeeze the mouse, just casually hold your hand on it. been 15 years since I had such problems (^ that specific problem) and I use nothing special for this and I use the PC all day long.

weisguy119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 weisguy119
Member since 2006 • 3393 Posts

There's a joke in here somewhere...

bloodreaperfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 bloodreaperfx
Member since 2006 • 415 Posts

There's a joke in here somewhere...

weisguy119
The TC should more frequently "exercise" his wrist ?...or no wait...less "strenuous activity" with said wrist? Give the poor fella' a break? Damn I dunno...
slabber44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 slabber44
Member since 2004 • 985 Posts

i use mousepad with wrist rest on both keyboard and mouse, never had any problems anymore since then.

Tuzolord
^^This^^ I've already been diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome (26 years at a assembly plant). I still get numbness from time to time while playing on PC, but this has improved how often that occurs.
Dante2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 Dante2710
Member since 2005 • 63164 Posts
Get a wrist pad as soon as you get a chance, havent had any problems every since i bought one.
CHANCESUNDANCE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 CHANCESUNDANCE
Member since 2006 • 805 Posts

with wrist pain allways use icepacks.

heat tend to worsen things.

bloodreaperfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 bloodreaperfx
Member since 2006 • 415 Posts

quit beating off so much and if u can't vicodin is good 4 pain!!

wecanfunk
Dr. House? How the heck did you get out of jail?
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#23 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

Well, just a few tips I've heard:

1. Get some wrist support, make sure you can be more comfortable with your mouse/keyboard

2. Change your positioning, you might be in a bad positioning with your wrist

3. Stop and take a break every now and then, don't go overboard

4. With some games, just go ahead and plug in a controller if you don't absolutely need the complexity and accuracy of a keyboard, its definitely much better on the wrists (though pinky numbness is pretty common for me)

marshbaboon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 marshbaboon
Member since 2005 • 417 Posts

-Chair with good elbow support.

-Arm horizontal with a gel pad mousemat.

-High dpi sensitive mouse so you barely need to move your hand.

I also have an awesome pc chair for gaming which has seen so much use it actually split in half... I couldn't let the old girl go though so I bolted her back together... better than new now!

laliberte11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 laliberte11
Member since 2008 • 4246 Posts

quit beating off so much and if u can't vicodin is good 4 pain!!

wecanfunk
thanks...i'll take it into consideration but vicodin is expensive :\
amphitheater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 amphitheater
Member since 2011 • 128 Posts
Have your arms (a bit higher from your wrist) rest on the table or pad. Or you could stop using the mouse and keyboard for ten minutes every hour. It worked for me.